test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Good Ground Engery Weapons for BOs?

tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
edited June 2014 in Federation Discussion
Blasters suck, so I avoid those... but what about the mini guns?

Or should I stick to the pulsewaves, tri (split) beams or the heavy beam rifles?

What about Assault Rifles?

I try to avoid hand guns thou since the dmg appears lower than the rifles.

and for the tri beams... if there is only 1 or 2 targets... do the extra beams hit them or do you loose the extra beam dmg?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    revandarklighterrevandarklighter Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    tigeraries wrote: »
    Blasters suck, so I avoid those... but what about the mini guns?

Or should I stick to the pulsewaves, tri (split) beams or the heavy beam rifles?

What about Assault Rifles?

I try to avoid hand guns thou since the dmg appears lower than the rifles.

and for the tri beams... if there is only 1 or 2 targets... do the extra beams hit them or do you loose the extra beam dmg?

My opinion: as much AOE as possible.
    Exploit weapons do not make sense for BOs (since they can't purposely use it) unless they are split beam, those hit by accident often enough.

Miniguns are okey (I usually have one BO equipped with one for vanity) full auto rifles are probably the best choice, dual pistols work, pulse waves work. Thats about it, everything else should just end on a BO for storage.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    If it's a boff I want to stay away from enemies, I might go with a sniper rifle.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    yargomeshyargomesh Member Posts: 179 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    For effectiveness, you'll want to give them weapons that expose a lot so you have plenty opportunities to use exploit shots since they won't capitalize on it as much as you will.

Then it depends on if you're fighting the Borg, in which strong, small numbers of hit weapons will be better so they don't have to remodulate/fail to remodulate often. (Pulsewaves, blast assaults, sniper rifles etc.)

Personally, I fit mine out to match their 'roles' in my party. My sci medic has a stun pistol, my sci offense reman has dual pistols, my eng has a minigun/blast assault rifle and my support tac has an assault/pulsewave rifle. (I rarely do ground so this is just what I remember from last looking at them for some Voth ground battlezone schenanigans.)

For split beam yes you do lose out on the multiple beams if there are only a few targets, but those shots are slightly stronger anyway (plus they're an exploit shot.) They were my weapon of choice before getting the jem'hadar and rep sets and even then they're a great ground weapon.
  • Options
    snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Bat'Leths.

To quote Godzilla ... "Let them fight!"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Bat'Leths.

To quote Godzilla ... "Let them fight!"

No sorry but they suck... hell melee for BOs suck. They stand around and do next to nothing and run back and forth between target and myself. Yeah I thought it would be cool to have em all go up close and personal while I stay back and snipe... LOL
  • Options
    guriphuguriphu Member Posts: 494 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Lots of on-hit effects, particularly Exposes.

Full Autos are nice because they're an AoE expose with five ticks and high base dps. Excellent at all levels. Recommended version: Voth Antiproton, for the stacking damage debuff proc, with a [kb3] modifier... at least, as long as you have a source of high crit chance for your BOff. If you can't push his crit chance over 10% you're better off with Phaser, Polaron, or Disruptor. Dual pistols and miniguns fill a similar role.

Stun pistols are pretty good for exposes, with two expose ticks on a short cooldown, and they have the stun, of course. Cheap, thematic, widely available, and effective. Lack of AoE is a drawback, but the stun effect helps make up for that. A strong contender for leveling or a newly minted level 50, especially if you're having survivability problems (if an enemy is stunned, he's not beating your skull in with a batleth). Recommended version: polaron, for the weapon malfunction proc, or Romulan Plasma for the dual proc, with a [kb3] modifier.

Pulsewaves have a pretty good knockback, but only one expose tick, and terrible damage except when used intelligently by a player. Decent, better than a Wide Beam because of the knockdown, but not great. Pulsewaves fire too slowly for procs to be a major factor, just give them whatever you aren't using. Blast assaults fill a similar role.

The lobi store wrist lance does most of its work with on-hit effects and is an AoE expose. Very expensive, but if you have one and aren't using it, putting it on a DOff will let you get most of its utility without all the drawbacks of a slow-firing weapon.

The Voth rep rifle has an Expose on the primary, an Expose on the secondary, and on the occasion that your BOff ends up using an Exploit attack with the alternate secondary, it'll always hit an Exposed target and it has a knockback attached, so it's not nearly as much of a waste as normal. No extra on-hits, unless your BOff has a decent crit chance (for instance, if you're a tac running Rally Cry and Strike Team, with an Omega 3set on the team)... at which point its on-crit proc is actually pretty significant. Definitely the most expensive of the bunch, but worth considering if you're swimming in marks, or if you just have a Voth rifle lying around that you aren't using.

Borg sets are always nice for the 3piece bonus, particularly the Omega set bonus, if you're not using it yourself. The Omega gun, being a full auto with a great on-hit proc, is a fantastic BOff gun.

The BOffs themselves should ideally have +Expose Chance traits (Superior Telepathic is ah-may-zing) to maximize the effectiveness of their expose weapons.

The nice thing about outfitting BOffs is that their guns don't need to be high mark purples to be effective - they're doing most of their work with on-hit effects, not damage. The right mk11 green will be nearly as effective as a mk12 purple, and you can probably get it for 10k EC on the exchange. Likewise for leveling... you can keep your BOffs equipped with a steady stream of cheap vendortrash stun pistols and full autos as you level up
  • Options
    questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,328 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Romulan flamethrower, Ghostbuster gun, splitbeam rifle and TOS rifle all work pretty good with Boffs.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    captainoblivouscaptainoblivous Member Posts: 2,284 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    As has been said by more than one person in this thread already, AOE AOE AOE! Boffs are no good for handling exploit weapons due to the rather poor AI. They are far more useful causing expose effects for you to exploit.

For me, it's generally full auto rifles of various energy types for the boffs, with a slight bias towards polaron due to the weapon malfunction procs. If you really can't bear the thought of rifles then a wide beam pistol will do.
    Why these and not miniguns? Simply because there is no delay when activating the expose attack of the full auto or the wide beam, while the minigun has a spin up time.

For my character, I pretty much always go with a split beam weapon and the omega weapon. Omega is to do exposes on team content where I can't have boffs, while the split beam is for the exploits. Oh, and the split beam can (afaik) exploit 3 exposed enemies at the same time and lacks the "spool up" time of the sniper rifle though the sniper does have the extra range.
    I need a beer.

• Options
    snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    tigeraries wrote: »
    No sorry but they suck... hell melee for BOs suck. They stand around and do next to nothing and run back and forth between target and myself. Yeah I thought it would be cool to have em all go up close and personal while I stay back and snipe... LOL

BOFF damage no matter what you equip sucks.

Hence why I'm quoting Godzilla. As in, I'm not being serious.

The best thing to do with BOFFs is bring one science BOFF for heals/cleanses. And the rest Engineers to lay down turrets and mortars. And get all that AOE people keep mentioning.

The weapon they fire will be pretty insignificant no matter what you put in their hands.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    reynoldsxdreynoldsxd Member Posts: 977 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Undine lances for the whole team. Those things are hax.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    So you should go with weapons that have an 2ndary AE attack with Expose Attack? And I should use weapons that has the Exploit Attack that will take advantage of that when the mobs are exposed? Is that right?

Cause right now they sort of use a hodgepodge of weapons but mainly pulsewaves and split beams or high density beam weapons. I try and swap them out to full autos since those have a 2ndary expose attack and does not have the spin up time that the mini guns have.
  • Options
    doffingcomradedoffingcomrade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Give everyone swords.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    supergaminggeeksupergaminggeek Member Posts: 616 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I just gave mine Omega Rep Gear and called it a day. I think the Omega Autocarbines and Adapted M.A.C.O. Pulsewave are useful on BOFFs. I see Exposes all the time.
  • Options
    coolheadalcoolheadal Member Posts: 1,253 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Voth and Undine Antiproton Ground Weapons. Sonic Antiproton versions some are okay like the rifle but the single or dual pistol seems a bit off somehow. Voth Pistol level XII is the one to get if you like to wear and use. Undine version of the Pistol more of Waist type gaining popularity though.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Time will only tell!
  • Options
    annemarie30annemarie30 Member Posts: 2,608 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I tend to lean toward carrying 11 weapons, 5 single shot weapons ((split beam, hi density beam stun pistols wide beam pistols ect. for when i fight Borg. I also try to get all different energy types as well. then I go for 5 autofire rifles since they tend to have the highest DPS. I kinda like the proton gun you get from the voth rep, and I always have a Lirpa handy
    We Want Vic Fontaine
  • Options
    ryvakenryvaken Member Posts: 57 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I hooked my teams up with a rainbow of Omega choices, prioritizing the sniper rifles on those with bonus exploit damage and the carbines on those with extra expose chance. With enough exposing debuffs slotted there's no end to appropriate targets for everyone.
    Admiral Ryvaken, USS Arthra (NCC-947749), Aventine class.
    As the seventy-fourth Rule of Acquisition clearly states, knowledge equals profit. And I am a very rich Ferengi.
  • Options
    willamsheridanwillamsheridan Member Posts: 1,189 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    My BOffs have Pulsewave Assaults when i play a mission on a ship or against groups of enemies. Everyone has a mk XII rare or very rare Pulswave of a different energy type. When they attack all together with the secondary firing mode many groups of enemies do not even survive the first blast.

On ground maps, on planets i give them Mk XII Split beam rifles for the range and the Option to attack multiple enemies at once. I Use a set of Elite Fleet Phaser Rifles including Pulsewave, Automatic, Split beam, Sniper and Heavy.