test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Too Far

daedalus304daedalus304 Member Posts: 1,049 Arc User
PWE's goals have pushed too far, we all could see the TRIBBLE but for the most part I've accepted it.

I've tolerated the Time gate rep system.

I've tolerated the grind

I've tolerated the saturation of non faction ships

I've tolerated the crappy AI

I've tolerated the sheer greed

I've even tolerated the lack of anything interesting to do

but the crapifying of the Crafting system, a system which should have been refreshing and only limited to the materials, has taken my drunk goggles off.

I see all the TRIBBLE that makes this game nothing more than a huge grindfest, the FE's stopped rolling in, the story which was the only thing to make the game even slightly trek went out the door.

I still play this game because I've been with it since the begining, and no matter how much TRIBBLE gets caked onto it, I'll always play it. but I'm done with everything else, I'm done defending it, I'm done bringing friends into it, and I've payed for everything that I wanted to.

I hope STO can get back on track someday, but hope for this game is as strong as the common hangar pets against a warp core breach.
Post edited by daedalus304 on

Comments

• Options
    binebanebinebane Member Posts: 557 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    i wonder if will we ever get some rewards for bringing new players here...
  • Options
    hippiejonhippiejon Member Posts: 1,581 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    ... I'm done defending it, I'm done bringing friends into it...

Same.

This was once a game I suggested to friends.

No longer.

Now it is a game I suggest my friends stay away from.
  • Options
    policestate76policestate76 Member Posts: 1,424 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    You forgot to say that you tolerated all the bugs in-game that are our adventure companions since ages ago as well :P, why people always forget the most important things?? sigh.
  • Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,115 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    binebane wrote: »
    i wonder if will we ever get some rewards for bringing new players here...

They actually did that back when the game was subscription based. (Largest reward was the Galaxy-X.) That all went away with the re-tool, to F2P; most likely because in the end they really want paying players; and I would assume they feel the something like 'get you fried to buy $10.00 worth of Zen and get..." either would generate bad PR in the long run; or compete directly with some C-Store stuff, etc.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    wilbor2wilbor2 Member Posts: 1,684 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Just dont spend cash on the game any more its what ive done legacy was the last real update i was happy with why a new story line to play. Star Trek is about story set in space not farming set in space
    gs9kwcxytstg.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    hippiejon wrote: »
    Same.

No longer.

+1. I mean, even if for a really weird reason i recommend this game to a friend, i dont think he will be so stupid to keep playing for more than a month. They are grown people, you know.

Ive considered in the past a lot of times to recommend this game to a couple of friends, that were looking for a mmorpg. They didnt like star trek too much, but well, as i said to em, this is not about star trek, this is just a mmorpg. But fortunately i didnt, and i am really proud of not doing it. They will kill me... :P
  • Options
    binebanebinebane Member Posts: 557 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    They actually did that back when the game was subscription based. (Largest reward was the Galaxy-X.) That all went away with the re-tool, to F2P; most likely because in the end they really want paying players; and I would assume they feel the something like 'get you fried to buy $10.00 worth of Zen and get..." either would generate bad PR in the long run; or compete directly with some C-Store stuff, etc.
    so i heard. but why not any more? why nothing special if you bring new people to game now? dont they want new players?
  • Options
    bbushwookiebbushwookie Member Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    PWE's goals have pushed too far, we all could see the TRIBBLE but for the most part I've accepted it.

I've tolerated the grind

but the crapifying of the Crafting system, a system which should have been refreshing and only limited to the materials, has taken my drunk goggles off.

I see all the TRIBBLE that makes this game nothing more than a huge grindfest, the FE's stopped rolling in, the story which was the only thing to make the game even slightly trek went out the door.

I still play this game because I've been with it since the begining, and no matter how much TRIBBLE gets caked onto it, I'll always play it. but I'm done with everything else, I'm done defending it, I'm done bringing friends into it, and I've payed for everything that I wanted to.

I hope STO can get back on track someday, but hope for this game is as strong as the common hangar pets against a warp core breach.

Compared to other "FTP" games out there, this one is far from greedy. We don't have to start paying to play after a certain level or to unlock basic game functions.

This is one of the few games left that are actually FTP. It's up to you..pay for something if you want, or work for it. You don't HAVE to buy Zen, you can work for dilith and convert it and buy a new shiny. But there is nothing on this game you MUST spend money on to play it.

As far as the non-canon ships, yeah that gets a little crazy. but if you stop and think about it, what else do you want them to do? People play this game 24 hours a day. 7 days a week. Your not going to be able to keep putting new "canon" stuff in before you run out of ideas.

all of the series and movies being played 24/7 wouldn't add up to a week. So somewhere Cryptic has to come up with other ideas. Also, we aren't see the numbers of ship sales....perhaps when they offer a new faction ship it sells a lot more than a cannon ship, because people have the cannon ships. They are a company, they need to keep the servers on.

Seriously look at dilithium now. You can hit 2 ground Battlezones and 2 Undine Battlezones and be near your 8k. Not to mention the ton of marks, that you can trade for dilith if you don't need any other gear.

I think the "greed" you talk about is more from the complainers of this game. People who want more, more, more, from a FTP game. No matter what new stuff comes out they complain. If you didn't have to grind and everything was easy to get, people would complain its not hard enough, or there is no challenge.

I recommend this game still to friends, and have had a few say its nice not having to pay out of pocket for stuff. If you want something, work for it, or take the easy way and pay. If you don't like that, perhaps there is another game that will make all your wildest fantasies come true.
    Space chatter is soothing~
  • Options
    zipagatzipagat Member Posts: 1,204 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I will not sacrifice STO. We've made too many compromises already, too many retreats. They invade our game, and we fall back. They cut game content, and we fall back. Not again. The line must be drawn here! This far, no further! And I will make them pay for what they've done!
  • Options
    centaurianalphacentaurianalpha Member Posts: 1,150 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Your not going to be able to keep putting new "cannon" stuff in before you run out of ideas.

1. It's CANON, not cannon!

2. Obviously, Craptic ran out of ideas even before Season 8; armored dinosaurs with lasers is the farthest thing ever from Star Trek.

3. It does not take a prodigious amount of imagination to come up with a story line incorporating the factions already extant in the game; after all, the series & movie writers managed to do so in admirable fashion. It should even be possible to recreate actual seasons of ST from the series, making a playable mission of each episode. Not much imagination needed there!

4. Sadly, the dev's are relying upon their own wits, instead of mining the rich vein of player/fan knowledge of the ST canon, gaming skills, and passion for excellence. Active (official) solicitation of story arc/mission ideas just has not happened in my experience here.

That said, as disappointed as I am with recent developments, I will continue to play, partly because of my fleet friendships, and partly because my OCD won't allow me to leave things unfinished. Until the dev's stop falling over themselves to strip the fun from the game though, I'll not spend another cent for in-game shinies. There is still enough good content to keep me interested for a while, but I could are less about new content at this point, until the broken things are fixed, including the horrible lag currently in the social zones.
    Expendables Fleet: Andrew - Bajoran Fed Engineer Ken'taura - Rom/Fed Scientist Gwyllim - Human Fed Delta Tac
    Savik - Vulcan Fed Temporal Sci
    Dahar Masters Fleet: Alphal'Fa - Alien KDF Engineer Qun'pau - Rom/KDF Engineer D'nesh - Orion KDF Scientist Ghen'khan - Liberated KDF Tac
    Welcome to StarBug Online - to boldly Bug where no bug has been before!
    STO player since November 2013
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    edited July 2014
    I honestly don't mind any of the major changes or updates since LoR, the only exception to this is the removal of the multiples of the same R&D school.

I don't care about rushing through it, I don't care about multiple schools, I don't care about low-level vendorcrap, I don't care about making millions of EC.

All I want is to be reasonable high in it for crafting a few guns I want. I don't even mind the randomness as I wouldn't have wasted all my materials and Dilithium on things I was never going to use.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    kavasekavase Member Posts: 771 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Same.

No longer.

Same here. Actually it's a game that I would suggest to my enemies!

Just kidding, I probably wouldn't recommend it to my enemies.
    Retired. I'm now in search for that perfect space anomaly.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    3. It does not take a prodigious amount of imagination to come up with a story line incorporating the factions already extant in the game; after all, the series & movie writers managed to do so in admirable fashion. It should even be possible to recreate actual seasons of ST from the series, making a playable mission of each episode. Not much imagination needed there!

True but the Series only had to make a story for 1hr a week, for one season at a time, and whatever they put on there was instantly considered canon. If they did that here, everyone would still complain it's not right. However I am a fan of them taking some of the foundry winners and having them come up with continuous content to roll into a story line. They make much better stories than the seasons here (although the last FE was awesome IMO).

I'm not saying everything on STO is wonderful. The economy needs a fix. The new R&D has driven doff prices sky high, which everyone knew it would, not sure why the devs didn't come up with something for that. But a majority of things i still enjoy. If I get bored i start switching ships and builds to take into the grind. When all 5 reps are finished i start a new toon.

Even though a lot of stuff is "non-canon" i still enjoy it for Star Trek.

By the way, love the Prokhor Zakharov pic.
  • Options
    smeeinn1tsmeeinn1t Member Posts: 618 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Same.

No longer.

+1. I mean, even if for a really weird reason i recommend this game to a friend, i dont think he will be so stupid to keep playing for more than a month. They are grown people, you know.

Ive considered in the past a lot of times to recommend this game to a couple of friends, that were looking for a mmorpg. They didnt like star trek too much, but well, as i said to em, this is not about star trek, this is just a mmorpg. But fortunately i didnt, and i am really proud of not doing it. They will kill me... :P
    kavase wrote: »
    Same here. Actually it's a game that I would suggest to my enemies!

Just kidding, I probably wouldn't recommend it to my enemies.

Very much this, I have a Canadian friend that I bugged all the time to play, since the Valentines day massacre patch of season 7 I've never mentioned it to him or anyone else. I took a break for 6 months and came back into LOR hoping to find a reason to drag my friend in, but no... Then came the dinos, again no... Since 8.5 I've stopped hoping that I would once again recommend this game to him or anyone else (The little optimist inside me is whispering wait 'till S10 it'll fix it all...).
    V9BQ6SM.gif
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." — Lazarus Long --->Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    bones1970bones1970 Member Posts: 953 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    skollulfr wrote: »
    if cryptic do an fe, which takes a couple of months, players hit it once per toon or maybe more for specific drops, then complain there is nothing to do.

Thats becouse they now make SP FE's, the old FE's i played 100's of times, with friends and fleet-mates, this is a MMO were i want to play with them.
  • Options
    admiralodanadmiralodan Member Posts: 49 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Compared to other "FTP" games out there, this one is far from greedy. We don't have to start paying to play after a certain level or to unlock basic game functions.

This is one of the few games left that are actually FTP. It's up to you..pay for something if you want, or work for it. You don't HAVE to buy Zen, you can work for dilith and convert it and buy a new shiny. But there is nothing on this game you MUST spend money on to play it.

Seriously look at dilithium now. You can hit 2 ground Battlezones and 2 Undine Battlezones and be near your 8k. Not to mention the ton of marks, that you can trade for dilith if you don't need any other gear.

I think the "greed" you talk about is more from the complainers of this game. People who want more, more, more, from a FTP game. No matter what new stuff comes out they complain. If you didn't have to grind and everything was easy to get, people would complain its not hard enough, or there is no challenge.

I recommend this game still to friends, and have had a few say its nice not having to pay out of pocket for stuff. If you want something, work for it, or take the easy way and pay. If you don't like that, perhaps there is another game that will make all your wildest fantasies come true.

Bbushwookie I have a question for you do you want to spend 2 plus years working on maxxing out all of your crafting? And the only way to consistently speed that up is too feed it Dilithium that you also have to grind??

Seriously there was no better solution??
    The Costs of Delta Rising Upgrades

My new sig till Cryptic fixes it....
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Bbushwookie I have a question for you do you want to spend 2 plus years working on maxxing out all of your crafting? And the only way to consistently speed that up is too feed it Dilithium that you also have to grind??

Seriously there was no better solution??

The way I am doing it is a school or two per toon. Also have fleet mates that are doing a couple. when we want something from the school, have that person or toon build it. Plus, this isn't then end all be all. This is just the start, I'm sure they will make changes to help, and add more to it. Just not going to be all doom and gloom over it yet.
  • Options
    stomperx99stomperx99 Member Posts: 863 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    If you're leaving can I have your stuff? I need it for the awesome crafting system! :)
    ZomboDroid10122015042230.jpg

I'm sorry to people who I, in the past, insulted, annoyed, etc.
  • Options
    daedalus304daedalus304 Member Posts: 1,049 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    stomperx99 wrote: »
    If you're leaving can I have your stuff? I need it for the awesome crafting system! :)

I'm never gonna stop playing the game, but I will always keep my friends and all the people following several prominent youtubers from going to STO.
  • Options
    edited July 2014

You need to play more mmorpgs. Almost all of em have the same system than STO. You can convert in-game premium currency for money currency and buy premium items. Only a couple of em i tried the last week still havent implemented this , but i presume it is because they are multiplattform mmorpgs.
  • Options
    kawasakizx10rrkawasakizx10rr Member Posts: 76 Arc User
    edited July 2014

I've tolerated the grind

+1 Nailed it
    yEt6JSa.gifMEANWHILE AT THE CRYPTIC HEADQUARTERS
  • Options
    jbmonroejbmonroe Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    4. Sadly, the dev's are relying upon their own wits, instead of mining the rich vein of player/fan knowledge of the ST canon, gaming skills, and passion for excellence. Active (official) solicitation of story arc/mission ideas just has not happened in my experience here.

And it won't. There's a reason comic books, television shows, and movie studios don't accept unsolicited manuscripts, and it's in force here, too.
    boldly-watched.png
  • Options
    macroniusmacronius Member Posts: 2,526
    edited July 2014
    When I red your title this came to mind. LOL! Sir Patrick Steward is awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSjOUP4kES8

:eek:
    "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

- Judge Aaron Satie
  • Options
    bunansabunansa Member Posts: 928 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    We should just retitle season 9 and 9.5 to Rick Rolled

:rolleyes:
    tumblr_ndmkqm59J31r5ynioo2_r2_500.gif

• Options
    edited July 2014
    You need to play more mmorpgs. Almost all of em have the same system than STO. You can convert in-game premium currency for money currency and buy premium items. Only a couple of em i tried the last week still havent implemented this , but i presume it is because they are multiplattform mmorpgs.

And are they completely FTP? They don't lock you to a certain level or want you to pay for basic stuff? If so, you guys should check them out and see how awesome they are. I'm sure they will have forums for you to nit pick every move the developers make :rolleyes:
  • Options
    tehbubbalootehbubbaloo Member Posts: 2,003 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    jbmonroe wrote: »
    And it won't. There's a reason comic books, television shows, and movie studios don't accept unsolicited manuscripts, and it's in force here, too.

some of the 'cryptic' episodes are former foundry missions.
  • Options
    dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Same.
    No longer.

Yeah, I bugged my Mac friend alot when Mac compatibility came out. At this point I'm glad he kept saying 'no' and I've stopped bugging him. :( It'd be embarrassing if he got on and asked "You like this game?"

STO is going into the 'guilty pleasure' category... just wish it had more pleasure and less grind. At this point, STO seems more time killer while I wait for the next WoW expansion or Star Citizen.
  • Options
    snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    We don't have to start paying to play after a certain level or to unlock basic game functions.

Yeah, you do. Not to access what little content is there, but to unlock basic game functions you do. The difference between someone who is completely F2P and someone who has "paid" for something is a couple of very basic game functions that get unlocked when you pay.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]