What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Tribble FAQ - Tribble Breeding for Fun and, well, Loss

1565758596062»

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited April 2012
    Gagravarr wrote:
    I'm not absolutely sure about this, but in my experience just 2 tribbles eat (and breed) per hour. So to build your carcass grinder, you need 2 normal tribbles, a stack of food and 1 cannibal in that order. This worked for me. So one of the normal tribbles will reproduce and one of the three will be eaten by the cannibal. Theoretically this would work with just 1 normal tribble too, but if the cannibal eats first, the chain is stopped.

That's what I'm wondering. Because with two tribbles you'll soon have a Tribble infested bank.

Now I carried out a test.
    I put 4 Random cheap Tribbles from the exchange in the Bank, along with 4 MRE's and 4 Cannibals. They did seem to fire in the order I suggested above.

HOWEVER: Some thing weird has happened.
    I had the correct number of carcasses, yet I had % Normal Tribbles and 3 MRE's left after the breeding cycle.
    edited April 2012
    I dont know if its been mentioned, I didnt see it listed in the tribble breed chart but apparently I have a new breed of tribble that others I have asked never seen or heard of. Its called the Gamma quadrant tribble. Apparently it requires 5 to 6 ketracel white before one will breed. Maybe its already known and the people I asked werent into tribble breeding but I thought it was interesting. I didnt think the tribbles would do ketracel and breed considering it has a health reduction to humans and other species other than Jem's that consume it.
    edited April 2012
    milner62 wrote:
    I dont know if its been mentioned, I didnt see it listed in the tribble breed chart but apparently I have a new breed of tribble that others I have asked never seen or heard of. Its called the Gamma quadrant tribble. Apparently it requires 5 to 6 ketracel white before one will breed. Maybe its already known and the people I asked werent into tribble breeding but I thought it was interesting. I didnt think the tribbles would do ketracel and breed considering it has a health reduction to humans and other species other than Jem's that consume it.
    Breeding the 'Gamma Quadrant' Tribble is more consistent if you use a higher quality Tribble. I used a 'Purple' quality Tribble (I believe it was a 'Crossfire') with 1 Refined Ketracel White and produced one on the first try...

'Gamma Quadrant' Tribbles are 'Bind on Pickup' and cannot be sold or transferred...
    edited April 2012
    Breeding the 'Gamma Quadrant' Tribble is more consistent if you use a higher quality Tribble. I used a 'Purple' quality Tribble (I believe it was a 'Crossfire') with 1 Refined Ketracel White and produced one on the first try...

'Gamma Quadrant' Tribbles are 'Bind on Pickup' and cannot be sold or transferred...

The one I bred by total accident took 5 - 6 Ketracel White cause I had it was either 6 or 7 stacked Ketracel White I placed in the bank and one of the Tribbles got it, I have a few white common tribbles but I have been breeding for the purple quality. Just wished I didnt have to buy another row of bank spaces. I have alot of ship weapons I could get rid of but most of them are bound MK X and higher and I just dont think my antiproton borg phaser banks and dual beam arrays are cutting it on dishing the damage out.
    edited April 2012
    Any tribble + 1 Ketracell white --> Gamma Quadrant Tribble (but just 1 per char, as it is unique)
    edited April 2012
    Gagravarr wrote:
    Any tribble + 1 Ketracell white --> Gamma Quadrant Tribble (but just 1 per char, as it is unique)

I understand that. I am just saying mine apparently took more than one. I had it was either 6 or 7 Ketracel White, and I logged in the next day and I just had 1 left and had an additional tribble, a Gamma Quadrant tribble. I dont know what happened all I know is I was missing between 5 and 6 Ketracel White which I was trying to stock pile to sell on the exchange.
    edited April 2012
    As the Gamma Quadrant Tribble is unique, you won't get more than one. It's possible that the tribbles continued to eat your Ketracel White, but obviously you won't get another Gamma Quadrant Tribble. It's strange that you didn't at least get 5 or 6 white tribbles though.
    edited April 2012
    Streakfury wrote: »
    As the Gamma Quadrant Tribble is unique, you won't get more than one. It's possible that the tribbles continued to eat your Ketracel White, but obviously you won't get another Gamma Quadrant Tribble. It's strange that you didn't at least get 5 or 6 white tribbles though.

Thats what has me thinking wait a min. If it takes just one Ketracel White, what happened to the rest of my little stock pile I just started. Its no real big deal to me though, I dont use the stuff and I dont think there is a use. I make enough EC selling the rare and very rare tribbles along with selling the Mk X and higher rare and very rare tech.
    edited May 2012
    milner62 wrote:
    Thats what has me thinking wait a min. If it takes just one Ketracel White, what happened to the rest of my little stock pile I just started. Its no real big deal to me though, I dont use the stuff and I dont think there is a use. I make enough EC selling the rare and very rare tribbles along with selling the Mk X and higher rare and very rare tech.

Ketrecel White can be used as a consumable for the Jem'Hadar BOffs
  • gerinomogerinomo Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    the info was very helpful thanks for it. this is a article ALL tribble breeders should read:smile::smile::smile:
  • startrekshhhilenstartrekshhhilen Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Excuse me, but why would the primary way of getting tribbles be breeding, when you dont have a tribble yet! :eek:
  • tribblequeentribblequeen Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Tribbles are extremely cheap in the exchange, and you can get them from missions easily, also this post is missing this:

http://yumene.subspace-radio.net/img/tribble.png

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    STO Member Since November 2010 | Tribbles are Friends NOT Food!
  • xkarnoviaxxkarnoviax Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2012
    Due to the forum limitation of 11,000 characters, this FAQ has to be split up into multiple posts. This sub-FAQ is on Tribble Sub-Species, or Breeds. Other sections are linked here for quick reference:

Primary FAQ
    Tribble Powers
    Tribble Breeds (you are here)

If you are interested in sharing info about tribbles, please join the in-game channel TribbleInfo, as well as posting what you discover in this thread. Please be as specific as you can about the circumstances, as we're still not sure what all the variables are.

Other Useful links:
    IfniLuck's Guide to Tribbles: IfnLuck was the first person to publicly organize a food and breed cross-reference chart, and as of this writing still the most informative.
    STO-Intel's wiki page on Tribbles: Currently mostly info cobbled from other sources, but the format might be easier to use for some people.
    The_MadTom's Tribble Breeding Table: The_MadTom has a differently-organized google doc, a spreadsheet that may be more useful for certain purposes

Breeds

The following sub-species (or breeds) of tribble are known, organized for now by their activatable power.
    Format:
    Genus species sub-species "Color" (color clarification, pattern details, etc.)

Healing:
    (¯)Polygeminus grex susilo "White" (almost radiant white, HTML "ghostwhite")
    (¯)Polygeminus grex stahl "Cream" (under magnification, may be a flecked mix of White and Tan; HTML "moccasin" (used here) or "antiquewhite")
    (¯)Polygeminus grex sparkes "Tan" (a light brown, khaki; HTML "burlywood" (used here), "peru", or "tan")
    (¯)Polygeminus grex dotson "Brown" (a medium-dark brown, milk chocolate; HTML "saddlebrown")
    (¯)Polygeminus grex thompson "Black" (probably actually a very dark brown, dark chocolate; HTML "black" is not a good match but there isn't anything closer)
    (¯)Polygeminus grex vitales "Gray" (pale cool gray; HTML "lightgray" used here, but better match pending)
    Polygeminus grex tuffli "Cream with Brown Stripes" (original description, and probably the way most people think of it; under magnification, it may actually be Brown with a broad equatorial Cream stripe and several large Cream spots. One could argue that the pale color is Tan rather than Cream, but in comparison to jasperson and nix under magnification, the pale color is distinctly lighter here. This may well be the "mutt" breed result, with middling colors and a mix of stripes and spots)

(Damage) Resistance Buff:
    Polygeminus grex nix "Brown with large Tan spots" (spots are approximately circular, and arranged in what may be an approximately cubic (or dodecahedral) vertex pattern)
    Polygeminus grex stacy "Black with multiple small White spots" (from Demonical_3, confirmed by Dakirn and Nack)

Damage Buff:
    Polygeminus grex jasperson "Tan with single equatorial Brown stripe"
    Polygeminus grex mccary "Tan with Brown spots" (from Adeon_Hawkwood)
    Polygeminus grex cavallaro "White with Black spiral stripe" (alternatively Black with White Z pattern, the 3D pattern appears to be a white "polar cap" top and bottom, with a diagonal stripe or ring between them; from IfniLuck)
    Polygeminus grex vitales [sic] "Ttruncated icosahedron (soccer ball) pattern; Orange faces with Red "seams"; single medium Brown spot in each face" (Some also describe it as an "eyeball" pattern. This appears to be a bug or naming error, a very rare type with the same name as a common type. Currently being described as "vitales-snail" on the forums until we get an official name fix. Reported by Snailelin, confirmed by Profetius Eteus)

Regeneration Buff:
    Polygeminus grex deangelo "Black with White spiral stripe" (alternatively White with Black Z pattern; the 3D pattern appears to be a dark "polar cap" top and bottom, with a diagonal stripe or ring between them; from IfniLuck)
    Polygeminus grex henry "Brown with single equatorial Tan stripe" (reported on exchange by Snicker, confirmed by Dakirn)
    Polygeminus grex highison "Light Purple with double-zigzag Dark Purple stripes" (reported by Troglis)

Multiple Effects:
    Polygeminus grex mattson " "Orange with multiple zigzag Dark Purple stripes" (alternatively vice-versa; from Demonical_3, confirmed by nmdrkangl and Troglis); Damage Buff + Regeneration Buff
    Polygeminus grex rivera "?golden/orange with blue halo fur?"; Resistance Buff + Regeneration Buff + Combat Skill Buff (?) (reported as the pre-order tribble; from Mockingbird)

Unknown:
    Polygeminus grex howe "White with multiple small Black spots" (reported on exchange by Zacuis, confirmed by Dakirn)
    Polygeminus grex ricossa "Orange with multiple small Dark Purple spots" (from Dakirn)
    Polygeminus grex griffis "Dark Purple with multiple White rings" (alternatively, Dark Purple with large White spots which each contain a small Dark Purple spot; from Dakirn)

Please post any info you have on new breeds, or further details on the above breeds.

Last updated 2010-02-09, with info from Live (Holodeck)
    i have a tribble i have not seen listed in any of the links you have mentioned. its a rare gamma quadrant tribble that gives a damage buff against domminion as well as a perceptiona nd stealth buff
  • gonzo86gonzo86 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I'm not sure if this has been answered before in this thread, search is unclear.
    But, I'm trying to breed in all my Boff inventories as well, however it doesnt seem to work. Do the tribbles only breed while "out in the open" I mean have to take the boffs on mission to get them to breed, or is it not possible to breed in Boff inventories?

The STOwiki said it should work...
  • blackjackwidowblackjackwidow Member Posts: 572 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    gonzo86 wrote: »
    I'm not sure if this has been answered before in this thread, search is unclear.
    But, I'm trying to breed in all my Boff inventories as well, however it doesnt seem to work. Do the tribbles only breed while "out in the open" I mean have to take the boffs on mission to get them to breed, or is it not possible to breed in Boff inventories?

The STOwiki said it should work...

Used to work, but now the only way to breed them is on your character (which is easier to keep controlled), or in your inventory. You can 'store' food on your BOffs, but their equipped tribbles will not eat them.

Aliella Hawklight, Divine Oracle Devoted Cleric
    "Whenever a time arises where clarity is desired, it is always wise to reflect on the sage within."
    ― Sereda Aleta Dailey

DaiMon Moogie, U.S.S. Acquisition
    Rule of Acquisition #57: Good customers are as rare as latinum. Treasure them.

STO LTS since launch; NW player since 2014; ARC user - only when I have to put in codes for free stuff :)
  • blackjackwidowblackjackwidow Member Posts: 572 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    xkarnoviax wrote: »
    i have a tribble i have not seen listed in any of the links you have mentioned. its a rare gamma quadrant tribble that gives a damage buff against domminion as well as a perceptiona nd stealth buff

The StoWiki Guide is a good place to learn about tribble breeding:
    http://www.stowiki.org/Guide:_Tribble_Breeding

The Gamma Quadrant Tribble comes from breeding any tribble Ketracel White (the food, not the GQ commodity "unrefined ketracel white"). The StoWiki Guide doesn't seem to list it separately, but the Tribble Breeding Chart there does.

Aliella Hawklight, Divine Oracle Devoted Cleric
    "Whenever a time arises where clarity is desired, it is always wise to reflect on the sage within."
    ― Sereda Aleta Dailey

DaiMon Moogie, U.S.S. Acquisition
    Rule of Acquisition #57: Good customers are as rare as latinum. Treasure them.

STO LTS since launch; NW player since 2014; ARC user - only when I have to put in codes for free stuff :)
  • relsharrelshar Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I wondered where my brandy went when I bought some for a diplomatic assignment. I have a backpack full of Tribbles and wondered what good they are for other than a 1 second buff.

Great got to head back and buy that brandy again.
  • powerpie1234powerpie1234 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Just wanted to post to say thanks for the thread, Tribble breeding is so much fun when I'm not doing anything :D
  • taisha09taisha09 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Just be carefull when leaving tribbles alone with expensive food. :)
  • mictacmictac Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Heh i didnt even know they multiplied thought i was crazy i logged off with like 3 tribbles logged back on i had like 12 of the suckers was like wth? asked around and yeah i wasnt crazy lol.
  • balikarganbalikargan Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Created my character back when this thread was first started... Stopped playing for a couple years... Game became F2P and my girlfriend started playing, hence I started playing again... Went digging through my inventory and finally got back to finishing my Tribble breeding and found this thread that was started back when I was first doing my tribble breeding.. Pretty Funny...:D
  • rzkysyzrzkysyz Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    hi.. newb here. just starting playing a few days a go.

i saw the tribble powers page. but i'm still not sold. just how important is tribble for the overall gameplay? does it offers significant benefit in combat?
  • bonzaibob22bonzaibob22 Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Been having problems breeding Gamma Quadrant Tribbles since season 9 went live. Haven't been successful yet. The only thing that happens is that the ketracel disappears and no GQTribble. :(
  • gunny338#2712 gunny338 Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    Sorry , gotta bug out in a sec. Haven't read everything before posting this. One thing I noticed with tribbles I'm trying to breed is this.

They tend to breed while in ongoing battle. One such battle I was in was Dyson space where I had 5 popped(quick way).
    Other is the remain on your character for an hr(sometimes pop).

Been in the game since 2015 and so enjoy breeding these creatures to feed to my cannibal!! lol
    "The acquisition of wealth is no longer the driving force of our lives.
    We work to better ourselves and the rest of humanity"

Captain Jean Luc Picard