test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

daily timers

johnthomas00johnthomas00 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
Now I know that normally it's not nice to compare different MMO's and games against each other since they are different, but I think that compareing features can sometimes help. Cryptic's other MMO Neverwinter also has dailies and weeky quests and missions for the players to do BUT unlike STO the timers are set to renew not based on 20 hour limits on when the player completed/started the mission but instead they renew each day around 8am est with weekies resetting on Monday. This makes doing dailies SSSOOOO much easier then doing them in STO. You don't have to think about what time of day you did the mission last to remember about when you can do it again, just that it resets at 8 am est (or whatever that is in your timezone). I really wish STO would convert the daily timers we have to that system. It would make life so much easier.

I know that has probably been brought up before, but I hadn't seen it so please no ( oh not this dead horse thing again) please.
Post edited by johnthomas00 on

Comments

• darramouss1darramouss1 Member Posts: 1,811 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    DAILY timers based on a set 24 hour period makes sense. Basing them on a 20 hour period from when you last did it makes none.

Still, Cryptic is good at demonstrating that common sense is uncommon.
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    20 hour instead of 24 hour limits allow the player to do things more often than they would with a 24 hour limit. A player that is interested and motivated can move up the 4 hours each day, rather than being limited to once a day.

If remembering when you last did a mission is difficult, one might decide to make note of when they did it - or - perhaps start a DOFF assignment with a similar duration. Perhaps one could put forth the argument to have countdowns for all such 20 hour limits rather than just some of them. That would make it easier to keep track (even though there are so many ways to keep track already) for some...without removing the ability for those that are interested, motivated, and capable of keeping track of time from being able to complete various things faster.
  • silverserasilversera Member Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Oh yes of course having the reset happens at a chosen time of the day would be so much better, I mean imagine that! We could chose the absolutly perfect time that would be super conveniant for the OP! An entire game system disigned just for him!
    Of course STO is a world wide game with a single server for everyone so your fixed reset would end up being at the worse possible time of the day for thousands other people but really, who care about that? certainly not Mr OP who didn't think about anyone but his own petty self by making this selfish whine thread.

As for the first answer, oh man Darramouss1 is not selfish oh no he is not, he is just incredibly clueless , how could anyone make a statement as TRIBBLE as " 24 hour cooldown makes more sense than 20 hours cooldown" and not realize the absolutly enormous level of stupidity contained in that claim, It's just hard to believe.

I mean seriously a 10 year old could figure out why a 20 hour cooldown makes a tons more sens than a 24 hour one, but i'll be nice and explain:

THE COOLDOWN IS 20 HOURS AND NOT 24 HOURS SO THAT DOING YOUR DAILYS LATE ONE DAY DOESN'T FORCE YOU TO DO THEM LATE EVERYDAY THEREAFTER OR SKIP ONE DAY TO GET BACK ON SCHEDULE!!!!!!!!!

grraaawwww people!!! this is basic commun sense, this design was never chosen to allow no life adicted gamers a chance to do their daily event once every 20 hours exactly and get their grind ship in 21 day instead of the normal 25 that's just a side effect. The 20 hours cooldown was put in for adult with a job and a familly who can't always do their daily at the exact same time every day.
    Just chose a 4 hour window, say betwen 8 PM and midnight and as long as you do you daily during that time window you can maintain that shedule ad vitam eternam, how bllody hard a concept is that to grasp?

thank god the devs of this game have more foresight than these forumite
    edited June 2014
    silversera wrote: »
    Oh yes of course having the reset happens at a chosen time of the day would be so much better, I mean imagine that! We could chose the absolutly perfect time that would be super conveniant for the OP! An entire game system disigned just for him!
    Of course STO is a world wide game with a single server for everyone so your fixed reset would end up being at the worse possible time of the day for thousands other people but really, who care about that? certainly not Mr OP who didn't think about anyone but his own petty self by making this selfish whine thread.

As for the first answer, oh man Darramouss1 is not selfish oh no he is not, he is just incredibly clueless , how could anyone make a statement as TRIBBLE as " 24 hour cooldown makes more sense than 20 hours cooldown" and not realize the absolutly enormous level of stupidity contained in that claim, It's just hard to believe.

I mean seriously a 10 year old could figure out why a 20 hour cooldown makes a tons more sens than a 24 hour one, but i'll be nice and explain:

THE COOLDOWN IS 20 HOURS AND NOT 24 HOURS SO THAT DOING YOUR DAILYS LATE ONE DAY DOESN'T FORCE YOU TO DO THEM LATE EVERYDAY THEREAFTER OR SKIP ONE DAY TO GET BACK ON SCHEDULE!!!!!!!!!

grraaawwww people!!! this is basic commun sense, this design was never chosen to allow no life adicted gamers a chance to do their daily event once every 20 hours exactly and get their grind ship in 21 day instead of the normal 25 that's just a side effect. The 20 hours cooldown was put in for adult with a job and a familly who can't always do their daily at the exact same time every day.
    Just chose a 4 hour window, say betwen 8 PM and midnight and as long as you do you daily during that time window you can maintain that shedule ad vitam eternam, how bllody hard a concept is that to grasp?

thank god the devs of this game have more foresight than these forumite

I think you need to take a deep breath or you're going to have blood pressure issues.

Yes, there are benfits to a 20 hour system, but I note that you conveniently neglect to mention any form of benefit to a true daily system. Such as:

- I usually play at night time but I'm out to dinner with my wife and friends and won't be able to tonight. I know, I'll quickly do that before I go to work. I'm able to do that because I'm not restricted by a 20 hour system.

- I'm on night shift this week and today (Sunday) I have sports commitments when I usually play. As a result I'll be doing my dailies later in the day. Lucky it's a true daily system as a 20 hour system would have prevented me from doing it before my sports commitment and it would have counted down when I was at work on Monday night, meaning I miss out.

Example like this and many others I can think of show that a true daily system is not a detriment to people with families. In fact, I would put it to you that it's even more family friendly. It allows you to do your tasks earlier in a day to accommodate a family, not force you to do it later and later and later if you're going to be busy with family commitments when the 20 hour timer runs down.

In regards to when the daily clock starts and when it finishes, I'm sure Cryptic would be able to detect where you're playing and make your timer reset at midnight in your timezone. If they couldn't , well, then I think they should look for new careers.
  • johnthomas00johnthomas00 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Now I wasn't saying pick a time that is good for me, I was just pointing out that remembering one time that never changes might be easier, but I see that I am not a majority so it's cool. :) I was just wondering if I was the only one thinking it. This was NOT a "Devs need to change this for me" thread and if it came off that way than I'm sorry. It was more of a "what do you guys think" about it. Again if the bulk like the 20 hour timer so you can get more done than hey leave it the way it is and I will just continue to deal with it. It's all good.
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    If you lose a day with a 24 hour system, you lose the day. If you lose a day with a 20 hour system, you can make it up in 6 days.
  • rothan117rothan117 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I agree with the OP that a fixed reset time each day is preferable, I have played under both systems and I find the STO 20 hour system much more inconvenient to work with since I do not log in the same time each day, it can be late one day, early the next, meaning I miss a day of doing dailies. A fixed reset time means I can do it each day regardless of my schedule.
  • erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I think there was a misunderstanding. This thread is not about 24h CD after you did the daily, but set reset time every 24 hours.

For example, every day at midnight GMT, everyone daily CD are reset. Even if you did the daily 5minutes before.

And yes, I agree, it's so much better than what we currently have. Unless for a small minority that will wake up very late/soon in the night just to do a daily in STO, and try to "earn" a day by doing them exactly 20h later every day.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • krrjakrrja Member Posts: 61 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Same time every 24 hours? Probably not a good idea as STO servers are set up differently than Neverwinters. Imagine the effect of everyone logging in during the same four hour period to run their dailies? By using a 20 hour cycle, STO spreads out the number of players logged in at any given time and also provides that players tend to be logged in more often, a win win for PWE.
    edited June 2014
    In regards to when the daily clock starts and when it finishes, I'm sure Cryptic would be able to detect where you're playing and make your timer reset at midnight in your timezone. If they couldn't , well, then I think they should look for new careers.
    krrja wrote: »
    Same time every 24 hours? Probably not a good idea as STO servers are set up differently than Neverwinters. Imagine the effect of everyone logging in during the same four hour period to run their dailies? By using a 20 hour cycle, STO spreads out the number of players logged in at any given time and also provides that players tend to be logged in more often, a win win for PWE.

/ten chars
  • erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    krrja wrote: »
    Why would they log at the same time in a 4h period ? A 24h fixed cooldown reset mean you have 24h between each CD to do your dailies. And US/Eu/Asia doesn't have the same timezone at all.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,572 Arc User
    edited June 2014

Now that my eardrums are busted.

You mean like the Epohh missions which stupidly run on the 24 hour cycle?

Dilithium refining resets every day at 5 PM PDT.

Lord of the Rings Online resets their daily timers at 2 AM EDT.

I guess there must be plethora of lazy idiots in this world.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • alexvio1alexvio1 Member Posts: 389 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I really wish STO would convert the daily timers we have to that system.

If you want it then you are probably an idiot. With the current system I can do things often than 1 time per 24h. Do you want to nerf it?
  • realwildblurealwildblu Member Posts: 75 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    alexvio1 wrote: »
    If you want it then you are probably an idiot. With the current system I can do things often than 1 time per 24h. Do you want to nerf it?

Please include me on your idiot list. With the current system, I lose an occasional day since I have real-world obligations that don't allow for the flexible schedule that I had as a college student. With a standard reset time, I could run a daily at my convenience.

I support this "nerf"!
  • talon2000uktalon2000uk Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I personally like the 20 hours system. What I don't like is the 24 hour system we have now for things like Epohs, Birds eggs and Monkeys.

These things get later and later every day because with a life I find it impossible to log in at exactly the same time each day to run these.

If they could be switch to 20 hours like all the other daily quests then I for one would be a very very happy captain. :D
  • johnthomas00johnthomas00 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    alexvio1 wrote: »

I am hardly an idiot. With the current system if I do it at night than I can't do it say, in the morning. What happens if I can't do it the next night? I miss until the following day because it completely locks me out for 20 hours. Now as I said BEFORE if the BULK of the players like the 20 hour timer than that's cool, but do not assume I am a idiot or a fool. There are GOOD reasons for a 24-hour daily reset system that other games use as well. Such as the ones that people have laid out.

I didn't think people would become so... let's say "zealous" over this and I was again curious about people's ideas and not trying to start a flaming war with people slinging insults at each other so freely.