Starfleet Uniform Guide

Comments

• sirmaydaysirmayday Member Posts: 535 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Gentlemen, you are too kind. Thank you. :D
  • ricosakararicosakara Member Posts: 421 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    There's also a bug I found with the Tactical Odyssey Uniform:
    When adding in the arm and leg pockets, when you try to change the color to match the uniform, the Odyssey Belt's color scheme also changes.
    This bug needs to be fixed.
  • hartzillahartzilla Member Posts: 1,177 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I believe Thomas said use the division colors, hence the white shoulders to denote command. But I believe he also stated that regardless, Flag Officers wear red.

Thanks.

Now my next question is after looking at some of the dev twitter posts I noticed that Starfleet enemy NPCs got a revamp and now captain level ones wear MACO armor with the appropriate division color.

So does anyone know where I could find something telling me what color choices to make to replicate this look on my fed character?
  • lordhavelocklordhavelock Member Posts: 2,248 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    hartzilla wrote: »
    (About MACO Armor colors)
    I haven't seen an official posting on the MACO color scheme yet, but these are the colors I use on my Fed Tac. We came up with these some time ago by comparing to the mannequin at DS9. The division colors on this are Tac (red), just use the same column and go down for the Eng (yellow) and Sci (blue).

Category (Head): A4 / A1 / A2
    Upper: A4 / H4 / A1
    Badge: n/a
    Hands: A4 / H2 / A2 / A2
    Shoulder: A4 / H4 / A1 / A2
    Collar: A4 / A1
    Chest Gear: A4 / A12 / A1 / A2
    Wrist: A4 / H4 / A2
    Belt: A4 / H10 / A1 / A2
    Lower: A3 / H4 / A1
    Feet: A4 / H2 / A2

Anyway, again not official, but it's served me well for a long time (and seems about as close as it's possible to get).

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Playing STO since Feb 2010.
    edited July 2014
    I haven't seen an official posting on the MACO color scheme yet, but these are the colors I use on my Fed Tac. We came up with these some time ago by comparing to the mannequin at DS9. The division colors on this are Tac (red), just use the same column and go down for the Eng (yellow) and Sci (blue).

Category (Head): A4 / A1 / A2
    Upper: A4 / H4 / A1
    Badge: n/a
    Hands: A4 / H2 / A2 / A2
    Shoulder: A4 / H4 / A1 / A2
    Collar: A4 / A1
    Chest Gear: A4 / A12 / A1 / A2
    Wrist: A4 / H4 / A2
    Belt: A4 / H10 / A1 / A2
    Lower: A3 / H4 / A1
    Feet: A4 / H2 / A2

Anyway, again not official, but it's served me well for a long time (and seems about as close as it's possible to get).

Okay thanks.
  • archanubisarchanubis Member Posts: 152 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Thanks, Cryptic, for the color guide for the Odyssey uniform; it helps out a lot. Now, I have to ask, are there plans to create a color guide for the Bortasqu' and Romulan Republic uniforms?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,238 Community Moderator
    edited July 2014
    archanubis wrote: »
    Thanks, Cryptic, for the color guide for the Odyssey uniform; it helps out a lot. Now, I have to ask, are there plans to create a color guide for the Bortasqu' and Romulan Republic uniforms?

TtC stated that there are no plans at this time.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • pwlaughingtrendypwlaughingtrendy Member Posts: 2,966 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Hey ya'll!

So, thank you for the positive response we've gotten regarding this blog and all the hard work Thomas put into it. This was a great test run for potential content design structures. :)
  • orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    It is an awesome blog, Trendy. Thomas deserves all the praise he's getting.
  • robeasomrobeasom Member Posts: 1,911 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    We still need the KDF versions of the Bortas Colour Scheme and maybe a new costume version for Romulans as I hate the current Romulan uniform for 2409. and im using a TOS version
    NO TO ARC
    Vice Admiral Volmack ISS Thundermole
    Brigadier General Jokag IKS Gorkan
    Centurion Kares RRW Tomalak
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Hey ya'll!

So, thank you for the positive response we've gotten regarding this blog and all the hard work Thomas put into it. This was a great test run for potential content design structures. :)

Its the only positive thing that has happened since the mogh came out :) lol
  • yreodredyreodred Member Posts: 3,527 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Hey, minor question about the new uniform code.

When using the one for commanding officers (the white toped one), do we use blue for science, or gold for engineering or do we just use red regardless?

No in fact commanding officers always wear red, IF they are in command of a starship.
    Otherwise use division colors.
    LINK

This was answerd on another thread:
    drogyn1701 wrote: »
    This is a question that Thomas put out on Twitter as he was making the color guides. I think where he landed was if you are the commander in charge of a starship or an admiral in charge of starships, you wear red. If you hold the rank of captain, but don't command a starship, you wear your department color, and if you're an admiral and are not in charge of a fleet (like say if you were in charge of a science division or something like that) you also wear your department color.

Additionally:
    Thomas the Cryptic Cat has made a nice PDF file of the Starfleet Uniform Code 2410:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ji0l9nt7q43r2bx/Starfleet_Uniform_Code_2410_web.pdf

Have fun. :)

Its the only positive thing that has happened since the mogh came out :) lol
    Now imagine you are not klingon but FED and got the Avenger instead. :eek:
    How much time has passed since the last time something similar awesome happend?

I can't remember. lol.
    "...'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' ... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--" - (TNG) Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie

A tale of two Picards
    (also applies to Star Trek in general)
  • xiaoping88xiaoping88 Member Posts: 1,493 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Hey ya'll!

All the recent problems I have with this game and certain people at Cryptic not withstanding, this blog and the uniform standardization are really, really awesome.
    Added more immersion then a couple of Seasons. We hadn't that good looking, well thougt out uniforms since WoK.
    Reality is an illusion.
    The universe is a hologram.
    latest?cb=20130715204749
    Buy gold!
  • ogremindesogremindes Member Posts: 39 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I like the new uniforms. Except that medical variant, honestly the standard uniform coloured white looks more like a medical outfit than using the longer coat. But it is definitely about time starfleet had a standard uniform that looks like a starfleet uniform.
    edited July 2014
    ogremindes wrote: »
    I like the new uniforms. Except that medical variant, honestly the standard uniform coloured white looks more like a medical outfit than using the longer coat. But it is definitely about time starfleet had a standard uniform that looks like a starfleet uniform.

Huh, the Antares, Sierra, and Jupiter uniforms did look like Starfleet uniforms.

Specifically the TOS, TNG/DS9/VOY, and TWOK-TUC uniforms respectively.
  • dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Huh, the Antares, Sierra, and Jupiter uniforms did look like Starfleet uniforms.

Specifically the TOS, TNG/DS9/VOY, and TWOK-TUC uniforms respectively.

Vaguely at best. I don't remember it all that well, but the standard uniform given to your boffs on assignment basically looked like a plastified TOS uniform - and worse. The others weren't much better.

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • sentinel64sentinel64 Member Posts: 900 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I like the manual and downloaded it..., but who has not already violated it.... I have a VA (my official gamplayer selected rank) Toon wearing a uniform with gold trim just like the old man on ESD.
  • antzudanantzudan Member Posts: 231 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Great blog! So good it makes me want to buy more boff slots just so I can have the variants represented!

Although I personally would like it if they were a little more colourful. I had been doing Officers with a sort of DS9 style colour separation and enlisted with a next generation-based scheme so am completed torn as to continue that with Odyssey uniforms or to adopt these canon ones completely (where you can't see the department as easily).
  • yreodredyreodred Member Posts: 3,527 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    antzudan wrote: »
    Great blog! So good it makes me want to buy more boff slots just so I can have the variants represented!

Although I personally would like it if they were a little more colourful. I had been doing Officers with a sort of DS9 style colour separation and enlisted with a next generation-based scheme so am completed torn as to continue that with Odyssey uniforms or to adopt these canon ones completely (where you can't see the department as easily).

Funny, i'm using just the opposite.
    Officers get TNG color Sceme, everyone else get Odyssey standard. :)
    "...'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' ... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--" - (TNG) Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie

A tale of two Picards
    (also applies to Star Trek in general)
  • foolishowlfoolishowl Member Posts: 102 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    yreodred wrote: »
    No in fact commanding officers always wear red, IF they are in command of a starship.
    Otherwise use division colors.
    There's a bit of a problem with this: all player characters are commanding officers, so all Federation player characters would, by this interpretation, be wearing exactly the same uniform. That's going a bit too far in the direction of uniformity.

I've been thinking it might be better if we interpreted the white shoulders to be intended to highlight the commanding officer in the context of their command -- it plays a similar role to the yeoman announcing, "Captain on the bridge", in making it very clear that the commanding officer is present and in direct command. But a ship's captain wouldn't wear the white shoulders when beaming down to a starbase, because that would invite confusion with the commanding officer of the starbase. In that case, you'd wear standard officer colors.
  • axleluxxaxleluxx Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Ooooh... I love the guide and the recent update.

Any idea if us more KDF sided players will ever get all the color options that the FED characters get?
    edited August 2014
    foolishowl wrote: »
    But a ship's captain wouldn't wear the white shoulders when beaming down to a starbase, because that would invite confusion with the commanding officer of the starbase. In that case, you'd wear standard officer colors.

Except other captains do wear the white shoulders on their uniforms such as captains Sulu and Yim on Earth Spacedock, captain Calhoun on K7, and captain Gorah on Deep Space 9.
  • slugisslugis Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Hope there will come more odyssey uniforms like a B uniform,an captain uniform or
    an bomber jacket.
  • bladedancer269bladedancer269 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I have a question: Why can't we mix and match our uniforms? Why can't i use a helmet of one, a top from another, and pants from another? I would like to create a uniform that it strictly my own and my crews, or my fleets.
  • scrag0416scrag0416 Member Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Sorry to nit pick but the term "Starfleet Operational Command" doesn't make sense. The above term could imply to any number of things. As it reads now it sounds like Starfleet only has one command that is operational. It would read better as Star Fleet Operations or to mimic a military term/command that determines uniforms and uniform regulations (i.e. Navy Personnel Command) Starfleet Personnel Command...
  • centaurianalphacentaurianalpha Member Posts: 1,150 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    One might think that given the advancement in stardate, and the alliance between Romulus & the other 2 factions, that Fed-aligned Romulans could get at least an Odyssy variant uniform... :(
    Expendables Fleet: Andrew - Bajoran Fed Engineer Ken'taura - Rom/Fed Scientist Gwyllim - Human Fed Delta Tac
    Savik - Vulcan Fed Temporal Sci
    Dahar Masters Fleet: Alphal'Fa - Alien KDF Engineer Qun'pau - Rom/KDF Engineer D'nesh - Orion KDF Scientist Ghen'khan - Liberated KDF Tac
    Welcome to StarBug Online - to boldly Bug where no bug has been before!
    STO player since November 2013
  • sistericsisteric Member Posts: 768 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    scrag0416:: Sorry to nit pick but the term "Starfleet Operational Command" doesn't make sense. The above term could imply to any number of things. As it reads now it sounds like Starfleet only has one command that is operational. It would read better as Star Fleet Operations or to mimic a military term/command that determines uniforms and uniform regulations (i.e. Navy Personnel Command) Starfleet Personnel Command...

Actually, Starfleet Operational Command is analogus to the US's Joint Chief of Staff. Unlike the JCS, Starfleet really doesn't have several branches of military operatations. They have instead several departments based onbroad disciplines, Starfleet Medical. Starfleet Academy, MACO, the judicial group (which I forget the name). Starfleet Intelligence, and Starfleet itself as well as more that I may not know or remember. These departments all report back to the same head. where the JCS is made up of the leads for the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines and National Guard. I think the Operatinal Command reflects the more buisness like and less military like setup of Starfleet and the fact it would consist of the the various Departments or leads of various Disciplines with in Starfleet.
    Federation: Fleet Admiral Zombee (Alien Tactical)::Fleet Admiral Danic (Vulcan Science)::Fleet Admiral Daniel Kochheiser (Human Engineer)
    KDF: Dahar Master Kan (Borg Klingon Tactical)::Dahar Master Torc (Alien Science)::Dahar Master Sisteric (Gorn Engineer)
    RR-Fed: Citizen Sirroc (Romulan Science)::Fleet Admiral Grell (Alien Engineer)
    RR-KDF: Fleet Admiral Zemo (Reman Tactical)::Fleet Admiral Xinatek (Reman Science)::Fleet Admiral Bel (Alien Engineer)
    TOS-Fed: Fleet Admiral Katem (Andorian Tactical)::Lieutenant Commander Straad (Vulcan Engineer)
    Dom-Fed: Dan'Tar (Jem'Hadar Science)
    Dom-KDF: Kamtana'Solan (Jem'Hadar Science)

CoHost of Tribbles in Ecstasy (Zombee)
  • sirokksirokk Member Posts: 990 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    foolishowl wrote: »
    There's a bit of a problem with this: all player characters are commanding officers, so all Federation player characters would, by this interpretation, be wearing exactly the same uniform. That's going a bit too far in the direction of uniformity.

I've been thinking it might be better if we interpreted the white shoulders to be intended to highlight the commanding officer in the context of their command -- it plays a similar role to the yeoman announcing, "Captain on the bridge", in making it very clear that the commanding officer is present and in direct command. But a ship's captain wouldn't wear the white shoulders when beaming down to a starbase, because that would invite confusion with the commanding officer of the starbase. In that case, you'd wear standard officer colors.

I agree with the Captains wearing white shoulders but stay with their careers colors on the stripe, that's what my main uses. It's clear that he's the Captain and an Engineer.

However, I don't understand where the confusion would be when at the starbase. Perhaps you are referring to the colors of the uniform. According to the color guide, VA/Captains wear silver for the trim and Admirals wear gold and the more formal Long Jacket of the Odyssey variant, see page 9 of the new uniform guide.
    Star Trek Battles Channel - Play Star Trek like they did in the series!Avatar: pinterest-com/pin/14003448816884219Are you sure it isn't time for a "colorful metaphor"? --Spock in 'The Voyage Home'
    SCE ADVISORY NOTICE: Improper Impulse Engine maintenance can result in REAR THRUSTER LEAKAGE. ALWAYS have your work inspected by another qualified officer.
  • josephdridgewayjosephdridgeway Member Posts: 517 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    My interpretation is:

• My main, who is the Fleet Admiral of the fleet he is in, would wear the Fleet Admiral (black shoulder) variant when he is onboard the Fleet Starbase, conducting fleet business.
    • When he is onboard and in command of the Fleet Flagship, he would wear the Captain (white shoulder) variant.
    • If he is on the ship, and not in command for various reasons, then he would wear the Fleet Admiral variant.
    • Similarly, when visiting another starbase he would wear the normal, Service variant (grey shoulder) uniform.
    Fleet Admiral Joseph D. Ridgeway
    The Armada
    Original join date: Feb 5, 2010
    Twitter: @davejl_99, & @STO_BBArmada
  • scrag0416scrag0416 Member Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    sisteric wrote: »
    Actually, Starfleet Operational Command is analogus to the US's Joint Chief of Staff. Unlike the JCS, Starfleet really doesn't have several branches of military operatations. They have instead several departments based onbroad disciplines, Starfleet Medical. Starfleet Academy, MACO, the judicial group (which I forget the name). Starfleet Intelligence, and Starfleet itself as well as more that I may not know or remember. These departments all report back to the same head. where the JCS is made up of the leads for the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines and National Guard. I think the Operatinal Command reflects the more buisness like and less military like setup of Starfleet and the fact it would consist of the the various Departments or leads of various Disciplines with in Starfleet.

Starfleet essentially follows Earth Naval traditions with regards to ranks and sturcture (sure some differences are present but overall this holds true) - Operational Command = JCS makes ZERO sense. Starfleet has an Admiral overall in charge (various titles apply from Commander Starfleet/Chief of Staff/Commander in Chief) who is the same as the Chief of Naval Operations who is a member of the JCS. Anyway the point of thisRegardless the term is not correct. I am assuming it is a Title and not denoting action. "Operational" is an adjective and not a noun...maybe Starflleet needs a Websters but the term is amaturish and incorrect. The term is Starfleet Operations. That is a title.