test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Something Missing in Special Crafting...

novapolaris#2925 novapolaris Member Posts: 776 Arc User
Besides any other potential or existing issues, one thing in the new crafting system leaves me wondering. The special gear you can start making at level 15 in different schools. Why are there no Heavy Cannons or Turrets?

They added omni-directional beam arrays, wide-arc dual heavy cannons, conductive RCS accelerators, exotic particle exciters, particle emission plasma torpedoes, and even the TR-116B. However, heavy cannons remain exclusive uncraftable items.

Why is this? Omni-directional beam arrays were previously similar exclusives to heavy cannons, and wide-arc dual heavy cannons didn't even exist before. (Love both, along with the other new special items, by the way. Thanks!) I would love to be able to make heavy cannons/turrets as well. Especially turrets, considering that regular turrets are now outclassed by the omni-arrays, which can't use cannon skills.
Post edited by novapolaris#2925 on

Comments

• rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,969 Community Moderator
    edited August 2014
    They left it open for new stuff to be added to the schools.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • norobladnoroblad Member Posts: 2,624 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    theoryfive wrote: »
    Besides any other potential or existing issues, one thing in the new crafting system leaves me wondering. The special gear you can start making at level 15 in different schools. Why are there no Heavy Cannons or Turrets?

They added omni-directional beam arrays, wide-arc dual heavy cannons, conductive RCS accelerators, exotic particle exciters, particle emission plasma torpedoes, and even the TR-116B. However, heavy cannons remain exclusive uncraftable items.

Why is this? Omni-directional beam arrays were previously similar exclusives to heavy cannons, and wide-arc dual heavy cannons didn't even exist before. (Love both, along with the other new special items, by the way. Thanks!) I would love to be able to make heavy cannons/turrets as well. Especially turrets, considering that regular turrets are now outclassed by the omni-arrays, which can't use cannon skills.

I must not be understanding this question, because I have crafted DHC with the new system, and I am pretty sure I crafted a turret as well.

Unless you mean heavy 180 arc cannons and heavy turrets?

The devs really favor beams. Between the damage drop off from range and the hefty power draw of turrets, and the weaker aoe skill, and so many bosses/pve content that require one to get farther back from the boss... they really should give us heavy turrets, limit 1/ship. I dunno about heavy single cannons. IMHO a heavy cannon should ignore the range damage drop off as its "bonus".
  • adjudicatorhawkadjudicatorhawk Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Heavy Cannon art doesn't already exist for every damage type, while DHC and Beam art does.
    Jeff "Adjudicator Hawk" Hamilton
    Systems Designer - Cryptic Studios
    Twitter: @JeffAHamilton
  • lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited August 2014
    Heavy Cannon art doesn't already exist for every damage type, while DHC and Beam art does.

Are the new deflector, engine, and shield mods limited to only the Aegis set?
  • walshicuswalshicus Member Posts: 1,314 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    lucho80 wrote: »

Plus, shouldn't there be new mods for torpedos?
    http://mmo-economics.com - analysing the economic interactions in MMOs.
  • illcadiaillcadia Member Posts: 1,412 Bug Hunter
    edited August 2014
    lucho80 wrote: »

The new deflector, engine, shield, torpedo, and ground mods are just totally unavailable. The aegis set gets normal deflector mods at UR. As far as we know this is intentional, since we've received no reply from Cryptic on the issue and it's been a couple weeks and they've replied on other crafting issues.
  • yreodredyreodred Member Posts: 3,527 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    There are no single cannons, or [arc] DBBs.
    "...'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' ... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--" - (TNG) Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie

A tale of two Picards
    (also applies to Star Trek in general)
  • novapolaris#2925 novapolaris Member Posts: 776 Arc User
    edited August 2014

Wait. The only thing getting in the way of these being added is the item icon art? How much work goes into the items themselves?

I don't know how much work the rest of it is, but I'm half-tempted to make icons myself if it means some additional craftable special weapons can be added.