test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What are your non Sci-fi reading habits?

theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 6,007 Arc User
edited August 2014 in Ten Forward
I collect a military history library.

Being the total war player I am, it gives a vast reservoir of tactics to choose from, at the moment I'm getting through 5 books at the moment

Alesia 52 BC
Tannenberg 1410
Fort William Henry 1755-57
Wilderness and Spotsylvania 1864
Hong Kong 1941-45
NMXb2ph.png
    "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
    -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    Post edited by theraven2378 on

Comments

• ilickbatteriesilickbatteries Member Posts: 0 Arc User
      edited August 2014
      I read science non fiction mostly. Neuroscience and how the brain performs computation is fascinating.

Noam Chomsky is fun for political entertainment.

I also read trashy books such as Michael Crichton or Frederick Forsyth.

ilickbatteries
    • theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 6,007 Arc User
      edited August 2014
      I read science non fiction mostly. Neuroscience and how the brain performs computation is fascinating.

Noam Chomsky is fun for political entertainment.

I also read trashy books such as Michael Crichton or Frederick Forsyth.

Forsyth's Fatherland is some really hard reading, certainly an interesting what if.
      Peter Benchley's Jaws is a fantastic book, full of tension and horror
      NMXb2ph.png
        "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
        edited August 2014
        not really interested in reading anything outside trek or star wars and it would be a wordpad type of decument or pdf or something like that... but stating that, i finished reading full through my first book the other day, the never ending sacrifice about rugal. i quite liked reading through it, especially how the author capture some of garak's charm and then hulya, the mirror of rugal's situation less then a decade between it.

if i were to read outside sci fi i would be about wars, but the problem with that is that history is written by victors and those who have their own editorial about it, some of it is pure nonsense but some have some half ruths or actually convienent truths, but nothing purely truthful about anything written and beyond the recent history of the last few thousand years back to the roman and ancient greeks, its all very sketchy about what the real truth was back then. so thats why i would try to think about war readiing, but all that stated, nothing i find interesting in that.
        T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
        Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
      • ryan218ryan218 Member Posts: 36,106 Arc User
        edited August 2014
        I don't read much outside Sci-Fi, but a passion of mine is Sherlock Holmes. In terms of non-fiction, I usually read history - mainly regarding the colonial and imperial ages, focusing on military history.

In particular, British and German/Prussian military history.
      • dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
        edited August 2014
        Depends on what I can find, so long as it's readable.

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
      • kuntelkuntel Member Posts: 16,484 Arc User
        edited August 2014
        I usually read fantasy, though my reading habits are voracious. I'll anything that sounds interesting, though my main curve is medieval fantasy. Non fiction.... Don't read much of that, but if I ever do pick one up it'd be a Roman age or mid to after Charlemagne history.
      • alexmakepeacealexmakepeace Member Posts: 10,633 Arc User
        edited August 2014
        My reading is spreading superdog sporadic (stupid tablet autocorrect), but I mostly read sci-fi and fantasy. I recently finished David Brin's Uplift series, which I absolutely adored.
      • steamwrightsteamwright Member Posts: 2,820
        edited August 2014
        I collect a military history library.

History and Mystery for me. I do own nearly all of Michael and Jeff Shaara's war history books, and although the topic is a favorite, I don't limit myself to military history. I read The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt recently, for example, and I keep The Devil And The White City on my favorites shelf.

Mystery: I read mostly period pieces, though I've read some true crime and modern fiction mysteries as well. Not too long back I read the historical The Suspicions of Mr. Whicher, and I'm currently reading the fictitious The Yard by Alex Grecian. Anne Perry's novels, especially the gritty 1860s William Monk series are among my favorites. However, my current king of favorites is a lesser-known, recent author, Will Thomas, and his fascinating Barker & Llewelyn series.
      • centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
        edited August 2014
        Anything that's short. I have a short attention span so I like pulp novels.
      • wildthyme467989wildthyme467989 Member Posts: 1,286 Arc User
        edited August 2014
        The only books I read nowadays are ones of over 500 pages. If it's under, it's largely ignored by me.
        I've recently gotten into history books, doesn't really matter to me about the era, it's all interesting to me
      • lunastolunasto Member Posts: 774 Arc User
        edited August 2014
        I love fantasy and romance, the Percy Jackson series is my favorite! I have both the Greek and Roman volumes!!
        Lightningdealwithit.gifNew Lunar Republic
        "Where monsters rampage, I'm there to take them down! Where treasure glitters, I'm there to claim it! Where an enemy rises to face me, victory will be mine!" -Lina Inverse
      • kestrelliuskestrellius Member Posts: 462 Arc User
        edited August 2014
        Brandon Sanderson.

...although he probably counts more as science fiction than anything. It's a bit hard to take seriously the idea of a "fantasy" series involving consuming metals for specific pseudo-magnetic powers.
      • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
        edited August 2014
        I'll read anything by Chuck Palahniuk.

Not precisely sci-fi as much as it is transgressional fiction. But there are sci-fi and fantasy elements to many of his books. His books generally involve overcoming humanity, which (in my opinion) is similar enough to sci-fi.
        ExtxpTp.jpg
      • jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
        edited August 2014
        I know this might sound old fashioned but my favorite non sci fi reads would be Zane Grey western novels.
      • shevetshevet Member Posts: 1,667 Arc User
        edited August 2014
        On the bookshelf directly facing me as I type: a collection of William Golding novels, an omnibus of Keith Laumer's "Retief" stories, the Mabinogion (in translation as I don't read mediaeval Welsh), a full set of Dorothy Sayers detective stories, Joel Bakan's "The Corporation", a collection of Alan Coren essays, a POD collection of essays by assorted people including Modesty Forbids, and the Thackery P. Lambshead Pocket Guide to Eccentric and Discredited Diseases.

That's on the shelf directly facing me. There are other shelves, with other books. There are many other shelves....
        8b6YIel.png?1
      • collegepark2151collegepark2151 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
        edited August 2014
        CAD manuals. Intermingled with the occasional engineering product data file.

Yeah, I don't do much reading outside of work.
        [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Porthos is not amused.
      • steamwrightsteamwright Member Posts: 2,820
        edited August 2014
        I know this might sound old fashioned but my favorite non sci fi reads would be Zane Grey western novels.

Old-fashioned is often the best. I'm still waiting on Hollywood to realize that Louis Lamour's Last of the Breed would make an awesome movie.
      • theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 6,007 Arc User
        edited August 2014
        I've just started reading the complete history of the Roman army
        NMXb2ph.png