test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

DOff idea to improve Boarding Party

baelogventurebaelogventure Member Posts: 1,002 Arc User
New variant of the Demolition Expert DOff.

Each use of Boarding Party (if successful) plants demolition charges inside of the enemy ship that deals 2%(white) 4%(green) 6%(blue) 8%(purple) of total health of the enemy ship as damage.

Using a percentage based on the total enemy health keeps it from being completely overpowered vs smaller craft and completely useless vs larger ones.

If used against a ship with 200k total health and a purple doff, it would deal 16,000 damage

If used against a ship with 30k total health and a purple doff, it would deal 2,400 damage.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    mimey2mimey2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Interesting idea I must say. Quite different. But how would it work?

Is it per shuttle that lands?
    Can the damage be buffed? Resisted?
    Can the damage potentially crit?
    What kind of damage is it? Kinetic? Something else?
    Would the damage be instant, or delayed? If delayed, could a cleanse of some kind clear it before it happens?
    Would the level of Boarding Party itself make a difference? After all, why waste a Cmdr Eng slot on Boarding Party 3, if Boarding Party 1 will do just as well, and only ask a Lt. slot.

I am all for the idea, just curious how it would work.
    I remain empathetic to the concerns of my community, but do me a favor and lay off the god damn name calling and petty remarks. It will get you nowhere.
    I must admit, respect points to Trendy for laying down the law like that.
  • Options
    doffingcomradedoffingcomrade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Add a Transporter Officer that can make boarding parties attack by transporter instead of shuttle if the enemy shield is down, too.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Leave it to mimey to ask the questions to get me thinking deeper.
    mimey2 wrote: »
    Interesting idea I must say. Quite different. But how would it work?

Is it per shuttle that lands?
    Can the damage be buffed? Resisted?
    Can the damage potentially crit?
    What kind of damage is it? Kinetic? Something else?
    Would the damage be instant, or delayed? If delayed, could a cleanse of some kind clear it before it happens?
    Would the level of Boarding Party itself make a difference? After all, why waste a Cmdr Eng slot on Boarding Party 3, if Boarding Party 1 will do just as well, and only ask a Lt. slot.

I am all for the idea, just curious how it would work.

1. No, I was thinking it would be a flat effect, if a shuttle gets you, you get bombs on board.

2. I don't think buffing or resisting would work, since it's supposed to be a different source of damage other then your ship, like you can't buff Pet Damage, and considering that they're inside your ship, in the squishy unarmored corridors.

3. Maybe a crit could bump up the % by 1%?

4. Kinetic would be an obvious choice.

5. It would be delayed, as in, they'd set the charges once they land, and they'd only go off when they transport back, and if you happen to Tac Team in time, the team would stop the demo attempt.

6. Maybe make the % go up for each level of Boarding Party? Like, +1% for Level 2 and another +1% for Level 3?

Just my guesstimation, I'm not a dev or a programmer. Just an idea that I had that would make Boarding Party better to use.
  • Options
    mimey2mimey2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Leave it to mimey to ask the questions to get me thinking deeper.

1. No, I was thinking it would be a flat effect, if a shuttle gets you, you get bombs on board.

2. I don't think buffing or resisting would work, since it's supposed to be a different source of damage other then your ship, like you can't buff Pet Damage, and considering that they're inside your ship, in the squishy unarmored corridors.

3. Maybe a crit could bump up the % by 1%?

4. Kinetic would be an obvious choice.

5. It would be delayed, as in, they'd set the charges once they land, and they'd only go off when they transport back, and if you happen to Tac Team in time, the team would stop the demo attempt.

6. Maybe make the % go up for each level of Boarding Party? Like, +1% for Level 2 and another +1% for Level 3?

Just my guesstimation, I'm not a dev or a programmer. Just an idea that I had that would make Boarding Party better to use.

Would you expect anything less? :D

1. Ok, one time deal basically. If even one shuttle lands, the bombs are planted, but not multiple times.

2. Fair enough. Keeping it a flat level helps.

3. I feel it might be better to prevent it from critting at all. Maybe.

4. Alright, I was just curious on that particular one.

5. I don't like that it can be cleansed, I mean, in a PvP sense, because TT is EXTREMELY common, but hey, it needs some form of counter too, so, gotta give both sides a chance.

6. I could see not adding any bonus to BP 1, though perhaps add a bit more to the other two levels. Say...2% more to BP 2, and 6% more if BP 3. More payback for giving up a higher level Eng BOFF slot.

Of course, I think it is a good idea. But more questions:

Could it give debuffs? Like extra chances to knock out systems perhaps, or carry over things like APB?

Do you think it should have a damage cap? Not really because of PvP, but against NPCs, especially REALLY big HP bags like a Borg Tac Cube. I mean, even 10% of it's health out of 2 million or so is gonna be doing some HUGE numbers. Maybe...50,000 health at most?

How about an immunity period? I mean, this is basically 100% shield bleedthrough damage that unless it is cleansed, will happen no matter what. Maybe, 15 seconds or so?

Would it be affected by certain things that affect kinetic damage, like Omega Kinetic Shearing?
    I remain empathetic to the concerns of my community, but do me a favor and lay off the god damn name calling and petty remarks. It will get you nowhere.
    I must admit, respect points to Trendy for laying down the law like that.
  • Options
    angrybobhangrybobh Member Posts: 420 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I like it. I still wouldn't use it but, it would be nice to have options for a different flavor in the game.
  • Options
    temporalhavoctemporalhavoc Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Voicing approval for this idea!

I would oh so love to see some extra 'oomf' added to boarding party, to justify taking it over other powers. It's a neat skill in theory, and this DOFF idea would really improve on the concept.
    Nick - Human Tactical Officer - FED [INACTIVE]
    Tenix - Romulan Science Officer - KDF Ally [INACTIVE]
    M'ossa - Ferasan Science Officer - KDF [MAIN]

Formerly known on the forums as Remissus
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Of course, I think it is a good idea. But more questions:

Could it give debuffs? Like extra chances to knock out systems perhaps, or carry over things like APB?

Do you think it should have a damage cap? Not really because of PvP, but against NPCs, especially REALLY big HP bags like a Borg Tac Cube. I mean, even 10% of it's health out of 2 million or so is gonna be doing some HUGE numbers. Maybe...50,000 health at most?

How about an immunity period? I mean, this is basically 100% shield bleedthrough damage that unless it is cleansed, will happen no matter what. Maybe, 15 seconds or so?

Would it be affected by certain things that affect kinetic damage, like Omega Kinetic Shearing?

1. Debuffs would be interesting, but I have no idea what they would actually be.

2. Nope. I consider it a minor miracle anytime a boarding shuttle actually reaches it's target, especially with the number of AOE powers that can be thrown around nowadays. Plus it depends on your crew status. If you don't have enough active crew, you can't launch shuttles anyway.

3. I could see an immunity system being put in place, but only against other player ships, especially given how much this power could be abused in PvP.

4. Again, I don't think buffs should affect the damage. Or any debuff. But that's just my opinion.
  • Options
    kalvorax#3775 kalvorax Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    it would make sense for TT to cleanse it, as TT already cleanses BP and explosives are a tactical thing.

as for making use of BP, heh i normally get in the face of an NPC (I rarely do PvP) and launch away so they are there instantly and dont have time to get destroyed unless tons of aoe.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I find this line of replies sadly hilarious. We put a lot of work into the massive list of fixes/changes above, and ya'll are hung up on the ability to skip our content. =p
  • Options
    furiontassadarfuriontassadar Member Posts: 475 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    5. I don't like that it can be cleansed, I mean, in a PvP sense, because TT is EXTREMELY common, but hey, it needs some form of counter too, so, gotta give both sides a chance.

What about making it so that Engineering Team cleanses it instead? A tad less common than TT, and you run the risk of not having ET for a heal later on if you pop it to cleanse the BP demo charges.

The in game justification for ET cleansing the BP demo charge debuff could be that, while a Tactical Team can stop the Boarders from wreaking havoc else wise, professional Engineers are needed to actually disarm the bombs and dismantle them from sensitive equipment.
    "There will never be enough blood to wash away my need for vengeance! A single world...I could destroy a million worlds and it would not be enough! Your existence is an insult to the memory of my people! I will continue my fight, even if I must fight alone!"
  • Options
    azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    New variant of the Demolition Expert DOff.

Each use of Boarding Party (if successful) plants demolition charges inside of the enemy ship that deals 2%(white) 4%(green) 6%(blue) 8%(purple) of total health of the enemy ship as damage.

Using a percentage based on the total enemy health keeps it from being completely overpowered vs smaller craft and completely useless vs larger ones.

If used against a ship with 200k total health and a purple doff, it would deal 16,000 damage

If used against a ship with 30k total health and a purple doff, it would deal 2,400 damage.

Interesting, but not sure I like the idea of sudden damage.

But brings up an interesting parallel, instead of them boarding, why not have them perform other things like jamming sensors on the target ship or creating sensor decoys. I could see such a thing be useful in PvP against those that use FAW.
  • Options
    hunteralpha84hunteralpha84 Member Posts: 524 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Add a Transporter Officer that can make boarding parties attack by transporter instead of shuttle if the enemy shield is down, too.

I love it.

+1

Except not only when shields are down because tactical team would ruin it like it ruined torpedos.
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I like the idea and it's supported by numerous on-screen occasions and our ground engineers are quite fond of explosives as well.

A suggestion for the ongoing counter discussion: I always considered it ridiculous that every lvl 1 ability provides the same buff/debuff as the lvl 3 versions only with different numbers going, which led to the current state of the game. You never need a TT higher than 1 because you want it for the shield effect and that works with the low ability. Likewise, you never need more than HE1 since the proc is always the same and so on.

What do you think about addind only a CHANCE to cleanse debuff effects to the abilities? If you are struck with a Boarding Party III, TT I only offers a 25-50% chance of clearing the effect while only a TT III will clear the parties with a 100% chance. This would make much more sense, I'd like to see this with other abilities as well, meaning a Viral Matrix III could only be cleared with a 100% chance by a ST III, lower abilities only have a reduced chance.

This would not only make sense, but also stir up the fixed abilities people use these days :)
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Need Sapper squads with our Boarding Party Cryptic, plox.