test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Where Do You Think STO is Headed?

Comments

• tpalelenatpalelena Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    inkrunner wrote: »
    I have no idea. I'm worried the 'STO to mobile' people are right. I'm worried that more grinds and money grabs will cause STO to die of attrition.

Losing 18% of your customers in any department is bad. Maybe PWE and Cryptic will learn that in-game gambles and grinds are actually short-term solutions to long-term problems: lack of cash and lack of regular, interesting new content, respectively.

Cryptic - time and time again - have seemingly failed to realize that many (read: most) of the players are here because of Star Trek, not because this game is a good one.

It's gotten to the point where I'm not still here because of even the Star Trek IP. I'm here because I still have good friends in the community.

In Summary:

When my friends in this community leave - many have already gone, and at this rate, the rest will soon - so will I.

This.

Cryptic puts in annoying grinds and paywalls, and is surprised that they loose customers. LOL.
    Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
  • philipclaybergphilipclayberg Member Posts: 1,680
    edited June 2014
    talonxv wrote: »
    overcookin my grits!

Ya'll mean yer gray-its. It be a two sylabble werd. Ah-yay-yuh.
  • bernatkbernatk Member Posts: 1,089 Bug Hunter
    edited June 2014
    eldarion79 wrote: »
    loading screen will be your ship.

One can only wish. The Bridge needs a serious facelift gameplay wise. Bridge should be the base of operation, just like in the last 50 years it was.
    Tck7dQ2.jpg
    Dahar Master Mary Sue                                               Fleet Admiral Bloody Mary
  • thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    What I find disturbing is the linked financial metrics and the signs pointing to turning STO into a mobile device clicky game. Not the other game being developed.

It says flat out that the loss of PC customers are making them push towards mobile gaming. Another example of the powers that be refusing to fix the actual problem and taking the game in an undesired direction for a quick cash in rather than do the work required for real long-term growth. I feel this does not bode well for my favorite Trek game.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.
    What people are forgetting is that PW also started an entire Console division. They are already converting NW to the Console, and I assume STO will follow at some point.

STO can never be a mobile-gaming project. Some aspects of it - such as Doffing, that people have been asking to be mobile for years - can, but the game is too big to be a mobile-only project. It will always require a PC or Console to run it.

Yes, PW is looking to expand into the Mobile market but that has nothing to do with STO. PW is not just STO. They have 14 games to deal with and are looking to make more - and yes, they want to make Table/Smartphone games too; because that is where all the money is at right now. PW is a gaming company. They are always going to be expanding into every possible gaming market. But not everything they do has anything to do with STO.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    What people are forgetting is that PW also started an entire Console division. They are already converting NW to the Console, and I assume STO will follow at some point.

STO can never be a mobile-gaming project. Some aspects of it - such as Doffing, that people have been asking to be mobile for years - can, but the game is too big to be a mobile-only project. It will always require a PC or Console to run it.

Yes, PW is looking to expand into the Mobile market but that has nothing to do with STO. PW is not just STO. They have 14 games to deal with and are looking to make more - and yes, they want to make Table/Smartphone games too; because that is where all the money is at right now. PW is a gaming company. They are always going to be expanding into every possible gaming market. But not everything they do has anything to do with STO.

all i saw money taking from pc game put to converting sto to a console game witch in my opinion will make the game ya....................
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • sheracsherac Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited June 2014

You can never take an MMO on a console seriously. Ever.

And you can never not severely dumb down an MMO to get it on a console. Ever.

Anyone that says differently is missing more brain cells than they started with.

Good luck with that PW. The game is already failing on PC. If they think putting on a console is going to change that the game is a failure, then that assumption must be coming from the same developers who decided that they should remove content because it made the installation "too large".

We all get a good laugh out of these guys don't we?
  • thegalaxy31thegalaxy31 Member Posts: 1,211 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    The only time I play is when my friends and I are roleplaying.

I think this game reached it's peak in... maybe when the fraction came out. Despite it being a fraction, it was cool. Awesome storylines, not to mention the challenge of the Elachi.
    I would love to visit this star in-game...or maybe this one!
    Won't SOMEONE please think of the CHILDREN?!
    edited June 2014
    daan2006 wrote: »
    all i saw money taking from pc game put to converting sto to a console game witch in my opinion will make the game ya....................
    It is no great surprise the PC gaming market is slowly dying. A business has to take the steps to keep evolving with the market trends or it dies too: OPM and buggy whips. :) Converting NW to the Console is exactly what they should be doing to ensure the company's long-term survival. I do not know if STO will follow but I assume it will once NW has proven it can be profitable - just as CO proved FTP could be profitable and STO followe suit.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
    edited June 2014
    The day they change STO to play like NW does will be when I stop playing STO. I'm too old to learn how to use console controllers and I hate they way the controls are set up to play NW on a PC.
    The fact that Console players can play it does not mean that it will stop being a PC game. But PCs are slowly going out of favor. Consoles and Tablets now do everything a PC can do - at least as far as gaming. The writing is on the wall.
    edited June 2014
    It is no great surprise the PC gaming market is slowly dying. A business has to take the steps to keep evolving with the market trends or it dies too: OPM and buggy whips. :) Converting NW to the Console is exactly what they should be doing to ensure the company's long-term survival. I do not know if STO will follow but I assume it will once NW has proven it can be profitable - just as CO proved FTP could be profitable and STO followe suit.

I don't know where you got your facts, but the PC gaming market has far surpassed the console market. You might want to do your research. The "PC gaming is dying" nonsense that people have been spewing so long has been utterly stomped out and killed by financial reports.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonevangelho/2014/04/28/as-global-pc-game-revenue-surpasses-consoles-how-long-should-console-makers-keep-fighting/

You just got served.

And I do enjoy serving up a dish to these kids that claim PC gaming is dying with absolutely no facts to back it up except a fan boy ideology. In the future stop making asinine claims with absolutely no factual basis other than the fact that you wish console gaming was better.
    edited June 2014

bahahhahahhahahahhahahahhahahhahaha
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
    edited June 2014
    sherac wrote: »
    What drug did you take this morning? I can suggest a methadone clinic.

I don't know where you got your facts, but the PC gaming market has far surpassed the console market. You might want to do your research. The "PC gaming is dying" nonsense that people have been spewing so long has been utterly stomped out and killed by financial reports.
    If you did your own research you would see that Tablets are at the point where they are starting to out-sell PCs now - projected to reach that point next year. The combination of Tablet and Console are outselling PCs combined.

The Console and Tablet gaming market is booming - especially the Tablet market. The PC market is slowly fading in comparison to the Tablet market. In a decade PCs are going to be a novelty: something remembered as a gaming device. That is just the way the industry is going.
    edited June 2014
    If you did your own research you would see that Tablets are at the point where they are starting to out-sell PCs now - projected to reach that point next year. The combination of Tablet and Console are outselling PCs combined.

The Console and Tablet gaming market is booming - especially the Tablet market. The PC market is slowly fading. In a decade PCs are going to be a novelty: something remembered as a gaming device. That is just the way the industry is going.

You're full of it.

Face it: you're wrong. Deal with it and move on.

The reports say PC. PC is not a tablet. Served up another dish. How does it taste?

Edit: You can twist the facts all you want son, you're going to lose. Better get a mod to close the thread before you just waste your time some more. Also, not to mention that PC gamers outnumber console gamers by something like 600:1. No matter what nonsense you come up with, you're not going to win.
    edited June 2014

The Console and Tablet gaming market is booming - especially the Tablet market. The PC market is slowly fading in comparison to the Tablet market. In a decade PCs are going to be a novelty: something remembered as a gaming device. That is just the way the industry is going.
    You're full of it.

The reports say PC. PC is not a tablet. Served up another dish. How does it taste?

Edit: You can twist the facts all you want son, you're going to lose. Better get a mod to close the thread before you just waste your time some more.

Boys, boys, stop fighting.
  • farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I'm positive about it. So far the story is good with the Dyson Sphere. I hadn't done any of the Tuvok ones yet, due to I'm doing them in order. Seeing them redoing some of the older missions to make them fit better. And fixing some issues with them. Plus KDF now has their own starting levels.

So far I have been happy and enjoyed the game. And looking forward of yet to come. Granted they still have lingering issues to fix, but what game don't.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
    edited June 2014
    You're full of it.

Edit: You can twist the facts all you want son, you're going to lose. Better get a mod to close the thread before you just waste your time some more. Also, not to mention that PC gamers outnumber console gamers by something like 600:1. No matter what nonsense you come up with, you're not going to win.
    What are you talking about?

The Tablet gaming market eclipses the PC gaming market - and the Console gaming market. Just because PC is doing better then Console does not mean it is doing better then Tablet/Smartphone games. That was my whole point.

As the Tablet is overtaking the PC sales people are relying on it and the Smartphones more and more and the PC less and less. They are not having a need to buy PCs; and since many households already have a Console the gaming requirements will be met by Console and Tablet. That is the current global trend - which is why so many gaming companies are jumping on the Tablet market. In a decade the PC will be a novelty for gaming.
    edited June 2014

The Tablet gaming market eclipses the PC gaming market - and the Console gaming market. Just because PC is doing better then Console does not mean it is doing better then Tablet/Smartphone games. That was my whole point.

As the Tablet is overtaking the PC sales people are relying on it and the Smartphones more and more and the PC less and less. They are not having a need to buy PCs; and since many households already have a Console the gaming requirements will be met by Console and Tablet. That is the current global trend - which is why so many gaming companies are jumping on the Tablet market. In a decade the PC will be a novelty.

Tablets are tablets, consoles are consoles and PCs are PCs. No one is switching to tablets from PC or console. People are however switching from console to PC: by record numbers, but they will never switch from either to a tablet. Tablet has its time and place: that is its only use.

And you're wrong again. PC will not be a novelty in a decade.

Your rambling is up there with the kids that claimed Linux would take over PC gaming 15 years ago.
    edited June 2014
    Tablets are tablets, consoles are consoles and PCs are PCs. No one is switching to tablets from PC or console. People are however switching from console to PC: by record numbers, but they will never switch from either to a tablet. Tablet has its time and place: that is its only use.

And you're wrong again. PC will not be a novelty in a decade.

Your rambling is up there with the kids that claimed Linux would take over PC gaming 15 years ago.
    It is a shame you cannot have a discussion without needing to make a personal attack in every post.

Perhaps you need to go back and look at the discussion that was going on.

Someone was concerned about STO becoming a Tablet/Mobile/Smartphone game. I stated that cannot happen as STO is too big for a Tablet/Smartphone. I then go on to state that PW is converting NW to Console and that if it does well STO would probably follow suit.

I then stated that Tablet sales are going to outpace PCs next year. Here is a C/Net post about it: http://www.cnet.com/news/tablet-shipments-forecasted-to-outpace-pcs-by-2015/

My belief in the future - within a decade - is that as Tablets keep outselling PCs that people's gaming needs are either going to be met by Tablet or Console as PC sales will have dwindled to the point where they will not be viable any longer - and yes, that can happen in a decade at the pace technology is current moving. The Tablet gaming market is already outpacing the PC and Console gaming market, and that is only going to continue in the future. The PC gaming market is a fraction of the Tablet market, and as PC sales keep falling behind the use of PCs for gaming will as well.

See? I managed to state all of that without suggesting you are on drugs or some other rude statement. Try it.
    edited June 2014
    It is a shame you cannot have a discussion without needing to make a personal attack in every post.

Perhaps you need to go back and look at the discussion that was going on.

Someone was concerned about STO becoming a Tablet/Mobile/Smartphone game. I stated that cannot happen as STO is too big for a Tablet/Smartphone. I then go on to state that PW is converting NW to Console and that if it does well STO would probably follow suit.

I then stated that Tablet sales are going to outpace PCs next year. Here is a C/Net post about it: http://www.cnet.com/news/tablet-shipments-forecasted-to-outpace-pcs-by-2015/

My belief in the future - within a decade - is that as Tablets keep outselling PCs that people's gaming needs are either going to be met by Tablet or Console as PC sales will have dwindled to the point where they will not be viable any longer - and yes, that can happen in a decade at the pace technology is current moving. The Tablet gaming market is already outpacing the PC and Console gaming market, and that is only going to continue in the future. The PC gaming market is a fraction of the Tablet market, and as PC sales keep falling behind the use of PCs for gaming will as well.

See? I managed to state all of that without suggesting you are on drugs or some other rude statement. Try it.

Remember that when you fight someone who is angry with logic, they'll just become furious.

Best solution? Forget it.
    edited June 2014
    I'm talking about how the controls are set up for NW. They don't work the same way as this game. If there's a way to change them I wasn't able to figure out how to do it.

I don't give a rat's rear end if the writing is on the wall. I'm not playing any game that has a UI that I find difficult to master and leaves me feeling awkward, uncomfortable, and frustrated when I try to play it.

If I want to be miserable and frustrated I'll get a job.
    Well, I would rather wait to see what the UI will look like and how it will function before deciding I hate it. :)
  • shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    bahahhahahhahahahhahahahhahahhahaha

I second this! :D
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited June 2014

As the Tablet is overtaking the PC sales people are relying on it and the Smartphones more and more and the PC less and less. They are not having a need to buy PCs; and since many households already have a Console the gaming requirements will be met by Console and Tablet. That is the current global trend - which is why so many gaming companies are jumping on the Tablet market. In a decade the PC will be a novelty for gaming.

You are right, Tablets are overtaking PCs because tablets are offering the classic functions computers once monopolized. Like word processing and internet searching. However, Tablet gaming currently isn't even close to overtaking in the high-end gaming markets that consoles and gaming PCs currently rule over, due to processing power and lack of powerful graphics cards. Then they have to contend with the ergonomics of gamers such needing large screens, joysticks, and game pads to do gaming.

So I don't really see tablets being used in the high-end gaming markets like people think they will be. But if they do, be another decade til they refine those points.
    edited June 2014
    shpoks wrote: »
    I second this! :D

i just did a edit to that post to give it a vid link that i think suits my poste :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
  • shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    i just did a edit to that post to give it a vid link that i think suits my poste :)

Seems legit. ;)
    HQroeLu.jpg
    edited June 2014
    However, Tablet gaming currently isn't even close to overtaking in the high-end gaming markets that consoles and gaming PCs currently rule over, due to processing power and lack of powerful graphics cards.
    I believe my point was that a combination of Mobile and Console will be the gaming, and other current PC functions, platform of the future. Consoles can be adapted with keyboards to give a PC feel to gaming. They also offer huge screens and exceptional processing power.

When you can access the internet from anywhere on your Mobile and access it at home while on your Console what do you need your PC for; especially when all the other PC functions can be done on the Mobile?

That is the trend of the future - and the trend gaming companies are moving toward.
  • ricorosebudricorosebud Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Tablet/mobile games are much different beasts.

Console and PC games are not going away. Fruit Ninja, Candy Crush and Farmville make money, this is true and may even earn as well as WoW, but that doesn't mean Farmville is going to put WoW out of business.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2014
    Tablet/mobile games are much different beasts.

Console and PC games are not going away. Fruit Ninja, Candy Crush and Farmville make money, this is true and may even earn as well as WoW, but that doesn't mean Farmville is going to put WoW out of business.
    WoW is putting itself out of business - having lost 1/3 of its players over the last few years. :)
    edited June 2014
    WoW is putting itself out of business - having lost 1/3 of its players over the last few years. :)

same can be said for cryptic ;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
    edited June 2014
    same can be said for cryptic ;)
    The difference is that Blizzard posts their numbers, so we know it as a fact rather then just POed speculation. :)

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/world-of-********-subscribers-slide-as-activision-blizzard-sees-profit-fall-35-percent/1100-6419463/
    edited June 2014
    The difference is that Blizzard posts their numbers, so we know it as a fact rather then just POed speculation. :)

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/world-of-********-subscribers-slide-as-activision-blizzard-sees-profit-fall-35-percent/1100-6419463/

ya bizz dont hide their numbers ;) i see this this place shutting down before wow or blizz ever dose
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead