test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

ship interiors

ender357ender357 Member Posts: 26 Arc User
so....i like my ship interiors......i like them to be screen acurate.....but we dont have access to the Enterprise E bridge, or the voyager bridge. furthermore, interiors seem very oversized and clumsy, the hallways are like corridors you would find in a roman cathedral. the warp core is open and ugly and the warp core also doesnt change when you switch warpcores. there is mostly little use for the interior of the starship as well, and none of the interiors make any sense. when i had a San paulo class ship, the bridge was 3 times the size it should have been, and the corridors were huge, and yet if you watch DS9 you will see that the defiant had the smallest bridge and corridor style of any ship in the cannon federation. currently i have a soverign class starship, do i have the soverign class bridge?

NOPE

i mean come on.....those things were made in large numbers after the borg incursion, you mean to tell me that they were made with the Galaxy class bridge??

the same thing goes with the nova class science vessel, it should have the bridge as depicted in the Voyager episodes Eqinox 1 and 2, but it doesnt.......and it bugs me.....alot
Post edited by ender357 on

Comments

• thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Ship interiors were originally made over-sized for 2 reasons:

1: The plan was to have Missions Content in those interiors and they wanted enough room for 5 characters to be able to move around and fight without colliding with each other.

2: The old camera coding required more space and height to keep your character from being camera-locked.

The camera coding issue has been resolved and newer interiors are smaller then the older ones. Right now there is just no incentive for an Environmental Artist like Taco to go in and redo all those old interiors.

Beyond that we really have no idea how many Sovereigns were made in canon: maybe 20, maybe only 2. :)
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • prierinprierin Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    According to canon, starship bridges were interchangeable to suit the mission parameters of the time. i.e. the Galaxy class bridge we were used to in TNG was an exploration bridge. If needed, the entire bridge module could be removed and replaced with a tactical bridge.

So by that logic, it is not entirely impossible that now that the Borg incursion is over, the sovereign class starships have been refitted with exploration bridges rather than tactical, no?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    You will forever be missed and never forgotten.
  • tekehdtekehd Member Posts: 2,032 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    ender357 wrote: »
    so....i like my ship interiors......i like them to be screen acurate.....but we dont have access to the Enterprise E bridge, or the voyager bridge. furthermore, interiors seem very oversized and clumsy, the hallways are like corridors you would find in a roman cathedral. the warp core is open and ugly and the warp core also doesnt change when you switch warpcores. there is mostly little use for the interior of the starship as well, and none of the interiors make any sense. when i had a San paulo class ship, the bridge was 3 times the size it should have been, and the corridors were huge, and yet if you watch DS9 you will see that the defiant had the smallest bridge and corridor style of any ship in the cannon federation. currently i have a soverign class starship, do i have the soverign class bridge?

NOPE

i mean come on.....those things were made in large numbers after the borg incursion, you mean to tell me that they were made with the Galaxy class bridge??

the same thing goes with the nova class science vessel, it should have the bridge as depicted in the Voyager episodes Eqinox 1 and 2, but it doesnt.......and it bugs me.....alot

To my knowledge there are sovereign bridge packs available on the c-store. Same with intrepid and defiant
  • mhall85mhall85 Member Posts: 2,852 Arc User1
    edited May 2014
    tekehd wrote: »
    To my knowledge there are sovereign bridge packs available on the c-store. Same with intrepid and defiant
    Yes, but these are not the canon versions of these vessels... or, they aren't what we saw on the TV.

With the exception, of course, of the Belfast bridge, which is a pretty awesome replica of the Defiant-class interiors.

And a replica of the 1701-E interiors would be legit. A lot of people also seem to want 1701-D interiors, too.
    d87926bd02aaa4eb12e2bb0fbc1f7061.jpg
  • peetapipmacpeetapipmac Member Posts: 2,131 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    tekehd wrote: »

Yes, but these bear very little resemblance to the bridges seen on screen. There is a screen accurate defiant interior, but it is only available as part of the ds9 bundle, so kinda pricey.
    It's not my fault if you feel trolled by my Disco ball... Sorry'boutit.

R.I.P. Leonard Nimoy
  • azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    The team did those bridges in the Pre PWE days when they had little budget to work with and little incentive for canonical accuracy. That was their answer to us wanting canonical bridges.

Now that we are moving to the Delta Quadrant in the expansion, there is a small possibility they might add a canonical Intrepid Bridge (maybe us visiting Voyager itself) and maybe have it part of a Delta Quadrant bundle. (Personally, I rather they redo the faux bridges which many originally purchased when we were told those were the canonical bridges).

So if they do that, then surely they could move on to canonical Galaxy and Sovereign bridge sets, then expand into the variant bridges like the Prometheus (which was redress of the Excelsior set).
  • doctorfunke1doctorfunke1 Member Posts: 107 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    How about a Star Trek Generations 20th Anniversary Pack too, with Kirk's vest and a better looking Galaxy interior with an observation lounge and ten forward and Geordi's engineering! ALL with correct color of computer panels and lighting! Give us the ability to go to yellow and red and I guess green alert, and the ability to change out crews' (walking about the ship) outfits.

I guess we need a better looking Voyager bridge too.
  • ender357ender357 Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    The team did those bridges in the Pre PWE days when they had little budget to work with and little incentive for canonical accuracy. That was their answer to us wanting canonical bridges.

Now that we are moving to the Delta Quadrant in the expansion, there is a small possibility they might add a canonical Intrepid Bridge (maybe us visiting Voyager itself) and maybe have it part of a Delta Quadrant bundle. (Personally, I rather they redo the faux bridges which many originally purchased when we were told those were the canonical bridges).

So if they do that, then surely they could move on to canonical Galaxy and Sovereign bridge sets, then expand into the variant bridges like the Prometheus (which was redress of the Excelsior set).
    that would be pretty awesome, i am still kicking myself for not getting an intrepid class, since back then i was only worried about guns. id love an intrepid bridge, i thought that out of all of them it made the most sense. besides of course the San Paulo bridge.

as of right now, the interiors need quite a bit of work, so if they could get an artist to start working on it....maybe it will be done by next year.
    edited May 2014
    ender357 wrote: »
    as of right now, the interiors need quite a bit of work, so if they could get an artist to start working on it....maybe it will be done by next year.

Yes, they do. But they have said on occasion that interiors won't be touched until they can figure out ways of making players go inside their ships more. So right now, interiors are pretty much limited to storyline content.

But I wouldn't give up hope, they did talk about Galaxy / TNG interiors before, so the might have the basic work done, they just have to spend time in matching canonical locations in the ship interiors and making it accurate, so you feel like you are inside your ship.
    edited May 2014
    Yes, they do. But they have said on occasion that interiors won't be touched until they can figure out ways of making players go inside their ships more. So right now, interiors are pretty much limited to storyline content.

But I wouldn't give up hope, they did talk about Galaxy / TNG interiors before, so the might have the basic work done, they just have to spend time in matching canonical locations in the ship interiors and making it accurate, so you feel like you are inside your ship.

But, wasn't it one of the Reman missions... or something to do with the Tal Shiar... that made you go to your ready room to analyze something?

Why can't they do more like that? If they can make us walk around Bajor in "Of Bajor" for a good 30-45 minutes, then they can do in-ship missions.
    edited May 2014
    mhall85 wrote: »
    But, wasn't it one of the Reman missions... or something to do with the Tal Shiar... that made you go to your ready room to analyze something?

Why can't they do more like that? If they can make us walk around Bajor in "Of Bajor" for a good 30-45 minutes, then they can do in-ship missions.
    You are confusing the concept of cannot with have not. They certainly can make some Missions that require us to be in our ships. They simply have not done it yet. Last year they had 50 Missions to write for LoR so individual Content was not a high priority. Right now they are writing a similar amount of Mission Content for Expansion Pack 2. We have no way of knowing what that Content will entail.

Either way they are not going to put a lot of money into fixing older interiors until there is more then a handful of Mission reasons to be in your interior.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
    edited May 2014
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    You are confusing the concept of cannot with have not. They certainly can make some Missions that require us to be in our ships. They simply have not done it yet. Last year they had 50 Missions to write for LoR so individual Content was not a high priority. Right now they are writing a similar amount of Mission Content for Expansion Pack 2. We have no way of knowing what that Content will entail.

Either way they are not going to put a lot of money into fixing older interiors until there is more then a handful of Mission reasons to be in your interior.

Oh, well yeah, that really was my point. :) They've done it already, they just need to do more.

It would certainly boost bridge pack sales... dropping 10 in-ship missions, or incorporating in-ship portions of every mission in Expansion 2... it would take some work, but they'd reap the benefits for a long time.

I want to ask CaptainSmirk about this in the livestream thread!
    edited May 2014
    mhall85 wrote: »

If it was so simple, they would've done it already. It's got to be something that makes you want to go inside your ship more than a few times.

Some wanted Poker

Some wanted Foundry doors added in ship interiors

Some wanted PvP on ships

But nothing yet resonated with the Devs to do something.
  • peetapipmacpeetapipmac Member Posts: 2,131 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    If it was so simple, they would've done it already. It's got to be something that makes you want to go inside your ship more than a few times.

Some wanted Poker

Some wanted Foundry doors added in ship interiors

Some wanted PvP on ships

But nothing yet resonated with the Devs to do something.

I think there was some legal issue with the poker. Something about having to raise the age rating because of gambling laws.
    It's not my fault if you feel trolled by my Disco ball... Sorry'boutit.

R.I.P. Leonard Nimoy
  • edgecrysgeredgecrysger Member Posts: 2,740 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    Ship interiors were originally made over-sized for 2 reasons:

1: The plan was to have Missions Content in those interiors and they wanted enough room for 5 characters to be able to move around and fight without colliding with each other.

2: The old camera coding required more space and height to keep your character from being camera-locked.

The camera coding issue has been resolved and newer interiors are smaller then the older ones. Right now there is just no incentive for an Environmental Artist like Taco to go in and redo all those old interiors.

Beyond that we really have no idea how many Sovereigns were made in canon: maybe 20, maybe only 2. :)

It doesnt make any sense. If they make the interiors as they please, with the size of a coliseum, they are not longer "interiors". I played a lot of foundry missions with tiny corridors and i never had a problem with my entire away team. The ship interiors should be that, ship interiors, not just some random gigantic rooms that has nothing to do with the ship shape or a realistic sip interior. If there is a little problem with the camera, we just adapt and live with it. But that is far better than have interiors that are not like interiors, no sense.

But most of all, interiors should be really specific of every ship with the shape and layout of every ship. Again, if this is not acomplished, they cant be called ship interiors.

I think ship interiors need a complete revamped work, to be more realistic (no more realistic, just realistic , period.).

Until this happens, doing any stuff in the ship interior is just, dumb. I prefer to just go outside and "play" lol.

But ig uess this is like asking for a first person mode in space fights. We will need almost a complete re-work that will require a lot of time and resources from cryptic. And that is not profit, so it will never happen, sadly.
  • foundrelicfoundrelic Member Posts: 1,380 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I think there was some legal issue with the poker. Something about having to raise the age rating because of gambling laws.

Dabo.

That's Gambling too.
  • daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    foundrelic wrote: »
    Dabo.

That's Gambling too.

but dabo is not real like poker is
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
    edited May 2014
    It doesnt make any sense. If they make the interiors as they please, with the size of a coliseum, they are not longer "interiors". I played a lot of foundry missions with tiny corridors and i never had a problem with my entire away team.
    Now go back and try doing those Foundry Missions with 5 players rather then you and your away team and see if does not seem crowded. You see, STO is an MMO, not SPG, and 5 people all trying to fight down a 6' hallway without getting in each other's way and blocking line-of-sight is impossible.
  • coolheadalcoolheadal Member Posts: 1,253 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Ships do have a different look inside but the other levels to me always have the same basic look. I've change my bridge from the default there is so many different configurations for the bridge to choose from just the standard look. But the Bridge Officers are now always on the bridge and the rest of the Duty Officers.

As for Dabo is like a combination of roulette wheel with Keyno.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Time will only tell!
  • ender357ender357 Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    whats funny is that rom interiors are not terrible, 10 forward for them is a bit.....big...and their singularity core is far too large, it would be much better protected than that
  • darpinkdarpink Member Posts: 341 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    What I don't get is why ships such as the Jem Hadar Dreadnaught have the smallest bridges, no ready room, no other levels at all. It's just 1 room. And the officers in that room are not even my BOFF's, they're just random NPC's.
    The same can be said about the Tal Shiar Adapted Battlecruiser.
    I would love to see some new bridges, some that can be used on Zen, Lobi or Lockbox ships no matter what ship it is would be great. But I realize that's probably just wishful thinking and never going to happen.