test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Creating an alt problem

gofasternowgofasternow Member Posts: 1,390 Arc User
No, no, not a bug, but something I've been pondering and I'm not sure what to do.

Way back before the start of season 8, I made myself a Romulan-based character (actually, an alien) and played him through during the big Q double EXP thing. Got him the Obelisk and sent him on his way. However, I grew... dissatisfied with the character. I grew dissatisfied with the story. It just wasn't as fun as, say, the Klingon missions or the Federation missions. I missed out on something and it bothered me.

I wanna make a new character so I can mess with something new, but I don't know what to do. Part of me wants to just buy more character slots so I can keep him around on the off-chance I want to bring him back. On the other hand, a part of me wants me to just go ahead and delete him and start again.

What would you do in this situation?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• peetapipmacpeetapipmac Member Posts: 2,131 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    If you can afford I'd just buy extra slots and keep him for farming.
    It's not my fault if you feel trolled by my Disco ball... Sorry'boutit.

R.I.P. Leonard Nimoy
  • lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I tend to keep my characters around as banks and farmers. I have 2 Roms, 2 KDF, and 1 Fed that I don't play anymore. I kept them for things like Mirror Invasions and Crystalline Entity events. The extra bank space doesn't hurt either.

If you don't need any of that, probably just nuke it if you aren't having fun with it anymore.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • capnmanxcapnmanx Member Posts: 1,452 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Is there anything irreplaceable about the character?

I'm sort of in the same boat, but the character in question is an old subscription toon with expanded inventory and a ship purchased with a VA token; so deleting him would be quite a loss. If he was just a regular F2P toon, I'd probably have deleted him ages ago.
  • gofasternowgofasternow Member Posts: 1,390 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    If you can afford I'd just buy extra slots and keep him for farming.

I got plenty of Zen, so that might be an option.
    capnmanx wrote: »
    Is there anything irreplaceable about the character?

I'm sort of in the same boat, but the character in question is an old subscription toon with expanded inventory and a ship purchased with a VA token; so deleting him would be quite a loss. If he was just a regular F2P toon, I'd probably have deleted him ages ago.

I think the only thing actually irreplaceable about him is the fact that he has the freebie Obelisk from before the start of Season 8, but my Fed Tac has one, too, so...
  • bberge1701bberge1701 Member Posts: 726 Bug Hunter
    edited June 2014
    If he's an "alien", you can "recycle" the character's appearance into something else. If you don't like him as a "Romulan", make him "Cardassian" or whatever. He can be a blank slate.

I too made a "Romulan" (alien) character back in Season 5, when F2P first launched. Eivesh's backstory was that she was a Romulan refugee captured by Hakeev's forces and experimented on. She was augmented with Reman and Betazoid DNA to give her telepathic powers. (I took this from the "Cloaked Intentions" storyline.)

Little did I know that two years later we'd be getting Legacy of Romulus, where we discover that Hakeev and the Elachi were doing exactly this kind of stuff on Nimbus III. :)
  • cbrjwrrcbrjwrr Member Posts: 2,782 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    bberge1701 wrote: »
    If he's an "alien", you can "recycle" the character's appearance into something else. If you don't like him as a "Romulan", make him "Cardassian" or whatever. He can be a blank slate.

This, mostly. name change is a Zen cost, and you cant change gender, but the rest is flexible.

Apart from Tovan.