test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Completed DOFF missions taking much longer to collect post August 7 patch

dweezemandweezeman Member Posts: 12 Arc User
edited December 2014 in Duty Officer System and R&D
I ran into something odd after today's (August 7) patch.

All I've been doing post-crafting fiasco is logging in my 50s once per day in dyson sphere space and cycling my r&d missions (the 20 hour ones) and collecting and kicking off new DOFF missions. I have seven 50s so I try to do this as quickly as possible (since that is all I'm doing in STO until the expansion).

Post-patch (today) it is taking a looOoOooooOooong time to get my completed DOFF missions into the 'completed' tab so I can collect the rewards (or acknowledge the report). I'm assuming this is part of the fix they did for the 'never ending' DOFF mission bug? I timed a few of my 50s today to see how long it would take to get all completed DOFF missions to show up on the 'completed' tab. I started the timer when I got control of my ship/captain and stopped the time when the last completed DOFF mission appeared on the 'completed' tab:

1 minutes 15 secs to get 15 DOFF missions
1 minute 25 seconds to get 18 DOFF missions
1 minute 6 seconds to get 12 DOFF missions

wtf?
Post edited by dweezeman on

Comments

• emperordeslokemperordeslok Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I'm hoping it was post update lag because i had to sit there and wait while everything completed when i logged in during lunch i didn't time it exactly but it was long enough i played minecraft while i wated for a dozen doff missions and my RnD projects to complete, something in the range of 15-30 secconds per project
  • iusassetiusasset Member Posts: 118 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    This issue seems to have gotten worse post-patch. I have had an R+D components mission on finishing for the last 5 minutes.
  • jam3s1701jam3s1701 Member Posts: 1,825 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Same problem here on all 6 toons.

Rather annoying tbh.
    JtaDmwW.png
  • ironchefbbqironchefbbq Member Posts: 198 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I never had the negative time bug.
    Now I have to wait for my assignments to filter through some tiny little sieve when I log in. It is kinda annoying and I am almost in favor of them reverting the change.
  • smeeinn1tsmeeinn1t Member Posts: 618 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Got the same thing, plus my first encounter with lag and rubberbanding in ages. Took forever to DOFF.
    V9BQ6SM.gif
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." — Lazarus Long --->Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • trelane87trelane87 Member Posts: 242 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Had the same negative time bug issue, they all completed on their own eventually... and the In Progress Tab is still not in order of time remaining :mad:
  • swamarianswamarian Member Posts: 1,506 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I'm also seeing it. It's taking each assignment several seconds to complete after I log in. With 20 assignments completing, plus R&D, that's over a minute, just waiting for assignments to complete and for me to dismiss them.
  • denshibushidenshibushi Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I am having the same issue. Takes 3 seconds or so for each mission to register as completed which means a long wait for 20+ missions for each toon. And I have the negative time bug. Very annoying.
  • scottstatenscottstaten Member Posts: 92 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I also have had this issue since the patch, I also was unale to dock at my fleet starbase until I relogged after the "completed" snail-spam finished.
  • tjratlifftjratliff Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I have been having this issue since the patch too.
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    My doff missions and R&D were working FINE before the last patch. Now that they 'fixed' it, it sucks and takes 2-3 minutes to complete a full batch of missions. Thanks Cryptic! :mad:

It's like having a car window that won't roll down... so Cryptic puts a rock through it; "See now you can get some fresh air!" Freaking incompetents! :mad:
    Sometimes I think I play STO just to have something to complain about on the forums.
  • jackal1701apwjackal1701apw Member Posts: 669 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Same issue.

Patch took something that was an annoyance to a few players and made it an annoyance to ALL of us.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

...#LLAP...
  • commodoreshrvkcommodoreshrvk Member Posts: 477 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I am having the same issue, it is taking 5-10 seconds for each complete DOFF mission to roll.
  • jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I'm guessing this is something that everyone is experiencing. I understand that Cryptic this is due to "negative completion time" issues people have had in the past and the missions would simply be stuck and eventually clear up. I guess this is their solution to force missions with negative to be completed.

I deal with it by simply focusing on doing other things for a minute or two before checking on my Doff missions...
  • tucana66tucana66 Member Posts: 710 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Cryptic/PWE: Could we please get an update on this in-game bug issue?

(crypticfrost, can this item get tracked, please? Thank you.)
  • kintishokintisho Member Posts: 1,040 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    same issue, all DOff and crafting missions now even more tedious while I wait for completed missions (some over a day completed) finish finishing... wtf
  • tpolebreakertpolebreaker Member Posts: 266 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Still going on! Basically have to log in then go do something else while it messes around completing missions...
    Yes it really is annoying. I have 30 toons all trying to complete 15-20 missions each. The finishing timers for crafting also share those timers. Would love the good old completion method behind the scenes. Perhaps the devs are having an issue fixing it becouse the timers are shared. I don't see them trying to slow down dilithium production without good reason.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I was Klingon before Klingon was cool.
  • mrspidey2mrspidey2 Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    It's not just STO. The same has happened to the crafting system in Neverwinter.
    Maybe it's an intentional change because freshly logged-in characters requesting all of their assignment data at once put too much strain on the servers.
    Then again, i can't see how database queries that should be pretty straightforward could put any modern server under strain...

The shared timers might be an explanation. STO's crafting System is essentially a modified Version of Neverwinter's, just like the modular kits are a modified version of the socketed items in Neverwinter. So if Neverwinter had this problem already, copying the code just caused the issue to be carried over to STO's R&D and then spread to the Doff system due to the shared timers.
    2bnb7apx.jpg
  • qunlar2020qunlar2020 Member Posts: 281 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Add the shared timers to so much else they have going on, the devs won't be getting to it anytime soon.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • vsilverwings1vsilverwings1 Member Posts: 572 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    This bugs me and I know it bugs others too.

Also I click on say engineering school but the UI doesn't refresh so I end up putting a project in say beams. I can't cancel so I either have to let it roll a day, spend dil, or be very slow and have to double check what I'm okaying which I didn't have to do before.
  • qunlar2020qunlar2020 Member Posts: 281 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Patched today. Now doffs complete three at a time.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • frtoasterfrtoaster Member Posts: 3,352 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    mrspidey2 wrote: »
    It's not just STO. The same has happened to the crafting system in Neverwinter.
    Maybe it's an intentional change because freshly logged-in characters requesting all of their assignment data at once put too much strain on the servers.
    Then again, i can't see how database queries that should be pretty straightforward could put any modern server under strain...

The shared timers might be an explanation. STO's crafting System is essentially a modified Version of Neverwinter's, just like the modular kits are a modified version of the socketed items in Neverwinter. So if Neverwinter had this problem already, copying the code just caused the issue to be carried over to STO's R&D and then spread to the Doff system due to the shared timers.

See borticus's post and my reply to it. There are plenty of ways to write bad code that will put a strain on the servers.
    Waiting for a programmer ...
    qVpg1km.png
  • captainsucrecaptainsucre Member Posts: 62 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    frtoaster wrote: »
    See borticus's post and my reply to it. There are plenty of ways to write bad code that will put a strain on the servers.

Quoting part of Borticus' post:
    Without this delay, we found that having a single player container load the completion data for as many as 30 or so different Assignments (including R&D) put a noteworthy strain on the map they were loaded into. If you had multiple players doing this at the same time, that load became concerning very quickly.

I don't think it was just players logging into a populated map, say Earth Spacedock, and collected their completed duty officer assignments. It's also the players on the same map completing short R&D assignments, short five minute assignments to craft Mk II equipment as well as shorter assignments crafting the many components needed for crafting equipment.

So a bunch of players crowded around the Exchanges in hubs, because they need specific crafting materials, completing many short R&D assignments (even shorter if they use refined dilithium to instantly complete them), in addition to players logging into these already highly populated areas and collecting their duty officer assignments, compounded the load.

At least someone at Cryptic did something to help. Duty officer assignments now take roughly a third of the time it took to complete prior to the patch. Perhaps Cryptic should improve server capacity if the servers can't handle the load of all these R&D assignments completing on the same map.