test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Crafting - am I impatient or is it *just plain terrible*?

drazursouthclawdrazursouthclaw Member Posts: 223 Arc User
So all those crafting mats I collected and hung on to are now useless?

Oh, I can use them later, maybe, perhaps?

Perhaps I can use them but don't have psychic powers so didn't know about that, even though the crafting and doff popup was 15 damn pages/entires long? I HAD ONE QUESTION. ONE. Did you answer it during those 15 pages/entries? No.

I swear, it's like you want me to hate progress.

Is it really too much to expect to be able to find an answer WITHIN THE GAME?

Apparently so, or I am stupid. That's not impossible.

Hell, it's probably a heady mix of both.

But my point remains - stupid crafting revamp remains aloof and stupid.
Post edited by drazursouthclaw on

Comments

• Options
    latiasracerlatiasracer Member Posts: 680 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Nope, it's another reputation system - Just with a different UI. Also, you don't get to choose the quality of your rep gear, So you could end up forking out loads of time and resources to get something in green or blue quality.
    warp plasma can't melt neutronium beams
  • Options
    drasymdrasym Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    useless.. not quite. You can convert the old craft mats into the new. double or right click the item to open the conversion menu.

Agreed they don't explain things well.. ok, not at all.

Wasn't happy about having to relevel crafting till someone pointed out the 20 hour mission at the bottom of each category page. (the one that claims 0exp on the summary page) WHen you start the mission it gives 6k crafting research exp for the cost of one common material. More exp if you crit it. (purple doff adds +30 to that chance so if you have purp doffs you will crit it fairly often)

For myself i just treat it like one more doff mission, set the 20 hour craft 1x and i had 2 R&D slots, set it again on the 2 slots now i have 3. Few more days I will have a skill up to useful levels to actually make something I might need.

Is the new syetem good or bad? I think its too soon for me to say. Better than the old system certainly as you couldn't craft anything anyone wanted to use under the old. Figure about 7-10 days I will have enough high level skills to really make stuff and know for sure. If nothing else though, have you checked beam array prices on the exchange since the patch? Dirt cheap for low level beam arrays as everyone makes them to level up beams. Even good ones. So If you have a new character and/or plan to make one soon, buy gear now while everyone is leveling crafting.. lolz
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    drasym wrote: »
    useless.. not quite. You can convert the old craft mats into the new. double or right click the item to open the conversion menu.

Agreed they don't explain things well.. ok, not at all.

Wasn't happy about having to relevel crafting till someone pointed out the 20 hour mission at the bottom of each category page. (the one that claims 0exp on the summary page) WHen you start the mission it gives 6k crafting research exp for the cost of one common material. More exp if you crit it. (purple doff adds +30 to that chance so if you have purp doffs you will crit it fairly often)

For myself i just treat it like one more doff mission, set the 20 hour craft 1x and i had 2 R&D slots, set it again on the 2 slots now i have 3. Few more days I will have a skill up to useful levels to actually make something I might need.

Is the new syetem good or bad? I think its too soon for me to say. Better than the old system certainly as you couldn't craft anything anyone wanted to use under the old. Figure about 7-10 days I will have enough high level skills to really make stuff and know for sure. If nothing else though, have you checked beam array prices on the exchange since the patch? Dirt cheap for low level beam arrays as everyone makes them to level up beams. Even good ones. So If you have a new character and/or plan to make one soon, buy gear now while everyone is leveling crafting.. lolz

I think the time needed until you really have a chance of getting something useful is a bit too long. They should probably have added a few low grade items you would still want to have- say, consumables - that you can start early.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    blackjackwidowblackjackwidow Member Posts: 572 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    drasym wrote: »

THANK YOU! I didn't understand why that mission gives 0 crafting XP. And the button gives you the impression that you can't 'view details' of the mission prior to starting it, so was in a quandary.

Another example of no information given; misleading info and just plain incorrect. I'm a 'read the directions' person; I feel for the OP. Nothing about the 'help' actually tells you what's happening.

Thanks again for the 20 hr project details.

Aliella Hawklight, Divine Oracle Devoted Cleric
    "Whenever a time arises where clarity is desired, it is always wise to reflect on the sage within."
    ― Sereda Aleta Dailey

DaiMon Moogie, U.S.S. Acquisition
    Rule of Acquisition #57: Good customers are as rare as latinum. Treasure them.

STO LTS since launch; NW player since 2014; ARC user - only when I have to put in codes for free stuff :)
  • Options
    cannydogcannydog Member Posts: 147 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I have stacks and stacks of regular data samples (as opposed to "particle traces"... which I also have stacks and stacks of) that are now USELESS! They cannot be converted it seems. And when I tried to convert a particle trace it would only give me a piece of junk. This is WRONG! Its just not fair for them to take so much of our work and render it completely useless.

As for the rest of the system... I was willing to put up with some randomness in output. In the hope that eventually I'd be able to make some high quality Mk XII gear. But the "20 hour" timer on projects and the fact that you can only do One Project at a time is just excessive to the point of being ridiculous. Then to add insult to injury they let you buy your way out of it for only a mere 18k dillithium.

This system is far worse than just "Terrible" its an egregious attempt to force us to buy zen. And I really resent it. And I love the Star Trek IP but they might just loose me permanently over this issue. There are other games out, or on the way, that I can play and not have to put up with kind of TRIBBLE.
  • Options
    plox21plox21 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    cannydog wrote: »
    I have stacks and stacks of regular data samples (as opposed to "particle traces"... which I also have stacks and stacks of) that are now USELESS! They cannot be converted it seems. And when I tried to convert a particle trace it would only give me a piece of junk. This is WRONG! Its just not fair for them to take so much of our work and render it completely useless.

They can be converted , you must split one of them in 2 stacks and then start to convert them.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    wilbor2wilbor2 Member Posts: 1,684 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    The crafting is just a other long grind the devs seam to think that grind is all MMO are about ill just sell all the new crafting TRIBBLE n buy the stuff i wont once people post it
    gs9kwcxytstg.jpg
  • Options
    mars5000mars5000 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Related question: Aside from Ques and Doff missions, are you able to farm mats anymore ie Cluster Missions? Doesn't appear to be the case right now unless I've missed something.
  • Options
    swamarianswamarian Member Posts: 1,506 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    mars5000 wrote: »
    Related question: Aside from Ques and Doff missions, are you able to farm mats anymore ie Cluster Missions? Doesn't appear to be the case right now unless I've missed something.

No. You just get the sector science/exploration missions.
  • Options
    asindar1asindar1 Member Posts: 89 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    With doffing there is scan, analyze, and study ruins missions for crafting materials.

Within episodes and patrol mission there are the scan anomalies particles.

As prizes for STF's there are now crafting prize boxes.

A 1K dil recruitment assignment at you local academy recruiter will have crafting material and a chance at an R&D doff.

C-store offer crafting packs.
  • Options
    dorilin8dorilin8 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Why doesn't STO include the Ability to Reverse Engineer or Deconstruct Uncommon and above Items to gain Random Mats? if they were gonna overhaul the system and leave those who maxed Crafting on the old system in a lurch, they could have at least added the r/e or Deconstruct to this system to make it whole!!
  • Options
    olivia211olivia211 Member Posts: 675 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I was jazzed to learn we were getting a new crafting system, but once I saw all the gating they were putting on it, I really had second thoughts on it. I like being able to craft various levels of gear, but I am just so sick of the time gating. Not only that, but it seems silly that someone like me with several hundred doffs can only have 5 of them working on crafting projects at a time. Even with all of my doff assignments going, something like 90% of my doffs end up sitting on their hands.

Tell me again why I bought extra doff slots? I am forgetting now. And regretting a bit.
    No, I am not who you think I am. I am someone different. I am instead a banana.
  • Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    mars5000 wrote: »

There is another way, the feature episodes. They revamped all the scanning points. New art, new locations, and there's more of them. You can actually play something worthwhile now AND get crafting materials at your own pace.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!