test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Another one of those ideas.......

omega657omega657 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
edited August 2014 in Federation Discussion
Ok , so everyone knows how STO works , basically new content comes out , players rush through the story line episodes and then gets on with the grinding of the new content for the new epic gear , until they get bored or the new content comes and then the cycles repeats itself.
Well here is my idea , why dont cryptic give some freedom to the player base , let the player base as a whole decide what happens and give actual consequences for the decision that they make. ( note : this does not mean cryptic should stop with new story lines or content)

For example ,

The current daily borg alert mission in every sector is meaningless because it has no consequence on the welfare of the federation or any other space faring power , ppl could not play that mission for 2 months and the federation would still be sitting pretty afterwards.

I propose that cryptic change this by releasing new content that have consequences built into them , ie the borg have launch a massive invasion of every major space power in the region , if players of that fraction dont destroy total X amount of borg ships and structures everyday, the fraction that fails to do this will start losing planets to the borg over time , and this will lead to reduce dillithium rewards for players of that fraction for all missions ( note i dont want this to become another grind for ppl , so the daily amount will be pretty reasonable )

ON THE OTHER if the players exceed the daily demand , they will enjoy better dilithium rewards and also push back the borg invasion and then that may eventually lead to a counter attack on borg territory . ( depending on how cryptic wants to work this out) .

In summary , I would like a story line that allows players to chose the ending and deal with the consequences of their actions later on , whether they be good or bad.

This will allow STO to have a dynamic story line that allows the players to feel as if they matter in this game and generally be more invested in this game , grinding is just isnt wortht it without a awesome result

( another note this is just a general suggestion , this idea probably has to be tweak here and there to suite STO )
Post edited by omega657 on

Comments

• Options
    seriousdaveseriousdave Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    The borg alerts are pretty much pointless by now, once in a while I participate in one of them (when I'm extremely bored) and not seldom it will be a 3-man event.
    Making them have an actual impact on the game will just annoy the majority of the players since these are avoided for a good reason: it's not worth it.

10 Marks and 480 dil for the whole annoyance? Yeeaah :rolleyes:.... got better/more rewarding stuff to do.

You get a nice title if you wreck all 10 commando ships but since their apperance is also randomized it isn't really worth the effort to chase the events just to have a 1 out of 10 chance to fight the boss you need.

Without a MAJOR overhaul the borg alert isn't even worth to keep it in the game.
  • Options
    omega657omega657 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Im thinking way bigger than that kinda like the voth battlezone but with an actual effect on the STO universe
  • Options
    dareaudareau Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    This is not "dynamic storyline"...

This is an alternate grind system which can quickly become "mandatory" - OMG, we need you to blast 20 borg ships over the next hour's worth of alerts to make quota before you can grind your rep system of choice... Because I'm not going to suffer lessened income because you don't want to pull your share...

Of course, you never see the whiner in the queues, he's ignoring the "content" as he tags dinos for an hour at the increased rates...

For the record, it's hard to have "dynamic storylines" in a game with "one true canon". What if you, playing an "evil" Feddie, continues the Fed/KDF war while me, as a "good" Feddie, allows it to end? Or you fail Facility 4028 meaning no founder meaning no way to "liberate" DS9? Are you banned from a base / sector block for X amount of time? Would you even play for that X amount of time you're banned if you can't progress because the storyline "insists" you play that content first? Or how would you feel if you lost XP and items because of your "branch", you know, the "free" EV suit and items from Boldly they rode?
    Detecting big-time "anti-old-school" bias here. NX? Lobi. TOS/TMP Connie? Super-promotion-box. (aka the two hardest ways to get ships) Excelsior & all 3 TNG "big hero" ships? C-Store. Please Equalize...

To rob a line: [quote: Mariemaia Kushrenada] Forum Posting is much like an endless waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever. However, opinions will change upon the reading of my post.[/quote]
  • Options
    ralphgraphiteralphgraphite Member Posts: 628 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    The borg alerts are pretty much pointless by now, once in a while I participate in one of them (when I'm extremely bored) and not seldom it will be a 3-man event.
    Making them have an actual impact on the game will just annoy the majority of the players since these are avoided for a good reason: it's not worth it.

10 Marks and 480 dil for the whole annoyance? Yeeaah :rolleyes:.... got better/more rewarding stuff to do.

You get a nice title if you wreck all 10 commando ships but since their apperance is also randomized it isn't really worth the effort to chase the events just to have a 1 out of 10 chance to fight the boss you need.

Without a MAJOR overhaul the borg alert isn't even worth to keep it in the game.

I did have one use for those Borg Alerts the other day - the final 2 levels before hitting 50.

I was in the Cardassian arc, which rewards 2800 or so XP per mission. I hit up 3 Borg Alerts in one evening, each netted me 3500-4500 XP, pushing me up to level 50 much, much faster. That said, I can run those Borg Alerts pretty efficiently, can do them in my sleep almost.

I guess I could have been more patient and ran 3 or 4 more Cardassian arc missions. But I wanted 50 naow! :)

In broad strokes, I wouldn't mind "something" to make the in game universe more dynamic/larger, but not sure if this is the right track. Perhaps leading with a carrot instead of a stick - do X task and you and your team/fleetmates have access to y resource (nothing huge that would impact anyone's gameplay if they didn't do it...hard thing to balance).
  • Options
    wombat140wombat140 Member Posts: 971 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Dareau has a good point about how you sort it out if two players do something galaxy-changing in different directions, but all that really means is that this can only be done with quests that don't involve the player saving the world single-handedly. The Borg Alerts are a perfect candidate in that way, since the whole point is that there are loads of ships fighting loads of Borg all over the quadrant, so it makes sense for it to depend on the sum of the actions of all the players.

I think this is not just a good idea, it's something that should be a basic part of MMORPGs... I mean, a virtual "world" that you actually have an effect on, rather than just being bossed around by it, is just more fun. (Then again, I love persistent-world stuff.) I couldn't say about the particular reward mechanism the OP suggests and what it would do to the byzantine complexities of the balance of STO, but the principle's solid gold.

I can actually see how this could be hard-coded as an automatic feature of a game (for STO it would probably be easier to manage it by hand, but for a new game it would be different). The spawn rate of whatever the enemy is in a particular area would be altered by how many people have defeated them that day; at any one time, some areas would be "held" by the players, others would be enemy heartlands where you're pounced on the moment you arrive, and everything in between.

Needn't be restricted to fighting, for that matter. I keep having this idea for a diplomacy-based MMORPG - really, the way I have in mind, it's better than it sounds; think for a moment about all the shenanigans involved in the relations between any two countries... That system would be a natural fit there too.