test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[sug] How about two slots - one for the armor, one for the environmental suit?

malazancommandermalazancommander Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited August 2014 in Controls and User Interface
Will we ever have two slots for the armours? One for the normal armour, and one for the environmental suits? Like that, we wouldn't have to switch all the time (especially when our boffs need a suit in some places - such as one of the assignments on New Romulus. I assume on Nukara as well. I believe one of your boffs needs an enviro suit on).

And having to keep at the very least 5 enviro suit in your inventory is slot consuming at times.
Post edited by malazancommander on

Comments

• trinitycompletedtrinitycompleted Member Posts: 108 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Seconded.

The switch between regular armor/environmental suit could easily be toggled using the existing button that "turns on" your EVO suit while wearing it.

But do you think it should be a straight switch, or should they rebalance the stats of EVO suits and let them stack with regular armor when the EVO suit is activated? For example, the EVO suit would no longer give any regular defense, but simply boost the pertinent resistances along with what ever bells and whistles the special suits provide.
    Don't phaze me, bro!
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Hrmmm, though it doesn't directly address your issue...er...all of my BOFFs are running the Solanae suits. So there's no carrying around EV suits. Not sure what purpose the EV suits even provide at this point, since you can outfit all your BOFFs with Solanae from a single run.

http://sto.gamepedia.com/Mission:_A_Step_Between_Stars#Notes

Just something in the interim, eh?
  • azniadeetazniadeet Member Posts: 1,871 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Lifers can also pick up as many Combat EV suits as they wish from their respective consoles at ESD/Qo'nos/New Romulus.

Would be nice to see EV suits as a separate slot beside armor. That way, they're not in your inventory, and when you go into an EV-required environment, they just auto-equip. Then every BOFF or Toon can have both equipped at all times, and not have to swap them in and out.

And I'm not saying their benefits should even stack or anything- just let them both have a slot on the player screen, so that they automatically swap back and forth.
  • landdonlanddon Member Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I concur, it is rather immersive breaking to see in every message it receive one of my bridge officers the still wearing the environmental combat suit as well.
  • killdozer9211killdozer9211 Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    +1 to op

It's really annoying to have to go, open up my skills menu, unlock my bar, re-pin the ability that got removed, and then lock and close the menu again every time I swap out the armor from my ground set to go dilithium mining for 5 minutes.

Seriously, when you log on, count how many clicks it takes:

Starting at sector space view -> warp/transwarp -> vlugta -> enter -> ishil -> dil mining-> rich dil mining -> exit menu -> status-> boff -> take ev suit -> your character -> put on ev suit-> exit status -> turn on ev suit-> exit airlock -> FDMAA associate -> mining -> I have a claim -> ok -> ok (start mining, finish mining) -> hail ishil -> complete -> exit -> beam up -> status(+inventory) -> equip rep armor -> boff status -> put ev suit back on boff -> close status -> skill book -> unlock tray -> *scroll* place ability -> re lock tray -> close skill book.

God help you if you want to add 3 fleet dil mining assignments, the dilithium mine doff assignments, dilithium mine refining doff assignment to all that.

That Half-hour span of game time features more clicks than twice as long playing stfs and probably even the doffing between cooldowns, it's insane. Enough so that, often, I don't bother with dil mining at all, so my claims just sit there in my bank, and I never run out them, so I never need to open new boxes.

So the current problems:

-the clumsiness of how EV suits are currently implimented is directly correlated with my rate of opening lock boxes.

-My boffs have to always wear them so they don't take up inventory slots, so there's no need to buy costumes I might want to use for Boffs now because the dude's in an EV suit anyway.

-their sub-par combat stats, even the "combat" ones and the ones from the nukara rep which have such a small and largely inconsequential niche role, mean that I have no demand/need to acquire these items, especially at the significant zen cost they bear and their limited utility and the ease of substituting them. Seriously, I ground out all of my first Nukara rep doing the Nukara ground dailies in my free EV suit from Boldly They Rode, and never found myself wanting for anything better. Eventually I ground out the Nukara ground set with the EV suit and AP/Cry full auto rifle and immediately regretted it, because not only did it not make a significant difference on Nukara, but it was useless anywhere else.

TL;DR- These items in their current state are an economic lead balloon.
    1)They complicate daily tasks and are inconvenient, discouraging microtransactions via reducing demand for microtransaction products in at least 2 instances before considering their similar effect onn bank/inventory/crafting/lobi items, which I'd be happy to elaborate on if needed.
    2)They don't generate demand for themselves. Nobody looks at a combat EV suit and says "Aww man, I need that, then I wouldn't be so dead." Instead it's "man, I can't believe I used that annoyingly mined dilithium for this"

My suggested solution:

From ev suit stats it's clear that you don't want us to wear them all the time and use them in combat. So why make them count as armor at all?

If it's too much trouble to make a separate ev suit slot, at least move them to devices or something. That'd be slightly better, because devices don't complete sets and aren't absolutely essential for the mandatory endgame PVE grind. At least there, it's an actual economic tradeoff with viable arguments for why you'd keep the ev suit equipped because it's no longer Option vs Necessity, it's Option vs Option.

Alternatively, what about incorporating EV ability into kit frames? It could be a frame mod: [EV]
  • voporakvoporak Member Posts: 5,621 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    +1

Preferably, I'd want what trinitycompleted suggested so that I can keep my set bonuses. But if nothing else, I'd take an auto-equip for the EV suit.
    I ask nothing but that you remember me.
  • ddesjardinsddesjardins Member Posts: 3,056 Media Corps
    edited July 2014
    Great comments from everyone - +1, +1 and +1.

Simplify the costume issue.

Each Boff you have under your command has three costume 'settings':

1.) Active Duty
    2.) Armour / Environmental
    3.) Optional (environmental or off-duty)

No more, no less with a free account. With uniform templates captains can easily make seasonal or fleet changes without much effort - or use the third spot for the Environmental Suit.

Armour, Shields would have the traditional 'slot' to fill with gear. I still believe that Environmental suits are something you should have to physically use - take out fo the closet, check subsystems, recharge etc. before putting them on. Can't make this too easy for the mouth breathers.

Add up to three additional costume slots for boffs for 800 Zen account wide.

For captains, have the same set-up, but also the ability to create and store up to 5 templates. Templates allow the creation of complete costumes that can override the existing layouts with one click. Nothing frustrates me more than having to 'build' everything for each boff.

Add up to three additional costume templates for captains for 1600 Zen account wide.
  • hajmyishajmyis Member Posts: 405 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Will we ever have two slots for the armours? One for the normal armour, and one for the environmental suits? Like that, we wouldn't have to switch all the time (especially when our boffs need a suit in some places - such as one of the assignments on New Romulus. I assume on Nukara as well. I believe one of your boffs needs an enviro suit on).

And having to keep at the very least 5 enviro suit in your inventory is slot consuming at times.

um are you too lazy to hit the "I" key and I dont know click the EV suit to move it?
    "Frankly, not sure why you're on a one man nerf campaign. "
  • voporakvoporak Member Posts: 5,621 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    hajmyis wrote: »
    um are you too lazy to hit the "I" key and I dont know click the EV suit to move it?

It's called a quality of life improvement. Ever wonder why in the replicator the food item section was moved below the stuff needed for the rep systems? How about when they added the little button on ground items that lets you disable visuals in one click instead of two?
    I ask nothing but that you remember me.
  • hajmyishajmyis Member Posts: 405 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    voporak wrote: »
    It's called a quality of life improvement. Ever wonder why in the replicator the food item section was moved below the stuff needed for the rep systems? How about when they added the little button on ground items that lets you disable visuals in one click instead of two?

"quality of life improvement." oh I am sorry, i did not know your quality of life revolves around a dev of star trek online cutting out 2 secs of work for you. my mistake
    "Frankly, not sure why you're on a one man nerf campaign. "
  • trinitycompletedtrinitycompleted Member Posts: 108 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    "quality of life improvement." oh I am sorry, i did not know your quality of life revolves around a dev of star trek online cutting out 2 secs of work for you. my mistake

Play nice.

It's not about the quality of his or her literal life. Tiny fixes and efficiencies in a game are referred to as "Quality of Life improvements." It's a bit jargony, but its used very frequently.

I think the first time I personally encountered the phrase in this context was way back in patch notes for Diablo II.
    Don't phaze me, bro!
  • malazancommandermalazancommander Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Seconded.

The switch between regular armor/environmental suit could easily be toggled using the existing button that "turns on" your EVO suit while wearing it.

But do you think it should be a straight switch, or should they rebalance the stats of EVO suits and let them stack with regular armor when the EVO suit is activated? For example, the EVO suit would no longer give any regular defense, but simply boost the pertinent resistances along with what ever bells and whistles the special suits provide.

A straight switch for sure. It wouldn't make sense to boost stats if you're actually switching armour.

Hrmmm, though it doesn't directly address your issue...er...all of my BOFFs are running the Solanae suits. So there's no carrying around EV suits. Not sure what purpose the EV suits even provide at this point, since you can outfit all your BOFFs with Solanae from a single run.

http://sto.gamepedia.com/Mission:_A_Step_Between_Stars#Notes

Just something in the interim, eh?

No, doesn't help lol. I mean, I have them too, but they are still considered EV suits (just with a dif name). There are some armour that are better, except for the place where an EV is needed.

azniadeet wrote: »
    Lifers can also pick up as many Combat EV suits as they wish from their respective consoles at ESD/Qo'nos/New Romulus.

Would be nice to see EV suits as a separate slot beside armor. That way, they're not in your inventory, and when you go into an EV-required environment, they just auto-equip. Then every BOFF or Toon can have both equipped at all times, and not have to swap them in and out.

And I'm not saying their benefits should even stack or anything- just let them both have a slot on the player screen, so that they automatically swap back and forth.

That's exactly my point :)

+1 to op

It's really annoying to have to go, open up my skills menu, unlock my bar, re-pin the ability that got removed, and then lock and close the menu again every time I swap out the armor from my ground set to go dilithium mining for 5 minutes.

Seriously, when you log on, count how many clicks it takes:

Starting at sector space view -> warp/transwarp -> vlugta -> enter -> ishil -> dil mining-> rich dil mining -> exit menu -> status-> boff -> take ev suit -> your character -> put on ev suit-> exit status -> turn on ev suit-> exit airlock -> FDMAA associate -> mining -> I have a claim -> ok -> ok (start mining, finish mining) -> hail ishil -> complete -> exit -> beam up -> status(+inventory) -> equip rep armor -> boff status -> put ev suit back on boff -> close status -> skill book -> unlock tray -> *scroll* place ability -> re lock tray -> close skill book.

God help you if you want to add 3 fleet dil mining assignments, the dilithium mine doff assignments, dilithium mine refining doff assignment to all that.

That Half-hour span of game time features more clicks than twice as long playing stfs and probably even the doffing between cooldowns, it's insane. Enough so that, often, I don't bother with dil mining at all, so my claims just sit there in my bank, and I never run out them, so I never need to open new boxes.

So the current problems:

-the clumsiness of how EV suits are currently implimented is directly correlated with my rate of opening lock boxes.

-My boffs have to always wear them so they don't take up inventory slots, so there's no need to buy costumes I might want to use for Boffs now because the dude's in an EV suit anyway.

-their sub-par combat stats, even the "combat" ones and the ones from the nukara rep which have such a small and largely inconsequential niche role, mean that I have no demand/need to acquire these items, especially at the significant zen cost they bear and their limited utility and the ease of substituting them. Seriously, I ground out all of my first Nukara rep doing the Nukara ground dailies in my free EV suit from Boldly They Rode, and never found myself wanting for anything better. Eventually I ground out the Nukara ground set with the EV suit and AP/Cry full auto rifle and immediately regretted it, because not only did it not make a significant difference on Nukara, but it was useless anywhere else.

TL;DR- These items in their current state are an economic lead balloon.
    1)They complicate daily tasks and are inconvenient, discouraging microtransactions via reducing demand for microtransaction products in at least 2 instances before considering their similar effect onn bank/inventory/crafting/lobi items, which I'd be happy to elaborate on if needed.
    2)They don't generate demand for themselves. Nobody looks at a combat EV suit and says "Aww man, I need that, then I wouldn't be so dead." Instead it's "man, I can't believe I used that annoyingly mined dilithium for this"

My suggested solution:

From ev suit stats it's clear that you don't want us to wear them all the time and use them in combat. So why make them count as armor at all?

If it's too much trouble to make a separate ev suit slot, at least move them to devices or something. That'd be slightly better, because devices don't complete sets and aren't absolutely essential for the mandatory endgame PVE grind. At least there, it's an actual economic tradeoff with viable arguments for why you'd keep the ev suit equipped because it's no longer Option vs Necessity, it's Option vs Option.

Alternatively, what about incorporating EV ability into kit frames? It could be a frame mod: [EV]

Pretty good ideas in there. Nice job illustrating the clicking aspect. As for wearing an EV all the time, it can get annoying, as there are better armour out there. As for the suggestions in the last part, those are acceptable alternatives. Though I still prefer what I was suggesting lol, a new slot, that automatically changes to that suit in specific areas where you need to change gear (ie. Nukara Prime).

Great comments from everyone - +1, +1 and +1.

Simplify the costume issue.

Each Boff you have under your command has three costume 'settings':

1.) Active Duty
    2.) Armour / Environmental
    3.) Optional (environmental or off-duty)

No more, no less with a free account. With uniform templates captains can easily make seasonal or fleet changes without much effort - or use the third spot for the Environmental Suit.

Armour, Shields would have the traditional 'slot' to fill with gear. I still believe that Environmental suits are something you should have to physically use - take out fo the closet, check subsystems, recharge etc. before putting them on. Can't make this too easy for the mouth breathers.

Add up to three additional costume slots for boffs for 800 Zen account wide.

For captains, have the same set-up, but also the ability to create and store up to 5 templates. Templates allow the creation of complete costumes that can override the existing layouts with one click. Nothing frustrates me more than having to 'build' everything for each boff.

Add up to three additional costume templates for captains for 1600 Zen account wide.

Problem is, costumes actually have zero benefits in terms of protection. In other words, I actually equip the Dyson Spere rep gear costume on my guys, even though (at first) only my Captain had the actual gear. So, it brought them no bonuses or anything.

I concur about the +1, +1 and +1 to everyone :)

As voporak said. It basically breaks the mood you place yourself into.

Play nice.

It's not about the quality of his or her literal life. Tiny fixes and efficiencies in a game are referred to as "Quality of Life improvements." It's a bit jargony, but its used very frequently.

I think the first time I personally encountered the phrase in this context was way back in patch notes for Diablo II.