test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Am I the only one sick of how many lock boxes there are? Are there too many now?

thedoctorblueboxthedoctorbluebox Member Posts: 749 Arc User
Seriously discussion, personally, I am getting overwhelmed with lock boxes. I do not have the resources to open them, my resources are very thin on all fronts, I don't have the time to grind to get those resources.

The point for me, to open a lock box, is not the "other" stuff in it, but for the potential to get one of the ships. However, that chance is very very low, so many many boxes must be opened, and even then, you may still never get a ship. It's a huge gamble, with not enough pay off for me.

I also feel like Cryptic keeps releasing lock box after lock box and are in fact using the lock box as a method or mechanism to release new "content." I truly believe to Cryptic that these lock boxes are new "content" in their minds. This is not what I want for new content in the game, I want more storyline.

Anyway, I do feel the number of lock box types is exploding exponentially. How many types/species of lock boxes are they going to have in this game? Are we going to get to a point where we have a hundred different lock box types? That would be insane, but I don't see Cryptic stopping with lock boxes, they seem to want to flood us with them.

I feel overwhelmed, I cannot keep up with the amount of lox box types out there. I haven't even opened one Undine lock box since they were introduced, and now there is a newer Xindi one!

Just too much, just too much. I cannot keep up. Please slow it down on lock boxes. At the very least, if this is going to continue, make ALL lock boxes drop randomly so I can play catch up, which will take me years.
Post edited by thedoctorbluebox on

Comments

• Options
    flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    As long as Cryptic make money from them (which they do and will) then they'll be staying, and more will be released.

Son'a Next Please. About time we had them. Surely they'd be up for launching some subspace weapons at an Iconian base?
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • Options
    lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,827 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    It's all about lining their pockets of course! Losing one person opening up boxes wont matter to them compared to all the people who pay hundreds of dollars to get lucky...

They don't give a damn about balance, about fixing the game, about any resemblance of fairness to the red headed factions, and don't care about you.
  • Options
    voporakvoporak Member Posts: 5,621 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    The lock boxes will continue until morale improves.

(Yes I know that lock boxes push morale down)
    I ask nothing but that you remember me.
  • Options
    darkjeffdarkjeff Member Posts: 2,590 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    My only real problem with them is that they only stack up to 20. It's kind of crowding my bank.

Can we have them stack up to 100, please?
  • Options
    ovinspaceovinspace Member Posts: 310
    edited July 2014
    Why not ignore them and buy the ships on the exchange if/when you can afford it?
    I think you can even set your looting so as not to take common items.
  • Options
    coupaholiccoupaholic Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    To be fair it's only really a problem during those times when all the different lockboxes drop. Most of the time it is only the one lockbox.

It's the drop rate of them that gets me. They could easily half the rate and they'll still be easy to get.
  • Options
    bhthephoenixbhthephoenix Member Posts: 127 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    If you are not going to use them then just discard them. You can also use old ships to store gear and crafting has its own space now. (And personally that was what was taking up my bank slots anyway)

I like the new xindi lockbox. Also the game is free to play. Cryptic does have to make money in order to keep STO online. Lock boxes seem to be a decent way of doing that. So unless you have an alternate way for cryptic to pay their staff and to afford to make new content, Lock boxes it is then.
  • Options
    shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    The first one was too many, doctor. Unfortunately, we're now stuck with them anyway for the entire lifespan of STO.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • Options
    kestrelliuskestrellius Member Posts: 462 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I hate to argue with the Doctor, but I really actually kind of like this method of doing things. It "seeds" the game with new ships and gear, which can be bought for EC if you don't want to gamble. It's no replacement for new story, of course, but as a money-making scheme and ship/equipment delivery system, it's frankly brilliant.

Fantastic, even.
  • Options
    atlmyklatlmykl Member Posts: 305 Arc User1
    edited July 2014
    Gotta love it when people whine about the nerve of making money. I am sure they do everything for free at their place of business. To be honest they probably do not have jobs. That would explain the lack of understanding that to continue STO has to make money. You dont use lock boxes? Good for you! That means other people are keeping the lights on for STO. Be grateful.
  • Options
    eldarion79eldarion79 Member Posts: 1,679 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    To answer one of the Doctor's questions; Yes, Cryptic considers this new content. During the Great Content Drought of 2011 (Player Reckoning) by Cryptic's Reckoning, it had a ton of new content. This argument was repeated when the last of the five episode Featured Episode Event was released.
  • Options
    sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I agree, however, that ship has sailed....

Do what I do, ignore them and delete every box on site!
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• Options
    thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Seriously discussion, personally, I am getting overwhelmed with lock boxes. I do not have the resources to open them, my resources are very thin on all fronts, I don't have the time to grind to get those resources.
    Cryptic puts out 4 Lockbox promotions a year: Hirogen was Jan to April, Undine was April to July, Xindi is July to (most likely) October, at which time we will get another for a total of 4.

If 4 a year is too much for you to keep track of, well, there is not much I can say to that. Maybe you need to try another game. :)

As far as not having enough resources for each one, you are not supposed to have enough. No one is supposed to get every Lockbox ship. You are supposed to go for the ones you like and ignore the rest. Heck, when Ford puts out 6 new cars each year do you buy all 6 or only the one you like? :)

If Cryptic wants to put out 4 Loxbox promotions each year and I am not forced to buy into them if I do not wish to I do not see how that is a problem? It is good for Cryptic and I am free to get or ignore whatever I want. Free will, baby. :)
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    mikeflmikefl Member Posts: 861 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I like the lock boxes myself. I don't bother with the ships unless I want to make EC off it but key selling is almost as good or better. I have yet to keep a lock box or lobi ship. I did buy a Suliban ship for my crafter off the exchange once they were cheap. The boxes are a good way for Cryptic to make money. I would much rather this game be subscription based but I fear there would be no game so I'll have to be happy with the current system of revenue. If I buy ships, I buy c-store ships so I can use them on whoever I choose. Lets face it, you could be playing SWTOR like me and they want money for everything including the ability to sprint before level 10 not really full F2P if you ask me.

I do however want to see some improved exploration content even if its mini missions but way worn out on the repetitive queue stuff.
    Gold Sub since March 2010
    Lifetime Sub since June 2010
  • Options
    tenkaritenkari Member Posts: 2,906 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I feel there should be at least a 2-3 week period between lockboxes where NOT A SINGLE ONE drops.
  • Options
    rustiswordzrustiswordz Member Posts: 824 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Typical, they have the boring aquatics, the ugly reptilians and....... no incetoid ship the best designed one of the lot. Bloody typical: Xindi box, nil points. :mad:
    Monkey see, Monkey do. Monkey flings Feathered Monkey poo... :D
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I'm just disappointed there's nothing in them that I want.
  • Options
    ravinravin Member Posts: 509 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Am I the only one sick of how many threads decrying lock boxes there are? Are there too many now?
    =\/= ================================ =\/=
    Centurion maximus92
    12th Legion, Romulan Republic
    12th Fleet

=\/= ================================ =\/=
  • Options
    gooddaytodie39gooddaytodie39 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I'm not into the lock box thing. I'd much rather see a lot more things put into the Zen store. I'm all for buying cool new stuff that I know I'm going to get but am not down to gamble away my money in hopes of getting the new ship I want.
    Why depend so much on Lock Boxes for your revenue? Why not put all these cool new ships in the Zen store? This is the bottom line for me:
    If the new Xindi carrier went into the Zen store today I'd buy it as soon as I got home gladly for $25.00 bucks. Instead, I'll buy a few keys off the exchange with ec I earned at no cost and open a few boxes trying to get a Carrier. After that EC is gone, I won't grind more ec for a long time as that EC took me months to get nor will I spend a dime on the game.
    To me, it's a lose-lose.
    Cryptic, we need more win-win in this game. I swear, Free to Play games are the most expensive games (in time or money and we know time is money) you will ever play.
  • Options
    kjwashingtonkjwashington Member Posts: 2,529 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I'm still confused about how the Xindi are giving away their ships cross-faction, even though they're a member of the Federation... :confused:
    FaW%20meme_zpsbkzfjonz.jpg
    Support 90 degree arc limitation on BFaW! Save our ships from looking like flying disco balls of dumb!
  • Options
    lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,827 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    Cryptic puts out 4 Lockbox promotions a year: Hirogen was Jan to April, Undine was April to July, Xindi is July to (most likely) October, at which time we will get another for a total of 4.

If 4 a year is too much for you to keep track of, well, there is not much I can say to that. Maybe you need to try another game. :)

As far as not having enough resources for each one, you are not supposed to have enough. No one is supposed to get every Lockbox ship. You are supposed to go for the ones you like and ignore the rest. Heck, when Ford puts out 6 new cars each year do you buy all 6 or only the one you like? :)

If Cryptic wants to put out 4 Loxbox promotions each year and I am not forced to buy into them if I do not wish to I do not see how that is a problem? It is good for Cryptic and I am free to get or ignore whatever I want. Free will, baby. :)

Yeah but what if I like things from different lockboxes?

Some of these traits from the newer lockboxes are great...but they're pretty much as rare as the ship themselves. :(

Things are just to expensive these days unless you have time to live on STO and farm, they nerfed EC gain...basically the only worth while way to make EC anymore will to be to sell keys...
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    lianthelia wrote: »
    Yeah but what if I like things from different lockboxes?

Some of these traits from the newer lockboxes are great...but they're pretty much as rare as the ship themselves. :(

Things are just to expensive these days unless you have time to live on STO and farm, they nerfed EC gain...basically the only worth while way to make EC anymore will to be to sell keys...

Step 1: Add a new currency
    Step 2: Nerf the rest
    Step 3: ???
    Step 4: Profit!
    Step 5: Repeat.
  • Options
    farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I only kept what I can get. Mostly the Dominion and Hirogen. For later when the time comes, I can open them.

They are a good money maker for the game. Being F2P they have to make $ to keep the game going somehow. And this is one method that is working. Even buying the ships and gear from the Exchange that comes from the boxes do help. As at one point, someone spent $ to buy the zen.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • Options
    chiyoumikuchiyoumiku Member Posts: 1,028 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I'm not. Smeg, I really don't mind if they do the lockbox thing, because I will not develop a gambling addiction on the keys. So it's a non issue to me.
    Sekhmet_Banner.jpg
    Defending The Galaxy By Breaking One Starfleet Regulation After The Next.