test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Now that the bonus weekend is over...

daqheghdaqhegh Member Posts: 1,490 Arc User
...how far did everyone get? With or without DIL? Was the bonus actually worthwhile? And will anyone still be crafting now without the bonus, or will you be waiting until the next R&D weekend?
My Old Blog about things that could and should have been added when I wrote it. Not sure what I want to do with it now. I'll just keep it available now that most of it is outdated.
Post edited by daqhegh on

Comments

• Options
    galadimangaladiman Member Posts: 346 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Was very disappointed at the terrible drop rates on purple materials.

Will continue to do the 6000/day research projects, until my 8 characters have cross-pollinated multiple schools and can craft lots of stuff concurrently.

Will probably run the 1000 dil craft support missions pretty often, as those seem to drop an acceptable number of materials and components for the cost.

Will save the rest of materials and Dil for when I get to a decent level for success at crafting worthwhile stuff for use/sale. In about 3 months. Just like everyone else.

Will likely get lost in the deluge when the majority of the crafters peak, and when the leading edge have already done enough to make the items I make relatively much less profitable.

Will hope that collecting materials will not be completely in vain.
    Please reconsider ARC. Please make it optional, at the least. PLEASE.
    It seems the vast majority of your most active players (forum regulars) hate the idea... and while that's a small subset of the playerbase, I think it's an important constituency.
    THE PLAYERS DO NOT WANT THIS.
  • Options
    sammiefightersammiefighter Member Posts: 51 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Only played with it one day, made my littlest character some decent weapons upgraded to unlock a slot. Then Q'd up the 20 hour projects. I think I'm setting at 2 tiers at just under 4, but didn't really try. Didn't and won't use any dill on this.

Is it worth while, BIG NO once I noticed tier XI items (or compoents) cost dilithium it's not woth it to use as a new 50 captain booster. Worse it needs 'advanced materials' for even level X items, so I'm doubting the usefullness to new players. (Advanced queue drops for basic gear??). You get can get better XI stuff at 100% drop rate for free in game.

Some one else can rate the XI+ stuff vs fleet gear vs rep gear.
  • Options
    qunlar2020qunlar2020 Member Posts: 281 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Mats rewarded from qued events did not go very well, doffing did much better. The personnel officer's R&D mission was productive, I did not do it before the bonus weekend though. I will get back to you when I have something tocompare it to.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I was Klingon before Klingon was cool.
  • Options
    iamynaughtiamynaught Member Posts: 1,285 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I ran about 10 elite queue events every day, just like I normally do. So 50+ elite runs from Thursday to early this morning, and yes, I ran them before the event ended today to try and scrape together as many mats as I could.

The drop rates for the VR mats was stupidly low. I think all told I wound up getting more VR's out of the BONUS boxes than I did from the normal queue boxes. Considering you get 3 from the queue boxes and only 1 from the bonus box, it was pathetic. Needless to say, I didn't get enough of anything to craft any single component.

Plenty of commons, uncommons and rares.

I did get about half a dozen of the +10 catalysts though from running missions.

Since the only R&D XP I got was from the 20 hour projects, I wound up about where I expected. No where close enough to start reliably crafting MK XI+ gear for my level 50's.

Oh sure, I could blow a ton of EC (since I'd have to buy the VR stuff since it almost never drops for me) and Dilithium to craft a bunch of stuff, but if I'm using that amount of resources, I want a better than average chance of walking away with at least rare items. Add in that even if I got lucky enough to GET rare items, the modifiers I'd get would probably be utter junk and I'd end up putting them on the exchange. I'll just have to wait until I hit lvl 15 in the schools to even consider chancing that.

Even then, considering the Dilithium cost involved, I probably won't bother then either.

Truthfully, the only reason I'm continuing to level the crafting schools at all is that I'm holding out a shred of hope that the Devs will make the system more appealing by dumping the Dil cost and reducing or eliminating the amount of VR's needed on anything MK XI and lower and allowing specific mods to be chosen.

Yeah yeah, not likely to happen but I'm trying to remain optimistic.

And now with news of the new expansion not only raising the level cap but the GEAR cap as well (to MK XIV), I'm not going to craft ANYTHING above MK VIII until I have more information on what's coming. Waste resources now when in 2-3 months I'd probably need twice as much later to craft things for lvl 60?

Pass.
    Hello. My name is iamynaught and I am an altaholic.

Losing faith in humanity, one person at a time.
  • Options
    lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited August 2014
    I had been hoarding green mats for a while. Used them on my main toon to push his science school to level 10. Frankly, the drop rate for VR mats is what it should be under normal gameplay.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    I admit I hoarded quite a few boxes prior to the weekend. My haul wasn't impressive. I actually got more catalysts than some of the VR mats. I really wanted to grind it out and sell VR components for a change, but it isn't looking likely. I'll just be selling the mats for the most part. I did come out with about 91 Z-particles, so I should be busy making EC for a while at least.
    My Old Blog about things that could and should have been added when I wrote it. Not sure what I want to do with it now. I'll just keep it available now that most of it is outdated.
  • Options
    philroephilroe Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I'm glad the bonus weekend is over because now it's back to getting 3 VRs every so often instead of zero VRs in the regular box and possibly 1 in the bonus box.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    daqhegh wrote: »
    I admit I hoarded quite a few boxes prior to the weekend. My haul wasn't impressive. I actually got more catalysts than some of the VR mats. I really wanted to grind it out and sell VR components for a change, but it isn't looking likely. I'll just be selling the mats for the most part. I did come out with about 91 Z-particles, so I should be busy making EC for a while at least.

Good grief, how many boxes did you hoard and how many queues did you run over the weekend to get 91 VR's, let alone 91 of a specific VR?

I went back through and counted all my VR's on all my characters I use for running the various queues. There are 8 of them, mostly so I can just run a queue, switch and do it again without waiting on the timer. I came up with a total of 62 VR's, and those included EVERYTHING I've gotten since 9.5 went live. And I run around 10 elites a day!

If this is what other folks are getting then perhaps drop rates are fine and the RNG just hates me.

• Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Z-particle isn't VR it's R.

honestly I sell all my VR mats, except Trellium, which isn't worth selling.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    philroephilroe Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    iamynaught wrote: »
    Good grief, how many boxes did you hoard and how many queues did you run over the weekend to get 91 VR's, let alone 91 of a specific VR?

I went back through and counted all my VR's on all my characters I use for running the various queues. There are 8 of them, mostly so I can just run a queue, switch and do it again without waiting on the timer. I came up with a total of 62 VR's, and those included EVERYTHING I've gotten since 9.5 went live. And I run around 10 elites a day!

If this is what other folks are getting then perhaps drop rates are fine and the RNG just hates me.

I think you misunderstood what he wrote. The z-particles are not VR's, they are simply rares, which combined with the uncommon and common materials is what was mostly given out during the weekend. The drop rates for VRs were deeply diminished during the bonus weekend, contrary to what everyone was hoping and grinding for.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Z-particle isn't VR it's R.

honestly I sell all my VR mats, except Trellium, which isn't worth selling.
    philroe wrote: »
    I think you misunderstood what he wrote. The z-particles are not VR's, they are simply rares...

Oops, my bad. I suppose I would have noticed that if I were looking at everything instead of just the VR's. I figured I just didn't get any and wrote it off as that.

Now I'm curious as to how many rares I may have gotten. No way to really tell since rares are kinda common. :P

• Options
    lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited August 2014
    iamynaught wrote: »

I hoarded a lot of boxes too before the weekend. VR mats and catalysts rained on me when I mass opened them.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    philroe wrote: »
    The drop rates for VRs were deeply diminished during the bonus weekend, contrary to what everyone was hoping and grinding for.

You know, the only VR I got prior to the event was Trellium-K. NONE of the other boxes gave me VRs.. And I opened a good number of them before the event was announced. I guess I have ****ty luck.
  • Options
    centaurianalphacentaurianalpha Member Posts: 1,150 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I have heard of VR materials, but never seen any in-game. The most common materials consumed for equipment components are "rare" materials; "common" materials are the most rarely used. I have never seen a "catalyst", despite grinding more than usual over the weekend. The entire system is simply a cash sink for players, with the illusion of better rewards at the end of an imterminable, illogical rep system... :(
    Expendables Fleet: Andrew - Bajoran Fed Engineer Ken'taura - Rom/Fed Scientist Gwyllim - Human Fed Delta Tac
    Savik - Vulcan Fed Temporal Sci
    Dahar Masters Fleet: Alphal'Fa - Alien KDF Engineer Qun'pau - Rom/KDF Engineer D'nesh - Orion KDF Scientist Ghen'khan - Liberated KDF Tac
    Welcome to StarBug Online - to boldly Bug where no bug has been before!
    STO player since November 2013
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    daqhegh wrote: »
    You know, the only VR I got prior to the event was Trellium-K. NONE of the other boxes gave me VRs.. And I opened a good number of them before the event was announced. I guess I have ****ty luck.
    I think that 30% figure was about right for before, during, and after the bonus weekend. I didn't notice a change in drop rates at all.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    qunlar2020qunlar2020 Member Posts: 281 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    qunlar2020 wrote: »
    Mats rewarded from qued events did not go very well, doffing did much better. The personnel officer's R&D mission was productive, I did not do it before the bonus weekend though. I will get back to you when I have something tocompare it to.

Sorry so late getting back on the personnel R&D doff missions. It would seem they were productive through the bonus weekend and would seem to remain one of the more useful solutions in obtaining those elusive purple mats at least for me.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I was Klingon before Klingon was cool.
  • Options
    betayuyabetayuya Member Posts: 1,059 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    took a few days to see the difference after this event before posting here, by the looks of balance, the bonus event should have been the actual R&D math lol

the event played like the R&D system would be at it's best math, sad to see it "drop back down to" a below average number, (not just the drops) almost got lvl 15 in 3 schools the normal way now. -the bug release 20h quests.

"me no do cash hookz" :D
    eywdK7c.jpg
  • Options
    cbob312cbob312 Member Posts: 200 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I got to lvl5 (or was that 3) in beams and some other stuff, problem is I have only two crafter DOs for my main so he isn't able to do more than 1 or two queues a day. queues a day.

I plant to max out everything eventually as long as I can do it without jumping through hoops getting materials, which is what stopped me getting far in the last crafting system.