test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Department Heads, why do they still exist

jagdhippiesjagdhippies Member Posts: 676 Arc User
Why, during the complete DOFFing GUI replacement, do we still have the department heads?! I have always found it idiotic that I have to look for assignments in 3 or sometimes event 4 sections to find all assignemnts of a certain type.

Get rid of the "department heads", "personal", and "curent map" assignements screens and just give me one assignments screen that has all of the assignments in one sorted list. Make it like the "Current Map" list, but instead it simplly call it "Available Assignments" and it put every single assingment in it.

This is the only thing that was needed to make DOFFing easier. I could live with the giant sized new interface if it came with one centralized list of assignments. I really think this new interface displays less information than the current one despite taking up 4 time the screen space.

But I digress, lose the department heads.
My carrier is more powerful than your gal-dread
Post edited by jagdhippies on

Comments

• galadimangaladiman Member Posts: 346 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    /signed. No need for the superfluous clicking - my carpal tunnel would thank the devs for this.
    Please reconsider ARC. Please make it optional, at the least. PLEASE.
    It seems the vast majority of your most active players (forum regulars) hate the idea... and while that's a small subset of the playerbase, I think it's an important constituency.
    THE PLAYERS DO NOT WANT THIS.
  • diotwdiotw Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Are you kidding? The Department Heads screen is my most used bit of the entire DOFF menu! It always provides more missions than are available on the general list, and it's crucial for anyone who likes to RP their BOFFs in certain roles on the ship.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    This character is why I don't play my Romulan any more. Tovan Khev is NOT my BFF! Get him off my bridge!
  • carl103carl103 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I think there suggesting having everything you'd find there added to the main page. Probably not gonna happen since i suspect it would cause the number of assignments to exceed some sort of programming limit.
  • yellowalertyellowalert Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    diotw wrote: »
    Are you kidding? The Department Heads screen is my most used bit of the entire DOFF menu! It always provides more missions than are available on the general list, and it's crucial for anyone who likes to RP their BOFFs in certain roles on the ship.

That's what OP was saying. Instead of having more missions listed under the department heads, just have them all listed in one master list.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited June 2014
  • diotwdiotw Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    That's what OP was saying. Instead of having more missions listed under the department heads, just have them all listed in one master list.

That's only part of it. What about the ability to set your BOFFs as you Chief of Security, Chief Engineer, or Chief Medical Officer? What about First Officer? I'm sure I can't be the only player who's set up a whole crew of BOFFs with specific RP roles.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    This character is why I don't play my Romulan any more. Tovan Khev is NOT my BFF! Get him off my bridge!
  • orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    orangeitis wrote: »
    We like the immersion.

-1 sign
    In fact, I think that we should actually get gameplay element distinction between department heads. Like our BOFFs get department head-exclusive skills or something.
  • zadamazadama Member Posts: 78 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    They are actually there for a purpose. Department Heads were introduced shortly after the Doff system itself was brought out, and give access to the assignments that could originally only be seen by speaking to certain NPCs within your ship interior.

People complained about having to go in the interior - despite them finally serving some function - and so the change was made. I believe the Department Head assignments draw from a different pool than your Sector or Personal ones do, which is why they're not all on the one screen, because each section has its own separate cooldown for updating.
  • nishkacmnishkacm Member Posts: 133 Arc User
    edited June 2014

I love my department heads for this exact reason. I'm an avid RPer (you know, as in mmoRPg) and I wrote background stories for all of my BO's. Having them as department heads really adds to my gameplay and immersion.

Regarding the clicking for doff missions for each of them; I don't mind this too much. You get different missions here than from the region you're in or the personal missions you have, giving you more options to slot doffs. On a master list this feature would likely get lost.
  • yellowalertyellowalert Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    That's only part of it. What about the ability to set your BOFFs as you Chief of Security, Chief Engineer, or Chief Medical Officer? What about First Officer? I'm sure I can't be the only player who's set up a whole crew of BOFFs with specific RP roles.

No, I understand. But in reality, it makes no difference who goes into what slot in the duty officer misisons. It'd be nice if whoever you selected was standing in the spot on the ship however.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • dragonsbrethrendragonsbrethren Member Posts: 1,854 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Someone's RP should never get in the way of better design. You can still totally RP that Mr. Spork is your science officer without setting that in the menu.

Now with that said, I'm no so sure about this idea. Mostly because the list of assignments will be huge if this happens. The department heads combined with personal, at least, break it down into nine reasonably sized lists instead of one huge one. The only alternative I could see would be to keep separate lists, but have them go by commendation instead. Would that really be any better, though?
  • jagdhippiesjagdhippies Member Posts: 676 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    ^^^^^ I like this idea better than my own. Give me a screen for each department head, move all missions into these screens, and trash the current map and personal screens.

I get to avoid useless clicking and needless searching and those that care to can keep their BOFFs in their RP.
    My carrier is more powerful than your gal-dread