test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Starfleet Academy waste of time? But I need doffs

stesha1492stesha1492 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
edited September 2014 in Federation Discussion
Does everybody do this at Starfleet Academy?

1. Beam down to a far-off, random location (every location is near nothing and up to 3 people are standing there wondering how far they need to run to get anywhere
2. Run to the Vulcan Personnel Officer
3. Run to the Tellarite and Andorian in an alley. Are they ketracel-white dealers back there? Makes no sense
4. Run out of the alley to the front door. Why no back door?
5. Run to unnamed personnel officer while avoiding Ferra, who I rarely need to interact with. Ferra SELLS PEOPLE and not even Orion slave girls
6. Run to Viala to get the Lore assignment. Just ask me the question or better yet, ask me ALL the questions so I don't have to return here.
7. Climb on, over or into the computer to remove a chip from it. Really?
8. Test your knowledge by having the Gamepedia lore page open. Who knew that Keiko led the Andak project (unless you read a ST: DS9 novel with only 25 reviews on Amazon) Hey, Cryptic, if you want some more trivial trivia, I wrote an unpublished short story revealing that self-sealing stem bolts are just a euphemism for mechanical sex toys for androids.
9. Run back to Viala to collect a tiny award. (If I had a Ferengi character, he would never do this TRIBBLE for profit)
10. Run to the Mail/Exchange/Bank to mail the useless chip to another character because they are worthless on the exchange.
11. Beam up, while thinking this is a recurring nightmare. The horror of returning to college to cheat on an exam where you lost textbook.

Warning: Tongue in Cheek
Post edited by stesha1492 on

Comments

• seriousdaveseriousdave Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Stopped going there after they removed the hourly event .
    beacsue:
    1. I have all the Doffs I need
    2. Whats the Quiz reward again 400-something? Yeah... it's not like I get more dil for more entertaining stuff in the game... oh wait... I do.
  • wilbor2wilbor2 Member Posts: 1,684 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I only do the dill free doff missions n thats all i thought they was hiding from the vulcan because she does not belive in cross species relationships :rolleyes:
    gs9kwcxytstg.jpg
  • ralphgraphiteralphgraphite Member Posts: 628 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    The dilithium is a good source of dilithium for characters that can't earn it another way. You can't mine until Lieutenant Commander level, the Academy scanning event is gone now, and Explore Strange New Worlds is gone.

480 can easily gotten one of many ways at Level 50. At level 5, not so much. Same with the doffs. Unless you're feeding a starbase, white quality doffs aren't needed at level 50, but at 14, they can be handy.

I find the Academy serves a pretty decent purpose for a social zone in-game, it provides basics for low level characters (and those who want to take advantage of the free doffs otherwise).

MORE to do there though, that is welcome for all social zones. Some short dailies pretty much everywhere would be a good thing.
  • rnaughtrnaught Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    stesha1492 wrote: »

/snip

I do this daily, except for the DOff missions since I have no more room for more DOffs. On 20+ alts. Takes me all of 1.5 minutes per alt. 480 Dil and a chip that is usually worthless, but lately has been making me a nice stack of EC. In the last week I've sold 2 of them for 4 mil+ and dozens of others for more that 100k each. And those are the ones that any new alt doesn't need to use to get the accolade.

Granted, I've also deleted hundreds of the chips, but for 45-ish minutes of 'work' I get more than 10K dilithium and some ok amount of EC.

I'm good with that.
    Make a man a fire and keep him warm for the day.

Set a man on fire and keep him warm for the rest of his life.
  • cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
    edited July 2014
  • annemarie30annemarie30 Member Posts: 2,596 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    well, I don't know any other way of getting 480 dilithium for literally 90 seconds of my time, and that's including the screen loading
    awkward.jpg
    We Want Vic Fontaine
  • anodynesanodynes Member Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    well, I don't know any other way of getting 480 dilithium for literally 90 seconds of my time, and that's including the screen loading

This is absolutely true. 480 dilithium and 3540 Expertise in maybe 90 seconds is probably the best payout/time for either of those things in the whole game.
    This is an MMO, not a Star Trek episode simulator. That would make for a terrible game.
  • dessniperdessniper Member Posts: 195 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I still go there.

1)doff recruitment missions. That EC adds up when you sell them.
    2)breaking down green doffs into commons and selling those.
    3)480 daily ore for doing nothing.
    4)most of the good farming foundry missions start there.
    5)as a highly decorated veteran of many Starfleet campaigns it is easy to pick up cadets :D
  • captiandata1captiandata1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    how many time did we really see james t kirk and jean-luc picard take their enterprises all the way back to earth for starfleet officer transfers and cilvian transfers or starfleet officer replacements?

why would klingons want to waste a lot of time always returning to kronos for officer replacement

while the romulan can get some alian officers transfers in space tai wadu sector block while still having the option to return back to romulan space dock for officer transfers and kdf kronos ports or starfleet earth port for kdf or starfleet officer transfers

it would be nice and more star trek canon if there were a more of choice between getting in the field officer transfers and going to base for officer transfers.
  • daqheghdaqhegh Member Posts: 1,490 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    There's planty that could be done....but it just won't happen.
    My Old Blog about things that could and should have been added when I wrote it. Not sure what I want to do with it now. I'll just keep it available now that most of it is outdated.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,015 Community Moderator
    edited July 2014
    I go there for the scenery.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • vermatrixvermatrix Member Posts: 335 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I think it might be nice to access more parts of it like the shuttle bay from the new tutorial. I go there to access the tailor, exchange, all that stuff without having to deal with the freak show that hangs out at ESD all the time
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I usually go to the Academy (Fed / KDF / Rom) every time I play to get the 480 dilithium. It's pretty easy and quick. I see the Doff assignments as free ECs. Anytime my Fed and KDF toon gets a green or lower Doff they get put on the Exchange. My Rom toon is still relatively new and I have been focusing more on getting that toon to max level than improving Doff quality. Therefore, green and better gets added to the roster and whites go on sale.
  • antzudanantzudan Member Posts: 231 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    You do know that the chips aren't useless and that they tell you the answers to the lore questions right?

It's usually the first thing I do with all three characters.

With my fed it's a good place to start setting doff assignments as I can transwarp to earth, beam down immediately, do the test for easy dil, beam straight to sector, check if "inspect civilian freighter" is available whilst heading to the ds9 sector (now thankfully no longer being stopped by my boff asking if I want to go to the delta nebula), pick up the trade assignments and turn in contraband at DS9 (and maybe change my ship/costume) then head to the flight dil mine for the three assignments in there and it lets me transwarp to the fleet starbase then the embassy where I can quickly do the fleet mark assignments, I'm now on romulus so am well placed to do rep stuff.

With KDF it's a little more annoying because you have to return to the loresinger after (or just leave it and pick up the dil next time you come in) but the bank/exchange in the academy is less out of the way in first city so then I only need to run to hand contraband and am immediately free to beam up to sector space and seek out marauding assignments on the way to tau dewa to do any reps that need doing.
  • opak1opak1 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    stesha1492 wrote: »

5. Run to unnamed personnel officer while avoiding Ferra, who I rarely need to interact with. Ferra SELLS PEOPLE and not even Orion slave girls

He does too! There are a couple female Orion entertainment BOFFs he sells.

"The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play." - James T. Kirk
  • snowpig74snowpig74 Member Posts: 267 Arc User
    edited July 2014

Traelus Satellite Repair.
  • maxgiovannimaxgiovanni Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Well, they could always open up another building in the Academy so that we could use it for the optional promotion cereminies that we lost with the old Earth Spacedock. Heck, when nobody is using it for the promotion ceremony, it would look like a lecture hall, giving us an alternate (or new) place to do the trivia assignments! Or maybe one room for the trivia assignments, one for promotion ceremonies, and one room where you could do "guest speaker" type missions by being the one behind the podium? :D
  • ralphgraphiteralphgraphite Member Posts: 628 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Well, they could always open up another building in the Academy so that we could use it for the optional promotion cereminies that we lost with the old Earth Spacedock. Heck, when nobody is using it for the promotion ceremony, it would look like a lecture hall, giving us an alternate (or new) place to do the trivia assignments! Or maybe one room for the trivia assignments, one for promotion ceremonies, and one room where you could do "guest speaker" type missions by being the one behind the podium? :D

I like this, even though only new players would probably use it.
  • darkjeffdarkjeff Member Posts: 2,590 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I go to the Academy once a week with all my characters (main and alts), all of whom have the frost boots. I totally ignore the trivia unless it's Dil weekend, though I'll grab chips to eventually complete the set on my main.
  • jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    snowpig74 wrote: »
    Traelus Satellite Repair.

That mission takes around 8 minutes or 480 seconds vs 90 seconds for the Academy.
  • darlexadarlexa Member Posts: 222 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    The dilithium is a good source of dilithium for characters that can't earn it another way. You can't mine until Lieutenant Commander level, the Academy scanning event is gone now, and Explore Strange New Worlds is gone.

480 can easily gotten one of many ways at Level 50. At level 5, not so much. Same with the doffs. Unless you're feeding a starbase, white quality doffs aren't needed at level 50, but at 14, they can be handy.

I find the Academy serves a pretty decent purpose for a social zone in-game, it provides basics for low level characters (and those who want to take advantage of the free doffs otherwise).

MORE to do there though, that is welcome for all social zones. Some short dailies pretty much everywhere would be a good thing.

more dailies and duty officer assignments throughout the game would be good. it would make the game far more interesting to wander around in.

some random short missions, maybe the 5-star foundry missions triggering as you pass their start points would be fun too.
  • alex284alex284 Member Posts: 366 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    All I can say is that the personnel officer needs a name. It's really weird that she's a whole lot more useful than Ferra, but apparently she has terrible hearing and you need to get up really close to talk to her while Ferra can hear you from behind his back all the way across the room.

So basically if she were named Lt. McHardofhearing I'd be very, very happy.