test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Fleet Deadnought or Oddy Tac

tmaynard88tmaynard88 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
edited June 2014 in Federation Discussion
Hello there,

Recently i've been working with whether or not to move forward with a Fleet Dreadnought or Oddy Tac. I have them both already and I was up until now using the Avenger but didn't get on with it too much. I was feeling the Dreadnought more simply because with the 2 piece bonus I felt you got a ship that could do a lot more than the Oddy.

I've included a built below for my Dreadnought and I wanted to know if I'd be better off using the Oddy instead for a similar style of play?

http://skillplanner.stoacademy.com/?build=usslethiathen_0

The only thing so far I'd love on there is to add the Plasmonic Leech to it all but finding one isn't easy/affordable and I don't know where I would put it right now.

Thanks for any info.
Post edited by tmaynard88 on

Comments

• m4th3m4t1c14nm4th3m4t1c14n Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I would go with the dreadnought, but there's not much difference really. The Odyssey could be designed to take more damage than the dreadnought can, but the dreadnought could be designed to do more damage than the Odyssey can.

They're almost identical ships, especially in the way you're using the boff slots. The dreadnought forces you to use an engineer where the Odyssey gives you a choice in one boff slot. If you're going to put an engineer in there anyway, this doesn't matter.

The dreadnought has slightly lower shields and slightly higher hull. Not enough to make any real difference though.

The dreadnought has one less science console, but one more tactical console. I don't know why you would, but if you wanted to you could effectively make them the same here by removing one of your universal consoles from a science slot on the Odyssey and putting it in a tactical slot on the Dreadnought. Then they're essentially the same here also.

They have basically the same turn rate, inertia, etc. The Odyssey comes with 5 more weapons energy at the cost of 5 engine power. However, with one less tactical console, your damage is going to be less anyway with the Odyssey.

Here's the main difference. The dreadnought has fighters. In PvP, they aren't worth much. FAW spamming annihilates them as soon as they launch. In PvE though, elite scorpions often give me an extra 2k or so dps.

I looked at your build briefly, and I noticed a couple of things. You have A2B 3 listed. I'm not sure that exists. Also, unless they changed it, you're going to need a different shield once you do get the leech. Your shield's conduit link ability does not work with the leech, and they tend to cancel each other out.
  • ryakidrysryakidrys Member Posts: 830 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I am going to look at this in a PvE lens. If you are thinking of PvP, don't read any further since I am not great with PvP at all.

RSP1 is as good as RSP2 if you are looking to BFAW a bunch of targets simultaneously. So, find a buddy or fleetmate if you can't train it yourself, and use EPTS3 where you had RSP2, and RSP1 where you had EPTS2. As far as A2B3 (I don't think that exists), you already had 2 other A2B, so use DEM3 instead.

I presume you have 3 technicians, at least 1 purple and 2 blue ones. If not, get them or the A2B build will seem lacking.

Dump the beam overload, it gimps damage from successive beam arrays for several shots if you keep firing beam arrays after the beam overload. Instead, use an attack pattern like beta.

Plan for another shield and warp core, possibly a set that combines to give you a boost or buff you like.
  • tmaynard88tmaynard88 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Thank you very much for your help with this. I did make a mistake with the build I actually have Aux power to integrity field III instead of A2B3 which you're right doesn't exist.

Yeah I have read elsewhere that I would have to change my shield if I get the plasmonic leech but I was thinking that I would go for something like the Adapted MACO one unless there was something more suitable. The same goes for the Warp Core it's just a matter of saving up Fleet Credits but I did like the little shield power it gives you.

I'll look into those BOFF skills then and try to make some changes.

Thanks again!
  • en40rceren40rcer Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    So, I currently run the MACO shields and also have the plasmonic leech console outfitted. If the MACO is not a good shield to run with the leech, what is?

I don't mean to highjack the thread, but, I also run with the Dreadnought with the Scorpions and a plasma build, basically the Romulan rep gear.
  • chrisbrown12009chrisbrown12009 Member Posts: 790 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Neither. BUY AVENGER.
  • lessley00lessley00 Member Posts: 1,200 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Acceptable. I would choose the Odyssey for the chevron and Aquarius. And the dreadnought for the spinal Lance, cloaking device, and hanger.Yet the avenger has the vaa thingy and cool power. So I would get the avenger and dreadnought, they go together. Live long and prosper
    Captain Joseph Riker, U.S.S. Odyssey==General V'Mar, U.S.S. Blackwater-A==Admiral Laura Holmes, U.S.S. Forward Unto Dawn
    Grand Master Thotok, son of Koloth, I.K.S. Sompek==Dahar Master Shanara, I.K.S. Balth'Quv

Admiral R'Tath V'Tirex, R.R.W. Dhael Glohha'enh==Commander Ta'eth Korval, R.R.W Hachae ch'Rhian==Admiral Vranuk, R.R.W Delevhas
  • smokeybacon90smokeybacon90 Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    That word, "Avenger", it has a typo. It is meant to be spelled "Excelsior".
    EnYn9p9.jpg
  • ryakidrysryakidrys Member Posts: 830 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I have both the Tac Oddy and the Fleet Dreadnought on the same toon. I did not get the sets for either. So, I don't do saucer sep, etc.
    I ran them on a Fed Engineer, with the goal of taking as much punishment as possible in STFs and still put out enough DPS to still take aggo. It's possibly more extreme tanking than you normally play, so consider that as you read further. Both builds ended up very different for me. The oddy seemed tankier, think of getting the gateway, cube and spheres mad at you at the same time and all in weapon range in ISE, when using a non-A2B setup than an A2B setup, and parsed at lower DPS (about 5k DPS lower) than the dreadnought doing the same thing running A2B with the same weapons and nearly the same gear.
    To me, I found that the oddy tanked best when using EPTS and TSS to get better shield tanking, while the fleet galaxy and fleet dreadnought seem to take hull hits a little better and TSS isn't as necessary for them so A2B with science team instead of TSS works sufficiently.
    Either way, the dreadnought is essentially just as tanky as my Tac Oddy was, but the dreadnought puts out more DPS in a BFAW setup where you try to get everything nearby to shoot at you while your teammates run amok when they rarely take aggro.
    If you are tanking for yourself, however, the Oddy's LCDR uni station could be a difference maker if used for a tactical BOFF. I never ran the LCDR as a Tac on the Oddy, since it fell in line for my play style best as either engineering or what I settled upon as science.
  • gofasternowgofasternow Member Posts: 1,390 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I've flown both Fleet Dread and Oddy Tac and IMO, the Fleet Dread is a bit more superior, especially if you outfit it with both 8472 sets
  • varthelmvarthelm Member Posts: 265 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    The dread is the superior ship. Even if you only count that it only needs two set consoles to do sep (freeing up a console slot) and has a hangar bay. The clincher for me was not being able to use the aquarius and the saucer at the same time. Since the 3rd set bonus for the oddy only benefits the saucer anyway...I usually do without the saucer and bag the substantial 2 set bonus with the bees and the aquarius. When I do fly the oddy...I fly the sci version due to sensor analysis and the resent buff to that ability.

That all said...dread can fit cannons (yes it can be made to work...carefully), has both a hangar and lance without need of a slot eating console...its the better ship in general....unless you want lots of sci powers on your cruiser