test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Of Debuffs and Clears/Counters

mreeves7amreeves7a Member Posts: 499 Arc User
With the change to TT, ST, and ET no longer sharing CDs, STO is now in an interesting place where almost every debuff has a total counter/clear available on a far shorter CD.

To be specific: my beef with the system is that the application of debuffs/CC takes a ton of consoles and skill point investment to get the desired effects, yet the counters to many debuffs are on a very binary on/off system. There is no investment to have a good counter; it's push button, instant clear.

So, how about this:
Revamp/retool the BOff power clears/counters similar to this:

Team Powers (X values scale with skill points, Y with crew level or Aux power)
Science/Tactical/Engineering Team I:
+X All Shield Heal/Redistrobutes Shields/+X Hull
Resist Science/Tactical/Engineering Debuff Magnitude for Y seconds

Science/Tactical/Engineering Team II:
Stronger resist Science/Tactical/Engineering Debuff Magnitude for Y seconds
Clear 3 Science/Tactical/Engineering Debuffs

Science/Tactical/Engineering Team III:
Even stronger resist Science/Tactical/Engineering Debuff Magnitude for Y seconds
Clear all Science/Tactical/Engineering Debuffs

HE (X is mix of skill and Aux scaling, Y is Aux only)
Hazard Emitters I:
+X Hull Regen over 15 seconds
+X All Damage Resist for 15 seconds
Neutralizes Hazard Effects for Y seconds (i.e. plasma fire/radiation remains, but you take no damage while HE is active)

Hazard Emitters II:
Neutralizes Hazard Effects for Y seconds
Clears 1 Hazard Effect every 3 seconds

Hazard Emitters III:
Neutralizes Hazard Effects for Y seconds
Clears 1 Hazard Effect once per second

APO, A2D, and PH should have the Crowd Control/Tractor Beam immunity replaced by "Resist Crowd Control Effects/Resist Pull Effects/Resist Tractor Beams" with the effectiveness of the resist increasing with power rank (APO I, II, III, A2D I, II and PH I, II, III) and with skill points for APO and Aux power for A2D and PH.

Warp Core Cleanse DOff (Keel'el and Tiheth): keep the chances and trigger condition the same, but change it so that it randomly picks 2 of Tactical, Science, Hazard, or Engineering debuffs to cleanse.

The general idea is that the lowest level of each counter should only provide a resist, with rank 2 gives a better resist with some clear effects, and rank III is max resist buff, strong clear effects. If you have to put titanic levels of specialization into making a debuff work through passive resists, make it take a minor bit of investment to play with a proverbial "get out of debuffs free' card.

Bonus Random Thoughts:
Aceton Beam is a high rank BOff powers that's been lackluster for a very long time; instead of it being an activation/duration based debuff, why not make it work a bit like ExS? When you activate AB, it projects a beam at the target for 30 seconds (range of 7.5km, if targets leaves range and reenters range, effect reapplies), while affected by AB, target has reduced energy damage output (magnitude increases with rank) and takes X Radiation Damage based on their weapon power level.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• eyceaethereyceaether Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I thoroughly agree with this, I always thought it was strange that there seems to be no reason to use Tact/Sci/Engi Teams higher than 1. This would make it so that you actually have to make some sacrifices when it comes to survivability/damage and would mean you can't just cover every single hole while still putting out massive DPS.

P.S. - I lurk the forums a lot, been lurking for the past month and just keeping my mouth shut. That's why I only have 1 post. I'm not someone's alt, I created this account like a year ago and finally started playing in May.
    iLvL doesn't make as big of a difference as you think it does. Its module 6, get with the program.
    Whenever you're tempted to think otherwise, watch this video.
  • jaegernljaegernl Member Posts: 506 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    eyceaether wrote: »
    I thoroughly agree with this, I always thought it was strange that there seems to be no reason to use Tact/Sci/Engi Teams higher than 1. This would make it so that you actually have to make some sacrifices when it comes to survivability/damage and would mean you can't just cover every single hole while still putting out massive DPS.

P.S. - I lurk the forums a lot, been lurking for the past month and just keeping my mouth shut. That's why I only have 1 post. I'm not someone's alt, I created this account like a year ago and finally started playing in May.

But there is a reason to use something above rank 1. Science Team 3 is a pretty nifty instant shield heal and cleanser. Engineering Team 3 has a massive hull heal and cleanse. Combine it with say Aux2Sif 3 and you're a pretty potent Spike Healer.

Of course, in PvE, none of this is really needed. Better off using Lt.com eng for EptW3 and Com. Eng for Directed Energy Modulation 3 and just blow everything out of the water.
    Isaac the Adequate - Level 70 Oath of Devotion Paladin
  • shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    TT/ST/ET 2, or 3 do give a better benefit over 1.

TT 2, and 3 give a better tac buff to weapons.

ST 2, and 3 give a larger shield heal.

ET 2, and 3 give a much larger hull heal.

What more do you want?

They no longer share cd's.
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

• warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    TT/ST/ET 2, or 3 do give a better benefit over 1.

TT 2, and 3 give a better tac buff to weapons.

ST 2, and 3 give a larger shield heal.

ET 2, and 3 give a much larger hull heal.

What more do you want?

They no longer share cd's.

The OP was talking about how easy it is to clear stuff. Most esp. now with the removal of Team shared cooldowns.

From the OP:
    To be specific: my beef with the system is that the application of debuffs/CC takes a ton of consoles and skill point investment to get the desired effects, yet the counters to many debuffs are on a very binary on/off system. There is no investment to have a good counter; it's push button, instant clear.

With the current system:

A very highly specced Viral Matrix (based off Subspace Decompiler; extremely costly in skillpoints) is easily mitigated by Subsystem Repair, which is very low tiered and cheap to increase. And as expensive in the BOFF ability tiers Viral Matrix is, it is completely negated when ensign level Engineering Team 1 is used.

Drain Builds take an extremely HUGE amount of Flow Capacitors to make them worthwhile in PVP and PVE. So much dedication required that you are forsaking many other important aspects of your ship to make Drains effective. Yet Power Insulators in any small degree negates a lot of the Drain effort. Space Sets provide Power Insulator Skill bonus all over the place. Even the very high end Energy Siphon 3 and Tykien's Rift 3 are easily mitigated by the most minimal Power Insulators investment and the most humble ensign level Hazard Emitters 1 completely removes the debuff... even over the course of time while Hazard Emitters is running.

It's rather stupid that Cmdr, LtCdr skills are completely negated by Ensign level ones. It's rather stupid that said Cmdr, LtCdr skills that require some of the most expensive skillboxes are easily mitigated by the lowest skillboxes.

It's a stupid system.
    XzRTofz.gif
    edited June 2014
    That's exactly what I got from the OP's post, the ability to totally clear debuffs should be relegated to higher levels of the team abilities. It would mean people wouldn't be able to throw random points into things and get all the resistances, and it would mean using ET/TT/ST 2 or 3 would be a serious consideration instead of "more dakka".
    iLvL doesn't make as big of a difference as you think it does. Its module 6, get with the program.
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    It's a stupid system.

It's an extremely casual system for a very casual game.
    edited June 2014
    But taking his suggestion to heart would make people have to actually think about whether or not they want to survive a little longer, or just put out more Dakka! :D

If your ET1/ST1 can't remove everything it used to, and can only resist the effects for a time, you're going to have to consider giving something else up.