test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

romulan/Reman bridge officer candidate?

nickcastletonnickcastleton Member Posts: 1,212 Arc User
edited July 2014 in Romulan Discussion
I have noticed that on my Klingon the Duoff assignment to requit bridge officers pops up nearly every day, so much that i have about 13 different quality bridge officers in my roster that i dont use (yet)

but for my Romulan characters it almost never pops up, im wondering if anyone has found out how to get more yet as id like to replace my common and uncommon BO with some purple or failing that blue officers and i dont want to pay the overpriced amount on the exchange.
0bzJyzP.gif

"It appears we have lost our sex appeal, captain."- Tuvok
Post edited by nickcastleton on

Comments

• caediciuscaedicius Member Posts: 242 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    It seems indeed that you must have a lot of patience (and luck) to get better Romulan Boffs (and Reman are even harder to get). Of course you could "buy" them at the embassy, if your fleet is well prepared, but that will give you no Superior Operatives as far as I know. To spend some millions energy credits in the exchange is of course also a possibility...
    Away from that I could only suggest that you visit both Tau Dewa Sector AND the Command Centre on New Romulos often, since as far as I know only there Assignments for Romulan/ Reman Boffs occour (rarely).
  • nickcastletonnickcastleton Member Posts: 1,212 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    caedicius wrote: »
    It seems indeed that you must have a lot of patience (and luck) to get better Romulan Boffs (and Reman are even harder to get). Of course you could "buy" them at the embassy, if your fleet is well prepared, but that will give you no Superior Operatives as far as I know. To spend some millions energy credits in the exchange is of course also a possibility...
    Away from that I could only suggest that you visit both Tau Dewa Sector AND the Command Centre on New Romulos often, since as far as I know only there Assignments for Romulan/ Reman Boffs occour (rarely).

i see didn't think to try in the command center :rolleyes: , seems odd and annoying that feds and klingons get them easily but romulans have to struggle, though i suppose since were a scattered people it may make scene.
    0bzJyzP.gif

• virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    i see didn't think to try in the command center :rolleyes: , seems odd and annoying that feds and klingons get them easily but romulans have to struggle, though i suppose since were a scattered people it may make scene.

Feds get various BOFF DOFF missions based on Fed species.
    KDF get various BOFF DOFF missions based on KDF species.
    Fed Roms get various BOFF DOFF missions based on Fed and Rom species.
    KDF Roms get various BOFF DOFF missions based on KDF and Rom species.

You get just as many BOFF DOFF missions as a Rom as you do Fed or KDF. That only so many are off a specific species is no different than it is for Fed or KDF...outside of there being that many more species and thus reduced odds of seeing the one that you want.

If you're having horrible luck with them coming up or if you just don't have the patience for how long it might take cause of horrible luck, you can roll a Rom alt - leeching their BOFFs for your main Rom toon. Sure, it's usually faster to do this during a Mirror Event (or was faster back when we still had Mirror Incursion); but depending on your luck - it may be the faster option if you're looking to load up on that mix of SRO/Sub, Sup Infil, etc BOFFs.
  • dragonsbrethrendragonsbrethren Member Posts: 1,854 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Romulan recruitment comes up just as often as Federation races for me. I make a good amount of EC off of them every few days. The biggest hurdle is that you have to be in the Tau Dewa sector or New Romulus Command for them to show, whereas I believe you can get Federation races anywhere.

Reman seems quite a bit rarer, but it's still not that uncommon.
  • neversetdrumneversetdrum Member Posts: 41 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I was wondering about this mission myself. At first, my Fed Rom used to get this mission once or twice a week. Then I made a Kdf alt. Now it seems to have switched. I get the mission on my alt a couple times a week, and hardly ever anymore on my fed. Was wondering if it was some sort of shared cooldown or something. But, just seems to be hit or miss. I always log out in tau dewa, and always TW back there whenever I'm finished whatever it is I'm currently doing. Wish there was a method to the madness.
  • erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I have a rom assignment about every month, and a reman, I don't know, about 1 every 3 months, or more.

And I have 3 characters camping on the command center (2low lvl alts and my main), that I log on them every day.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • davidwforddavidwford Member Posts: 1,836 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    The only time I see a Romulan BOFF recruitment mission is when I am in the Command Center. Rather than give us KDF BOFF recruitment missions in Eta Erdani, we sould be getting Republicn BOFF recruitment missions for Romulans, Remans, and REPUBLIC Alien BOFFs.
  • reximuzreximuz Member Posts: 1,172 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    davidwford wrote: »
    The only time I see a Romulan BOFF recruitment mission is when I am in the Command Center. Rather than give us KDF BOFF recruitment missions in Eta Erdani, we sould be getting Republicn BOFF recruitment missions for Romulans, Remans, and REPUBLIC Alien BOFFs.

This.

I also find that some people seem to be luckier than others in even getting the missions at the command center. I have more fingers then I have gotten Romulan/Reman recruitment missions since LOR launched, and I mostly live at Romulan command.
  • nickcastletonnickcastleton Member Posts: 1,212 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    what gets me is why these mission dont pop up in other areas of romulan space like alpha centuari sector these areas may be romulan empire controlled but u would think we could still requit defectors in the area.

and those that say its even for all factions i disagree my klingon gets about 3 a day granted there different species but if thats the case then romulan should be more common due to their limited species choices.
    0bzJyzP.gif

• caediciuscaedicius Member Posts: 242 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Well, it is "even" in the way that you could get Boffs in similar number. But it is strange that as a Romulan (KDF) you could much more easily get an Gorn/ Orion/ Klingon/ Nausicaan (and perhaps even Lethean) Boff than a Romulan (forget about Remans). As a Romulan, it would made much more sense if it is harder to get an officer from your allies than from your own people (and yes, I also would support the idea of defectors from the Empire/ TS - both boff and doff).
    edited June 2014
    what gets me is why these mission dont pop up in other areas of romulan space like alpha centuari sector these areas may be romulan empire controlled but u would think we could still requit defectors in the area.

and those that say its even for all factions i disagree my klingon gets about 3 a day granted there different species but if thats the case then romulan should be more common due to their limited species choices.

I agree. ALL of the Romulan Front Sector Blocks should readily and reliably provide Romulan and Reman BOFF missions.
    edited June 2014
    reximuz wrote: »
    I also find that some people seem to be luckier than others in even getting the missions at the command center. I have more fingers then I have gotten Romulan/Reman recruitment missions since LOR launched, and I mostly live at Romulan command.

You might live there, but if you're only checking personal assignments once a day, that's all you're getting -- one chance. I take my main away from those places but always try to come back after shipboard update (shipboard will only update based on your current location when you check your doffs, even if over an hour has passed, it doesn't auto update so this is very easy). Some days I don't get anything, but I almost always have one Romulan recruitment assignment running.

Maybe it's luck, but Romulans don't believe in that.

I definitely agree with the idea of all the Romulan space sector blocks giving these recruitment missions. There will be defectors in those blocks, it just makes sense and makes getting them a bit more convenient.
    edited June 2014
    You might live there, but if you're only checking personal assignments once a day, that's all you're getting -- one chance. I take my main away from those places but always try to come back after shipboard update (shipboard will only update based on your current location when you check your doffs, even if over an hour has passed, it doesn't auto update so this is very easy). Some days I don't get anything, but I almost always have one Romulan recruitment assignment running.

Maybe it's luck, but Romulans don't believe in that.

I definitely agree with the idea of all the Romulan space sector blocks giving these recruitment missions. There will be defectors in those blocks, it just makes sense and makes getting them a bit more convenient.

Hmmmmmm, I was always under the impression that it went by sector update. So you're saying it should be checked hourly. Does it update when you're IN the right place, or only if you come back to the sector? I used to get these quite frequently on my fed, but it rarely pops now
  • swamarianswamarian Member Posts: 1,506 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I haven't seen a Romulan (or Reman) officer candidate mission for my Fed aligned Reman this year. I used to check the command center regularly on the hour, but eventually gave up. I think that some of us are just bugged.
    edited June 2014
    As of my last posting, I've had 2 Rom missions fed side.1 rom mission KDF and 1 Reman mission KDF. Got 1 SRO and 1 Sup Infil or of it. Wish I knew the secret to timing these
  • catoblepasbetacatoblepasbeta Member Posts: 1,532 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I have never gotten a recruitment mission for a Romulan or Reman Bridge officer. They just don't seem to show up, no matter how many times I visit the command center or the Tau Dewa sector block. I have pretty much given up at this point.
  • mikoto8472mikoto8472 Member Posts: 607 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I've seen three Romulans-two of blue quality, one of purple. And one blue Reman since LoR was released in my case.
    edited July 2014
    I'm not sure what the secret is, but, I've received 6 of these missions in the last week, and picked up 2 more just last not. Both romulan and Reman at the same time. There must be a code
  • bendalekbendalek Member Posts: 1,781 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I've gotten a few on both my RomKlink and my RomFed ... I've found bouncing between the Command center and Sector Space outside new Romulus (not 'in orbit') offers the best chance of bagging a recruitment mission.

I will say I have never seen a Reman recruitment mission, but Romulan ones, and the ubiquitous 'allied faction' BoFF's pop up reasonably regularly ...

It should be changed however so that when you are in Romulan Space, you get Romulans/Remans only ... If you go near Qo'noS or Sol, you get Allied BoFF's
    Oh, hoho hohhhhh, Oh,, hoho, hohhhhh
    My%20STO%20Sig%20Clear_zps5etu86s1.png
    edited July 2014
    Allied boffs have no effect on the Romulan boff assignments, you can get both in Tau Dewa/Command at the same time.
    edited July 2014
    Just got yet another Reman one. So now, between my RomFed and RomKlink I have 3 Reman missions running and 1 Romulan. Been getting ridiculously lucky. All missions popped in Tau Dewa sector space. The only thing that bothers me about these, is, if I want to sell them to buy the Boff I want off the exchange, there's no way to tell whether the Boff was earned Fed side or Klink side. At least 1 of my boffs can't wear a uniform to match the rest of my crew. Bleh :(
    edited July 2014
    bendalek wrote: »
    I've gotten a few on both my RomKlink and my RomFed ... I've found bouncing between the Command center and Sector Space outside new Romulus (not 'in orbit') offers the best chance of bagging a recruitment mission.

I will say I have never seen a Reman recruitment mission, but Romulan ones, and the ubiquitous 'allied faction' BoFF's pop up reasonably regularly ...

It should be changed however so that when you are in Romulan Space, you get Romulans/Remans only ... If you go near Qo'noS or Sol, you get Allied BoFF's

I agree. Tau Dewa, Psi Velorum, Alpha Centarui, and Iota Pavonis Sector Blocks should only give Romulan, Reman, and Republic Alien BOFF missions. Elsewhere should give ally BOFFs.
    Just got yet another Reman one. So now, between my RomFed and RomKlink I have 3 Reman missions running and 1 Romulan. Been getting ridiculously lucky. All missions popped in Tau Dewa sector space. The only thing that bothers me about these, is, if I want to sell them to buy the Boff I want off the exchange, there's no way to tell whether the Boff was earned Fed side or Klink side. At least 1 of my boffs can't wear a uniform to match the rest of my crew. Bleh :(

If the Romulans and Remans are REPUBLIC BOFFs, how should it matter? I would think Republic BOFFs and DOFFs can be used with any Romulan player character.
    edited July 2014
    If the Romulans and Remans are REPUBLIC BOFFs, how should it matter? I would think Republic BOFFs and DOFFs can be used with any Romulan player character.[/QUOTE]

Well, for instance I got an Engineering SRO on my FedRom yesterday. But, I already have 2 of those. I'm looking for a Female Tactical SRO to use on my cannon boat. I sold my Engi Boff I earned. However, when I bought a Female Tac SRO off the exchange, that Boff had been farmed by a RomKlink. In the tailor options, I can't equip that Boff with the RomFed uniform, only the RomKlink uni. If the Boff is earned on the opposite faction, you can't use your allied uniform on them. Not a HUGE deal, but I like to keep things uniform for RP reasons.
  • bendalekbendalek Member Posts: 1,781 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    If the Romulans and Remans are REPUBLIC BOFFs, how should it matter? I would think Republic BOFFs and DOFFs can be used with any Romulan player character.
    Technically of course they can ... The problem comes down to RP'ing and BoFF customization.

When you choose your "Ally" at ~lvl 10 All BoFF's after that that you earn get 'Tagged" as either RomFed or RomKlink for the purposes of the "Aligned Uniform" option.

When a player sells one of these BoFF's on the exchange, there is no visual or text description to show whether they are RomFed or RomKlink, so if your Captain is a RomFed and all your BoFF's wear the Romulan Federation Uniform, and you buy a BoFF that is RomKlink "tagged" they cannot wear the same uniform as you or your other officers ...
    Oh, hoho hohhhhh, Oh,, hoho, hohhhhh
    My%20STO%20Sig%20Clear_zps5etu86s1.png
    edited July 2014
    bendalek wrote: »
    Technically of course they can ... The problem comes down to RP'ing and BoFF customization.

When you choose your "Ally" at ~lvl 10 All BoFF's after that that you earn get 'Tagged" as either RomFed or RomKlink for the purposes of the "Aligned Uniform" option.

When a player sells one of these BoFF's on the exchange, there is no visual or text description to show whether they are RomFed or RomKlink, so if your Captain is a RomFed and all your BoFF's wear the Romulan Federation Uniform, and you buy a BoFF that is RomKlink "tagged" they cannot wear the same uniform as you or your other officers ...

That sounds like a programing glitch. Note to the programmers: the PLAYER should dictate what uniform options are available to BOFFs, not the faction. Or better yet, allow BOFFs to use ALL uniform combinations.
    edited July 2014
    That sounds like a programing glitch. Note to the programmers: the PLAYER should dictate what uniform options are available to BOFFs, not the faction. Or better yet, allow BOFFs to use ALL uniform combinations.

I would love for this to be a glitch, but from everything I've read since LoR released, this is how it's always been. And every BOFF I've farmed on either side has worked the same way, as well as any I've ever purchased. I would agree though. No matter which side you farm them on, the character that actually EQUIPS the BOFF should get the say in what uniforms are available. Since they've never commented on this, I have to assume this is intended.