test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Carrier Guide STF

tmaynard88tmaynard88 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
edited August 2014 in Klingon Discussion
Hello Klingons!

I was looking to get a bit of advice here and you haven't let me down in the past. I've recently gotten my Klingon [ENG] to Lv.50 and i'm grinding my way through STF Elite missions. For this i've chosen the Mirror Vo'Quv because i've wanted to go or a carrier option and I liked the extra ENG Boff that came with it.

However never been much of a carrier before I was looking for some advice on actually being good Carrier Captain. I've got 2 Advanced BoP with me. Now for STF's i've been mostly a support role hitting groups of enemies/probes with gravity well II and hitting them with my beam boat.

However I'm not sure if i'm as effective at it as I could be. I've seen in the past Carriers solo defending the kang and I was wondering 'what are they doing that i'm not?'

Is there a particular build or skill layout that i'm missing out on? Or it is more tactic wise?

Any help will be appreciated, thanks
Post edited by tmaynard88 on

Comments

• stofskstofsk Member Posts: 1,744 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    tmaynard88 wrote: »
    However I'm not sure if i'm as effective at it as I could be. I've seen in the past Carriers solo defending the kang and I was wondering 'what are they doing that i'm not?'
    Solo defending Kang is easy, it's the easiest job in CSE if everyone else RMLs. All you really have to worry about is holding the left-side raptors back while whittling them down. Everyone else should be enough to take out the middle raptors before they can even spit on the Kang.

For a Vo'Quv, use GW3 while your BoPs chew them up. EDIT Alternative might be to use TBR to fling those raptors to the TRIBBLE-end of the map, but don't expect people to thank you for it :V

Anyway, what's your build currently? That might help everyone give you advice on where you can improve your game.
  • rodentmasterrodentmaster Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Elite scorpions or rare/very rare/fleet elite BoPs.

Mind your placement/position, as you turn like Jabba the Hutt after Thanksgiving turkey dinner.

GW3. Use it. One of the few times you can stock it and it makes your life better as a carrier pilot.

Pet AI is wonky at times. And by that I mean at ALL times. Keep an eye on your pets and recall or re-order them to do something as needed. For the most part they'll attack your target, so if you have multiple fronts (Kang duty) you need to hold one group off or delay them while you work on the other group. Acetons, GW3s, TBRs, whatever. Slow/stop one group, work on the other, and go back as needed.

You only have 6 weapons. I highly recommend 6-beam broadsider setup.
  • tgo533tgo533 Member Posts: 192 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I run the same ship and its very fun to fly.

I run GW3 for PVE and FBP3 for PVP.
    I run tractor beam repulsors but have the doff to pull.
    I run nukra mines with dispersal patern alpha 2.
    i run eject warp plasma.
    i run torp spread 2 when using grav well 3 and when not Beam FAW or overload works.

running 3 rom plasma beams with 2 torp and 2 mines.

I have 2 heavy attacks, GW3 and torp spread (grav torps) and tractor repulsors with eject warp plasma and 6 nukra mines sometimes adding tricobalt mines too.

I barlly move when attacking. i run at about 1/4 speed and use my abilities to move other people where i want them.

I have Elite bop which are nasty when they get off HY3.

I run 2pc or 3pc assimilated set sometimes adding in Dyson shield mostly for PVP as it is very anti vape.
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    There is a little tactic I've been using lately with the Elite Scorpions or BOPs.

If possible Recall all your fully deployed units back into the hangar.

Then fly out to the main target. I'd say within 5km or less, send all the Elite Scorpions out on Attack Command. If using BOPs, they have a slower turn rate, so I'd deploy them at about 5-6km.

You'll cut loose the entire fully deployed group that you had recalled at one time.

If you used the Elite Scorpions and released them in close range, they'll ALL fire their HYT Plasmas, and if you released them at close range, their travel time to the target is minimalized and the chances of them being destroyed inflight are lessened. Voth and Tholians like to AOE too much so they may still be an issue, but this tactic may help.

If using the BOPs, the release at 5-6km or so range gives them time to decloak, turn, and cut loose their CRF & HYT. If you do this right, time it right, seeing 4 Qaw'Dun BOPs come out, decloak, and immediately go CRF3 and HYT3 with Quantums at the same time is a beautiful sight that nothing else in the game can do :D
    XzRTofz.gif
  • tgo533tgo533 Member Posts: 192 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I love doing that too lol. works even in PVP. I hide my bops till someone tries to alpha me, then fbp3 and let loose 4 cooldown ready bops who almost instantly do a HY3 and CRF3 in the direction i am flying. FBP3 hurts with high aux and part gens, i sometimes dont even have to fire. I just heal a bit and watch them kill themselves with my snotball of bops right in front of them.

The BOP pets are very very strong, but they are not as strong if you do not be their mother. Hold 4 in your bay for when you yourself want to alpha what in front of you. You can just let them fly but they do not know when to use their abilities... if you hold them you can tell them when to alpha.
  • stofskstofsk Member Posts: 1,744 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    If using the BOPs, the release at 5-6km or so range gives them time to decloak, turn, and cut loose their CRF & HYT. If you do this right, time it right, seeing 4 Qaw'Dun BOPs come out, decloak, and immediately go CRF3 and HYT3 with Quantums at the same time is a beautiful sight that nothing else in the game can do :D
    You make me want to create a new character just to fly the Vo'Qov at endgame.
  • spectre211286spectre211286 Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I love the vo'quv and your welcome to join the channel for Voquv users i started am upto 100+ subscribers.

the channel is called Voquvs United. if you would like to see our handywork I invite you to watch these youtube videos :

ISE with 5 Voquvs
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykAPQp5NADI

CCE with 10 voquvs
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rlWZn4hYYo
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    stofsk wrote: »
    You make me want to create a new character just to fly the Vo'Qov at endgame.

Try it out with the Rare quality BOPs to test it out. The basics of the tactics should still be the same if you want to see it perform before making the dedication for Qaw'Dun BOPs.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • tmaynard88tmaynard88 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    As usual I am grateful for your info! I was confident I was going to get these kinds of answers it feels good to get some reassurance. I've been playing a bit more and things are working out better now. I think i'll have to manipulate my Boff skills a little more. I've mostly been having skills centred around tanking but if I don't need them a few skills like beam repolsors might go a long way.

Thanks again.
  • doffingcomradedoffingcomrade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    People still defend the Kang? Every CSE I've run in recent memory consists of the team scattering in different directions and dispensing indiscriminate whoopass on everything that comes out of their side. Even RML is dead now, it's now 2/2/1. Even PUGs do it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • warvictorywarvictory Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    http://skillplanner.stoacademy.com/?build=mirrorvoquvextend_0

This build gives you maximum tankiness and you can use extend shields on your allies or bops. With you as an engineer too - this is a great healer build. Always try to max your auxiliary power with any vo'quv.

Here's my current build on a fleet vo'quv (8-9k dps) (included skills):

http://skillplanner.stoacademy.com/?build=voquvluv_0

It's centered around energy drain - with polarized disruptors, the subsystem targeting drain, plasmonic leech and aceton assimulators. In pvp I use tractor beam (sometimes with a shield drain doff) and energy siphon III

Best advice:

Get plasmonic leech - it changes everything for KDF. :)