test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The Cooperative the next Mini Faction?

Comments

• valastsarranvalastsarran Member Posts: 46
    edited August 2014
    They shouldn't introduce any new factions in near future.

Why?

They need to equalize the ones they have now before addition of another psuedo-faction.

Granted, the KDF has come leaps and bounds over what it was in the beginning...but still has a ways to go. Same with Romulans and their weird quarter-faction status.
  • ussinterceptussintercept Member Posts: 627 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    benben500 wrote: »
    If I remember correctly, the Cooperative did not consist of individual minds. Didn't they create a mini-collective with all the Borg on the planet? After that all the drones started working together. If they were still individuals, they would still have fought each other. Also, the cube was destroyed, so it would probably be random pieces of debris mostly orbiting the planet. The cooperative had no other ships (although they could possibly construct more after much time).

That, and playable Borg is ridiculous. They are still drones.

The problem of a barren world still persists. They had scraps and that was pretty much it. Ill have to rewatch the episode. But Im pretty sure they made it clear the only way to survive the harsh conditions was to force everyone into the Cooperative. But that wouldnt fix the serious lack of resources on the planet...Metals, Plastics, Water, Flora, Fauna, etc...All of which the planet lacked.

Atleast after Earth was devastated by WW3 it still had more then enough left over resources to rebuild. I cant fathom how the Cooperative would over come the lack of resources....

I was under the impression at the end of the episode the Cooperative was a doomed Colony. That in few decades thered be little if anyone left.
  • nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    jexsamx wrote: »
    Anyone who did is probably an idiot. Granted, it's their money to spend as they see fit, but just because you have the right to do something doesn't mean that something isn't dumb.

But just because dropping between $200 and $300 for one playable race is crazy doesn't mean introducing a whole faction of Liberated Borg wouldn't be pretty damn insulting and would devalue one of the perks of being LTS. There's just no reasonable way to do a Cooperative faction that isn't going to step on an LTS's toes.

Best you'll get is a Cooperative lockbox, but even that better be released simultaneously with new Borg stuff for LTS.

well they could make the collective weaker then liberated borg or give liberated borg a new op trait. and a cube(or a new vet faction ship) as a new perk though I know that'll cause a bunch of whining.

personally I don't want any new faction they can't balance the two and a half they got now.

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,865 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    A faction made from a group of people who wanted to be left alone to their own devices, a faction who didn't even have a single starship?

Lets say they had their original 80,000 people which of course we know they didn't have near that many...must be having lots and lots of intercourse with multiple partners and as soon as they have a baby move on to get pregnant again...gonna take a lot of children to be able to build anything worth while.

But they wont be giving birth to children with Borg implants, their babies will be normal human, romulans, klingons, ect ect...

So unless they forcefully turn Borg implants onto their own children I don't see why there would be anything left but some old former Borg...it's been 42 years since they were cut off from the collective...42 years is a big chunk of time for even a Romulan or Klingon...
    Can't have a honest conversation because of a white knight with power
  • azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    It is seeming like they had a discussion internally on how to TRIBBLE off every kind of player and call it expansion 2.

Yes, it's clear they really put some thought into it. :P
    lianthelia wrote: »
    A faction made from a group of people who wanted to be left alone to their own devices, a faction who didn't even have a single starship?

Lets say they had their original 80,000 people which of course we know they didn't have near that many...must be having lots and lots of intercourse with multiple partners and as soon as they have a baby move on to get pregnant again...gonna take a lot of children to be able to build anything worth while.

But they wont be giving birth to children with Borg implants, their babies will be normal human, romulans, klingons, ect ect...

So unless they forcefully turn Borg implants onto their own children I don't see why there would be anything left but some old former Borg...it's been 42 years since they were cut off from the collective...42 years is a big chunk of time for even a Romulan or Klingon...

You bring a good point - Will Cryptic have the offspring be normal or will they be cyberized?

Personally, I hope that their children will be normal, but they increased their population at the same time by liberating drones.
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    They shouldn't introduce any new factions in near future.

Why?

They need to equalize the ones they have now before addition of another psuedo-faction.

Granted, the KDF has come leaps and bounds over what it was in the beginning...but still has a ways to go. Same with Romulans and their weird quarter-faction status.

There is no way to equalize all the factions due to one simple fact. There is not enough players to justify 3 factions. It seems like with the current changes, Cryptic is going for just one faction. The last time that Romulan only, Fed only, or KDF only content was added to the game was Legacy of Romulus.
  • ddesjardinsddesjardins Member Posts: 3,056 Media Corps
    edited August 2014
    Playable Borg along the lines of The Cooperative was mentioned in an off-hand way in a podcast a while ago. Frankly I like the idea as true Borg would be almost unplayable. At least with the Cooperative, individuality would allow for Captains.

This would open the door for a Borg/Cooperative schism, producing among other things a Borg Lockbox.

Given that the first data drop in Cryptic posts speaks of a mysterious new force, I suspect it's a resurgent Vaadwaur. It's the one culture they have not touched upon in the Vegas presentation that has the most war-like potential.
  • nachtfangennachtfangen Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    This game is so inherently flawed from its core outward that whatever the next playable faction is won't make a darrn.

As soon as they went 'pay to win' they lost and, in time, those who don't want to pay will trickle out and leave a core of blow-hards trying to hold together a game with a concurrent user count of below 100.

Until they separate DIL or anything purchasable with RMT from game progress I will never tell anyone that this game is worth approaching.

In the last month I've turned three potential players away, and I will continue to do so. Two were hardcore trek fans and the third was just looking for a new game and his wallet is pretty deep.

May STO die.
  • amosov78amosov78 Member Posts: 1,495 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    How would they implement the gameplay mechanic for when the Cooperative asserts direct control over your avatar, like they did to Chakotay at the end of "Unity"? The Cooperative, for all their "noble" intentions, acted no differently to the Borg Collective when they needed to achieve their particular objectives. After reading the blog even their attempts to "liberate" Borg drones, and add them to their own numbers, isn't really that much different to how the Collective justifies swelling its own numbers.
    U.S.S. Endeavour NCC-71895 - Nebula-class
    Commanding Officer: Captain Pyotr Ramonovich Amosov
    Dedication Plaque: "Nil Intentatum Reliquit"
  • snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    xiaoping88 wrote: »
    I despise the very idea.

I love the idea. It's awesome. I want to play my Liberated/Co-Op Borgified Ocampan in an Undine ship with a Kazon Console.

Sign me the **** up! Star Trek! YEAH!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • kitsunesnoutkitsunesnout Member Posts: 1,210 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I have been waiting for this faction forever, and this lifetime subscription perk argument is silly, because that in no way gets devalued because you still get the EXCLUSIVE ability to play as a borgified character in the KDF or FEDS without being a part of the Cooperative faction! And they'll make more money from selling that factions ships than they ever will Lifetime subs. And the lifers aren't going to be hurt a bit except for selfish ego as they still have an exclusive ability to be a borg FED or KDF officer while NOT a part of the Cooperative!!!
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Anyone else think that the Cooperative would/could/may make a great mini-faction like the Romulans? It'd allow people to play a "Borg" faction without actually playing a drone, something that has in the past sparked debate in the whole Borg faction argument.

Since the next expansion is set in the delta quadrant, and the brief history we've been given does say the Cooperative is active, all could lead to a well transitioned faction.

I for one would start playing again for that. I've always wanted a Borg-like faction, playing a liberated klingon and/or human just wasn't cutting it for me. :D

-Quiiliitiila

this strikes me as odd, mostly because we have no idea who the new leader of the cooperative is or if their agenda is still to use someone for some reason. considering the hakeev holographic conditioning your romulan toon toon endured, its not outside the realm of chance there will be some sort of mission where you get used and tricked into another bear trap.

i could see something like a visit to the cooperative homeworld and see what they have done, have a little talk and such but in the end they strike me as a group looking out for number one alone more then as a group that just wants to help everyone else. need a bit more detail on the storyline before wondering if there are hints towards a new mini faction.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • jodarkriderjodarkrider Member Posts: 2,097 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    It would be somewhat neat, but the devs said no new faction is coming in this expansion iirc... also, as much as I'd like this, I think the efforts should be focused on current factions, than any more new factions/mini-factions and what have you...
    [10:20] Your Lunge deals 4798 (2580) Physical Damage(Critical) to Tosk of Borg.

Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator
    "bIghojchugh DaneH, Dumev pagh. bIghojqangbe'chugh, DuQaHlaH pagh."
    "Learn lots. Don't judge. Laugh for no reason. Be nice. Seek happiness." ~Day[9] 
    "Your fun isn't wrong." ~LaughingTrendy

Find me on Twitterverse - @jodarkrider

• rezkingrezking Member Posts: 1,109 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I dislike the idea of another mini-faction.
    The Borg deserve a full fledged faction and the game needs an OpFor so PvP can be PvP again.
    NO to ARC
    RIP KDF and PvP 2014-07-17 Season 9.5 - Death by Dev
  • reynoldsxdreynoldsxd Member Posts: 977 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    What homeworlds did we see in voyager?

Certainly not the Kobali, and the cooperative is far fetched because noone who had any experience with the borg is ever going to trust those guys. Especially not when they are rocking borg ships too.
    The Cooperative still employ the tech of the borg and is not above abusing it to get what it wants.
    I suggest you go back and watch that episode, they are massive dickwagglers.

AS for unimatrix zero: The link that linked all the drones in their sleep, and the dreamworld, were a freak occurrence withing the Borgs hive mind. It was not an artificially created thing. There weren't drones going someday: "Hey lets create a dream-dimesnion, i totally wanna freddy kruger away in my off duty hours!"
    Unimatrix zero was terminated, the link between the drones severed. (if you remember, had the link not ceased to exist, the queen would have gone total Endl
    edited August 2014
    It would be somewhat neat, but the devs said no new faction is coming in this expansion iirc... also, as much as I'd like this, I think the efforts should be focused on current factions, than any more new factions/mini-factions and what have you...

they stated something along the lines of it back then as it being not in the immediate future but that was a while back. and the exact word alludes my thinking because going back through the blogs on season 8 where it should of been, i dont see it there at all neither in season 9 but the exact word was something subjective in regards to the future events which i didnt agree with. right now i would sooner keep my eyes open to both the thin and thick end of this thing.
    edited August 2014
    Not to mention that the cooperative DID force the link on all of the ex drones, no matter if the ex drones wanted that or not.

So in my book, they are already foul apple that needs a phaser to the face.
    edited August 2014
    reynoldsxd wrote: »
    Not to mention that the cooperative DID force the link on all of the ex drones, no matter if the ex drones wanted that or not.

So in my book, they are already foul apple that needs a phaser to the face.

the cooperative struck me as desperate, lonely and confused at first, they needed direction, to bring order to chaos... sounds familiar, doesnt it? :P

they eventually got what they wanted, as much as i loathe to mention anything about that reckless janeway, she had a point, how long will their ideals last with such power. give em another chance but keep an eye on them all the same.
    edited August 2014
    With all being said.. I'd still rather see more of Borg Cooperative in the upcoming expansion, than Kobali, who prey on the dead and force their own ways on them and beware if you try to get away. How is that not seen as more/equally messed up, than what the Collective does, is beyond me... :confused:

"Learn lots. Don't judge. Laugh for no reason. Be nice. Seek happiness." ~Day[9] 

edited August 2014
    the cooperative struck me as desperate, lonely and confused at first, they needed direction, to bring order to chaos... sounds familiar, doesnt it? :P

they eventually got what they wanted, as much as i loathe to mention anything about that reckless janeway, she had a point, how long will their ideals last with such power. give em another chance but keep an eye on them all the same.

Cooprative lady: "Chakotay you are a godsend!"
    Chakotay: "Lol wut?!"
    Cooprative lady: "Please, we are ex borg and this planet sucks, can you help us get to another planet that does not suck?"
    Chakotay: "Sure why not, we have been hauling other asshats around before, we have the know and the how."
    Janeway: "Attack, my leaping killer poison facehugger-tarantulas!
    Cooprative lady: "Tarantulas do not leap or hug faces."
    Janeway: "THEY DO NOW!!!"
  • snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Cooprative lady: "Chakotay you are a godsend!"
    Chakotay: "Lol wut?!"
    Cooprative lady: "Please, we are ex borg and this planet sucks, can you help us get to another planet that does not suck?"
    Chakotay: "Sure why not, we have been hauling other asshats around before, we have the know and the how."
    Janeway: "Attack, my leaping killer poison facehugger-tarantulas!
    Cooprative lady: "Tarantulas do not leap or hug faces."
    Janeway: "THEY DO NOW!!!"

That's good enough for me. Story's not important. What's important here is having a co-op borg sphere that I can fly in Borg STFs to complete them faster, and get those marks quicker.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2014
    With all being said.. I'd still rather see more of Borg Cooperative in the upcoming expansion, than Kobali, who prey on the dead and force their own ways on them and beware if you try to get away. How is that not seen as more/equally messed up, than what the Collective does, is beyond me... :confused:

Err. when and how did anybody say that the kobali are not a disgusting brainfart?
    edited August 2014
    Err. when and how did anybody say that the kobali are not a disgusting brainfart?
    Well, by the latest devblog, it may seem, as if the Kobali homeworld will be the social 'hub' of the Delta Quadrant... that's why I'm kinda.. appaled.

• moonshadowdarkmoonshadowdark Member Posts: 1,899 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    We don't need another store tab with nothing in it. No more factions until KDF and Romulans get some decent selections. That goes for Cardie and Dominion. Make them unlockable race selections for the factions we have, but don't waste resources to make a faction that will receive nothing later.
    "A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP"

-Leonard Nimoy, RIP
    edited August 2014
    Well, by the latest devblog, it may seem, as if the Kobali homeworld will be the social 'hub' of the Delta Quadrant... that's why I'm kinda.. appaled.

Gah... TRIBBLE the kobali... grave robbing creeps.
  • walshicuswalshicus Member Posts: 1,314 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    rezking wrote: »
    I dislike the idea of another mini-faction.
    The Borg deserve a full fledged faction and the game needs an OpFor so PvP can be PvP again.

The Borg *deserve* to be a powerful and rarely used enemy, and not a playable faction.
    http://mmo-economics.com - analysing the economic interactions in MMOs.
  • woodwhitywoodwhity Member Posts: 2,636 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    One could think a borg lockbox is incoming.
  • mvp333mvp333 Member Posts: 509 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    No, but that's mostly because I find the entire "fraction" idea to be an unclean abomination that should be killed with fire no matter who the pretend wannabe faction is.

Why? I understand why Romulans shouldn't be a 'fraction,'* but people like the Cooperative, the Cardassians, and so on really would benefit from alliances with the two most major Alpha Quadrant powers. It's also a good way for Cryptic to be saved a bit of work while still being able to play the various types of characters you like.

*...And I still believe that they should get their own starbase, a lot more ships, etc.
  • artfulmerkageartfulmerkage Member Posts: 294 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    shpoks wrote: »
    I second your resentment.

Indeed. I like my factions full.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Valdus | Charn | Costello | Typhus | Thyran
  • stark2kstark2k Member Posts: 1,467 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    The next Mini-Faction will be the Cardassians, it is unofficially hinted that it will probably be them. This could happen sometime after Delta Rising is released.

As for the OP idea, nope, no go
    StarTrekIronMan.jpg