Install Arc

Expansion 2: Delta Rising

Comments

• daqheghdaqhegh Member Posts: 1,490 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    adverbero wrote: »
    well thats one reasonable request,

Then we have,-
    - I want fleet base NPCs to use custom uniforms, = complex code required, dev time consumed
    - I want X ship to be introduced - Legal department + dev time
    - Add X damage system/ Change how deaths work/ etc
    - This proc or that proc = balancing mechanics is no simple feat
    - not to mention the number of mechaincs and feature requests for Foundry mechanics, like OR logic toggles

I could go on for a long time on the number of very difficult requests that players come up with , to use the old phrase, everything under the sun has or will be asked for

I understand that. I've come to many of the same conclusions while writing my blog. I can't do much about lisencing issues, so I try to keep it to the existing content/mechanic/whatever as much as possible. All I personally want is fixes to bugs and *maybe* more options for BOffs. How about repairing the exchange? Lotta code, so I've heard. But programmers are actually paid because they know how to do such things. I'm not out of bounds when I ask for it to be fixed.

As far as wanting for shinys goes, I'm really not the type to be demanding. Not when it comes to canon ships. I personally think it's pointless to add new ones with powercreep. Why not keep the same stats for the most part? Problem is, with requests comes the assumption that "new" somehow equals "better." In an MMO, better is usually more powerful. So balance isn't so much the issue as figuring out how to make a Yellowstone newer and cooler than a Ganges. Sadly there are enough people that buy into this idea that PWE still exists. And I'm guessing it will be the backbone of the new expansion.
    My Old Blog about things that could and should have been added when I wrote it. Not sure what I want to do with it now. I'll just keep it available now that most of it is outdated.
  • notorycznynotoryczny Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    lindaleff wrote: »

And with all the stuff we all dumped into XII fleet gear, we need a way to upgrade all of it to XIV.

Come on, we all know how "upgrading" will look. Nothing more than buying everything again, this time in mk XIV.
    May 2013, automatic permanent ban for mentioning gold-seller sites
    pwebranflakes: this system is currently in place and working the way it should.
    moradum: I got banned for saying "I started my day with cutting off 3 MM off of the bottom of my cabinet"
    edited August 2014
    notoryczny wrote: »
    Come on, we all know how "upgrading" will look. Nothing more than buying everything again, this time in mk XIV.
    Agreed.

-
    -
    -
    -
    -

*cries*
    My Old Blog about things that could and should have been added when I wrote it. Not sure what I want to do with it now. I'll just keep it available now that most of it is outdated.
  • chiefbrexchiefbrex Member Posts: 108 Arc User
    edited August 2014

Which is why so many people are pissed off. If Cryptic would cut the grinding down by at least 20 to 40%, and make it less of a hassle, people wouldn't be so upset. But the fact is, people work so hard for these achievements, only to be flushed down the toilet.

In WoW, people may raid for months to get a full set of gear, but, they don't pay any real money to do get the gear. In STO, we pay, some of us, real money to get the ships we want. I paid money so that I could have the Excelsior, Galaxy-X, Nebula, Advanced Intrepid, and Cloakable Defiant. I even bought the Odyssey Pack. I would have to give up all these ships for some fugly, Tier 6 ship, because it's "shiny" and has some lame ability that I can't get on my current ships.
  • phoeniciusphoenicius Member Posts: 762 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    daqhegh wrote: »
    Agreed.

-
    -
    -
    -
    -

*cries*

thank goodness i never bought fleet weapons lol.
  • gl2814egl2814e Member Posts: 328 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    phoenicius wrote: »
    thank goodness i never bought fleet weapons lol.

And here I was ready to find a T5 Fleet for just such a purpose too. Oh well.
  • tuskin67tuskin67 Member Posts: 1,097 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    bunansa wrote: »
    Not to be such a flogging dead horse here or anything...but I really don't think you all can hold off on that information....

ELEPHANT IN THE ROOM!!!

:eek:

It is the weekend, I'm sure they'll post some more stuff during this week.
    edited August 2014
    gl2814e wrote: »
    And here I was ready to find a T5 Fleet for just such a purpose too. Oh well.

Same here...I was actually saving for a Fleet NX equivalent (I forget the name, but it's a beautiful ship). I guess my poloron beams will need an upgrade, too. Damnit.
  • macroniusmacronius Member Posts: 2,526
    edited August 2014
    This is looking more and more like SWG NGE. Guess we shouldn't be surprised given who is in charge now.
    "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

- Judge Aaron Satie
  • captainoblivouscaptainoblivous Member Posts: 2,284 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    T6 connie refit FTW! :P

I suppose I should update my sig then...
    I need a beer.

• waddledee88waddledee88 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Enter /upgradeitem in the ingame chat and it takes you to this ui:

http://i1255.photobucket.com/albums/hh623/WaddleDee88/screenshot_2014-08-02-20-01-29.jpg

http://i1255.photobucket.com/albums/hh623/WaddleDee88/screenshot_2014-08-02-20-01-35.jpg

I assume it's just a placeholder of sorts (considering you can't do anything with it yet), but it's pretty clear that there will be some sort of upgrade system for items.
  • wildweasalwildweasal Member Posts: 1,053 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    sqwished wrote: »
    Calm down! They've just screwed every single end level player in the game and will continue to do so and for what? They could have worked this differently! I've worked my TRIBBLE to get where i am now and with a single swing of the hammer I've got to go through it all again! Well no thanks Craptic! you can kiss this player good bye and the L/T I was considering purchasing the end of next month!

Yeah I can't defend them on this ......I just can't .......I love this game but I think it's time for even me to maybe look elsewhere
    3ondby_zpsikszslyx.jpg
  • lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I remain cautiously optimistic. More details needed.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • phoeniciusphoenicius Member Posts: 762 Arc User
    edited August 2014

http://i1255.photobucket.com/albums/hh623/WaddleDee88/screenshot_2014-08-02-20-01-29.jpg

http://i1255.photobucket.com/albums/hh623/WaddleDee88/screenshot_2014-08-02-20-01-35.jpg

I assume it's just a placeholder of sorts (considering you can't do anything with it yet), but it's pretty clear that there will be some sort of upgrade system for items.

wow, nice find, very interesting, i guess this could help alleviate some of the fears.
  • rosetyler51rosetyler51 Member Posts: 1,631 Arc User
    edited August 2014

<.<
    >.>
    <.<

You did not hear it from me but there is a framework of upgrading system ingame right now.

KEYWORD HERE IS FRAMEWORK

You play around with it and may TRIBBLE something up. So don't worry about your fleet weapons and things.
  • reximuzreximuz Member Posts: 1,168 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    chiefbrex wrote: »
    Which is why so many people are pissed off. If Cryptic would cut the grinding down by at least 20 to 40%, and make it less of a hassle, people wouldn't be so upset. But the fact is, people work so hard for these achievements, only to be flushed down the toilet.

This is already the one of the least grindy, if not the least grindy MMO in the Universe, calling STO grindy is a STO meme, just like for SWTOR the meme is cash grab, and WoW the meme catering to casuals, and LOTRO the meme is the everyone is quitting and the game is dying. It's basically the some old tired lazy argument that is used to describe everything new system.
    chiefbrex wrote: »
    In WoW, people may raid for months to get a full set of gear, but, they don't pay any real money to do get the gear. In STO, we pay, some of us, real money to get the ships we want. I paid money so that I could have the Excelsior, Galaxy-X, Nebula, Advanced Intrepid, and Cloakable Defiant. I even bought the Odyssey Pack. I would have to give up all these ships for some fugly, Tier 6 ship, because it's "shiny" and has some lame ability that I can't get on my current ships.

And WoW raises their level cap quite frequently compared to STO. I'm not a huge fan of level cap increases, but I can accept them every once in a while. And in WoW when you get a level cap increase all your gear become TRIBBLE. It might take longer in the curve if you have the best gear, but it happens. Ships aren't really comparable to gear, what you stick in the ships slots are however. And they have said T5 ships will be competitive at 60, and the fact that T6 ships have some new shiney that might compel you to try a different ship is any different then every release of a new T5 ship now? Oh wait, its not.
  • captainoblivouscaptainoblivous Member Posts: 2,284 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    reximuz wrote: »
    This is already the one of the least grindy, if not the least grindy MMO in the Universe, calling STO grindy is a STO meme, just like for SWTOR the meme is cash grab, and WoW the meme catering to casuals, and LOTRO the meme is the everyone is quitting and the game is dying. It's basically the some old tired lazy argument that is used to describe everything new system.

Oh? Just how much worse are these other MMOs?
    I need a beer.

• notorycznynotoryczny Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014

Aw TRIBBLE. It looks like those chance-upgrade menus in other PWE games (and in eastern-type MMOs in general). Korean/Chinese grind in STO. Buy a zen upgrade item, slot in menu, insert your item you want to upgrade, and hope it will not get destroyed if upgrade fails.

Sigh.

Time to look for another MMO.
    May 2013, automatic permanent ban for mentioning gold-seller sites
    pwebranflakes: this system is currently in place and working the way it should.
    moradum: I got banned for saying "I started my day with cutting off 3 MM off of the bottom of my cabinet"
  • saedeithsaedeith Member Posts: 628 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    What I'm wondering is with the level cap increase will T5 ships be handed to us as a promotion reward as others were up to T4 or will they leave people hanging out to dry until they buy a T5 ship? I don't see T4 ships being too good at 60.
  • captaincrane73captaincrane73 Member Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    This isn't my first rodeo. And to be honest, I'm surprised it's taken this long for a new level cap.

It seems to me a lot of people are angry that they will have to earn new gear and ships. Is getting gear/ships ok in updates as long as they're level 50 but not if it's 60?

I have heard the argument that "We paid real money on this gear" Well I've played many MMOs where I played months of raiding to get gear and having to replace it in expansions. Now I didn't have to pay money for the gear, but I paid something more valuable. TIME. You can always make more money, but once you lose time, you can never get it back. But since I had fun doing the raids, I felt it wasn't lost/wasted time.

Just my 2 EC but, how about waiting to see how this pans out, before freaking out. And please don't think, oh here we go another white knight. I'm still not happy with the traits revamp, and I'm still on the fence with the crafting, nor do I like the crazy grinds, but I did like LoR so I can't be that right in the head heh.

Lock and Load
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Yeah they better have a TRIBBLE load of Klingon ships imo for expansion 2 or it'll be the final nail in coffin for me to move on from this game. Plus the mark 13 and 14 to upgrade all the toons all over again is hard to stomach as well.
  • hartzillahartzilla Member Posts: 1,177 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    sethpc wrote: »
    "Nothing you have will become obsolete. Ships, gear, nothing." - CaptainGeko.

of course if I see a T6 Assault Cruiser I can use the Regent skin on I may upgrade. I can get over 20,000 fleet credits and $5.

And as long as fleet Mk XIII and mk XIV gear is available at the Starbase my fleet grinded since season 6. Oh and the embassy, spire, and mine.
  • chiyoumikuchiyoumiku Member Posts: 1,028 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    As long ss we get Fleet Consoles at those new ranks....Also, Cryptic, You're not prying me out of my vesta :P
    Sekhmet_Banner.jpg
    Defending The Galaxy By Breaking One Starfleet Regulation After The Next.
  • agaethonagaethon Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    In regards to the T6 stuff, I am also curious how this will play out, and will await more information before I make a judgment.

But what I will say, I'm on the side of the argument that wants to keep the "look" of my ship the same, but of course would like the features of a new T6.

I know a lot of people who spent a lot of time/resources in-game or spent real money on the C-store feel entitled to not having to buy another ship. I use a Regent-Class, so I've paid the what? $25 for the ship and I've enjoyed it and feel that in the 1.5 year or so, I've gotten my monies worth out of her.

Personally, I understand that as a business Cryptic and PWE need to make money, and seeing how STO is free to play, I am grateful I do not have to pay a monthly subscription. So the new ships are a revenue stream for them, makes perfect sense. My issues? I don't want a "new ship" what I would want is my old ship fully upgraded to a real-deal T6 and I'd be okay with spending money to do it. (a reasonable amount of course) Again, understanding they need revenue and I want the ship I want at the level I want it at.

That way we all win. That's the way I see it. Having options opens the conversation, limited options just pisses everyone off.

So lets wait and see where this "ship" takes us. Personally I'm staying hopeful.

Captain Knight
    Commanding Officer, U.S.S. Endeavour NCC-74724
  • jaturnleyjaturnley Member Posts: 1,218 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Oh? Just how much worse are these other MMOs?

Heh, if you have to ask, well, consider yourself lucky.

As a basic example, in the time it takes to level to 50 in STO, you will be lucky to get to 25 (out of 75) in other games. Getting to the end game cap will take about three to four times as long as that, as each level at the high end often takes around two times what the previous one took. You can thank the early MMOs for that mechanic.

Then, once you get to the top, you get to do the same queued content as in STO but instead of everyone getting something as a reward, you get one bind-on-pickup uberloot item that you all get to argue over and a pittance in cash and vendortrash. These missions are usually about as hard as the ground STFs in STO, which means unless you have a guild who knows how to get you through until you learn them, you will never get the loot at all.

Oh, and the economies in other games are almost universally hosed. You need to log in daily and do the same quests over and over just to get enough to try and afford the basic items you need for your class. While you are in this process you can literally watch daily as those prices slowly rise. The developers don't give a rat's TRIBBLE about the in-game economy, because they are working on the next level cap increase, where all the stuff you just worked for will be reduced to vendortrash anyway and you can start all over.

I will take STO's predictable "there's an end in sight" grind over the never-ending escalation and carrot/stick that is the end game of most MMOs.
    edited August 2014
    agaethon wrote: »
    *snip* I don't want a "new ship" what I would want is my old ship fully upgraded to a real-deal T6 and I'd be okay with spending money to do it. (a reasonable amount of course) Again, understanding they need revenue and I want the ship I want at the level I want it at.

That way we all win. That's the way I see it. Having options opens the conversation, limited options just pisses everyone off.

This exactly. I am not against monetization IF it is done rationally. But all indications based on their comment is that there will be no "upgrade path" to Tier 6. They might buff Tier 5.x a bit but it will definitely lack the features of Tier 6 forcing a new purchase.
    "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

- Judge Aaron Satie
    edited August 2014
    macronius wrote: »
    This exactly. I am not against monetization IF it is done rationally. But all indications based on their comment is that there will be no "upgrade path" to Tier 6. They might buff Tier 5.x a bit but it will definitely lack the features of Tier 6 forcing a new purchase.

Yeah it does sound that way, but lets say that they give us (for lack of a better word) Re-Refit or Re-retrofit and Fleet Refit T6 ships. So on a technical level you'd have a new T6 ship but of course it'll be the design of the original. So in my cause I bought the Assault Crusier Refit which of course was a T5 Sovereign with the optional Regent-Class skin. If someone wanted to, they would rock 1 of the original 3 skins, instead of the Regent one. I'd be fine with that too for T6 ships. I'm not so attached to my ship that is has to be the exact same ship. I just want the Regent design and overall features and then I'll just pretend she's the same ship ;)

Captain Knight
    edited August 2014
    agaethon wrote: »
    Yeah it does sound that way, but lets say that they give us (for lack of a better word) Re-Refit or Re-retrofit and Fleet Refit T6 ships. So on a technical level you'd have a new T6 ship but of course it'll be the design of the original. So in my cause I bought the Assault Crusier Refit which of course was a T5 Sovereign with the optional Regent-Class skin. If someone wanted to, they would rock 1 of the original 3 skins, instead of the Regent one. I'd be fine with that too for T6 ships. I'm not so attached to my ship that is has to be the exact same ship. I just want the Regent design and overall features and then I'll just pretend she's the same ship ;)

I am fine with this assuming the upgrade cost is reasonable. But there is no evidence to support this theory from the limited information provided. In fact based on Al's quotes it will not be the case.

I hope I am proven wrong and I am being Chicken Little on the forum. Past experience however has left me jaded.

- Judge Aaron Satie
    edited August 2014
    macronius wrote: »
    I am fine with this assuming the upgrade cost is reasonable. But there is no evidence to support this theory from the limited information provided. In fact based on Al's quotes it will not be the case.

I hope I am proven wrong and I am being Chicken Little on the forum. Past experience however has left me jaded.

All good points for sure. But the most important one to take away, at this point, we have very little information, lets wait and see.

Captain Knight
  • generalmocogeneralmoco Member Posts: 1,634
    edited August 2014
    Does anyone know if there is a recorded version of the DEV panel announcement and/or the Q&A session??? If so, can someone direct me to the proper place... Good info from what I see so far, but video would be nice :D