test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Tribble Maintenance and Release Notes - July 10, 2014

coldsnappedcoldsnapped Member Posts: 520 Cryptic Developer
We will be bringing down the Tribble server for maintenance to apply a new update: ST.42.20140629a.11

General:
  • Research and Development:
    • Resolved an issue where crafted items would auto-slot if a slot was available on the captain or ship.
      • Items should always go to player’s inventory.
    • Crafting icons have been removed from the project selection window.
      • The window has been replaced with text stating “Inputs vary based on project parameters”.
    • “Difficulty Rating” is now “Recommended Skill”.
    • “Crafting Skill” is now “Current Skill”.
    • Numerous missing icons are now in place.
    • Numerous updates have been made to the UI art, sizing, and information.
    • All fleet project inputs have been updated to work with the new Raw Materials used in R&D, removing references to Data Samples and Particle Traces.
      • Any project which previously required Data Samples now requires the same amount of Raw Materials.
        • The fleet credit return for each item input has not changed.
      • Any project which previously required Particle Traces now requires 5x that amount of Raw Materials.
        • The fleet credit return for each item input has been reduced on these projects, to match the return from Raw Materials in other projects.
  • Resolved numerous clipping issues when wearing the new Odyssey uniforms.

Known Issues:
  • The new Crafting system is not in its final state.
    • UI for the Crafting system is still a work in progress.
    • Duty Officer Rewards are not displaying for Completed or assignments in the Log.
  • Kits in your inventory cannot be equipped by double-clicking on them.
    • You can drag and drop slot them.
Post edited by coldsnapped on

Comments

• Options
    frtoasterfrtoaster Member Posts: 3,352 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    All fleet project inputs have been updated to work with the new Raw Materials used in R&D, removing references to Data Samples and Particle Traces.
    • Any project which previously required Data Samples now requires the same amount of Raw Materials.
      • The fleet credit return for each item input has not changed.
    • Any project which previously required Particle Traces now requires 5x that amount of Raw Materials.
      • The fleet credit return for each item input has been reduced on these projects, to match the return from Raw Materials in other projects.

So these fleet projects do not distinguish between raw materials of different quality?
    Waiting for a programmer ...
    qVpg1km.png
  • Options
    kalanikalani Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    frtoaster wrote: »
    So these fleet projects do not distinguish between raw materials of different quality?

From my testing just now it doesn't appear so.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Did I miss something being said about not being able to craft weapons hire than Mk II? Hrmm, anything above Mk II? Wait, no...I can craft Mk X shields on my L20 shields guy; but I can't craft anything else above Mk II with him. Even where he's L5 in projectiles, he can only craft Mk II consoles/mines/torps.

edit: Based on a lack of replies, I'm guessing this isn't something many folks are noticing...meh.
  • Options
    trelane87trelane87 Member Posts: 242 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    The doff UI still looks ridiculous... I made a little side by side comparison:

http://i.imgur.com/PM8JfF7.png

Can anyone say with a straight face that the new UI is an 'improvement'? Not only is it aesthetically unappealing, you can no longer click on an assignment and get a complete rundown of it quickly. You can argue that the new UI shows what you need for the assignment and what you get from it, but to bloat the assignment bars up to the crazy size they are now is not worth it. I can see 8 assignments on the old UI without scrolling, on the new UI I can only see 5. Please scrap this and start over!
  • Options
    cryptkeeper0cryptkeeper0 Member Posts: 989 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    trelane87 wrote: »

Can anyone say with a straight face that the new UI is an 'improvement'? Not only is it aesthetically unappealing, you can no longer click on an assignment and get a complete rundown of it quickly. You can argue that the new UI shows what you need for the assignment and what you get from it, but to bloat the assignment bars up to the crazy size they are now is not worth it. I can see 8 assignments on the old UI without scrolling, on the new UI I can only see 5. Please scrap this and start over!

I actually mostly disagree though I do think they need to scale down parts of it, I would also think we need more material missions with less time or more quantity for a 20 hour project, giving 10x the reward.

I would also keep the separate science, engineering etc doff missions, not open listed by default.
  • Options
    artemisa0kartemisa0k Member Posts: 142 Arc User
    edited July 2014

It wouldn't be so bad if they had a option to decrease the size of icon's and text, even better would be the option to shrink those and add a second display column so you would have 2 projects displayed per row instead of the single and large section of wasted space.
  • Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,113 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I'd want to be able to see the Doff traits and actual Doff required on that screen (IE not just the broad Type like Sci, Tac, Eng), instead of having to click 'plan' to see the required traits. Sorry, but I fail to see the logic in a UI that gives me LESS info then before, and requires MORE clicks to see info that was available in the previous interface without a click.

Again, the KISS (aka "Keep It Simple Stupid) design principle is thrown to the curb by Cryptic with the new interface, and they call that "an improvement?:confused:
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    trelane87trelane87 Member Posts: 242 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    So here's a run through doing an assignment. For this example I set up the "Strike Against Fugitive Support Network":

Old System

1. On the assignment page you have everything laid out for you, and on the left hand side I have a nice big list of all the doffs I can use for this assignment:

http://i.imgur.com/akadmgh.png

2. For an assignment that only asks for doffs of a certain department I like to either use doffs I have excess of or ones of a profession I hardly use, in this case I used 2 Conn Officers and a Shield Distribution Officer:

http://i.imgur.com/brMCZW5.png

It was very easy to scroll down and find the doffs I wanted.

New System

1. The new UI chose the doffs for the assignment automatically:

http://i.imgur.com/EZ95D0F.png

While this is a nice addition these doffs could be better used in other assignments (Security Officers in particular have many assignments that specifically require them).

2. So I want to change them, I click on the select button and get this:

http://i.imgur.com/pBXz8Zo.png

What is this... a center for ants??? Every single that should be small on the UI is MASSIVE, and the one thing that should actually be bigger is tiny! What order is this even in?

3. So after scrolling through this thing 3 times I finally find the doffs I'm looking for:

http://i.imgur.com/hbl2kef.png

And I should note I have a fairly large screen that I play on, so if you have a smaller screen good luck to you :P
  • Options
    doffingcomradedoffingcomrade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    And the option to filter the list by department, rarity, traits, specialty, etc., with the old Filters menus, are still missing. Instead, every single doff is simply listed in a giant jumbled mess without the slightest semblance of order or grouping, making it impossible to find anything.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    torsten1009torsten1009 Member Posts: 454 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    • “Difficulty Rating” is now “Recommended Skill”.
    • “Crafting Skill” is now “Current Skill”.

Is text-changes and a few UI-changes everything this update is about?

"Recommended Skill" and "Current Skill"? Well, don't you forget that you start with a Current Skill of 0 and need to craft components with a Recommended Skill of 50 as the first thing you need to do? That might be a bit disturbing?

Still no secondary deflectors... Could you (anybody from Cryptic) tell us, when we can expect them? Will secondary deflectors be in the Science School of the new R&D-System?

An update would be welcome.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    If Star Trek Online was an Open-Source (GPL) Game, we would have a low-grind fork.
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Still no secondary deflectors... Could you (anybody from Cryptic) tell us, when we can expect them? Will secondary deflectors be in the Science School of the new R&D-System?

Hawk said this yesterday...
    No, they're not in 9.5. We wanted to squeeze them in before 9.5, but schedules didn't permit for it. They're high on our list of Systems features to deliver, and we'll do them as soon as we can.
  • Options
    breadandcircusesbreadandcircuses Member Posts: 2,355 Arc User
    edited July 2014

I'd want to be able to see the Doff traits and actual Doff required on that screen (IE not just the broad Type like Sci, Tac, Eng), instead of having to click 'plan' to see the required traits. Sorry, but I fail to see the logic in a UI that gives me LESS info then before, and requires MORE clicks to see info that was available in the previous interface without a click.

Again, the KISS (aka "Keep It Simple Stupid) design principle is thrown to the curb by Cryptic with the new interface, and they call that "an improvement?:confused:

Personally, I agree that the UI providing less information and requiring more clicking does not qualify as an improvement; however, the UI is more simplistic, so the application of KISS is debatable. It's not more simple to actually use, but the design itself is more visually simplistic, much like the difference between the smartphone you carry around vs. the computer you play STO on. The new UI would be great for Gateway so you can putz about with your doffs on the go, but for use within the full game it's a definite step backward for folks that actually liked doffing.
    Ym9x9Ji.png
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    I do not like Geko ether.
    iconians wrote: »
    With each passing day I wonder if I stepped into an alternate reality. The Cubs win the world series. Donald Trump is President. Britain leaves the EU. STO gets a dedicated PvP season. Engineers are "out of control" in STO.​​
  • Options
    forgottenmythforgottenmyth Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited July 2014

They should redesign it with rows and columns, that way you could probably fit at least 10 on the page. Like the windows explorer layout, make the missions as small as possible while still preserving the details ofc. I think the main worry though, is that many mission names are too long. The titles would have to span multiple lines and it'll be hard to fit the rest in.

*EDIT* Question for the UI team: is it possible for the engine to display the Result/Requirements in the Tooltip? that could open up a TON of room
  • Options
    phantomeightphantomeight Member Posts: 567 Bug Hunter
    edited July 2014
    If the pop up window had filters or perhaps the old list of doffs slid in from the side, I would be happy.

Selecting doffs that are not automatically assigned is just BAD in this design. I really really hope they have something better and just not implemented yet. The rest of the doff system is starting to come together. The last part that was beautifully illustrated with screenshots is the only pain point left for me. If they re-work that... I think it wont be so bad.
  • Options
    frtoasterfrtoaster Member Posts: 3,352 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Here is my feedback on the doff UI after the patch on July 10, 2014.

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=17929301&postcount=173
    Waiting for a programmer ...
    qVpg1km.png
  • Options
    finsches123finsches123 Member Posts: 155 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    There are still 9 components that need the same materials to create:

Barrel Synchronizer
    Focusing Lens
    Industrial Replicator
    Lab Equipment
    Particle Field Generator
    Targeting Interface
    Coolant Injector
    Electromagnetic Coupling
    Emitter Module

All need 3 Magnesite and 2 Hydrazine Gas.

Only the component Subprocessor Unit needs 3 Trionium Gas and 2 Duranium.

There are four more green quality components:

EPS Conduit
    EPS Regulator
    I.F.F. Beacon
    Plasma Capacitor

All need 3 Hexafluorine Gas and 2 Thoron Particles.
    This means that both Tritanium and Verteron Particle are not used in any project I can see.

Blue and purple quality components have way more varied material needs, presumably whites and greens should work like that, too.
    Devs, please take another look at this!
  • Options
    tarastheslayertarastheslayer Member Posts: 1,541 Bug Hunter
    edited July 2014
    I agree the doff UI needs to be better proportioned, it's far too large and clunky at the moment and you really ought to be able to fit 5-6 assignments on the screen at once, or at least give us the option to switch between modes so we can choose the layout for ourselves.
    Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head. - Euripides
    I no longer do any Bug Hunting work for Cryptic. I may resume if a serious attempt to fix the game is made.
  • Options
    chrisolliecchrisolliec Member Posts: 256 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Did anyone notice that, if you get a critical while crafting components, you get three components but only one skill point? This feels quite a bit wrong, in my opinion. Especially when compared to the "normal" doff missions.

The crafting system feels quite inefficient.

Even with the "critical" chance, I'd still like to have the possibility to craft more than one component at a time. You have to spend lots of time to craft components (with almost no rewards, XP-wise), before you even have the chance to craft one item... I'd prefer to have my Duty officers work for an hour to create large batches of components instead of doing that all by myself. I could go and collect more materials, in that time. That would be somewhat more efficient.

Besides, there still seems to be something broken in the Duty Officer system:
    http://imgur.com/O6pvoz9

PS: Don't reduce the size of the UI any more. I'm glad I can finally see the amount of rewards/needed parts. Was always a lot of guessing for me with the old UI. To those why may cry out because of this: You are able to change the size of the window, as you can see in that pic above. If you don't want to do that, deal with it.
    "I came from a time long gone, saw many other times...
    But I'm still a mere human."
    Vice Admiral Chris Curtiss, Temporal Ambassador
  • Options
    bobsisko47bobsisko47 Member Posts: 67 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I agree the doff UI needs to be better proportioned, it's far too large and clunky at the moment and you really ought to be able to fit 5-6 assignments on the screen at once, or at least give us the option to switch between modes so we can choose the layout for ourselves.

I totally agree, and also with the other comments made about the new Doff UI. For me it's too clunky and rather unintuitive. One perfect example is the rewards screen, it not only shows you your rewards very prominently (which is fine), but rather indistinguishable shows the assignments requirements aswell, which is absolutly not necessary. Also, compared to the size of the rewards the simple outcome ("success" "critical success" ...) is rather small and therefore not easy to see. You can see what I mean on chrisolliec's screen directly above my post.
  • Options
    toivatoiva Member Posts: 3,276 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Happy to see more Doff feedback in patchnotes for once.

It's all basically been said, I'll just stress the importance of decreasing the assignement tile sizes.

On the screenshots presented, people have a much larger Doff window open than a 1366x768 screen permits. I'm kinda forced to the smallest Doff UI possible and there i only see 3 and a half assignements without scrolling. And the jumbled mess of doffs that opens in a new window when I want to choose one for an assignement is another loss of screen space. Quite a significant one.

Then you've got here feedback that's been pretty consistent from day 1: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1147711

And I haven't noticed any changes to the Doff UI since last patch, so I presume the 'numerous updates' all went to crafting instead.
    TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
    Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.
    Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var, Tevra, T'Vira, To'Vrak: Give us Asylums for Romulans.

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
  • Options
    beldacarbeldacar Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    So here's a run through doing an assignment. For this example I set up the "Strike Against Fugitive Support Network":

Old System

1. On the assignment page you have everything laid out for you, and on the left hand side I have a nice big list of all the doffs I can use for this assignment:

http://i.imgur.com/akadmgh.png

2. For an assignment that only asks for doffs of a certain department I like to either use doffs I have excess of or ones of a profession I hardly use, in this case I used 2 Conn Officers and a Shield Distribution Officer:

http://i.imgur.com/brMCZW5.png

It was very easy to scroll down and find the doffs I wanted.

New System

1. The new UI chose the doffs for the assignment automatically:

http://i.imgur.com/EZ95D0F.png

While this is a nice addition these doffs could be better used in other assignments (Security Officers in particular have many assignments that specifically require them).

2. So I want to change them, I click on the select button and get this:

http://i.imgur.com/pBXz8Zo.png

What is this... a center for ants??? Every single that should be small on the UI is MASSIVE, and the one thing that should actually be bigger is tiny! What order is this even in?

3. So after scrolling through this thing 3 times I finally find the doffs I'm looking for:

http://i.imgur.com/hbl2kef.png

And I should note I have a fairly large screen that I play on, so if you have a smaller screen good luck to you :P

Yes. This is the problem with the new UI.

A. The UI automatically slots the "recommended" doffs, who are almost always the wrong ones for the assignment (optimized for success rather than optimized for critical success).

B. Replacing the "recommended" doffs with the ones you actually want to use is incredibly painful due to the awful popup windows. Given that Cryptic still hasn't fixed the popup windows that were added with the loadout system, I do not have great hope that they will ever fix these, either.

Not to sound melodramatic, but if this system goes live with the popup windows in their current state, it will kill doffing for me. And since doffing is one of the few things about the game that makes me feel like a ship captain rather than a fighter pilot or special forces operative, if this system goes live with the popup windows in their current state, it will kill the game for me.
  • Options
    ziktofelziktofel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Now with the auto-select doffs imagine that you're at support somecluste colonization efforts. The AI always optimizes for success but player wants there max critical chance (to obtain purple doff).

Another location is starbase with reports trading CXP to fleet marks where player wants optimize for critical too (and AI pick is especially bad when assignment can have only critical/success, ie there's no fail)
  • Options
    beldacarbeldacar Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Did anyone notice that, if you get a critical while crafting components, you get three components but only one skill point? This feels quite a bit wrong, in my opinion. Especially when compared to the "normal" doff missions.

The crafting system feels quite inefficient.

Even with the "critical" chance, I'd still like to have the possibility to craft more than one component at a time. You have to spend lots of time to craft components (with almost no rewards, XP-wise), before you even have the chance to craft one item... I'd prefer to have my Duty officers work for an hour to create large batches of components instead of doing that all by myself. I could go and collect more materials, in that time. That would be somewhat more efficient.

Besides, there still seems to be something broken in the Duty Officer system:
    http://imgur.com/O6pvoz9

PS: Don't reduce the size of the UI any more. I'm glad I can finally see the amount of rewards/needed parts. Was always a lot of guessing for me with the old UI. To those why may cry out because of this: You are able to change the size of the window, as you can see in that pic above. If you don't want to do that, deal with it.

Not sure why you needed any "guesswork" with the old system, since all the information you needed about an assignment would appear in the right-hand pane. By trying to fit more information in the assignment description, they're actually including less information overall.

But if this system goes live in anything resembling its current state, I will "deal with it" ... by cancelling my subscription. Cryptic had better hope that there aren't a lot of people like me, I guess....
  • Options
    tk79tk79 Member Posts: 1,020 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Seeing those comparison screens I already miss the old DOFF interface greatly.

It may sound like a minor thing but... the pie. The pie! It was the perfect chart for this. Why was it changed?! Bar charts are not adequate for this because they don't tell at quick glance that the numbers are part of a percentage.

At this point, it's just wishful thinking, knowing Cryptic, but I wish the old interface could be just tweaked around and not completely overhauled into something less practical.
    U.S.S. Eastgate Photo Wall
    STO Screenshot Archive

• Options
    cookiecrookcookiecrook Member Posts: 4,524 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    tk79 wrote: »
    Seeing those comparison screens I already miss the old DOFF interface greatly.

It may sound like a minor thing but... the pie. The pie! It was the perfect chart for this. Why was it changed?! Bar charts are not adequate for this because they don't tell at quick glance that the numbers are part of a percentage.

At this point, it's just wishful thinking, knowing Cryptic, but I wish the old interface could be just tweaked around and not completely overhauled into something less practical.

Well said! :)
    <
    > <
    > <
    >
    Looking for a new fleet? Drop by the in-game chat channel, "tenforwardforum", and say hi to the members of A Fleet Called Ten Forward (Fed) and The Orion Pirates (KDF). If you already have a fleet you are happy with, please feel free to drop by our chat channel if you are looking for a friendly bunch of helpful people to socialize with.
  • Options
    architect13architect13 Member Posts: 1,076 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    The patch notes seem to missing references to buffing the Cell ship (since so much was taken from it) and reinstating the social bridge invites for colonization doffing. Surely this will not go live with these glaring oversights.
    Have you tried the new forum on your phone?
  • Options
    jarodroto123jarodroto123 Member Posts: 1,337 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Did I miss something being said about not being able to craft weapons hire than Mk II? Hrmm, anything above Mk II? Wait, no...I can craft Mk X shields on my L20 shields guy; but I can't craft anything else above Mk II with him. Even where he's L5 in projectiles, he can only craft Mk II consoles/mines/torps.

edit: Based on a lack of replies, I'm guessing this isn't something many folks are noticing...meh.

I can definitely craft mk iv weapons at level 0, so its not something ive noticed.
  • Options
    arrmateysarrmateys Member Posts: 464 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    it's probably related to the bug that doesn't tell you if you miss required components when you have at least 1 of those.

they appear as you have all you need, so you think you have enough and are puzzled as to why you can't start the project.
    Now clowns, that's another story. They scare the cr​ap out of me.
    We fight them too. Entire armies spilling out of Volkswagens.
    We do our best to fight them off, but they keep sending them in.
  • Options
    exa12exa12 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    That doff interface... :confused:

Change for the sake of change is a genuinely stupid concept

The current interface on live works well, I'd even say its possibly the best organised section in the UI

for spoiler text use #1b1c1f
  • Options
    jarodroto123jarodroto123 Member Posts: 1,337 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    arrmateys wrote: »
    it's probably related to the bug that doesn't tell you if you miss required components when you have at least 1 of those.

they appear as you have all you need, so you think you have enough and are puzzled as to why you can't start the project.

Actually, if you dont have enough, that component is colored red