test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Counter-Command Covariant Shield Array needs a buff

marthitamarthita Member Posts: 55 Arc User
For those who may not have seen its stats, here it is:
http://tinypic.com/r/ndjtk6/8

Now I kind of get why it was left with such bad stats when I saw all the rest of the set parts have all sorts of bonuses to weapons and engines in order to entice people to get the set, but the shield was left as the odd man out.

I was personally looking to only use the shield in my build, but after seeing how bad the weapons drain proc is, I decided not to. Why is it bad? Because, uniquely from every single other drain proc/ability in the game (yes, it is the only one), the drain doesn't scale with flow caps.

Now, maybe they were worried about too much drain, but a -10 weapons drain with a 2.5% chance is a drop in the bucket, specially when you're fighting against DEM+Marion FAW spewing ships in PvP. That -10 drain turns into -7 to -5 against most other players since it takes very little PI skill investment to cut drains.

Now, if you're so worried about drain creep, may I suggest a slight improvement to the proc?
Weapons drain = (0.0429*Flow Caps) + 10

What is this in real numbers?
FC = Drain
000 = 10
070 = 13
140 = 16
210 = 19
280 = 22

Still pretty bad in my eyes, but at least it would feel better as something that I have to invest dilithium and marks in order to obtain.

Yes, PvP playing folk sometimes call for buffs to stuff, it's not all X is OP plz nerf.
Post edited by marthita on

Comments

• shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    marthita wrote: »
    For those who may not have seen its stats, here it is:
    http://tinypic.com/r/ndjtk6/8

Now I kind of get why it was left with such bad stats when I saw all the rest of the set parts have all sorts of bonuses to weapons and engines in order to entice people to get the set, but the shield was left as the odd man out.

I was personally looking to only use the shield in my build, but after seeing how bad the weapons drain proc is, I decided not to. Why is it bad? Because, uniquely from every single other drain proc/ability in the game (yes, it is the only one), the drain doesn't scale with flow caps.

Now, maybe they were worried about too much drain, but a -10 weapons drain with a 2.5% chance is a drop in the bucket, specially when you're fighting against DEM+Marion FAW spewing ships in PvP. That -10 drain turns into -7 to -5 against most other players since it takes very little PI skill investment to cut drains.

Now, if you're so worried about drain creep, may I suggest a slight improvement to the proc?
    Weapons drain = (0.0429*Flow Caps) + 10

What is this in real numbers?
    FC = Drain
    000 = 10
    070 = 13
    140 = 16
    210 = 19
    280 = 22

Still pretty bad in my eyes, but at least it would feel better as something that I have to invest dilithium and marks in order to obtain.

Yes, PvP playing folk sometimes call for buffs to stuff, it's not all X is OP plz nerf.

They can always make a change to it at some point, but outside of the set bonuses it may have, the shield array is awful to begin with.
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

• cybermuddcybermudd Member Posts: 51 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Because, uniquely from every single other drain proc/ability in the game (yes, it is the only one), the drain doesn't scale with flow caps.

The MACO shield does not benefit from flow caps.

http://sto.gamepedia.com/M.A.C.O._(Space)#section_3
  • marthitamarthita Member Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    They can always make a change to it at some point, but outside of the set bonuses it may have, the shield array is awful to begin with.

A better weapons drain proc would make up for how awful it is, but only on certain builds. Those certain builds are usually awful in the defense department anyway, so the proc would compensate a bit for that. I think this proc was a huge oversight because it is the first time a proc like this doesn't scale at all.

Frankly, in my eyes, the optimal equation for that proc that would make it a useful shield would be:
    Drain = (0.1*Flow Caps) + 10

I posted a watered down version in my OP because I know the devs might be acting overly careful even if they are never careful about adding more DPS into the game, but like keeping sci under control like what they did with the GW fix/nerf a while ago because of the dreaded 5 frigate test.
    cybermudd wrote: »
    The MACO shield does not benefit from flow caps.

http://sto.gamepedia.com/M.A.C.O._(Space)#section_3

The MACO shield doesn't have a chance attached to it and it gives +10 power to all subsystems. Great only for people that can't afford the leech console or that have builds with extremely low or zero flow caps.
  • shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    A better weapons drain proc would make up for how awful it is, but only on certain builds. Those certain builds are usually awful in the defense department anyway, so the proc would compensate a bit for that. I think this proc was a huge oversight because it is the first time a proc like this doesn't scale at all.

Frankly, in my eyes, the optimal equation for that proc that would make it a useful shield would be:
    Drain = (0.1*Flow Caps) + 10

I posted a watered down version in my OP because I know the devs might be acting overly careful even if they are never careful about adding more DPS into the game, but like keeping sci under control like what they did with the GW fix/nerf a while ago because of the dreaded 5 frigate test.

The MACO shield doesn't have a chance attached to it and it gives +10 power to all subsystems. Great only for people that can't afford the leech console or that have builds with extremely low or zero flow caps.

Well the biggest goof they made besides only the -10wp, is the 2.5% proc chance on being hit.

I mean you would have to be swiss cheese, to get any actual use out of the proc at all, let alone the tiny drain it has, but this seems to be the norm when it comes to shield array procs.
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!