test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Tribble Maintenance and Release Notes - July 14, 2014

Comments

• deniedexistencedeniedexistence Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Thursday, as it's when the Undine boxes end.

False, Cryptic does not do major releases on Thursday's, they do them on Tuesday's.

So, now with the key sale on running until Monday, further evidence leads to the new [REDACTED] box + season 9.5 going live on Tuesday the 22nd
  • denizenvidenizenvi Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I hope the new Doff UI ends up having assignment completion text by launch. This text is very important for some assignments, especially the local Dyson Sphere assignments that give hints at lore when you succeed or crit.
    Take a look at my Foundry missions!

Conjoined
    , Re-emergence, and . . .

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    druhin wrote: »
    The Immersion train left STO a looong time ago. Certainly before F2P.
    I come from MMOs which has far, far less immersion than modern STO. It's pretty damned good to me. *shrug*

Honestly, the Tovan Khev thing is my only big gripe about STO.
  • gofasternowgofasternow Member Posts: 1,390 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    False, Cryptic does not do major releases on Thursday's, they do them on Tuesday's.

So, now with the key sale on running until Monday, further evidence leads to the new [REDACTED] box + season 9.5 going live on Tuesday the 22nd

Season 9.5 is not going to be major as it doesn't have anything tying to it. It's gonna drop Thursday.
  • jheinigjheinig Member Posts: 364 Cryptic Developer
    edited July 2014
    icegavel wrote: »
    Then we should get as much EC for a Beam as a Deflector by that logic. But we don't. We get a lot less. Now, the big issue with what you said, Heinig: What does it matter if it's not EC? He's still saying that the cost of a weapon should be 1/6 the cost of a Deflector. Whether that cost be Di or EC is irrelevant. We don't need to buy 6 Deflectors to fully gear a ship.

A quick look at a vendor on Tribble will show you that the EC value for a Mk 9 weapon is the same as the price of a Mk 9 shield, engine, or deflector (13,577 EC, in this case).

Would you like a screenshot?
  • icegavelicegavel Member Posts: 991 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    jheinig wrote: »
    A quick look at a vendor on Tribble will show you that the EC value for a Mk 9 weapon is the same as the price of a Mk 9 shield, engine, or deflector (13,577 EC, in this case).

Would you like a screenshot?

So you grossly devalued everything else in the game to have an excuse to over-price the one item players want most? I remember getting 30k for those same shields in a replicator.

Who taught you economics? Because that is a horrible policy.
  • frtoasterfrtoaster Member Posts: 3,352 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    This was an early part of the game's design -- you'd sometimes spend energy credits for gear, so we tried to make sure you got enough money and enough gear over your play time that you could have your ship fully equipped and ready to go. Under our current model, though, most people don't buy gear with EC; you use EC primarily for projects (rep and fleet) and the exchange. Thus, there was no reason to segregate gear pricing on a "per slot" basis. Now, when you get a common item drop, if you're going to cash it out for EC, it shouldn't matter too much if it's a beam array or a deflector dish.

Does this mean that you intend to change only EC prices, but not dilithium prices? What about fleet credit prices? I recall seeing some differences in the fleet stores, but I'd have to check again to be sure.

Adjudicatorhawk said that you changed some "core price variables". How thoroughly were the final prices tested? Did you check the EC vendors, dilithium store, reputation stores, and fleet stores?

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=17566381&postcount=79
    We adjusted some core price variables in this build. It's possible that you'll see unintended cascading changes. I didn't do the economy stuff, so I can't say for sure, but this sounds very much like a bug to me.
    Waiting for a programmer ...
    qVpg1km.png
  • jheinigjheinig Member Posts: 364 Cryptic Developer
    edited July 2014
    frtoaster wrote: »
    Does this mean that you intend to change only EC prices, but not dilithium prices? What about fleet credit prices? I recall seeing some differences in the fleet stores, but I'd have to check again to be sure.

Adjudicatorhawk said that you changed some "core price variables". How thoroughly were the final prices tested? Did you check the EC vendors, dilithium store, reputation stores, and fleet stores?

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=17566381&postcount=79

There was a bug in some of the rep stores that linked the dilithium prices to changes in EC prices, instead of having their own set of variables. We tracked those down and forced them into compliance.
  • breadandcircusesbreadandcircuses Member Posts: 2,355 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    There was a bug in some of the rep stores that linked the dilithium prices to changes in EC prices, instead of having their own set of variables. We tracked those down and forced them into compliance.

So this means that the dilithium and Mark prices of items in the Fleet and Rep Stores will remain unchanged?
    Ym9x9Ji.png
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    I do not like Geko ether.
    iconians wrote: »
    With each passing day I wonder if I stepped into an alternate reality. The Cubs win the world series. Donald Trump is President. Britain leaves the EU. STO gets a dedicated PvP season. Engineers are "out of control" in STO.​​
  • ethoirethoir Member Posts: 122 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I feel a lot of uncertainty in these updates. I'll have to check out in Tribble myself. It seems decking out a ship with 6 to 8 beam arrays is going to cost a good chunk of dilithium and you aren't guaranteed to get a purple (but the odds of it are better than before). And if you don't like what you get you try again and spend more dilithium. Casual players will take ages to do this and as I understand it there was mention of trying to boost dilithium ore income elsewhere in the game. Correct?

Yet it still looks like you cannot decide what mods you want in a piece of equipment. Let us know when we can pick at least 1 of the 3 mods on our own when "rolling the dice" for a purple item. Would like to be able to pick all three though and have those choices affect the materials required.
  • zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    ethoir wrote: »
    I feel a lot of uncertainty in these updates. I'll have to check out in Tribble myself. It seems decking out a ship with 6 to 8 beam arrays is going to cost a good chunk of dilithium and you aren't guaranteed to get a purple (but the odds of it are better than before). And if you don't like what you get you try again and spend more dilithium. Casual players will take ages to do this and as I understand it there was mention of trying to boost dilithium ore income elsewhere in the game. Correct?

Yet it still looks like you cannot decide what mods you want in a piece of equipment. Let us know when we can pick at least 1 of the 3 mods on our own when "rolling the dice" for a purple item. Would like to be able to pick all three though and have those choices affect the materials required.

Pretty much how it all plays out is the crafting system is just a sink for resources where as if you just setup for dilithium acquiring/dump into to convert to fleet credits you can get gear that might be like 1% from what crafting will give. That is how this platform works they gauge the average player will play maybe 2-3 months so what they do is either nerf a little here, drop in a new item at the stats it was before the nerf. Or they just put something in thats just marginally better to climb up the stat ladder.

So even if you don't do anything with crafting and either get your gear from drops, lockboxes, or starbase holdings you will be geared just as good as anyone else. Personally I've been at the point where I have too much gear lol so for this marginal chance TRIBBLE its not worth dumping resources in imo.
  • miroexinmiroexin Member Posts: 43 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Hello,

I have to say that I am surprised with the changes done.

I would much more love it that they raised the dil cost for crafting end gear but reduced the chance or if you want special mods than it should be at least account bound on pickup but as I heard yesterday good negotiation is when both sides feel ripped off or something similar :).

I like the look of the new UI for DOFF and R&D. I have to agree with others that it would be great that we could filter our DOFFs during planning, but maybe it’s coming. It is nice that we can slide to see what we need but it would be great if you could make the border of requirements RED if we do not have something needed for that assignment. The new UI screams smartphone :) and I would love the possibility asap too doff when I am not in game.

Love the 20h XP assignments in R&D so we can lvl up without “vendor trash” :).

In short:
    - Could you make the border of requirements red if we do not have something needed for that assignment.

TY
    After 21 crafting assignments and burning 1575 dil to bypass 2h building time to build MK II dual cannon I got:
    0, yes zero very rare AP MK II dual canons
    p.s. I will execute my rare Jam’hadar who is serving under me for 1,5 years for incompetence it’s just a MK II dual canon, he is Energy Weapons Officer not a Doctor.
  • sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Pretty much how it all plays out is the crafting system is just a sink for resources where as if you just setup for dilithium acquiring/dump into to convert to fleet credits you can get gear that might be like 1% from what crafting will give. That is how this platform works they gauge the average player will play maybe 2-3 months so what they do is either nerf a little here, drop in a new item at the stats it was before the nerf. Or they just put something in thats just marginally better to climb up the stat ladder.

So even if you don't do anything with crafting and either get your gear from drops, lockboxes, or starbase holdings you will be geared just as good as anyone else. Personally I've been at the point where I have too much gear lol so for this marginal chance TRIBBLE its not worth dumping resources in imo.

This.

Not bothering with crafting at all. Why should I when I have full access to Rep and Elite Fleet level gear.
    They also hid the VR materials behind the tired old content that I already did multiple (1000+) times.... :mad:

It is great if you are a new player who doesn't know any better, but then that is their entire business model 101. :rolleyes:
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• lyriciaonlinelyriciaonline Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    We tracked those down and forced them into compliance.

That's what I do with my doffs. :)

On a more serious note. I'm glad to see the increased quality rates on the crafting projects.

The research project and critical XP bonus are both welcome additions as well. The R&D system still has a high XP curve IMO but these changes will help with that somewhat. I think it would be nice if fleet projects also had something like this. In other words an optional project for smaller fleets that took fewer resources but at the cost of taking much longer to complete.

It was also nice to see that the new research projects didn't require magnesite (other than the one in engineering for some reason). The crafting system seems to lean really heavily on magnesite.

I do look forward to the system though.
  • ceekayzeroceekayzero Member Posts: 411 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Are we supposed to have the option to buying our way to max out a crafting school on day 1, if we're willing to pay 3.75 million dilithium or so (per school)?
  • chaosgod777chaosgod777 Member Posts: 237 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    ceekayzero wrote: »
    Are we supposed to have the option to buying our way to max out a crafting school on day 1, if we're willing to pay 3.75 million dilithium or so (per school)?

If someone wants to spend that much dilithium or just has it to burn I suppose you could, not that I could understand why you would want to. The rep and fleet gear is so much better thin anything in this new system.

On a plus note I am very happy to see a daily project added (unless I misread that). Its come a long way from the roulette table it was before, now it down to about a slot machine.

I still dont like that you cant add modifiers the way you want, but I will wait till the system is finished before I make anymore judgements about it. I honestly think people will do the system, try to sell the wares and they are going to discover its only the expensive special ones that sell, and thats IF they dont have a friend or a fleetmate make it for them first.
  • architect13architect13 Member Posts: 1,076 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    orangeitis wrote: »
    Kinda takes a teensy bit of the immersion away. But meh.

Hee, hee . . . Immersion . . . TRex . . .
    Have you tried the new forum on your phone?
  • ceekayzeroceekayzero Member Posts: 411 Arc User
    edited July 2014

I still dont like that you cant add modifiers the way you want, but I will wait till the system is finished before I make anymore judgements about it. I honestly think people will do the system, try to sell the wares and they are going to discover its only the expensive special ones that sell, and thats IF they dont have a friend or a fleetmate make it for them first.

For what it's worth, I think that it might be worth it to hit Level 15 on day 1 (only 1.2 million dilithium!) by auto-completing the daily project. You could make a fair amount of money selling the special equipment afterwards.
  • architect13architect13 Member Posts: 1,076 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I was wishing for colonization bridge invites, but No. Hurry up and get your free doffs before Cryptic slows us down in Season 9.5
    Have you tried the new forum on your phone?
  • finsches123finsches123 Member Posts: 155 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Reposting from last thread:

9 different components use the same materials (magnesite and hydrazine gas). We will use an unproportional amount of those.
    Other materials are used only for a single type of component (trionium gas and duranium) or not at all (tritanium and verteron particles).

No one gives a khest anyway.
  • adjudicatorhawkadjudicatorhawk Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Reposting from last thread:

9 different components use the same materials (magnesite and hydrazine gas). We will use an unproportional amount of those.
    Other materials are used only for a single type of component (trionium gas and duranium) or not at all (tritanium and verteron particles).

No one gives a khest anyway.

These have been fixed.
    Jeff "Adjudicator Hawk" Hamilton
    Systems Designer - Cryptic Studios
    Twitter: @JeffAHamilton
  • tpalelenatpalelena Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Could we please take a look at the 10+ , and especially the 15+ level requirements?

Those are still very very nasty, especially the 15+ ones.

Otherwise this is shaping up better than expected.
    Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
  • dragonsbrethrendragonsbrethren Member Posts: 1,854 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    tpalelena wrote: »
    Otherwise this is shaping up better than expected.

It really is, I'm looking forward to this going live now. The DOFF UI is the only sour note to me.
  • cletusdeadmancletusdeadman Member Posts: 248 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I can't figure if this system is set up so that one character can craft everything needed for an account or if this like the old system and we need one crafter per faction.

Please help!
  • arrmateysarrmateys Member Posts: 464 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    i wonder if the finish now button is a precedent for the future, where everything will have one.

reputation projects, fleet projects, doff missions, everything with a time gate will have a big shiny [finish now] button placed somewhere where you'll have the biggest chance to click it by accident, that'll take 20k dilithium away from you for finishing it.

which i predict will then cause lots of forum rage, when people will accidentally click it and waste all their dilithium, because they system doesn't ask you if you really want to spend that much dil on speeding something up.
    Now clowns, that's another story. They scare the cr​ap out of me.
    We fight them too. Entire armies spilling out of Volkswagens.
    We do our best to fight them off, but they keep sending them in.
  • dragonsbrethrendragonsbrethren Member Posts: 1,854 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I can't figure if this system is set up so that one character can craft everything needed for an account or if this like the old system and we need one crafter per faction.

Please help!

There's nothing like the old faction-specific energy type restriction anymore, and items are all bind on equip. It still seems smartest to do it across multiple characters, having each work on different schools at the same time, to me.
  • raptor63549raptor63549 Member Posts: 642 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    How is the drop rate on crafting mods vs the regular mods balanced.

After crafting dozens of deflectors, engines and shields, I have not seen a single new mods. You said the crafting only mods can show up on any make but I tried MK II through VI (can't go higher, don't have the mats), and get nothing new.

I have seen the new mods plenty on weapons though.

I would actually prefer if mods were slightly skewed toward the assigning a crafting mod since we get plenty of the other mods through drops or even advanced fleet deflectors.
  • sistericsisteric Member Posts: 768 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I love the new 20 Hour DOff missions. It will let me actually level the crafting system in a reasonable time frame. At least at with the playtime that I have. My only issue with tribble now is that I would rather have the mission listed first, then the components, then the devices and then finally the unique items. Or give us the ability to place them in what order we want individually.
    Federation: Fleet Admiral Zombee (Alien Tactical)::Fleet Admiral Danic (Vulcan Science)::Fleet Admiral Daniel Kochheiser (Human Engineer)
    KDF: Dahar Master Kan (Borg Klingon Tactical)::Dahar Master Torc (Alien Science)::Dahar Master Sisteric (Gorn Engineer)
    RR-Fed: Citizen Sirroc (Romulan Science)::Fleet Admiral Grell (Alien Engineer)
    RR-KDF: Fleet Admiral Zemo (Reman Tactical)::Fleet Admiral Xinatek (Reman Science)::Fleet Admiral Bel (Alien Engineer)
    TOS-Fed: Fleet Admiral Katem (Andorian Tactical)::Lieutenant Commander Straad (Vulcan Engineer)
    Dom-Fed: Dan'Tar (Jem'Hadar Science)
    Dom-KDF: Kamtana'Solan (Jem'Hadar Science)

CoHost of Tribbles in Ecstasy (Zombee)
  • thomasp94232thomasp94232 Member Posts: 129 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Why no changes to the awful new DOFF UI? I really hope that 9.5 doesn't launch with the doff system looking like this, IT IS HORRIBLE.

DEVS LOOK HERE ---> http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1147711

I've been here since beta
  • kazabokkazabok Member Posts: 230 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    The 20 hour projects are an excellent addition, I won't have to waste tons of mats making vendor trash items while I level now. I can just level up cheaply over time, using the daily and then start making items at the level I need them.

Good stuff, cheers.