test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

I'm surprised more people don't sell their R&D mats

k022#6452 k022 Member Posts: 300 Arc User
I asked ESD zone and they came to the general consensus that R&D materials sells for peanuts. I've made about 10mil just by selling z-particles (aprox. 30k each) and have dumped a couple craylons here and there.

You just have to know what to sell
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by k022#6452 on

Comments

• Options
    lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited August 2014
    I get plenty of Z-particles. Just hoarding them.
  • Options
    k022#6452 k022 Member Posts: 300 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    lucho80 wrote: »
    I get plenty of Z-particles. Just hoarding them.

Keep hoarding them, you keep the supply lower with them off the market
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited August 2014
    If I really wanted, I could produce very large amounts or Rare stuff out of doff assignment crits, but I'm keeping the grind to 4 toons.
  • Options
    turbomagnusturbomagnus Member Posts: 3,479 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Give it time for the novelty of the new R&D system to wear out and people to be more concerned about having enough of the common materials to run their 20 hour research project than having enough materials to craft all the Antiproton Beam Arrays they need to equip every ship in their list, people will start selling them off then. I know that I'm keeping most of my Materials for personal use at the moment...

Though I do thank the person - whomever they are - that bought the 500 Verteron Particles I did put on the exchange for 500k EC. (I had way more of those than I did of anything else and since they were just piling up, I had no problems with letting some go.)
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." -- Q, TNG: "Q-Who?"
    ^Words that every player should keep in mind, especially whenever there's a problem with the game...
  • Options
    qunlar2020qunlar2020 Member Posts: 281 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I have decided to hord my mats as well, and keep the grinding to materials. With one kind of material I can normaly do one or two schools. Not in a hurry to max out crafting, though I herd it mentioned bya dev in an interview that we may in time be able to decide the proc types later. We'll see.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I was Klingon before Klingon was cool.
  • Options
    ghyudtghyudt Member Posts: 1,112 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I'm actually using all my mats. Doing a few 20 hour researches at a time and in the meantime making the components needed for mk xii in each school. I have a feeling this whole crafting thing is gonna get a little more in depth, and I plan in trying it out to the fullest. Besides, anything sold on the exchange can be obtained without having to pay an exorbitant price and making the fat ferengi that run the exchange even fatter.
  • Options
    adverberoadverbero Member Posts: 2,045 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Components offer a better return in my opinion, 3 mil for converting 500 dil some dentarium and a radiogenic particle into Isolinear circuitry is a much bigger net gain than selling the mats
    solar_approach_by_chaos_sandwhich-d74kjft.png

These are the Voyages on the STO forum, the final frontier. Our continuing mission: to explore Pretentious Posts, to seek out new Overreactions and Misinformation , to boldly experience Cynicism like no man has before.......
  • Options
    rodentmasterrodentmaster Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    poopbang wrote: »
    Keep hoarding them, you keep the supply lower with them off the market

You LITERALLY have not a single clue about what you speak. So stop speaking.

Supply and demand is predicated upon limited quantities and limited ability to produce. There is no such thing with randomly generated particles/samples made up of electrons. One person holding onto a few of them will IN NO WAY EVER IN ANY REALITY affect the ability of others to get them.
  • Options
    daqheghdaqhegh Member Posts: 1,490 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Components are worth more. Sell those and get rich not-so-quick.
    My Old Blog about things that could and should have been added when I wrote it. Not sure what I want to do with it now. I'll just keep it available now that most of it is outdated.
  • Options
    dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Crafting Steps:
    1. Do easy/cheap 6k XP missions till max level.
    2. See if there's anything worth crafting (aka gambling on)... If Yes: Make stuff... If No: Sell hoarded mats.
    So I would guess that once people get to the point that they know they will not craft anything the Exchange will get flooded.
  • Options
    ourmasterourmaster Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    The current price is not worth clicking, to get it on exchange one by one. If they change exchange, to be similar to dilithium exchange (you can sell 200 pieces in one go and someone else could buy just 3), I would sell my mats.
  • Options
    qunlar2020qunlar2020 Member Posts: 281 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Holding on to my mats. Doing only 6k research. Waiting for R&D to further develop.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I was Klingon before Klingon was cool.
  • Options
    turbomagnusturbomagnus Member Posts: 3,479 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    And there's the rub - most of the current R&D items just aren't that impressive, especially if you've already reached endgame...

Omni-Directional Beam Array - maybe, good for weapon-specific builds, but you can get an Antiproton Beam Array [Arc] from "Sphere of Influence"

Dual Heavy Cannon [Arc] - doesn't help if you have a beam build.

Aegis Set - when you can STILL get the Jem'Hadar and Breen space sets from just playing the respective FE series, it loses some luster.

Particle Emission Plasma Torpedo - So... it's not enough that Plasma Torps can catch us in the backfire already, they now want the equivilent of a free-floating plasma fire in space. Oh, well, might be good for Romulan Space rep sets...

Exotic Particle Field Exciter and Conductive RCS Accelerator - possibly useful, well see.

TR-116B - lacks the no-LOS of the original, but a pure-kinetic damage weapon? I think Picard proved their worth against the Borg in "First Contact"

So, basically, out of eight school, ten items, only three are really worth it at the moment. Really, the only hope for R&D is if they start adding more 'R&D exclusive' items that are on par with the rep systems and such, otherwise revamp or not... it's just gonna wither on the vine...
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." -- Q, TNG: "Q-Who?"
    ^Words that every player should keep in mind, especially whenever there's a problem with the game...