test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Crafting for Alts

xuelxuel Member Posts: 165 Arc User
Is there going to be a system put into place for RnD for alts like there is for rep. I for one would like to have the lvl 15 traits on my alt's, but do not want to go though the whole long lvl'n time.
Post edited by xuel on

Comments

• anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I am sure they will find a way to allow you to use a good quantity of your dil to sponsor alts.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • berginsbergins Member Posts: 3,450 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    anazonda wrote: »
    I am sure they will find a way to allow you to use a good quantity of your dil to sponsor alts.
    At first, I thought "This!" but then I realized there already IS a dil-based way to accelerate the process for any character, not just alts doing it a second time.
    "Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock
  • aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    bergins wrote: »
    At first, I thought "This!" but then I realized there already IS a dil-based way to accelerate the process for any character, not just alts doing it a second time.

Which basically makes the appropriate response to the OP "You're welcome." :D
  • orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    "Research Notes" would make a perfect name for the hypothetical Sponsorship Token-like item IMO.
  • wilbor2wilbor2 Member Posts: 1,684 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    If they add sponsor tokens to the crafting i belive it will cost 50-200k to get :-(
    gs9kwcxytstg.jpg
  • anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    orangeitis wrote: »
    "Research Notes" would make a perfect name for the hypothetical Sponsorship Token-like item IMO.

Datas secret stash ^^
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • architect13architect13 Member Posts: 1,076 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Do you want the sponsorship so at the end you can get the traits?
    Have you tried the new forum on your phone?
  • bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    i cant see them introducing a sponsorship token for crafting.
    crafting is not a reputation based system it is totally differant and totally seperate.

at the end of the day there is no need to repeat crafting on all your alts, with reputation the end game rewards were bound to character so they could not be sold on or transfered this made it nessisary to complete the reputation on all characters that you wanted the end game sets on, with crafting the top level items have never been bound and i cant see that changing with this new update so you can list any unwanted items on the exchange send to a fleet friend or send to an alt.
    so you have no need to complete the crafting leveling on all alts, just do it on your main character then craft on him only then send gear to your als as and when you want to.

of course you can level all your characters if you want to but for anyone with a lot of alts they will likly not bother and at the end of the day there is no real need anyway.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• havokreignhavokreign Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I dont see the point in maxing all the trees for each character.

My main has 4 queues, so I'm doing 4 of the 7 schools. The other 3 schools I'm doing at the same time on one of my alts so I can finish all of them simultaneously.

Everything made is transferable, and I share my R&D mats between them anyway.

Why put yourself through all the extra grind for an accolade and a title?
  • glassguitarglassguitar Member Posts: 426 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    havokreign wrote: »
    I dont see the point in maxing all the trees for each character.

My main has 4 queues, so I'm doing 4 of the 7 schools. The other 3 schools I'm doing at the same time on one of my alts so I can finish all of them simultaneously.

Everything made is transferable, and I share my R&D mats between them anyway.

Why put yourself through all the extra grind for an accolade and a title?

The OP wants access to the Trait Unlocks for each school for the alts.
  • rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    xuel wrote: »
    Is there going to be a system put into place for RnD for alts like there is for rep. I for one would like to have the lvl 15 traits on my alt's, but do not want to go though the whole long lvl'n time.

Interesting idea.

I'd have to say that a sponsorship token like the rep systems probably wont fly.

I imagine the domenowfordilithium button is a bit too lucrative to undercut.

But if we're talking just the traits, rather than the actual crafting skill, then perhaps theres a case.

Perhaps, after the first one, traits are accrued at level ten rather than fifteen
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    my beams are level 10, 2 more levels and i will have gotten enough to craft captain level beams at almost every chance in VR and half a chance in RA.so im intent on level 15 crafting on beams.

my engineering is level 8 and got a VR warp core engineer from the event which helps big time, but im splitting that with ground weapons at level 7.

my shields and science levels are not that great, level 4 and i have barely looked at cannons which is level 1.

not only am i going to get to level 15 beams the hard way/usual way/no dil cheating :P. then i can get the final craft slot unlock which will make a bigger help when i shove the beams level 16 off due to the dramatic increase in time i would imagine. figure its gonna take another 5 days for level 11 in beams another week to level 12.. rough estimation of about a month and a bit to 2 months.

the crafting token on alts at minimum level 15 crafting needed on the main would be a big help with even more slots, 2 toons working around the clock with resources needed to get all the materials needed at different ranks eventually... yeah end up cornering the market to your own goods but totally worthless/dirt cheap :P.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • xuelxuel Member Posts: 165 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I know there's not really a reason to lvl crafting on alts, other then the traits you get at lvl 15 of each school. That is the whole reason i'd want a faster way to lvl RnD on alts is to get these traits. Like beam school for my Engineer with his Gal-x ship, my kdf alt on Projectial school for the b-rel bird of prey (torp boat)
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    While Crafting for alts doesn't exist, one thing to consider could be to level only 2 or 3 crafting schools on one character, and spread your overall crafting across multiple characters. Than you can actually do the 20h project, and the smaller projects.

That said... the smaller projects seem pretty much irrelevant. The only things that will generate something of use are those that produce components you need to build the actual items you can later equip. But those are sper-fast projects, so you don't really will earn much skill pints, unless you queue up them one after another.
    Only the components that need very rare matierals and/or dilithium have significant crafting times - and getting the materials needed is a slow process, since crafting boxes are not guaranteed to contain the very rare crafting materials.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I really get the feeling that as the crafting update is now new and improved there is little chance there will be a short cut for alts, if they had intended for this to be implemented I think they would have introduced it along with the update.
    and in any case isn't there pretty much a short cut built in anyway with the daily bonus mission you can wiz through the levels pretty quickly anyway.

within no time at all you can start 4 missions a day on each character from then on it doesn't take two minutes each character to start up the daily missions especially if you do it at the same time you do your other doff missions for each character if your just after the Trait Unlocks for each school anyway they will all roll in pretty quick.

I get the feeling they introduced the reputation shortcut for alts because they realised that it was starting to tick players off each time they introduced a new rep and I believe there are a lot more reps in the pipeline.
    crafting on the other hand is a closed system, what you see is what you get there will never be any new schools added in so no likelihood that anybody will be upset by them ever adding to it in the future.

as all of the crafting materials you seem to need for the daily mission just for levelling up you seem to get by doing regular doff missions anyway its not like you have to do anything that will take up loads of time like you have to with the reputation.

as I have been levelling up all my characters about the same so far if they do ever introduce a levelling shortcut in the future which I very much doult then all my characters will be at max level anyhow by then.

that's a funny term that, 'new and improved' how can something be new if its improved and how can it be improved if its new ? surely you can only improve on something old.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.