test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Need Help

generalmocogeneralmoco Member Posts: 1,634
edited June 2014 in Ten Forward
Hello Guys,

I'm here because in a couple of days, my fleet is going to hit it's 2 Year Anniversary, and for that, we are making an event, or rather a raffle for our members, this raffle includes an Elachi Ship.

So I am asking, does anyone know of a good random name picker or raffle software, that is free, easy to use, and has no potential risk on my system???

Thanks for you help in advance... :)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• dahminusdahminus Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Write names in a hat and draw one?

Does /roll work in this game? Assign everyone a number, /roll (x) where x is the amount of people, screenshot results.
    Chive on and prosper, eh?

My PvE/PvP hybrid skill tree
  • norobladnoroblad Member Posts: 2,624 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Most *good* calculators or emulators for them can make a random number. (often, handily, from 0 to 1).

Typically you just % it to death. That is, there exists a constant for such systems "random max" which is the biggest number the thing can produce.

so get random # (r) and divide by max (m) which is a random %.
    multiply random % and the highest valued raffle ticket (assuming you gave out tickets in order from 1 to N).

The result is the winner.
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    edited June 2014
    Pick a forum member who reply in this thread with a number for an avatar and randomly give it to them.

:P
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • en40rceren40rcer Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    When our fleet does a raffle, I was normally the one responsible for the name selecting. I used and found this site:

http://primaryschoolict.com/random-name-selector/

Delete the existing names, input the names you want to pick from and boom, there you go. If you have the same player eligible for more than one draw..say, you get a ticket for every ten bucks you donate to the cause. The player sends in twenty bucks and is now in the drawing two times, I would put: Enforcer1, Enforcer2 for each time they are eligible.

Hope this helps and congratulations on hitting the two year mark.
  • generalmocogeneralmoco Member Posts: 1,634
    edited June 2014
    en40rcer wrote: »
    When our fleet does a raffle, I was normally the one responsible for the name selecting. I used and found this site:

http://primaryschoolict.com/random-name-selector/

Delete the existing names, input the names you want to pick from and boom, there you go. If you have the same player eligible for more than one draw..say, you get a ticket for every ten bucks you donate to the cause. The player sends in twenty bucks and is now in the drawing two times, I would put: Enforcer1, Enforcer2 for each time they are eligible.

Hope this helps and congratulations on hitting the two year mark.

Oh this is great news to my ears.... or rather eyes... which ever... thanks so much on the system. A Big Thanks from my fleet...

:)
  • pwecaptainsmirkpwecaptainsmirk Member Posts: 1,167 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Happy Fleet Anniversary!

Good luck with the giveaway :D

~CaptainSmirk
  • kimonykimony Member Posts: 571 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Well you could use this from Steve Gibson's GRC website:

Ultra-High Entropy Pseudo-Random Number Generator
    https://www.grc.com/otg/uheprng.htm

Settings:

Make "Range of Values" = number of participants
    Make "Count of Values" = 1
    Select radio button "Randomize the Seed Key"
    then
    Press "Generate Random Numbers" Button

How to:

Pick name out of a hat

Generate a random number

Assign number to name

Write name on list next to selected number to avoid names having the same number

Keep generating and assigning numbers until each name has a unique number within the range of participants

You may want to do all the above and let the participants know what their number is ahead of time so on the day of...

On the day of the drawing generate one more random number where "Range of Values" is equal to the number of participants and you have a winner.

Now I have most likely TOTALLY over-thought this whole process..

Somebody want to clean this mess up.. LOL!

:)

EDIT:

......NINJA'd

#SaucersForever #TrianglesCutDeep #TeamBeta #ShipOneisNumberOne
  • generalmocogeneralmoco Member Posts: 1,634
    edited June 2014
    Happy Fleet Anniversary!

Good luck with the giveaway :D

~CaptainSmirk

Thanks Smirk... I'll Let my Fleet Know about your Gratz!! :)