test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

R I P Rik Mayall

verlaine11verlaine11 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited June 2014 in Ten Forward
I don't know if many in the US will have heard of him but a lot in the UK will have

Bit of a shocker, that really is.
Massive fan of his and such a mainstay of 80s TV comedy with the Young Ones and Bottom being so funny and so brilliant
The world has just lost a huge talent and really funny bloke who has entertained people for so long
Thoughts go out to his family and friends

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-27770266

British comedian and actor Rik Mayall has died aged 56, according to his management team.

He played the obnoxious, poetry-writing anarchist Rick in The Young Ones alongside his friend Adrian Edmondson before the duo later went on to star in their sitcom Bottom.

Mayall also appeared in shows including Blackadder and The New Statesman.

He died at home in London. The Metropolitan Police said the death was not believed to be suspicious.

They said they were called to reports of a sudden death of a man in his 50s at 13:19 BST on Monday, in Barnes in south west London.

London Ambulance Service said "a man, aged in his 50s, was pronounced dead at the scene".
Post edited by verlaine11 on

Comments

• wildthyme467989wildthyme467989 Member Posts: 1,285 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    verlaine11 wrote: »
    I don't know if many in the US will have heard of him but a lot in the UK will have

Bit of a shocker, that really is.
    Massive fan of his and such a mainstay of 80s TV comedy with the Young Ones and Bottom being so funny and so brilliant
    The world has just lost a huge talent and really funny bloke who has entertained people for so long
    Thoughts go out to his family and friends

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-27770266

British comedian and actor Rik Mayall has died aged 56, according to his management team.

He played the obnoxious, poetry-writing anarchist Rick in The Young Ones alongside his friend Adrian Edmondson before the duo later went on to star in their sitcom Bottom.

Mayall also appeared in shows including Blackadder and The New Statesman.

He died at home in London. The Metropolitan Police said the death was not believed to be suspicious.

They said they were called to reports of a sudden death of a man in his 50s at 13:19 BST on Monday, in Barnes in south west London.

London Ambulance Service said "a man, aged in his 50s, was pronounced dead at the scene".

That came as something of a shock. A sad loss to the comedy world
  • coupaholiccoupaholic Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Only learned this in the last few hours, awful news.

I grew up watching Rik. As Lord Flashheart, the People's Poet and the Hammersmith Hardman. I can't believe he's gone.
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    edited June 2014
    I saw him on the BBC 2 anniversary stuff the other month.

Very depressing news :(.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • daboholicdaboholic Member Posts: 265 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I was absolutely gutted when I heard about this, he was one of my all time comedy heroes :(
  • theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,985 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Sad news, I grew up watching Blackadder, the young ones and Bottom.

He was a funny man who entertained an entire generation

These are some of his funniest moments

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzWYfIBkHHs
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
      edited June 2014
      i think i remember seeing something on him in years past. il likely have to see it up on yout if such comedy exists on there. they have dads army, so i would assume yes. anyways, our comedy back in the day was second to none in the world and we did it well.. what ever happened to that lovely humor we brits lost over the decades since, too bad one of the better ones is not with us any longer.
      T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
      Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
    • wildthyme467989wildthyme467989 Member Posts: 1,285 Arc User
      edited June 2014
      i think i remember seeing something on him in years past. il likely have to see it up on yout if such comedy exists on there. they have dads army, so i would assume yes. anyways, our comedy back in the day was second to none in the world and we did it well.. what ever happened to that lovely humor we brits lost over the decades since, too bad one of the better ones is not with us any longer.

They have quite a few (probably all) episodes of The New Statesman on Youtube, some of the Bottom Live shows in full as well
    • lomax6996lomax6996 Member Posts: 512 Arc User
      edited June 2014
      He will be (is already) severely missed! I'm a born and raised Texan but have been a HUGE fan of his for decades. The Young Ones is still a favorite of mine (and introduced me to Madness... a fave 80's band). Sorry to see you log off, buddy... guess you have other games to attend to. I know you'll be loved there just as here :cool:
      *STO* It’s mission: To destroy strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations... and then kill them, to boldly annihilate what no one has annihilated before!
    • prierinprierin Member Posts: 7 Arc User
      edited June 2014
      Was just watching Blackadder recently, loving his Lord Flasheart (WOOF!)

Used to watch the Young Ones a lot, too... he will be missed terribly. :(
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
      You will forever be missed and never forgotten.