mackbolan01mackbolan01 Member Posts: 580 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Robin Williams RIP you will be greatly missed

*****peace*****

Hail Ba'al
  • Options
    z3ndor99z3ndor99 Member Posts: 1,391 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Rip funny man you gave us some good laughs an dramatic highs, will be missed. " all phenomenal cosmic power!! Itty bitty living space! ".
  • Options
    yreodredyreodred Member Posts: 3,527 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I'm quite shocked, right now...

R.I.P. Mr. Williams

I hope you find the land of "What Dreams May Come"...
    "...'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' ... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--" - (TNG) Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie

A tale of two Picards
    (also applies to Star Trek in general)
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    :(Sad news...
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,318 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Death of a Clown

Why is it always the comedians who are depressed and take their own life..

RIP
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    verlaine11verlaine11 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    He's been in peoples lives and consciousness for so long in films and TV it was just so hard to believe the internet reports, people were screaming hoax and how sick it was people were spreading such nastiness but then it became official.
    Normally celebrity deaths don't effect me that much but this one has due to who he was and what I grew up watching
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    sunfrancks wrote: »
    I know, just seen the news myself. Don't know what to say...

Suffered off and on with Depression myself for years, it sucks.

Such a shame for him to go out this way. :(

i know what thats like. being an unconfirmed bi-polar case i can jump from one to the other without any thought to it. right now im in the really angry stage and no place to vent, eventually i do something really stupid or i flatten the ego trip myself one day just to get some control. i have had serious thoughts of killing myself in the past and still sometimes wonder what have i got to look forward to? yeah, not really gonna go into that whole thing. but lucky for robin hes had 63 years which is a good run considering some dont get that chance in this world.

i will celebrate him and his life at the least thats probably the best one could do for a man like robin.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Damn. This was a jaw dropper. Mork and Mindy was one of the first TV shows I watched as a child. I even had a pair of thse whacky suspendors.
  • Options
    cookiecrookcookiecrook Member Posts: 4,524 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Truly sad! This man was genuinely hilarious in a way that was more audience friendly than most.
    <
    > <
    > <
    >
    Looking for a new fleet? Drop by the in-game chat channel, "tenforwardforum", and say hi to the members of A Fleet Called Ten Forward (Fed) and The Orion Pirates (KDF). If you already have a fleet you are happy with, please feel free to drop by our chat channel if you are looking for a friendly bunch of helpful people to socialize with.
  • Options
    deaftravis05deaftravis05 Member Posts: 4,885 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Dealing with many people who suffer from manic depression, I was not shocked... however I was deeply saddened by his passing.

It's a difficult disease to struggle with.
  • Options
    darkjeffdarkjeff Member Posts: 2,590 Arc User
    edited August 2014
  • Options
    steamwrightsteamwright Member Posts: 2,820
    edited August 2014
    reyan01 wrote: »
    I too work for the Mental Health services. Generally, people associate being ill as having, for example, the flu. And if someone has a broken arm, they receive sympathy.

Mental illness, however, remains quite poorly understood in general. You can't SEE depression. It isn't as obvious as a broken apendage. It is so often the case that it isn't clear that someone is suffering from depression.

Stephen Fry is another comedian (abeit an English one) who suffers from manic depression and has attempted suicide on several occasions - thankfully, not successfully.

It really is sad that people like Robin Williams and Stephen Fry - men who work/worked to make people laugh - were seemingly using their ability to makes others happy to mask their own difficulties :(

I would like to understand: is depression linked to the creative process? In other words, by spinning a life to one extreme, depression, does the mind/brain compensate, at least in part, by unlocking creative potential? I've heard of a number of very creative people in the arts and sciences, even powerful speakers who draw audiences in other fields, who've suffered from depression. (In the category of art, van Gogh comes to mind) Or might it even be vise versa? The cost of a mind attuned at a higher, more creative level than most is often depression?
  • Options
    trilljinxtrilljinx Member Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    starswordc wrote: »
    World's a little less funny today.

Starswordc, this sums it up perfectly.

Robin Williams was a comic genius. The world will be a sadder place without him.

It is odd though, how many comics suffer from depression.
  • Options
    tenkaritenkari Member Posts: 2,906 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I grew up watching his movies and such. I'm sad he's gone.

Now i must find the Aladdin series on DVD.
  • Options
    jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    he will be greatly missed he was a great actor and comedian a truely funny man he could put smiles on the faces of millions just wish he couldve put a smile on his own so the world couldve enjoyed his genius for a while longer.
  • Options
    captclazoruscaptclazorus Member Posts: 377 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Loved this comedian. I can't believe that he is gone, or that he might have taken his own life
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Star Trek: Rubicon" Season 1, Season 2 A new era, a new time, a new crew, a new ship, a new mission...
    "I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment because it will never come again."- Jean-Luc Picard
  • Options
    opak1opak1 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    When I was in my teens I used to have a lot of suicidal thoughts. I used to escape into RPGs, Trek, Games...I also used to listen to a lot of standup. 3 comedians used to be able to make me laugh no matter what my mood. Bill Cosby, Robin Williams and George Carlin. He helped bring me out of more dark moods than I care to remember. He is one of the many reasons I am still alive today.

I haven't been affected by a celebrity death like this before. I was sad when Carlin died. But, I find myself on the verge of tears reading these posts and other articles about him. I never met the man but I feel guilty that I wasn't able to help him out even a little bit like he helped me. Depression sucks and I still deal with it every day. But, he made it a little easier. I wish someone could have helped him.

Joke 'em if they can't take a ****...

Goodbye sir, the world is less without you.

"The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play." - James T. Kirk
  • Options
    cptjhuntercptjhunter Member Posts: 2,288 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    The Truly Tragic Part Is The Man Who Brought So Much Joy, And Laughter, To So Many People....Could Find None For Himself.:(
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    cptjhunter wrote: »
    The Truly Tragic Part Is The Man Who Brought So Much Joy, And Laughter, To So Many People....Could Find None For Himself.:(

AS people have noted, this is sadly appropriate: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ael2ojGGUok

And this may be useful for people that never experienced depression (Thankfully, that's not a problem I have): Part 1: http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.de/2011/10/adventures-in-depression.html#links
    Part 2: http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.de/2013/05/depression-part-two.html
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    medtac124medtac124 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    With very few exceptions, I've never really understood the fuss people make over celebrity deaths. This is the first one where it truly hit home. Robin Williams was truly one-of-a-kind, and the world is worse off for his loss.

"I wish you free, Genie."
    [SIGPIC]Click here to visit our website[/SIGPIC]
    lunasto wrote: »
    Banned because I don't like your pictures eyebrows! They look like pinball flippers!
  • Options
    eldarion79eldarion79 Member Posts: 1,679 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    We lost a great comedian. He was one of those comedians that didn't need to be crude and profane to be funny, but he can be crude and profane to be funny. He was one of those actors you can never tire from watching.
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Another warm candle flickers and dies,
    But eternally shines bright, in all our minds-eye.
    His path here on Earth was fraught with illusion.
    Delighting our lives with his manic elocution.
    We'll miss this dear soul, for all of our days.
    And remember him lovingly, for his comical ways.

R.I.P. Robin (Mork)
    May your voyage back to Ork be as amusing for you,
    as you made ours here, with your insanely wonderful view.

:(
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    He was a comedic genius, the world is sadder without him.
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    sorry to read up about zelda, shes getting abuse from trolls about her father, but typical of social trollworking sites.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    verlaine11verlaine11 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    sorry to read up about zelda, shes getting abuse from trolls about her father, but typical of social trollworking sites.

Bloody trolls cant even have a small amount of respect for such a beloved man and his grieving family, absolute troll scum

The more revelations that have been coming out the more sad it gets, sounds like he was next to broke and that just compounded what he was going through psychologically wise.
    I just hope his family and close friends are getting as much support as they can at this time.
  • Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I don't care who you are, there was a movie released at some point that had Robin Williams in it that you enjoyed.

Zelda Williams is better off staying away from social media. I've never had a Twitter or Facebook account and I can't say I feel like I'm missing out on anything.

Do people really think the rest of the world cares about how boring and mundane their lives are?
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    lunastolunasto Member Posts: 774 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I've enjoyed many of his performances. He was crazy and funny at the same time. He played a host of original characters, but as advertised here, the Genie made me take note about something. He sings a song to Aladdin that he hasn't ever had a friend like him; and here's where the situation makes me sad. We have all loved his comedy and entertainment, but how can someone who gets so much good attention and is that well received be so alone that they would wish to end it all? In his last days, then hours, then minutes and down to his last seconds, and forgive me for being a bit misty right now, but no one was there with him to stop him and ask him not to leave! He is still loved.

We really need to do something in our lives to keep others from such a fate, many who aren't popular or as well known from joining this statistic. This happens just way too often I think, and we really need to protect our people from falling victim to depression and feeling isolated! I don't like to hurt inside, I'm sure the feeling is mutual. Let's try to put some effort into lifting peoples spirits! Does anyone else agree? I ask everyone, including Star Trek.
    Lightningdealwithit.gifNew Lunar Republic
    "Where monsters rampage, I'm there to take them down! Where treasure glitters, I'm there to claim it! Where an enemy rises to face me, victory will be mine!" -Lina Inverse
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,365 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    lunasto wrote: »
    We have all loved his comedy and entertainment, but how can someone who gets so much good attention and is that well received be so alone that they would wish to end it all?
    Because Depression is a liar. It tells you that none of the people near you really care about you, only about the persona you put on for them. When they try to tell you otherwise, it shouts that they're just lying in order to keep you suffering with them. The worst part is that the other people are outside - but Depression is talking to you from inside your brain, where you can't just block it out.

And I'm sure the Parkinson's diagnosis didn't help either; that just gave Depression something else to lie to Robin about, telling him that the situation was hopeless and he was going to die anyway.

I'm not depressive myself, but my wife is. I've been keeping her from listening to the Liar (at least exclusively) for seventeen years now. F*** Depression. F*** it right in its stupid face.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    deaftravis05deaftravis05 Member Posts: 4,885 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    jonsills wrote: »
    Because Depression is a liar. It tells you that none of the people near you really care about you, only about the persona you put on for them. When they try to tell you otherwise, it shouts that they're just lying in order to keep you suffering with them. The worst part is that the other people are outside - but Depression is talking to you from inside your brain, where you can't just block it out.

And I'm sure the Parkinson's diagnosis didn't help either; that just gave Depression something else to lie to Robin about, telling him that the situation was hopeless and he was going to die anyway.

I'm not depressive myself, but my wife is. I've been keeping her from listening to the Liar (at least exclusively) for seventeen years now. F*** Depression. F*** it right in its stupid face.

You've pretty much nailed it
  • Options
    otowiotowi Member Posts: 600 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    R.I.P Robin.

What a great loss. Thoughts go to his family and friends.