test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Raising The Level Cap

Comments

• captaincrane73captaincrane73 Member Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    iconians wrote: »
    It was really part of the plot. Kor was on the Oversight Council that denied Martok his opportunity to become an officer. Martok therefore had very bad blood with Kor.

He could have gotten his own ship easily, I would think. But the 'message' of the episode was more about making amends for the past (in this case Kor regretted denying Martok a commission as an officer), rather than shoving his rank around.

The idea of the Dahar Master wasn't that they can just abuse that rank whenever they wanted, but they were also noble and honorable and knew when they should submit to those of lower station when the times call for it.

Sounds pretty reasonable to me. Thanks for the insight.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I don't get it. What's the purpose of specialization if we end up filling up everything?

Anyhow, from what it seems, it sounds like like Everquest's Alt Advance system.
  • shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    It should take a while to max out. Hopefully, we will have more specialization trees added before that happens. In the event you earn everything, the points will roll over to something else - sort of like how we roll over to Expertise now, but something better - we are not prepared to say yet.

Okay, now you've got my attention. This reminds me terribly of something I've seen that I won't mention now in order to not risk spoiling your suprise. ;)

Now, just make that awesome looking Raptor really worthwhile and bring on the Dahar Master overcoat with 'Delta Rising' and you got yourself a deal! :cool:
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • oldschooldorkoldschooldork Member Posts: 426 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    so a mature level 60 with a full tree will completely dominate a fresh level 60

didnt we just go through this with rep passives?

Yeah I'm sure we can expect a huge hit from the ever present nerf bat. I can hear it now..."it's not fair that level 60 players with everything maxed out are more powerful than newly minted level 60's" ....they swing the nerf bat...it's a hit...and look at the ball go...out of the park ladies and gentlemen...
    AGpDi8m.gif
    I don't care what the header says, I am not now, nor have I ever been, nor will I ever be, an "ARC user".
  • monkeybone13monkeybone13 Member Posts: 4,640 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    ....Skill Points will continue to be useful indefinitely.

Just like extra CXP when you reach max rank in a commendation track? I'm guessing all the extra skill points we earned can be traded in through a doff assignment, or used as a form of currency to buy special stuff, after we distribute the max amount of skill points in our skill tree.

I highly doubt it means a guaranteed cap increase to level 70 (like 1 whackjob in this thread assumed was confirmed). I think it just means we will be able to continually do something with the extra points. It could also mean if they ever did decide to increase the level cap again, it would be easier on us since we'll have skill points already saved up for any new skill trees or specializations they throw at us. :)
  • suavekssuaveks Member Posts: 1,736 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Why do I get the feeling that this "post level 60" leveling for the Specialization Trees is gonna require a LOT of time and effort to get everything maxed out...?

I mean, sure, having a use for all the otherwise useless Skill Points/Expertise is fine, but knowing Cryptic they're gonna make quite a grind out of it. I wouldn't be surprised if they'd also offer some kind of uber-XP-boost, or some other way to make players spend Zen/Dilithium instead of actually playing the game.

Also, the fact that we won't be spending any points in the existing Skill Tree kind of defeats the purpose of leveling up, don't you think? It would seem that levels 50-60 are just for show, while everything revolves around YET ANOTHER leveling system in the form of Specialization Trees. I mean, what's the point of having those 50-60 levels if we're gonna keep leveling the new system after that anyway?

Leave it to Cryptic to overcomplicate things unnecessarily.
    PyKDqad.jpg
  • vonestelvonestel Member Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    So far so good on the news from Delta Rising, with one exception. Federation characters are going to get the title of "Fleet Admiral" at level 60. Nuts. In the very article where Al “Captain Geko” Rivera announces this he repeatedly calls us players "Captains." The game is about running a starship, i.e. being a Captain, so why the heck aren't we "Captains"?! It's past time to fix the silly idea of calling everyone in Starfleet being an Admiral. Need to see a title tree? Here you go.

60 Captain, Senior
    50 Captain
    45 Commander, Senior
    40 Commander
    30 Lt. Commander
    20 Lieutenant
    10 Lieutenant, JG
    0 Ensign

Having a Captain, Senior may seem like a strange idea, but not if you know you're naval history. Read the Hornblower books (as GR did). They are FILLED with talk about where people are in seniority on the Captain's list. There is no formal change in rank or rank pips, but everyone in the fleet knows that status is vitally important. Note the scene in "Zulu" where the first thing the two officers do on meeting is figure seniority.
  • catoblepasbetacatoblepasbeta Member Posts: 1,532 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Odd that 'Dahar master' is a specific rank, I had always thought of it as something of a title that carried a degree of prestige, but existed outside of the rank system, such that a Klingon captain could be a Dahar Master, and so could a General. Little bit funny that the 'captain' level ground spawns puts a Dahar master on par with a Chief science officer of the federation or a commander of the Romulan Star Empire...makes those Dahar masters look a bit incompetent IMO considering rank-wise they are equal to a Federation Admiral now...lol

Still, this gives hope that the Dahar master coat will be showing up soon, and that's a positive in my book!

A bit disappointed that we'll be reaching Fleet Admiral level without getting that oft-hinted ability to have our bridge officers accompany us in space maps in separate ships...IMO it just doesn't feel very admiral-ish to not have a fleet backing you up.
  • venkouvenkou Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Heads Up!

Link: Perfect World Q2 2014: No One Is Perfect (Aug. 20, 2014)
    Shortened PC time spent is a key concern

The company acknowledged that time spent on PC has shortened due to the mobile transition, which is still a concern in that >85% of the revenue are generated from the PC side. Management has indicated that they will revise the PC format to ensure longer time-spent without elaborating on the details. I see this as a key concern going forward but I expect management to execute.
    Whatever is connected to this upgrade, I hope the leveling process doesn't take forever. If its connected to a reputation system type of mechanic, I can guarantee you that many more pc users will leave. We will have to wait for more details.
  • qziqzaqziqza Member Posts: 1,044 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I really hope the grind to Fleet Admiral, is hard work and lengthy
    so as to, in some way, reflect the gravity of the station and title.
    tYld1gu.gif?1
    TOS style icons used with the kind permission of irvinis.deviantart.com ©2013-2015
    edited August 2014
    I've been wondering something. Will all characters be given a free respec? Lord knows most of my toons are out and could use 1.

Or will captain retrain tokens be done away with like rep/species retrain tokens and we'll be able to respec our character fully free of charge whenever we want? :D (I can dream, can't I?)
  • tpalelenatpalelena Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I don't get it. What's the purpose of specialization if we end up filling up everything?

Anyhow, from what it seems, it sounds like like Everquest's Alt Advance system.

I think it will be a LOT of grind to fill up every specalisation tree. Like a year of xp farming.
    Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
  • askrayaskray Member Posts: 3,329 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    daveyny wrote: »
    <Tosses a box of tissues and alka-seltzer toward askray>

:cool:
    Thank you! :)
    vonestel wrote: »
    So far so good on the news from Delta Rising, with one exception. Federation characters are going to get the title of "Fleet Admiral" at level 60. Nuts. In the very article where Al “Captain Geko” Rivera announces this he repeatedly calls us players "Captains." The game is about running a starship, i.e. being a Captain, so why the heck aren't we "Captains"?! It's past time to fix the silly idea of calling everyone in Starfleet being an Admiral. Need to see a title tree? Here you go.

60 Captain, Senior
    50 Captain
    45 Commander, Senior
    40 Commander
    30 Lt. Commander
    20 Lieutenant
    10 Lieutenant, JG
    0 Ensign

Having a Captain, Senior may seem like a strange idea, but not if you know you're naval history. Read the Hornblower books (as GR did). They are FILLED with talk about where people are in seniority on the Captain's list. There is no formal change in rank or rank pips, but everyone in the fleet knows that status is vitally important. Note the scene in "Zulu" where the first thing the two officers do on meeting is figure seniority.
    I hate to tell you, but this has been beaten into a pulp for over 4 years. If it hasn't been changed by now, it's not changing. Plus, I RP an admiral so I like it :P
    Yes, I'm that Askray@Batbayer in game. Yes, I still play. No, I don't care.
    Former Community Moderator, Former SSR DJ, Now Full time father to two kids, Husband, Retail Worker.
    Tiktok: @Askray Facebook: Askray113

• stomperx99stomperx99 Member Posts: 863 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    askray wrote: »

I hate to tell you, but this has been beaten into a pulp for over 4 years. If it hasn't been changed by now, it's not changing. Plus, I RP an admiral so I like it :P

Should I burn the horses body so he can't beat it anymore?
    ZomboDroid10122015042230.jpg

I'm sorry to people who I, in the past, insulted, annoyed, etc.
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    stomperx99 wrote: »
    Should I burn the horses body so he can't beat it anymore?

Just shove it under the carpet.... nobody will even notice.

STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
    edited August 2014
    daveyny wrote: »
    Just shove it under the carpet.... nobody will even notice.

Come on, it's going to start to stink, and they can smell it....

• schmedickeschmedicke Member Posts: 229 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    So if I read the link right, 0-50 gets skill points to spend in the base skill tree where as 50+ gets skill points to spend only in the new skill tree? I don't like this. I'd rather just get points to spend in the old tree and for go the 50+ tree should I choose.
  • christianmacchristianmac Member Posts: 359 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    askray wrote: »

I run a fleet so I am an admiral. so im cool with it.
    77TH FIGHTER SQUADRON
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    stomperx99 wrote: »
    Come on, it's going to start to stink, and they can smell it....

That particular pungent fragrance has been around for quite some time now, and is mostly ignored by those who partake in the affluence of these threads.

Though hardly any of them would be willing to live by the tenet: "He Who Smelt it, Dealt it".

STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Besides this Dahar Master issue...

After all this time since there has been a content update other than a few new que missions, reputation, and lockbox to try to keep ppl logging in. Will it even live up to anything more than the normal plus a new rank grind lol. So far what they have told us about the future of the game none of it is any good news to say the least.

Gear becoming obsolete.

Current Ships becoming obsolete.

New Rank Grind.

Most likely another reputation and lockbox.

Next news will be a new holding that will take as long as a starbase does to re-purchase gear you currently have to get the mark 13 and 14 gear. Guess the game was good while it lasted maybe some of the newer players will enjoy it long enough to keep them employeed for just another year before they drop development like they have for the other Cryptic games.
  • simeion1simeion1 Member Posts: 898 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Fleet admiral. To many chief not enough Indians.
    320x240.jpg
  • zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    simeion1 wrote: »

rofl...

Every time I hear something about admirals or generals in this game it reminds me how anything in this story line ever gets done without enlisted and junior officers to do all the grunt work.

That and the line from mirror bashir we have enough captains now don't we?
    edited August 2014
    Besides this Dahar Master issue...

After all this time since there has been a content update other than a few new que missions, reputation, and lockbox to try to keep ppl logging in. Will it even live up to anything more than the normal plus a new rank grind lol. So far what they have told us about the future of the game none of it is any good news to say the least.

Gear becoming obsolete.

Current Ships becoming obsolete.

New Rank Grind.

Most likely another reputation and lockbox.

Next news will be a new holding that will take as long as a starbase does to re-purchase gear you currently have to get the mark 13 and 14 gear. Guess the game was good while it lasted maybe some of the newer players will enjoy it long enough to keep them employeed for just another year before they drop development like they have for the other Cryptic games.

What I see in this post:
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!1111oneone

• ccarmichael07ccarmichael07 Member Posts: 755 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Ahhh the old Admiral / Fleet Admiral debacle. We all knew it was coming. Sad that Cryptic didn't take this opportunity to tweak the rank system to avoid a "1 million Chiefs, 2 Braves" scenario which we have been commenting on since launch.

It was ridiculous enough having as many Vice Admirals as we do. But take that number and convert them to full Admirals, and a portion of that number to Fleet Admirals, and you begin to see just how out of whack this game is with canon.

Let's not forget that only 1....yes ONE single person holds the rank of Fleet Admiral in canon, that being the Commander in Chief of Starfleet.

:rolleyes:

"You shoot him, I shoot you, I leave both your bodies here and go out for a late night snack.
    I'm thinking maybe pancakes." ~ John Casey
    edited August 2014
    Ahhh the old Admiral / Fleet Admiral debacle. We all knew it was coming. Sad that Cryptic didn't take this opportunity to tweak the rank system to avoid a "1 million Chiefs, 2 Braves" scenario which we have been commenting on since launch.

It was ridiculous enough having as many Vice Admirals as we do. But take that number and convert them to full Admirals, and a portion of that number to Fleet Admirals, and you begin to see just how out of whack this game is with canon.

Let's not forget that only 1....yes ONE single person holds the rank of Fleet Admiral in canon, that being the Commander in Chief of Starfleet.

:rolleyes:

Dead horse. Nuff-said

edited August 2014
    simeion1 wrote: »

Too many cooks, not enough kitchens.

Too many drivers, not enough cars.

Too many doctors, not enough patience.

:P
  • rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Too many cooks, not enough kitchens.

Too many drivers, not enough cars.

Too many doctors, not enough patience.

:P

Too many Elvis fans, not enough cheeseburgers......
    edited August 2014
    rinkster wrote: »
    Too many Elvis fans, not enough cheeseburgers......

Too many cheeseburgers, not enough Elvis impersonators. :P
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    One of the joys of getting ahead is earning a new title for your rank.

Just FYI: Titles are a joke. They are worth exactly what we get w/ them. Please don't spend too much time on making new titles. I would bet you that 99% of the players haven't changed their title in years and probably couldn't tell you what one they have active w/o looking.

"Hey, you got employee of the month!"

"Does it come with any money?"
    "No."
    "Then why the hell should I give a damn?"