test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Which Sci ship?

eldest13eldest13 Member Posts: 37 Arc User
edited July 2014 in Romulan Discussion
My Sci Rommie has been level 50 for a while now and has been flying both the Scimitar 3 set and the Dyson Science Destroyer. My Tac Rommie has taken the place of amazing DPS in the Scimitar. So now what ship and what build shoukd I go for. Just so you know, I'm Tier 3 Dyson, Tier 4 Omega, 2 Nukara and 2 Undine. Haven't realy been working on him that much but you know, time.

Thanks if you reply this is my first Sci toon and I need help.
Post edited by eldest13 on

Comments

• woodwhitywoodwhity Member Posts: 2,636 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Get the lobi or EC (EC is easier) to buy a recluse and use that.
    Build: http://www.stoacademy.com/tools/skillplanner/?build=dpsrecluse_4677

Its high dps while good tanking and healing. Overall, the recluse is one of the best -if not the best- overall ship, featuring all 3 "roles" at the same time.
  • norobladnoroblad Member Posts: 2,624 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    You have 2 choices from rom stock ships.. the DSD and haanom. The DSD is generally better all around of those 2. If you are on a very low budget, the mirror haanom can be had for a few EC, but your DSD is still better even if its the free one. If you do buy a DSD, IMHO the tac console one is the way to go.

While the dsd is quite good, as said several non-rom ships are better still if you don't need to cloak. I use the recluse, but its one of several that could be used. The TS battle cruiser could do just as well as a tough sci ship that can flip to other roles, and a couple of the other box/lobi ships are pure sci but unable to flip to a dps role. Since you have a scim, you don't NEED a sci ship that can become a dps ship as much, but its handy.

The recluse will cost you all 4 arms and legs by the time you buy both the ship AND the pets for it. But once you have all that... its pretty strong; it only really has 2 weakness -- the usual carrier turn rate, which is a minor annoyance, and it lacks tac consoles, it probably should have had 3, so its not going to replace the scimitar for blowing things apart. Still, it can do very good damage, just not *that* level of damage. The TSBC, with 8 guns and 3 tac consoles out-guns it at the cost of being more difficult to configure (its officer layout is a little challenging).
  • woodwhitywoodwhity Member Posts: 2,636 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    noroblad wrote: »

The recluse will cost you all 4 arms and legs by the time you buy both the ship AND the pets for it. But once you have all that... its pretty strong; it only really has 2 weakness -- the usual carrier turn rate, which is a minor annoyance, and it lacks tac consoles, it probably should have had 3, so its not going to replace the scimitar for blowing things apart. Still, it can do very good damage, just not *that* level of damage. The TSBC, with 8 guns and 3 tac consoles out-guns it at the cost of being more difficult to configure (its officer layout is a little challenging).

TSBC is not more powerful as the recluse. Its a nice ship, but do not underestimate the recluse pets. The build i posted does 20k with pugs. bad pug. And up to 28k with a good team. Its pretty much selfsufficient, you have beta-spam with you, your pets are also one of the three best ingame, the console layout seems lacking, but you can make wonderful synergy-builds with it, so it easily overcomes 1 tac console and 2 more weapons from the TSBC, which also cant hose EptW3 in a reasonable build (and has no beta-spam included).
    But your explanation is a good example, how underestimated that ship is. Its the most underestimated ship in this game due to "only 2 tactical consoles", while in reality, it should be mention in the Top10 or even Top5.

As for the scimitar, yes, the difference in higher dps-levels are clear, but with pugs they are more or less equal if flown on same char (and of course same class), due to the recluse unique nature (in that regard I would even say the recluse can top the scimi on a scichar).
  • norobladnoroblad Member Posts: 2,624 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I did not mean to imply the cruiser was better, just offering a couple of choices.

I use the recluse on my sci rom, and its easily one of my top 3 favorite ships. To get that kind of dps, though, you have to seat the tac cmdr, and once you do that, its not functioning as a pure sci ship anymore. I do that most often -- its a great build -- but IF someone wanted to seat the cmdr sci, the cruiser probably does a little better for that config. 8 weapons and 2 weak faw are still possible, whereas the recluse with a cmdr sci has only 1 tac skill at all. So it depends on what is desired, but since the guy asking has a scim, which can seat a ltcmdr sci and run as a gunship already.... those things combine for me to lean toward the most guntastic pure sci ship I could think of, and the TS cruiser came out on top given those thoughts..
  • lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited July 2014
    One word....

Palisade
  • eldest13eldest13 Member Posts: 37 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Thanks to everyone. I have about 1200 lobi saved u o so I'll grabe the Recluse. I'll set it up like you said. Thanks for the information. :D