test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

What type of Captain would you be? Your Firefly story....

hawkwing43hawkwing43 Member Posts: 1,701 Arc User
edited July 2014 in Ten Forward
Well a short video has been posted, showing off a little bit of Firefly Online. (Can't Wait BTW.)

I know it's not much but it's a start.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8y98otfH9X8

What type of Captain would I be? A trader type, with a gun at my side, and a good crew to have my back. A man's gotta make his money. :D
Post edited by hawkwing43 on

Comments

• Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Alliance-licensed privateer hunting Reavers.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    philipclaybergphilipclayberg Member Posts: 1,680
    edited July 2014
    Below the radar ... smuggling ... salvaging ... avoiding Reavers ... avoiding Alliance cruisers ... being able to "negotiate" with Patience and her folks ... a Firefly class transport beneath my feet ... a solar wind at my back ... the best crew I can find ... a gun at my hip ... and a brown coat worn at all times.

"And we will call this land ... This Land."
    "I think we should call it your grave."
    "Ah, the inevitable act of betrayal. Take that. Take that." (looks at sensors screen and swears in Chinese) "Reavers incoming!"

"I don't like him."
    "What? What's wrong with him?"
    "I don't know. There's just something about him I don't like."

(and many other favorite "Firefly" quotes")
  • Options
    worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Let's just admit that we all want to be Mal Reynolds. Guy gets to TRIBBLE Morena Baccarin. And shoot cool guns. And look badass while pulling off brilliant stunts.
  • Options
    cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
    edited July 2014
  • Options
    steamwrightsteamwright Member Posts: 2,820
    edited July 2014
    worffan101 wrote: »
    Let's just admit that we all want to be Mal Reynolds. Guy gets to TRIBBLE Morena Baccarin. And shoot cool guns. And look badass while pulling off brilliant stunts.

Not everyone. Some want to wear a knit orange hat and carry lots of weapons. 'Cause "a man [who] walks down the street in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything."

The chance to don a browncoat, though, is powerful appealin'.

I wonder how flexible the roles will be though. Can I, for example, set up a privateer/mercenary medical ship working the frontier worlds? Or create a spaceworthy reconnaissance and information center, in essence, a mobile Mr. Universe?
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Not everyone. Some want to wear a knit orange hat and carry lots of weapons. 'Cause "a man [who] walks down the street in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything."

I wonder how flexible the roles will be though. Can I, for example, set up a privateer/mercenary medical ship working the frontier worlds? Or create a spaceworthy reconnaissance and information center, in essence, a mobile Mr. Universe?

Jayne's pretty cool, too. Three certainly has a lot of him in her.
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    edited July 2014
    worffan101 wrote: »
    Three certainly has a lot of him in her.

I'm raising one eyebrow at that...

Anyways. Alliance Operative sounds fantastic, a chance to put down a rebellion and fly those awesome vertical ships :cool:.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    dahminusdahminus Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    First thought was ZOMG

Second thought...firefly meets the Sims with a dash of gta3

I guess there wasn't any real space combat in the series besides reavers doing suicide kamikaze against the space samuri's armada...

I'm torn...I'll be cautiously optimistic
    Chive on and prosper, eh?

My PvE/PvP hybrid skill tree
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    well, they're saying over on io9.com that the whole cast of Firefly is joining Firefly Online to provide their character voices. Alan Tudyk will play multiple roles, and they even are bringing back creepy, sadistic crime lord Niska. Sounds promising.

EDIT: and on a cool note, Patricia Tallman and Jerry Doyle of Babylon 5 fame have both posted on Facebook their excitement for the Firefly Online project.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    well, they're saying over on io9.com that the whole cast of Firefly is joining Firefly Online to provide their character voices. Alan Tudyk will play multiple roles, and they even are bringing back creepy, sadistic crime lord Niska. Sounds promising.

EDIT: and on a cool note, Patricia Tallman and Jerry Doyle of Babylon 5 fame have both posted on Facebook their excitement for the Firefly Online project.

Indeed it does. I'm ready to put my brown coat on, baby!
  • Options
    kestrelliuskestrellius Member Posts: 462 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Didn't Niska die though? IIRC, Mal's entire crew shot him.

I'd be...hm. I dunno, actually. The Alliance has awesome tech, but I really hate governments that don't know their place. So maybe a mercenary with stolen Alliance gear?

And River on board, if at all possible. Simon, too. And...oh, forget it. The entire Serenity crew.
  • Options
    edited July 2014

I'd be...hm. I dunno, actually. The Alliance has awesome tech, but I really hate governments that don't know their place. So maybe a mercenary with stolen Alliance gear?

And River on board, if at all possible. Simon, too. And...oh, forget it. The entire Serenity crew.

I suspect if Alan Tudyk and Ron Glass are reprising their characters, then this game's time period is set before Serenity, and possibly some of the events in Firefly. Or perhaps some of the game story is done in flashback mode.
  • Options
    edited July 2014

No, that was his second-in-command who got shot, knocked off a railing, landed hard on something metallic and was sawn in half.* Niska got out of there with his skin mostly intact.

* Let it not be said that Joss Whedon is shy about Rasputinian deaths. :D
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• Options
    hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    There's this feeling, in the back of my head, that's telling me:

"Someone is going to TRIBBLE this up. And they may have already."

This can only end badly.
  • Options
    moonshadowdarkmoonshadowdark Member Posts: 1,899 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    What kind of captain will I be?

The kind of captain who will rob you blind. The kind that will leave you stark naked in the desert. The kind who takes all you have and tells you to start running for the next town. You prolly wanna know why. Why would I do this to you? You never wronged me prior. We never met before today. It ain't because your skin's different than mine or your clothes suggest a higher social standing. It ain't about who you're screwin' or who you been screwed. I don't do what I do because I had a bad childhood or ma uncle touched me wrong or what kind of sob story they make up to justify my actions. I do what I do because I can. Because I have me a ship that can outrun the law. I have a crew that can outman the lawless. I myself can outgun the rest of the damn Verse itself.

So you get running. Think about the friendly barkeep in the next town who'll offer you clothes and water after your long trek back to civilization. Think about the lawmen you speak to who promise you they'll catch me. Think about the gunsmith who sells you the pistol you'll use to blow my head off the next time we meet. You think about the satisfaction, the rush, the exhilaration of revenge and justice and freedom. You think about all that right now.

Because I guarantee, the last thing that will be going through your head will be the bullet from my pistol when you turned to run.

I'm the Outlaw.

我是最差的那种人见面
    "A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP"

-Leonard Nimoy, RIP
  • Options
    jengozjengoz Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    nice... I'll be in my bunk.
    "Star Trek Online is powered by the most abundant resource in the galaxy . . . Gullibility"
  • Options
    sander233sander233 Member Posts: 3,992 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    What kind of captain will I be?

The kind of captain who will rob you blind. The kind that will leave you stark naked in the desert. The kind who takes all you have and tells you to start running for the next town. You prolly wanna know why. Why would I do this to you? You never wronged me prior. We never met before today. It ain't because your skin's different than mine or your clothes suggest a higher social standing. It ain't about who you're screwin' or who you been screwed. I don't do what I do because I had a bad childhood or ma uncle touched me wrong or what kind of sob story they make up to justify my actions. I do what I do because I can. Because I have me a ship that can outrun the law. I have a crew that can outman the lawless. I myself can outgun the rest of the damn Verse itself.

So you get running. Think about the friendly barkeep in the next town who'll offer you clothes and water after your long trek back to civilization. Think about the lawmen you speak to who promise you they'll catch me. Think about the gunsmith who sells you the pistol you'll use to blow my head off the next time we meet. You think about the satisfaction, the rush, the exhilaration of revenge and justice and freedom. You think about all that right now.

Because I guarantee, the last thing that will be going through your head will be the bullet from my pistol when you turned to run.

I'm the Outlaw.

我是最差的那种人见面

You win the Heroic Post of the Week award and 1000 internets.
    16d89073-5444-45ad-9053-45434ac9498f.png~original

...Oh, baby, you know, I've really got to leave you / Oh, I can hear it callin 'me / I said don't you hear it callin' me the way it used to do?...
    - Anne Bredon
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Didn't Niska die though?

None of the main villains of series one (still waiting on series two fox :D) died, Joss was saving them all for later 'till... well sad things happened.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

• Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited July 2014

thinking back to the 70's a certain austrian bodybuilder ended up in the states, his accent so thick people couldnt really understand him that well. he went from bodybuilding to acting and became known as a one man army on some films, a mobile mr. universe.

how about a certain creature with multiple eyes, triangular shaped mouth with many teeth, two horns on its head, lizard like flaps for ears, a bulbous bulk and one such creature was known as a shadow broker.

i doubt you would get a profession like the latter but the former is obvious.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    artan42 wrote: »
    None of the main villains of series one (still waiting on series two fox :D) died, Joss was saving them all for later 'till... well sad things happened.

they weren't villains, per se, but several of the shady dealers working with Mal were likely killed off-screen in Serenity when the Operative decided to leave no ground for his quarry to run to. Mr. Universe was the most obvious of this set of targets, but it is implied that the twins, Mingo & Fanty might also be victims of the slaughter. Not sure if folks like Badger perished or not.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    they weren't villains, per se, but several of the shady dealers working with Mal were likely killed off-screen in Serenity when the Operative decided to leave no ground for his quarry to run to. Mr. Universe was the most obvious of this set of targets, but it is implied that the twins, Mingo & Fanty might also be victims of the slaughter. Not sure if folks like Badger perished or not.

We don't mention people that died in Serenity. That leads into really bad flash-backs :mad:.

'"I am a leaf on the wind, watch me s"... *SPLAT*' :mad:.

#TASforSTO

• Options
    edited July 2014

"Or 'watch how I soar' is actually the line."

Okay, I just proved blatantly how much of a Browncoat I am. I just quoted from the fragging gag reel. :D
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• Options
    edited July 2014
    We don't mention people that died in Serenity. That leads into really bad flash-backs :mad:.

Yes, it is really maddening, but I'm hard press to think of another movie scene that so dramatically and instantly sums up the "oh, things just got seriously real now!" thought. Even the "I don't care what you believe. Just believe in something" moment at least had a lead-up to prepare you for the worst. After the "leaf on the wind" moment, nothing was sacred.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Yes, it is really maddening, but I'm hard press to think of another movie scene that so dramatically and instantly sums up the "oh, things just got seriously real now!" thought. Even the "I don't care what you believe. Just believe in something" moment at least had a lead-up to prepare you for the worst. After the "leaf on the wind" moment, nothing was sacred.

I agree, it was a fantastic moment and justified.
    I just hate it :(.

#TASforSTO

• Options
    gooddaytodie39gooddaytodie39 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I got incredibly excited when I saw the tweet about Firefly online. Then I watched the clip and got less excited. The graphics are....not good. Looks like a mobile game. Pretty cheesy.
    Also, Joss is not involved in the game in any way, so as much as I want this game to be awesome I'm not so sure it will be.
  • Options
    moonshadowdarkmoonshadowdark Member Posts: 1,899 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I got incredibly excited when I saw the tweet about Firefly online. Then I watched the clip and got less excited. The graphics are....not good. Looks like a mobile game. Pretty cheesy.
    Also, Joss is not involved in the game in any way, so as much as I want this game to be awesome I'm not so sure it will be.

It is a mobile game.
    "A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP"

-Leonard Nimoy, RIP
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    It is a mobile game.

right, and its still in beta, last I checked. I've done beta on several MMOs that graphically improved at the last minute.