test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Maybe we have this all wrong. It might not be the employees.

daqheghdaqhegh Member Posts: 1,490 Arc User
I was reviewing some of the comments made regarding Season 9.5 and I started to wonder what was going on inside the company. Anyone who has ever had a job knows that company culture has a HUGE impact on how employees see the job they do. And that in turn translates into how they see their customers. It usually shows when a company isn't good to their employees.

So I did a quick search and came up with glassdoor.com. It's basically Yelp for employees. Anyway, the site requires a log in to view more than one review, so I took screenshots of the reviews that stood out to me. There were good and bad ones, but there seemed to be more negative that anything else. Oh, these were mostly text so I did what I could to keep it readable.

Review 1 Part 1
Review 1 Part 2

Review 2 Part 1
Review 2 Part 2

Review 3 Part 1
Review 3 Part 2
Review 3 Part 3 <-- "marketing before retention"
Review 3 Part 4
Review 3 Part 5

Review 4 Part 1 <--pay attention to the cons on this one. I actually believe it.
Review 4 Part 2

Review 5

I realize that negative reviews are more common than positive ones on ANY such site. However, I think there is some validity to it when considering the bigger picture. Nothing here should come as a surprise. The company isn't run well, they don't listen, their employees are not appreciated, etc. etc. This is especially worrisome when they say things like, "You mean nothing unless you are with the right people," "hard workers with no prospect of advancement," and "Development being halted." I'm not claiming this as a full-on explanation for the issues we are all having (and I don't believe anyone who plays an MMO can never have a single issue with it ever). I simply think out suspicions are more correct than we realize. The guys in the tinfoil hats might actually deserve more credit than they are usually given. If nothing else, these reviews prove that our cynicism and frustrations are entirely valid.

Just thought I'd share that.
My Old Blog about things that could and should have been added when I wrote it. Not sure what I want to do with it now. I'll just keep it available now that most of it is outdated.
Post edited by daqhegh on

Comments

• Options
    walshicuswalshicus Member Posts: 1,314 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Keep stirring that ****e, hunting for drama.
    http://mmo-economics.com - analysing the economic interactions in MMOs.
  • Options
    daqheghdaqhegh Member Posts: 1,490 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I'm trying to lighten the load on the aforementioned "bandwagon" thing here.

I also feel like there's an untold story here. We criticize the PR and dev people like it's their fault...I just think maybe it isn't entirely. It doesn't seem like anyone has thought of that.
    My Old Blog about things that could and should have been added when I wrote it. Not sure what I want to do with it now. I'll just keep it available now that most of it is outdated.
  • Options
    a3001a3001 Member Posts: 1,132 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Another doom thread from the tin foil hat brigade. Nothing new under the sun.
    Rejoice JJ Trek people....

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10052253

Why are you not rejoicing?
  • Options
    kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    It's interesting that the insiders are saying a lot of the same things that the players have been saying for years.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    gooddaytodie39gooddaytodie39 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    "A culture of apathy and incompetence". Sounds about right. Honestly though, some of these complaints are common in the gaming industry which is notorious for over working and underpaying their employees, having a "boys club" and being run by "cliques". See EA wives, Activision's glass door etc.
    And office politics and "who you know is more important than what you know" is a lot jobs so nothing new there either.

Not defending Cryptic by any means. These reviews are not really telling us anything we don't already know. Cryptic puts out rushed unfinished content regularly then Geko comes on a podcast and talks about how they inherited STO and did a great job considering they only had 14 months to get it to live. He uses that excuse in every podcast interview I've listened to so far. And that's the guy that's making the decisions.
  • Options
    askrayaskray Member Posts: 3,329 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Do we really need this thread?

We have a lot of "DOOM" or "It's all PWE's fault" or "It's all cryptic's fault" threads roaming around and really they just go down and down till one of us moderators have to step in because people are slamming each other, the company which owns these forums or the company that develops this game.

So short version I'm closing it because really it smells of a DOOM thread.
    Yes, I'm that Askray@Batbayer in game. Yes, I still play. No, I don't care.
    Former Community Moderator, Former SSR DJ, Now Full time father to two kids, Husband, Retail Worker.
    Tiktok: @Askray Facebook: Askray113

This discussion has been closed.