What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Dev interview on STOKED RADIO today

Comments

• Options
    wildthyme467989wildthyme467989 Member Posts: 1,285 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Rather interesting don't you think, that PWE/Cryptic doesn't seem to be promoting this latest interview on their website (unlike the recent Priority One Podcast with the STO Community Manager). I wonder if someone from Cryptic/PWE marketing took a listen and decided that they really don't want this interview to be heard by potential new players: so they aren't going to make any effort to promote it themselves?:eek:

Either that, or they just haven't got around to putting it up yet, they've probably got more important things to do first
  • Options
    tucana66tucana66 Member Posts: 710 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Rather interesting don't you think, that PWE/Cryptic doesn't seem to be promoting this latest interview on their website (unlike the recent Priority One Podcast with the STO Community Manager). I wonder if someone from Cryptic/PWE marketing took a listen and decided that they really don't want this interview to be heard by potential new players: so they aren't going to make any effort to promote it themselves?:eek:
    Indeed. Solid observation there, crypticarmsman.
  • Options
    mustachemavmustachemav Member Posts: 115 Arc User
    edited July 2014

Im actually not suprised, this happens more often than not. I have my speculation as to why this happens, but its pure speculation...

Ill let you ponder as to why
    Facebook | STOked Radio
    Twitter | @STOkedshow
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Either that, or they just haven't got around to putting it up yet, they've probably got more important things to do first

Nawww, they're just trying to bury Gekos contempt for players.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    rinkster wrote: »

I haven't seen any evidence of that in the past
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    I haven't seen any evidence of that in the past

LOL, like Geko couldn't see any useful feedback from tribble on 9.5?
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    LOL, like Geko couldn't see any useful feedback from tribble on 9.5?

No, I mean I haven't seen any evidence of Cryptic burying anything contemptible
  • Options
    hippiejonhippiejon Member Posts: 1,581 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    This "interview" allowed Geko to show his true colors of disdain for players, ignorance of feedback, and ability to TROLL better than any forum goer.
    In short, this "interview" is the defining factor of why I am no longer logging in.

Thanks STOked.
    Without you I'd still be wasting my time helping provide the paycheck of a man who has no respect for the people who indeed matter, his playerbase.
    Thanks to you all I see what kind of a guy Geko really is, and making the decision to stop providing tics on their someone logged in metrics was super easy.

This interview ended STO for me.

At least until Al Rivera has moved on.
  • Options
    voporakvoporak Member Posts: 5,621 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    hippiejon wrote: »

Good timing, Hippie. :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KquYqDOHRnk&feature=youtu.be
    I ask nothing but that you remember me.
  • Options
    orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Can you demonstrate this contempt?
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    orangeitis wrote: »
    Can you demonstrate this contempt?

I don't have to. In the STOked interview Geko demonstrates it himself without any help for me.

I like you, Orange, you always seem to have good ideas or at least interesting ones; and you dont engage in too much silliness.

However, when Geko during the interview characterised the entirety of the tribble feedback on 9.5 as 'ranting', that was contempt.

When, after being asked about confusion over where R+D mats were to be found, he said "You want exploration? There's your exploration!" that was contempt.
  • Options
    edited July 2014

However, when Geko during the interview characterised the entirety of the tribble feedback on 9.5 as 'ranting', that was contempt.

When, after being asked about confusion over where R+D mats were to be found, he said "You want exploration? There's your exploration!" that was contempt.

Couldn't agree more.
    A dev who speaks to and about his player base the way that AL did has no place working on that game anymore.
    His contempt for us is obvious.
    It was obvious during the interview, and both hosts (mav and nikki) just acted like it wasn't happening and tried to laugh it off.
  • Options
    orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I don't have to. In the STOked interview Geko demonstrates it himself without any help for me.
    I don't think that he does. I listened to that interview twice now, and I can't find any trace of contempt.
    I like you, Orange, you always seem to have good ideas or at least interesting ones; and you dont engage in too much silliness.

I disagree. I think that there was too much ranting for him to see the useful critique. If I were him, I probably wouldn't be flipping through every page of a feedback thread when most pages have raging and rants about subjective BS at the very game my team is working so hard on.

IMO, it's completely understandable that he doesn't want to wade through so much TRIBBLE to get to the good bits.
    I'm convinced that line was a joke. I wouldn't take it to heart.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    This "interview" allowed Geko to show his true colors of disdain for players, ignorance of feedback, and ability to TROLL better than any forum goer.
    In short, this "interview" is the defining factor of why I am no longer logging in.

Thanks STOked.
    Without you I'd still be wasting my time helping provide the paycheck of a man who has no respect for the people who indeed matter, his playerbase.
    Thanks to you all I see what kind of a guy Geko really is, and making the decision to stop providing tics on their someone logged in metrics was super easy.

Thanks for watching and i hope that as STOked Radio adapts to the overall gaming environment and moves to cover other games and not stay exclusive to STO coverage that you continue to watch and enjoy, especially in the next week or so for STLV 14 coverage, if that interests you.

In one way its bittersweet that STOked Radio is the catalyst that causes you to leave, however if it has given you an insight or validation that you needed to make that decision than I can rest assured that at least you benefited in some smal part from watching the show.

Know that this past episode is causing me personally to reflect on the shows direction and content and will affect its production in hopefully a positive way that the community can endorse.

Thanks again for watching and i hope to continue watch in the future
    Facebook | STOked Radio
    Twitter | @STOkedshow
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    I don't think that he does. I listened to that interview twice now, and I can't find any trace of contempt.

To be fair, different cultures and experiences may lead us to define contempt differently.
    I disagree. I think that there was too much ranting for him to see the useful critique. If I were him, I probably wouldn't be flipping through every page of a feedback thread when most pages have raging and rants about subjective BS at the very game my team is working so hard on.

IMO, it's completely understandable that he doesn't want to wade through so much TRIBBLE to get to the good bits.

Afraid, again, i disagree.

There seems to be this continuing perception that devs are so fragile and weak, that a bit of a rant is a good enough excuse for them to stop reading the forums and go rest, in a darkened room, with some chamomile tea.

They need to grow up.

There will always be angry posts, its the internet, but they're no excuse for ignoring legitimate and respectful feedback.
    I'm convinced that line was a joke. I wouldn't take it to heart.

I'm sure it was meant as a flippant remark.

And, given there has been some strong feelings on the subject of exploration, that very flippancy comes from a place of contempt.

It only works as a joke, if you operate on the assumption that your critics deserve to be treated with contempt.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Thanks for watching and i hope that as STOked Radio adapts to the overall gaming environment and moves to cover other games and not stay exclusive to STO coverage that you continue to watch and enjoy, especially in the next week or so for STLV 14 coverage, if that interests you.

In one way its bittersweet that STOked Radio is the catalyst that causes you to leave, however if it has given you an insight or validation that you needed to make that decision than I can rest assured that at least you benefited in some smal part from watching the show.

Know that this past episode is causing me personally to reflect on the shows direction and content and will affect its production in hopefully a positive way that the community can endorse.

Thanks again for watching and i hope to continue watch in the future

Despite any disagreements we have ever had, Mav, I still respect you guys and enjoy your show for the most part.
    Don't stop doing what you do.
    Ever.
  • Options
    organicmanfredorganicmanfred Member Posts: 3,236 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Although everything seems to be wrong when I say something, here is one final:

We miss exploration, and I miss doing the usual stuff that ship captains do.

Looking at all those missions in my Doff list I ask myself: why can't I do this?
    Why can't I personally pick up Medical supplies and deliver them to New Romulus?
    Why can't I personally resettle colonists from Death Star 3 to the Lando System?
    Why can't I personally bring Security Troops from Starbase 4711 to Drozana Station?
    Why can't I personally go to the Engineering and work with the Technicians on a Warp Core?

And so on and so on. I mean, there is more than 90% of stuff that interests me in the Doff list that I would like to do.

Wouldn't this qualify as exploration to entertain us till the next grind comes released?

For god's sake, my Doffs have a more interesting job than I..
  • Options
    angelus214angelus214 Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    i think were over looking the real big news here

at 02:45:36 Mav says hes guna have a good time in vegas with Geko

i see strip clubs in their future LOL
    Untitled_1.jpg

Executive Officer of Alpha Squadron
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Despite any disagreements we have ever had, Mav, I still respect you guys and enjoy your show for the most part.
    Don't stop doing what you do.
    Ever.

Thank you.

Again i'm using this latest episode as a learning experience and personal wakeup call and taking a chance on changing the direction the show is headed in the very near future, which will include more interaction with the STO forum community as a whole and possibly, hopefully adding another host, production assistant, and research executive directly chosen from the community to assist in better integration of the STO forums into the show.
    Facebook | STOked Radio
    Twitter | @STOkedshow
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    angelus214 wrote: »
    i think were over looking the real big news here

at 02:45:36 Mav says hes guna have a good time in vegas with Geko

i see strip clubs in their future LOL

Actually as a direct result from feedback regarding the latest episode, i plan to request a follow-up interview with Geko to address many things that i felt were overlooked in this interview and to directly ask questions that were missed or avoided/screened out from the live show
    Facebook | STOked Radio
    Twitter | @STOkedshow
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    edited July 2014

Have you even looked at the UI Feedback thread on Tribble? There's hardly any ranting in the first pages. Actually the majority of posts is constructive feedback. If Geko was really looking for some good feedback he would have easily found it there. I think his statement was an insult to every player who invested time and effort to provide some actual feedback.
  • Options
    ocp001ocp001 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Sure would be nice for an actual interview that didn't read like a cryptic PR orgy. Wouldn't want to attempt any hard questions would we?
  • Options
    gurluasgurluas Member Posts: 464 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    mvp333 wrote: »
    They can't make T6 the same way they made the tiers before it... So many people have spent so much time and money on T5 ships and Vice Admiral-level gear (Ironically, the only real money I spent was on T4 - A D'Kyr!) that I get the sense that massive ragequits would ensue. I'd have to assume that whatever they're doing, it's... Different.

D'kyr is Tier 5, not Tier 4, otherwise I could have used it on my Romulan...And I really want to.
  • Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,113 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Actually as a direct result from feedback regarding the latest episode, i plan to request a follow-up interview with Geko to address many things that i felt were overlooked in this interview and to directly ask questions that were missed or avoided/screened out from the live show

Seriously - I wish you luck with that and hope you're able to get Mr. Al Rivera to agree to that. In all honesty though, I think you'll either receive a polite - "It's not a good time with <X> going on right now..." (be it something development related with Expansion 2 that he states is taking a lot of his time; or something else STLV Con related that will unfortunately prevent him from finding time in his schedule to give you such an interview. If it does happen, I may gain some respect for Mr. Rivera as a STO Developer back regardless of the answers, as long as he gives some up front answers to some of the more direct questions regarding many of his design decisions for STO of late.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited July 2014

Thanks STOked.

I understand where you come from. I usually avoid listening to any of Geko's interviews, because well, somehow I barely ever happen to like what I hear him saying - however after comments in the community I decided to go through this one and well....yeah, you know the rest.

Have to admit, with all the stuff they've done lately, this interview has put me seriously on the fence of doing the same thing. In a way, I felt the same you speak of - I'm using the services and creating revenue for people that can't even be bothered to put a mask of polite respect for the people that provide their livelihood. Honesty is one thing, but this is just contempt. If the manager of a store where I shop treated me that way, you can be sure that it's the last time I set foot there. Why should this be different? I mean, I love Star Trek, however - it's not like it has been overally fun since D'Angelo took over. And I'm less than impressed with the general direction the game is taking. Maybe it really is time to look for greener pastures for myself as well. :(

Always a sad thing to see good people leave. :(
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • Options
    zeratkzeratk Member Posts: 409
    edited July 2014
    I bet he won't show up at all, if you announce to adress probelmatic issues in advance. All they want to do is to advertise their product.
    This is Crypticverse... :mad:
  • Options
    gooddaytodie39gooddaytodie39 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014

Thanks and good luck. I look forward to hearing the follow up interview.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Seriously - I wish you luck with that and hope you're able to get Mr. Al Rivera to agree to that. In all honesty though, I think you'll either receive a polite - "It's not a good time with <X> going on right now..." (be it something development related with Expansion 2 that he states is taking a lot of his time; or something else STLV Con related that will unfortunately prevent him from finding time in his schedule to give you such an interview. If it does happen, I may gain some respect for Mr. Rivera as a STO Developer back regardless of the answers, as long as he gives some up front answers to some of the more direct questions regarding many of his design decisions for STO of late.

I will certainly give it my best effort
    Facebook | STOked Radio
    Twitter | @STOkedshow
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    bareelbareel Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited July 2014

On priority one the dev they had on did explain the future plans to help fix some of the listed problems and they do seem to have a good idea on what they are and how to solve them. Well that particular dev does at least.

I highly recomend listening to it as research atleast the parts about the doff UI. Link below has the time stamps for the juicy bits.
    http://www.reddit.com/r/sto/comments/2bbdhs/notes_for_priority_one_podcast_episode_183_thomas/

As for feedback on the forums of extremely high quality be sure to check out the posts by 'frtoaster' as he/she gives concise rant free feedback. Their are many others, too many for me to remember offhand, but be sure to spot the ones from him/her.

Honestly the entire thing wasn't terrible. The question is what is the role or purpose you desire for the podcast to have? Do you want to be a source of news, hype, and information about STO? Nothing wrong with that by the way. Or do you want to be the more hard hitting reporter type where you dig into the details and ask the devs the hard questions with a mountain of research at your back for support?

The last podcast it seemed like you wanted to try being the hard hitting reporter style of host but you had the attitude? posture? tone? of a news/hype style host. That contrast created, in my eyes, the problem.

Either way, thank you for your effort and hard work.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Thank you.

Again i'm using this latest episode as a learning experience and personal wakeup call and taking a chance on changing the direction the show is headed in the very near future, which will include more interaction with the STO forum community as a whole and possibly, hopefully adding another host, production assistant, and research executive directly chosen from the community to assist in better integration of the STO forums into the show.

I'd love to interview a dev.

Sadly, i dont think Cryptic is ready for Jeremy Paxman style interviewing........