test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

so..... are the lockbox ships going to be given the T6 "powers" that have been hinted

sjokruhlicasjokruhlica Member Posts: 434 Arc User
Seeing as they're supposed to be the "best of the best " of ships in STO, they probably should be, at least in my opinion. And of course , this has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that the majority of my toons are in lockbox ships....
Post edited by sjokruhlica on

Comments

• Options
    sqwishedsqwished Member Posts: 1,475 Bug Hunter
    edited August 2014
    Personally, I wouldn't put money on it. But that's just my opinion.
    Oh, it's not broken? We can soon fix that!

• Options
    blackblackwyrmblackblackwyrm Member Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    From what I understand, current T5 ships will get an upgrade to be competitive with T6 ships. So maybe a new console slot, bridge officer promotions, and additional hull and shields. What they won't get is any unique T6 powers or the bridge officer slot of the newer ships.
  • Options
    kjwashingtonkjwashington Member Posts: 2,529 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I hope not. The T6 abilities should be limited to the newer T6 ships. I've grown tired of seeing non-Federation ships above Earth, and non-KDF ships above Qo'noS, etc. Should they be upgraded to the same level that current T5/5.5 are going to be (~T6)? Sure, why not.
    FaW%20meme_zpsbkzfjonz.jpg
    Support 90 degree arc limitation on BFaW! Save our ships from looking like flying disco balls of dumb!
  • Options
    dreadcalldreadcall Member Posts: 45 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Seeing as they're supposed to be the "best of the best " of ships in STO, they probably should be, at least in my opinion. And of course , this has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that the majority of my toons are in lockbox ships....

The ones dropping from lockboxes realeased with and after X2 will probably be considered T6 ships by Cryptic and treated accordingly (and so will the new doff pack promo ship). The currently existing ones won't get those abilities just the upgrade psooibility to almost-T6.
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited August 2014

I say it stands to reason they will.

Current lockbox ships are top-of-the-line T5.5 ships. So, there's no logical reason to assume that, with the advent of T6 ships, the new lockbox ships would not also be at least T6. Which is to say, if they ever plan to sell any, that is. :)
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    dahminusdahminus Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Would current lock boxes/lobi be upgraded straight to t6?

If they don't then future reruns will only be for X2 lockboxes and the older ships will never get a rerun of their own...

Cryptic has been having hard in wasted time on older content...i can't see them giving old lobi/lockbox ships the finger...
    Chive on and prosper, eh?

My PvE/PvP hybrid skill tree
  • Options
    pegasuscicpegasuscic Member Posts: 157 Arc User
    edited August 2014

Maybe I missed something somewhere along the way, but I don't remember it being said that the lockbox ships were supposed to be the "best of the best". I only remember that they were supposed to be on par with and maybe have a few perks(Boff layouts, special weapons/consoles) than regular T5 ships. I was under the the impression that they were mainly created for the people who had a mad-on to fly ships of the other more obscure STO races and generate money for PWE because the game went F2P. But I could be wrong.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "There's a reason you separate military and the police. One fights the enemies of the state, the other serves and protects the people. When the military becomes both, then the enemies of the state tend to become the people."-Commander William Adama
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    dahminus wrote: »

If they don't then future reruns will only be for X2 lockboxes and the older ships will never get a rerun of their own...

An interesting observation.

Could be they'd rerun them with upgraded versions of their older counterparts, though (they do so for doff packs too). As a fervent lockbox ship owner, I'd welcome the idea of them automagically getting upgraded to T6, though. :P
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    bones1970bones1970 Member Posts: 953 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Cryptic is changing to a zen/dil grabber everything cost us more and more, they will let us pay dil/zen big-time thats what i think, the 100's for dollars i spend is all for not, they want more and more...
  • Options
    happyhappyj0yj0yhappyhappyj0yj0y Member Posts: 699 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    dahminus wrote: »

Cryptic has been having hard in wasted time on older content...i can't see them giving old lobi/lockbox ships the finger...

Except of course that they'll want to sell people like this guy...
    ...the majority of my toons are in lockbox ships....

... a swarm of new lockbox ships.

T5 CStore ships aren't getting the powers because they want to sell more CStore ships. You... don't think they ALSO want to sell more lockbox ships? According to Cryptic that IS where the big money is. You make the old ones seem less attractive, suddenly all of those people flying their shiny lockbox ships are looking to upgrade too, and some of them have spent hundreds of dollars compulsively gambling to get those ships... why not make them gamble a few hundred more?

They can still rerun the old, lesser ships. I mean, they still sell the Galaxy-R despite it being trash, right? People want certain things for the novelty...
  • Options
    feiqafeiqa Member Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    If I had to make a guess. Most lock box ships are superior to a basic level 50 ship. So these are the new level 55 ships.
    Lockboxes released after the expansion will include a toss away 40/50 ship (looking at mirror ships) and a good level 60 custom.

Relaunches of boxes won't buff those ships because the ferengi and cardassian ship didn't get a boost just because someone now had tholian or time ships. So assume they stay the same as favourable but not as tweaked as a 60.

Originally Posted by pwlaughingtrendy
    Network engineers are not ship designers.
    Nor should they be. Their ships would look weird.
  • Options
    daqheghdaqhegh Member Posts: 1,490 Arc User
    edited August 2014

I'm thinking the new lockbox ships, that is, the ones released with and after E2, will be T6. There's no reason for them to go retrofitting the old ones.
    My Old Blog about things that could and should have been added when I wrote it. Not sure what I want to do with it now. I'll just keep it available now that most of it is outdated.
  • Options
    policestate76policestate76 Member Posts: 1,424 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    From what I understand, current T5 ships will get an upgrade to be competitive with T6 ships

And this is what im am more worried about. Making balanced things is not a strong skill of cryptic. How much competitive without dozens of bugs after an "upgrade"? lol. Thats the real question.
  • Options
    sjokruhlicasjokruhlica Member Posts: 434 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    feiqa wrote: »

Relaunches of boxes won't buff those ships because the ferengi and cardassian ship didn't get a boost just because someone now had tholian or time ships. So assume they stay the same as favourable but not as tweaked as a 60.

The JHAS was originally a 9 console ship, that was upgraded to 10, with the advent of fleet ships. So there is precedent for the upgrade. And seeing how the STO lockbox lottery is a primary source of income, via key sales, I don't see how they could afford not to.
  • Options
    shar487ashar487a Member Posts: 1,292 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    daqhegh wrote: »
    I'm thinking the new lockbox ships, that is, the ones released with and after E2, will be T6. There's no reason for them to go retrofitting the old ones.

When fleet ships were introduced, they easily outclassed older lock box ships like the Jem'Hadar attack ship. Since Cryptic is heavily dependent on lock box sales, they retroactively upgraded all lock box ships with a 10th console slot to remain competitive with fleet ships. The same holds true for T6 ships moving forward -- if T6 ships end up outclassing even older lock box ships, then that will hurt all lock-box ships moving forward. Why bother paying excessive lock box ship prices when T7, T8, etc... will ultimately outclass whatever you buy now?