Install Arc
Options

Official New Crafting System "Research and Development" Feedback Thread

Comments

• Options
    mattachinemattachine Member Posts: 504 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    walshicus wrote: »
    Or you can just buy the items you want from the Exchange for Energy Credits, since everything is Bind of Equip?

If anything I'm seeing Eve's system as being *more* restrictive since you need to put time into a crafting skill to even build things?

I would rather have a crafting system with level restrictions based on time it takes to craft an item then have it spew out worthless TRIBBLE until I max out the skill. I rather have a Mk XII Very Rare item that takes a month to craft for a beginner and and hour for an expert then have to make stuff I'm never going to use for 5 months worth of playing 24 hours a day.

Especially since I've already maxed out the crafting skills in the current system.
  • Options
    owazowaz Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    It would be great if there was a way to dismantle items to recover mats, components and possibly a small amount of dilithium.

It would provide another way of getting material for crafting and give you something to do with ship/ground parts other than just selling them.
  • Options
    glassguitarglassguitar Member Posts: 426 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    owaz wrote: »
    It would be great if there was a way to dismantle items to recover mats, components and possibly a small amount of dilithium.

It would provide another way of getting material for crafting and give you something to do with ship/ground parts other than just selling them.

This please. Please this. Please oh please oh please. Seriously though, ability to decompose items we have outgrown would be a serious step in the right direction for this system. I have entire banks full of Very Rare MK XI character bound items that I hate to vendor trash because they cost so much to obtain. Even if the materials gained from decomposed items were not trade-able it wold still be nice!
  • Options
    razorwalkerrazorwalker Member Posts: 160 Media Corps
    edited July 2014
    OK, I've not yet seen this mentioned, but from my understanding, Very Rare mats can only be gotten from 2 places: Elite PVE Queues and the C-Store Crafting Box. So, it makes them harder to come by, especially for people who do not spend Zen and for those that don't like the queues. So, WHY are the Fleet Holding Upgrade Projects requiring them? I think this is a mistake. Make them Rare at the worst. Please do not make us use these more difficult to obtain mats in Fleet Upgrades. Rare's are easier to come by and if people have stockpiles of the particle traces, at least converting them will give them rares. Which, brings me to my next point and I know that this has been commented on, but for the love of God, why would you make Rare Particle Traces give anything other than Rare in return? I convert a stack of 100 Rare's and if I am lucky, I MAYBE get 20 Rare mats in return. The rest are Common or Uncommon. Please, make Rare's convert into Rare's only. You already do this for Common and Uncommons.
  • Options
    walshicuswalshicus Member Posts: 1,314 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    OK, I've not yet seen this mentioned, but from my understanding, Very Rare mats can only be gotten from 2 places: Elite PVE Queues and the C-Store Crafting Box.

And the Exchange.

I don't think it's unreasonable to ask people to play the game to get materials to advance in the game. Don't like the queues? Either pay with Zen, buy from other players with Energy Credits or accept you won't be able to progress.
    http://mmo-economics.com - analysing the economic interactions in MMOs.
  • Options
    tpalelenatpalelena Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I would prefer if the elite que rewards gave randomised very rares..... NOT always the same ones.
    Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
  • Options
    razorwalkerrazorwalker Member Posts: 160 Media Corps
    edited July 2014
    walshicus wrote: »
    And the Exchange.

I don't think it's unreasonable to ask people to play the game to get materials to advance in the game. Don't like the queues? Either pay with Zen, buy from other players with Energy Credits or accept you won't be able to progress.

I think you missed the whole point of my message. I do not have an issue with either Zen OR the Queues. What I was saying is that those items are more difficult to obtain than Rare mats. Do not make Fleet Holdings Upgrades require the Very Rare Mats. And yes, you can get them off the Exchange, but they first must come from the Elite Queues and/or C-store, which will make them extremely expensive. Especially for the casual players.
  • Options
    azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    owaz wrote: »

I agree. It would feel a bit more like crafting. And Cryptic isn't losing out since we are destroying something instead of selling it.

OK, I've not yet seen this mentioned, but from my understanding, Very Rare mats can only be gotten from 2 places: Elite PVE Queues and the C-Store Crafting Box. So, it makes them harder to come by, especially for people who do not spend Zen and for those that don't like the queues. So, WHY are the Fleet Holding Upgrade Projects requiring them? I think this is a mistake. Make them Rare at the worst. Please do not make us use these more difficult to obtain mats in Fleet Upgrades. Rare's are easier to come by and if people have stockpiles of the particle traces, at least converting them will give them rares. Which, brings me to my next point and I know that this has been commented on, but for the love of God, why would you make Rare Particle Traces give anything other than Rare in return? I convert a stack of 100 Rare's and if I am lucky, I MAYBE get 20 Rare mats in return. The rest are Common or Uncommon. Please, make Rare's convert into Rare's only. You already do this for Common and Uncommons.

Indeed it is unwise of them to ask for crafting materials for Fleet projects. Especially if they are very rare.
  • Options
    adjudicatorhawkadjudicatorhawk Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    <QR> While earlier I had mentioned potentially increasing the time of all item creations to allow players to more easily get close to 100% of offline time as progression time in the system, we've instead decided to create "Research Projects". These projects will allow you to send a duty officer to do research for 20 hours at a time for a small amount of materials, making it more reasonable to progress in the system without logging in for multiple playsessions per day.

There are still more changes to outcome math and component pricing coming, but the component prices are dependent on the outcome math being final. We're also reviewing the XP curves, but no promises on immediate changes there, as we would rather bring them down over time than overreact now and have to bring them up later.
    Jeff "Adjudicator Hawk" Hamilton
    Systems Designer - Cryptic Studios
    Twitter: @JeffAHamilton
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    <QR> While earlier I had mentioned potentially increasing the time of all item creations to allow players to more easily get close to 100% of offline time as progression time in the system, we've instead decided to create "Research Projects". These projects will allow you to send a duty officer to do research for 20 hours at a time for a small amount of materials, making it more reasonable to progress in the system without logging in for multiple playsessions per day.

There are still more changes to outcome math and component pricing coming, but the component prices are dependent on the outcome math being final. We're also reviewing the XP curves, but no promises on immediate changes there, as we would rather bring them down over time than overreact now and have to bring them up later.

That reads as being longer than the 17th...
  • Options
    generalmocogeneralmoco Member Posts: 1,634
    edited July 2014

So basically you're making the R&D system have a functionality like the Reputation System, in the sense of having a faster progression for people whom do not play as often as others, and aswell as those of us who spent countless hours in game? Seems logical enough for me! But will this "Research Projects" have a "Finish Now" option like the rest of the R&D system?
  • Options
    frtoasterfrtoaster Member Posts: 3,352 Arc User
    edited July 2014

Is anyone reviewing the rescaled EC and dilithium prices? There were some concerns about that earlier.

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=17566341&postcount=420
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=17645011&postcount=6
    Waiting for a programmer ...
    qVpg1km.png
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    frtoaster wrote: »
    Is anyone reviewing the rescaled EC and dilithium prices? There were some concerns about that earlier.

I'd forgotten about that...the way they increase the prices and how it would cause much higher increases on certain items than others.
  • Options
    edited July 2014

That is very good. The only thing I can now fault is the XP curve about the system being a bit too steep in the 10-20 area.
    Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    frtoaster wrote: »

Which is another reason I was disappointed reading about the Lock Box thing on the 17th; because that means less time to grind out some Dil to buy the weapons at their current prices before they go up.

I'm surprised it hasn't affected the Dil/Zen Exchange more...
  • Options
    commodoreshrvkcommodoreshrvk Member Posts: 477 Arc User
    edited July 2014

Well I would ask as far as the XP curves, what is the goal of the system design-wise. Is it based on total hours used or 4 hour play sessions? That will have a big difference. I do have some alternative suggestions that would indeed be beneficial rather than messing with the base 600 XP/hour rate. Here are two things that I think would be very good for the health of the system and even promote some of your goals.

1 - Subcomponent can be crafted in different rarities - Doing this you can give them a small crafting bonus (+5 for green, +10 blue, +15 for purple) and a small boost in XP (1 - for common, 5 for uncommons, 10, and 15). Also, you can give the bonus XP is a stack drops from a critical...so if you happen to get lucky and get a 3-stack of Very Rares, you you get 45 XP, if you only get a three stack of commons you get 3 XP.

2 - Rarity Craft Bonus XP - following the subcomponents, you can get bonus XP for a craft of a common, uncommon, rare, and very rare. Just give them a simple 5, 10, or 15% bonus. It makes sense that the more intricate (higher quality) item should get a bonus. So if you graft a very rare MK VI Beam array you get 600 + 90 XP = 690 XP. It is not much but it will start to add up over the duration of the system.

Now what these two things do is speed up the process of leveling based on the quality of DOFFs etc... That drives people to get better DOFFs. It also introduces some crafted subcomponents that can enter the marketplace that have greater value. This will stimulate the economy and crafters that can consistently make Very Rare components will be in high demand, perhaps even sought after in game (social interaction).

Please consider these as you continue to iterate the system.
  • Options
    toivatoiva Member Posts: 3,276 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Which is another reason I was disappointed reading about the Lock Box thing on the 17th; because that means less time to grind out some Dil to buy the weapons at their current prices before they go up.

I'm surprised it hasn't affected the Dil/Zen Exchange more...

There's so many things to keep track of with 9.5.

It's really insane to consider it coming in a week. I'm trying to come up with a reason for 9.5 to come later than the next lockbox, but I got nothing.

Ehm, is any way of converting unreplicateable materials planned, btw? Just another thing that afaik still isn't possible on Tribble.
    TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
    Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.
    Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var, Tevra, T'Vira, To'Vrak: Give us Asylums for Romulans.

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
  • Options
    kokobellokokobello Member Posts: 37 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    .. that that many players are actually eating the sh*t that cryptic is feeding you!?
    They are taking your mastercraftmansship away and thats just fine!?

Well ive been around since open beta and ALL the grinding and ALL the tiers of grinding(well i stopped just before the undine reputation came out...i guess somehow i finally came to my senses...) and all the bugs NOT being adressed, THE DE-CLOAKING bug from 2011 january...and
    all the other changes that has been forced upon us and how i got robbed of millions because of cryptic lazy TRIBBLE programming...boy did i digress here but short and sweat: Im done with this bug-grind piece of sh*t they call STO! :mad:

But i guess some players think that grinding forever is a good way of gaming.....
    Feel free to fan boy-bash me...like i care! :cool: and dito for the bann im going to get here
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    kokobello wrote: »
    .. that that many players are actually eating the sh*t that cryptic is feeding you!?

Well ive been around since open beta and ALL the grinding and ALL the tiers of grinding(well i stopped just before the undine reputation came out...i guess somehow i finally came to my senses...) and all the bugs NOT being adressed, THE DE-CLOAKING bug from 2011 january...and
    all the other changes that has been forced upon us and how i got robbed of millions because of cryptic lazy TRIBBLE programming...boy did i digress here but short and sweat: Im done with this bug-grind piece of sh*t they call STO! :mad:

But i guess some players think that grinding forever is a good way of gaming.....
    Feel free to fan boy-bash me...like i care! :cool: and dito for the bann im going to get here

Read back my posts when it all began, and tell me my nerd rage was not epic! But it is getting better, so I do not rage any more. Message went across.
  • Options
    malkarrismalkarris Member Posts: 797 Arc User
    edited July 2014

Thank you. Not the best solution, in my point of view, but a livable one. May I ask if this research project will reward a large amount of xp, similar to the earlier idea of lengthening the crafting projects and have the xp scale with that, so that if a one hour project gives 600 xp I think it is, this new research project will give 20 hours times 600xp or 12,000 xp?

Also, do you know if we will see this research project or the tutorial mission before the 9.5 launches on holodeck?
    Joined September 2011
    Nouveau riche LTS member
  • Options
    ensignswensonensignswenson Member Posts: 45 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I'd like a ban from the forums too please...It will most likely save you from having to do it later...better make it for the next month because after I get master craftsman status stripped from me the four letter words will surely flow like champagne at a coronation.
  • Options
    colonelsanderzcolonelsanderz Member Posts: 64 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I would add to my previous feedback that there should be no dil cost with crafting an item, unless you intend to deliver us a system where players can trade dil like EC. Having this cost be dil only really makes it difficult to craft stuff for others as they cannot pay you the dil cost of an item directly... not unless you are going to give us a way to direct trade dilithium.
    ?
  • Options
    dragonsbrethrendragonsbrethren Member Posts: 1,854 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    kokobello wrote: »

You mean that number that took, like, zero real effort to obtain across three characters? I hadn't even considered it, honestly.
  • Options
    adjudicatorhawkadjudicatorhawk Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    malkarris wrote: »
    Thank you. Not the best solution, in my point of view, but a livable one. May I ask if this research project will reward a large amount of xp, similar to the earlier idea of lengthening the crafting projects and have the xp scale with that, so that if a one hour project gives 600 xp I think it is, this new research project will give 20 hours times 600xp or 12,000 xp?

It'll give a little less than 600 XP per hour since it's cheap and efficient. However, yes, it will still give a large chunk of XP.
    Also, do you know if we will see this research project or the tutorial mission before the 9.5 launches on holodeck?

The tutorial should already be there, at player-level 15 or higher. The research projects should be on Tribble early next week, barring anything going wrong.
    Jeff "Adjudicator Hawk" Hamilton
    Systems Designer - Cryptic Studios
    Twitter: @JeffAHamilton
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    It'll give a little less than 600 XP per hour since it's cheap and efficient. However, yes, it will still give a large chunk of XP.

The tutorial should already be there, at player-level 15 or higher. The research projects should be on Tribble early next week, barring anything going wrong.

If we say its 500XP per hour for 20 hours.... that's 10000Xp per day. That's neat!
  • Options
    generalmocogeneralmoco Member Posts: 1,634
    edited July 2014
    Me Like!!! So we can basically run these projects and during the 20hr period run other small projects to get components and such... I like...

R&D system just went from....
    ummm no
    to
    ok ok this is neat, I do it.
  • Options
    malkarrismalkarris Member Posts: 797 Arc User
    edited July 2014

For the research project, fair enough.

For the tutorial, is it called first creation? If I copy over a fresh level 50 character onto tribble, I get a mission by that name that auto completes. Is that the mission in question? If so, I hope its not supposed to just autocomplete, since that's not that useful to teach players how to do this.

If its another mission, I don't see anything in the available or in progress tabs of the mission lists that seems like crafting. What should I be looking for?
    Joined September 2011
    Nouveau riche LTS member
  • Options
    frtoasterfrtoaster Member Posts: 3,352 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Please see the following bug report:

Potential outcome tooltips show [???] for modifiers
    Waiting for a programmer ...
    qVpg1km.png
  • Options
    signumpaxsignumpax Member Posts: 43 Arc User
    edited July 2014

Good to hear that, that will make the system way more comfortable :)