test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Small improvements to crafting

walshicuswalshicus Member Posts: 1,314 Arc User
So I think we can all agree that there is scope for improvement with the crafting system. I personally don't agree with a lot of the vitriol that some members have thrown in its direction and I'm enjoying using it, but there are a few quick wins that I think will get players more involved.

The first is that high-quality, long duration consumables should be craftable at low levels. Other players have gone into more detail as to why this makes sense so I won't bother; but I do support it.

The second is that the level 15 VR/UR items should be changed slightly. The minimum craft level should be reduced to 10, but a Blue quality outcome should also be added. Players at level 10 should expect to get the blue outcome, while players at level 15 should expect to never see the blue outcome.

This has the advantage of making levels 10-15 more interesting for players who would otherwise have no incentive to craft other than to grind through to 15.

What do you guys think?
http://mmo-economics.com - analysing the economic interactions in MMOs.
Post edited by walshicus on

Comments

• Options
    jeffel82jeffel82 Member Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I agree that craftable consumables would be great.

I'm personally fine with restricting the high-end stuff to Level 15 (even though I'm still Level 10, myself).

I keep trying to put myself into the shoes of a new player, starting the crafting system from a low level. It would take me time and effort to level the system as I level my character, and the Level 15 cutoff might seem more reasonable.
    You're right. The work here is very important.
    tacofangs wrote: »
    ...talking to players is like being a mall Santa. Everyone immediately wants to tell you all of the things they want, and you are absolutely powerless to deliver 99% of them.
  • Options
    azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I'm still not impressed with the crafting "improvements".

The UI is lackluster

More of a Dilithum Sink than the old crafting (which supposed to be the reason why people wanted a revamp in the first place)

The inability to craft due to lack of VR Materials. (C-store is a ripoff and Queued R&D mats hardly ever drops).

And on top of it all, with DQ coming out in two months, everything is going to become obsolete.

That's why a lot of people are just doing the daily click til the accolades are done and not bother with crafting ever again.
  • Options
    walshicuswalshicus Member Posts: 1,314 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    That's fair enough if some people don't want to engage with the system. Not everything needs to appeal to everybody.

I know *I've* enjoyed working the system though. I used 300k Dilithium on the R&D weekend to get to 15 in projectiles and I've been in profit since, putting out as many Particle Emission Torpedoes as I can without buying materials from the Exchange.

Not sure I agree with you on the scarcity of VR materials. I've got hard numbers showing a 1/3 chance to get a VR material drop in any Elite queue with an average of 4.2 given when they are awarded. That, coupled with the R&D Doff Assignment (which is a great way to convert Dil to EC...) keeps me well stocked.

But that's neither here nor there.
    http://mmo-economics.com - analysing the economic interactions in MMOs.
  • Options
    jeffel82jeffel82 Member Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    The inability to craft due to lack of VR Materials. (C-store is a ripoff and Queued R&D mats hardly ever drops).

Funnily enough, my biggest challenge while leveling the system is a lack of Rare (blue) materials.
    You're right. The work here is very important.
    tacofangs wrote: »
    ...talking to players is like being a mall Santa. Everyone immediately wants to tell you all of the things they want, and you are absolutely powerless to deliver 99% of them.
  • Options
    risingstar2009risingstar2009 Member Posts: 329 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Would be nice if they brought back the reusable batteries.

That should be in the crafting system.
    Star Trek Battles: For those who want to Play Star Trek Online as it WAS MEANT TO BE!!!

Our Battles
  • Options
    vawlkusvawlkus Member Posts: 348 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Given that the last patches for the DOFF system broke both that and the crafting systems for a good chunk of the playerbase, it seems a little silly to do much improving until that gets fixed.
  • Options
    hartzillahartzilla Member Posts: 1,177 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    dark4blood wrote: »
    On topic: My answer is no to lowering crafting to 10 as it is REALLY easy to get to lvl 10 in anything, which defeats the point of lvling crafting.

There's a point to leveling crafting?

It takes a month to level a rep and get access to all the shinnies in it.

So why would I or anyone really be interested in a system that takes 3 months to get to the good stuff and 6 total for all the schools and almost 2 years to max out so that the system is probably still useful after the level cap increase and in case Cryptic decides you need level 20 to upgrade stuff, when I can just do the reps and buy that stuff in way less time?

especially since after the grind there is still a timegate on crafting as you need to run elite ques just to get the materials needed craft the components I need dilithium for to get the endgame level stuff and then you get to deal with the random number generator.

Honestly the only use I can see for the crafting system is making gear for leveling up another character so they can stock up on dilithium and ECs for the reps to get endgame gear if I don't just buy stuff from the fleet store with the saved dilithium.