test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Is a lifetime subscription worth it and how long do you think the game will live?

deathwolf696deathwolf696 Member Posts: 13 Arc User
Well guys I am looking at grabbing a lifetime subscription but I want to know what are the ships like to use, are the respecs and extra ship and costume tokens an intensive or an an insult, are the 2 extra charters going to keep me playing or just introduce boredom but most importantly of all is that Android bridge officer whistling "Pop Goes the Weasel"?

Another worry is as the game is a good few years old what is the expected shelf life, is it going to be like Star Wars Galaxies and get pulled even with the fans wanting more or turn out like WoW that doesnt look like it will die while it still brings cash into the owners?

While I love the game and I want to support it I don't want to feel short changed as I don't normally put money into the MMOs I play.
Post edited by deathwolf696 on

Comments

• thutmosis85thutmosis85 Member Posts: 2,358 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Well Star Wars Galaxies was 8 years when they shut it down ... will STO last 8 years .. dunno, maybe ...

Considering even "Champions Online" is still running, my guess is we have at least 2 more years of STO ... but there is no guarantee there ...

PS : Got my LTS during Beta, lots of people calling me an idiot, because the game wouldn't last 6 months yadda yadda ... it was worth it then, because I would've had to pay Sub for 2 years anyway ... not sure if I would get one now, though [besides the 500 Zen Stipend, all of the Perks are just "nice gimmicks"]
    Patch Notes : Resolved an Issue, where people would accidently experience Fun.
  • woodwhitywoodwhity Member Posts: 2,636 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    LTS doesnt give you much, if you dont level toons like crazy or plant useless stuff in bank&inventory. Thats why I am still F2P'er. Even the ships are second class.
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    It is no secret that most of the benefits you get via a LTS are the same you get via one single 15 buck subscription. You will keep inventory, bank and character slots, as well as the retrain tokens while leveling. You'd think about wether the few gimmicks are worth 100-200 bucks to you.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Servers will run as long as the game brings in more cash than it costs to operate. Real question is if the zen stipend will be worth it to you.
  • hravikhravik Member Posts: 1,203 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Right now, at this stage in the game? I'd say probably not.

The extras just don't amount to that much. I bought my LTS in long ago days of yore, and I don't really use much of it regularly, except for the android boff. A healer that can come back from the dead? Handy dandy, but even that can be gotten (Voth boff) by just playing the game these days. The vet ships I think I used once or twice and never looked back, the Borg unlock I only took to max once to feel like I at least used it. As for the 500 a month? I can trade more dilithium than that in one play session if I really wanted to.
  • deathwolf696deathwolf696 Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Servers will run as long as the game brings in more cash than it costs to operate. Real question is if the zen stipend will be worth it to you.

And there is the only real bonus of the subscription brought out :P

At the mo I have to say yes, as I am not able to put lots of time into the game to get dil to turn into Zen.
  • gonaliusgonalius Member Posts: 893 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I'd imagine the game is going to last quite a bit longer seeing as they keep bringing in new voice talent from Star Trek actors, and we've got a big expansion coming later in the year.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I would expect it to last a while longer. I will definitely give it 2-3 years, likely more.

Even if the game was not doing well (and I think it does well, considering they are working on an expansion and we get regular season updates), I would expect it too last even longer than that, though I really don't know how long. Champions Online is still around, too, and it seems to be in much worse shape.

I can't tell you if you still want to play the game in 2 years, but I think it will be around for that. I myself took a 2 year (or so) hiatus from the game, and now I am back. I figure other people will go through similar phases, lifetime or no lifetime.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    The game isn't going anywhere. As long as CO is still up and running with the state of neglect that it's been in, STO is quite safe.

As for the LTS, it's simple really. Do you enjoy STO and see yourself playing it in the long term? Do you have the funds and are willing to spend that much for the benefits it offers? If yes to both, then grab it if it fancies you.

Personally, I love mine. One of the better decisions I've made.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • jengozjengoz Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I would say not go for it. just buy a sub for a month as you level up a toon.

I think the next expansion will be the last. after that a series lock boxes and small updates as the player base dwindles down, much like we see in Champs now.
    "Star Trek Online is powered by the most abundant resource in the galaxy . . . Gullibility"
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    If STO had a better subscription model like SWTOR that made it worth more, then a LTS might be worth it. However since there is not much difference between Gold Members and Silver Members, then the only valid points for getting a LTS is the 500 Zen Monthly Stipend, the Veteran Rewards, and the Liberated Borg race. If these bonuses aren't worth it to you, then just subscribe for a month to get the rewards.

The LTS has lost its value since the game went F2P and if I was getting my LTS now instead of in beta when I got it, then I would put in a lot more thought into buying it and most likely determining that it was not worth it than buying it on an impulse. After all, I purchased the LTS as a method to save money in the long run and the LTS bonuses didn't even come into my reason for purchasing it. I saw myself playing STO for years and figured $240 was a lot cheaper than $15 per month for 4 years.
  • ericshatnerericshatner Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    There are a few benefits.

The extra bridge officer slots are very useful.

The extra character slots are quite useful.

Obviously, the extra 500zen monthly is great.

Account storage is super useful.

Getting rid of the energy credit cap too.

Everything here can be ground out, but the $$ you are spending is to save you all that in game effort, so you have to decide if that is worth it to you.
  • joedoctorjoedoctor Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Every time there is a lifetime sale this question is asked.

I have been playing since closed beta and there as always been doubt about the game continuing .

I think now im finally ready to do it but don't have the money xD so next time there is a sale i will.
  • stofskstofsk Member Posts: 1,744 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    If you've got $200 to blow on an LTS, you've got $200 you can spend on pretty much anything else that's more worthwhile. If on the other hand, you've had your heart set on it for awhile, then go for it. Ultimately it's your money, and it's your choice.
  • ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    lan451 wrote: »
    The game isn't going anywhere. As long as CO is still up and running with the state of neglect that it's been in, STO is quite safe.

As for the LTS, it's simple really. Do you enjoy STO and see yourself playing it in the long term? Do you have the funds and are willing to spend that much for the benefits it offers? If yes to both, then grab it if it fancies you.

Personally, I love mine. One of the better decisions I've made.

Not to mention so long as STO is PWE's most profitable product.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    imo take your money spend it on something else and yes im a lifer also and i regret it everyday for getting it
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    sophlogimo wrote: »
    As to how long it will live: This game is Star Trek. How old is Star Trek?

Which series, that died when? ;)
  • bluegrassgeekbluegrassgeek Member Posts: 360 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    The LTS is totally worth it. Lots of benefits, like Android boffs, a free destroyer at level 50, the EVA suits, the zen stipend...

Yep, still happy with my Lifetime sub. Bought it shortly after the Romulus expansion dropped. The stipend is nice, the android Boff is useful, the lvl 50 ship token was really useful for my KDF science toon, having Borg captain is just neat.
    ____
    Keep calm, and continue firing photon torpedoes.
  • chalpenchalpen Member Posts: 2,207 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    This game will go bankrupt about 6 months after it goes live
    Should I start posting again after all this time?
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I got mine back at the beginning, so it has been very worth it for me, not sure if it's a good deal anymore though.
    Having not played the game for the last 5 months, I guess it's nice to know it is still available now that I've come back.
    :cool:
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
    edited June 2014
    The LTS is totally worth it. Lots of benefits, like Android boffs, a free destroyer at level 50, the EVA suits, the zen stipend...

It's younger than I am. :cool:
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
  • flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Is a lifetime subscription worth it?
    In my opinion, no, it isn't. There aren't enough justified reasons for me to think of it as a worthwhile purchase (yes, I have one, I found out the hard way).

If you're one of those people with countless characters and a love for pets and gadgets, then yeah, you'll probably have the benefits. If however you're more like me, play with limited characters and don't use pets or the awful looking lifetime ships, then no, it's not really worth it at all.

[QUOTE=deathwolf696;17592501How long do you think the game will live?[/QUOTE]I predict another 5 years minimum. That said, I can see the community haven dropped significantly by then too, especially if Expansion #2 (and Seasons #10, #11 and #12 etc) are more of the same. We need different things to take us forward now, not more dull grinding or power creep which seemingly is what we're getting.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • hornet6hornet6 Member Posts: 101 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I got an LTS a couple of years ago before STO went ftp. I would still get an LTS today.. I like the little benefits, and as someone said the "gimmicks" and I like the free 500 zen each month. Compared to golf and other hobbies, STO is cheap. An LTS is a one-time expense and much less than even a single golf club might be.

I am probably more than a casual player (I said more than a casual player, not necessarily a better one, but I try). For me, STO is my main hobby. I like it. How much a person wants spend on their hobbies is a question only they can answer. For me, the LTS is worth it.

As to how long the game will be around, who can say? It's difficult to predict the future. I hope the game will be around forever. It is reasonable for the OP to be concerned about paying money only to have the game shut down before he gets his money's worth but that is one of those things in life that no one can predict. I bought a fine and quite expensive set of golf clubs awhile back but then, due to some neurological problems I developed, I can't play golf anymore. I only got to use the clubs twice before my golf hobby ability "shut down". I ended up just going to a golf shop parking lot and giving the clubs to some goofball college kid who walked out. The look on that kid's face (after I assured him that the clubs weren't stolen) was easily worth the price of the clubs.

If you can afford an LTS without falling behind on your bills and if you enjoy playing STO, then the LTS would be worth it.
    ANOTHER NERF !?!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    The game has 2 weeks left
    GwaoHAD.png
    edited June 2014
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    The game has 2 weeks left

Heh.. aren't you supposed to be in the DOOM thread?? :P
  • doffingcomradedoffingcomrade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    In a word, no. Whether or not you think the game will actually DIE any time soon, player retention rates are clearly abysmal, as my increasingly dead list of stalkers indicates. I personally believe any claims of outright death in the near future are grossly exaggerated, but it is clear the game is not going to retain interest for the over 2 years it would take to break even. In fact, as the pattern indicates, they will sell these LTSes at a discount right before committing some atrocity in the next season that will make you regret it and would have driven you away had you not tied yourself to it with a $200 ball and chain. Everyone I've known who has fallen for this TRIBBLE bait has immediately regretted it next season. It is a sales tactic designed to sell an otherwise undesirable good by trying to rush you through a poorly thought out decision, lest this special deal fly away.

Just remember: It wasn't a good enough deal last time, and now the game has one less season's worth of life left in it, however much that may be. It is otherwise the same deal as last time: You will get nothing extra by buying now that you wouldn't have gotten buying last time. Why, therefore, would less of something sold at the same price as before be a better deal than the one you rejected last time?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • cidjackcidjack Member Posts: 2,017 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    If you have to ask a bunch of strangers on these forums if a LTS will be of personal value to you, you do not deserve to purchase it.

Make up your own mind, but hey don't listen to me I am one of those strangers.
    Armada: Multiplying fleet projects in need of dilithium by 13."
    95bced8038c91ec6f880d510e6fd302f366a776c4c5761e5f7931d491667a45e.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator
  • thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    cidjack wrote: »
    If you have to asking a bunch of strangers on these forums if a LTS will be of personal value to you, you do not deserve to purchase it.

Make up your own mind, but hey don't listen to me I am one of those strangers.
    OMG, so much this!

If someone is going to ask a bunch of strangers what to do with their money they deserve to lose it. The information you are getting is no more valid then if you went to a fortune teller and asked them. Heck, some of the people saying the game has a year or two left were the same people who said the game would not last 6 months after it launched - and you see how accurate they were then. :)
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • mikeflmikefl Member Posts: 861 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    You can take it or leave it but I tried to hash out the zen value of the LTS below a few sales back but of course you can grind away for most of it through dilithium exchange. I'm happy with my 2 LTS purchases.

I posted this last year for folks asking a similar question. This is going from F2P to LTS what the perks would be... clearly the value to you is only what you use from this list. If you took advantage of all the benefits offered then of course it will certainly pay for itself. I know a lot of folks say the game wont be around but they have been saying that since the beginning. I've had a sub since March 2010 and then an LTS in June 2010. I think the game is doing better than it has done in terms of users and staffing or I wouldn't have bought a 2nd LTS last year for my partner.

If nothing else here is what you get and it's rough value... it pays for itself and then some as well as paying you back $5 per month in zen.

ZEN ITEM
    ++++++++
    600z (zen) Playable Federation Liberated Borg character (Only LTS can obtain)
    600z Playable Klingon Liberated Borg character (Only LTS can obtain)

Costume Pieces:

550z Special Veteran Jacket Option
    Special Veteran Uniform Option (Silver Jupiter Variant)
    Special Veteran Uniform Option (Gold Jupiter Variant)
    550z Klingon Shoulder Pads and Cape

Starships:
    2500z Chimera Heavy Destroyer (1000 day vet)
    2500z Pehgqu' Heavy Destroyer (1000 day vet)
    2500z Romulan Vet Ship
    500z Captain's Yacht/Chariot
    2500z Free Ship at Starfleet Vice Admiral
    2500z Free Ship at KDF Lieutenant General
    2500z Free Ship at Romulan VA

Assorted:
    300z Mugato Companion
    500z Android Bridge Officer
    2000z 4 Additional Starship Slots
    500z 2 Additional Costume Slots
    1065z 4 Additional Character Slots
    5000z 10 Respecs (Per character)
    2000z 20 account shared bank slots
    1500z 60 additional bank slot per character
    1600Z 72 additional INVENTORY SLOTS (PER CHARACTER)
    500z Energy Credit Increase (1 billion EC)

Unvalued items:
    Captain's Table Access
    Firework Ship Emote
    Veteran Starship Material
    Alternative Future Comm Badge
    lifetime comm badge
    Dilithium Refining Boost Doff Assignment
    5% Skill Point and Expertise Boost
    5% Team Skill and Expertise Boost
    Priority Login, Full Chat/Mail Access, Full Customer Service Access, No ads in voice chat, No limitations for fleet creation.

Titles:
    Stalwart
    Redoubtable
    Dauntless
    Valiant
    Relentless
    Magnificent
    Impressive
    Vigilant
    Guardian
    Starfleet/Empire Veteran
    Career Officer

That's nearly 30,000 zen in easily valued benefits besides the unvalued items. So over $250 in perks and $5 in zen back every month. I didn't even multiply out all the other benefits when you consider they are per character. It can be a lot up front but between the perks and the zen stipend each month you most likely recoup your cost in the first year if you are a frequent player.
    Gold Sub since March 2010
    Lifetime Sub since June 2010