test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Seperate ground and space traits please

dahminusdahminus Member Posts: 0 Arc User
I'm not talking about rep traits but normal traits....git some pretty sexy lockbox traits that I can't be bothered to swap to during ground maps due to laziness or fear I would forget to swap back to space.

Rep was divided, why not basic? If it means I lose space trait slots then at least give us loadout accessibility
Chive on and prosper, eh?

My PvE/PvP hybrid skill tree
Post edited by dahminus on

Comments

• Options
    ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Got my vote
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    dahminus wrote: »
    Rep was divided, why not basic?

Different systems.

Rep Passives would have grown infinitely.

Species Traits were always limited. They actually gave folks free respecs on Species Traits, so folks could swap them as they desire when going from Ground to Space to Ground to Space...which didn't exist previously.

I don't want to lose my ability to slot 8-9 Space Traits because somebody that does Ground is complaining about the new ability to swap traits they didn't have previously.

Should their be loadouts for traits? Why not? I don't use loadouts at all, but I can see where folks would want it...not up to me to say, mind you - just an opinion. But honestly, if I wanted to switch something around - I just did it. I wish we could disable the loadouts TRIBBLE personally...
  • Options
    mightybobcncmightybobcnc Member Posts: 3,354 Arc User
    edited May 2014

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
    Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.
  • Options
    lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,825 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    So we lose traits just because you're lazy huh? No thanks...I'd much rather they give us the choice of 8 rep traits rather than having them divided...
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    I don't want to lose my ability to slot 8-9 Space Traits because somebody that does Ground is complaining about the new ability to swap traits they didn't have previously.
    At this point just give separate buckets of ground and space traits with 8 each and get it over with. You can already essentially have 8 of each anyway by moving them around before a map loads. The ground and space traits do not overlap so there is no negative impact on balance. If anything, there is more balance to be gained by giving everybody 8 in each so that everybody has the same opportunity pool all the time.
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    It's just the feeling of...

Cryptic: Here you go, guys - you can switch your Personal Traits for free.
    Guy#1: Awesome, thanks!
    Guy#2: What? I've got to do this manually? That sucks.
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    It seems dumb that a min/maxing player would need to swap traits when switching between ground and space.

And it is generally not a good design decision in my idea to force any splits between ground and space abilities. That was already wrong with the original skill system, though the current skill system still has parts of that.

And remember, you can't actually swap any time you want - on missions with ground and space combat parts (e.g. regular story missions), you couldn't do that.

I could even imagine a three to possbily a four way split:
    1. Ground Passive Traits
    2. Ground Active Traits (currently, there aren't enough for all species)
    3. Space (Passive) Traits
    4. (Optional) Space Active Traits (I don't think there are any at all right now? I mean outside the reputations.)
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    assimilatedktarassimilatedktar Member Posts: 1,708 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    God, now I actually prefer the system how it was on release. Choose traits during character creation and live with them. I'm sick of the constant whining. I have chosen my traits once for each character. I have made some changes here and there since the respecs are now free, but each character has one build for both ground and space. And you won't believe it, they work fine. They worked fine with only 4 traits too.:eek: Even worse, I never had any crews that consisted exclusively of Saurians with efficient or Humans with teamwork.:eek: There is absolutely no need to constantly switch traits.
    FKA K-Tar, grumpy Klingon/El-Aurian hybrid. Now assimilated by PWE.
    Sometimes, if you want to bury the hatchet with a Klingon, it has to be in his skull. - Captain K'Tar of the USS Danu about J'mpok.
  • Options
    marc8219marc8219 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    If they are going to let us swap traits whenever they should just let us take 8 ground and 8 space traits at the same time so we don't forget to switch traits back when doing space or ground.
    Tala -KDF Tac- House of Beautiful Orions
  • Options
    mightybobcncmightybobcnc Member Posts: 3,354 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    That's actually kind of the point.. with a pool of 8-9 general traits, if you want to min/max you have to change them constantly, but if there was a split pool of 8-9 space and 8-9 ground then it would be much easier to select your traits once and be done with it, with minor changes now and then for flavor. No more constantly switching traits.

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
    Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.
  • Options
    groomofweirdgroomofweird Member Posts: 1,045 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I'd happily put my vote to a trait loadout system.
    As I said before in a previous thread I love the ship loadouts system but I think the new traits systen has replaced messing around with space gear depending on the mission with messing around with traits for the same reason.
    Nimoysig1_zpsr79joxz3.jpg
    "If this will be our end, then I will have them make SUCH an end as to be worthy of rememberance! Out of torpedos you say?! Find me the ferengi!".
  • Options
    kaiserkactokaiserkacto Member Posts: 482 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    how many traits?

8-9 for each one seems too much, mostly because most races don't have enough space traits, and i'm sure you will not be happy if the devs split the current slots between space and ground.
    "In every age,
    In every place,
    The deeds of men remain the same..."
    12701.png
  • Options
    edited May 2014

Cryptic: we are removing the cost mechanic that forced players to commit to character traits
    Cryptic: but we are still making you switch them around at every map change. Its nostalgic.
  • Options
    kamiyama317kamiyama317 Member Posts: 1,295 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Cryptic probably won't give us more than 8 non-reputation trait slots - they will probably just divide it up into 4 space and 4 ground slots, and I don't see why anyone shouldn't be able to have 8 space traits if they want too.
  • Options
    jockey1979jockey1979 Member Posts: 1,005 Arc User
    edited May 2014

^^ This basically says it all.

Plus, unless you are trying to min/max ground - you don't really need any ground traits on at all. I've done all my PvE missions / battle zones on various characters without any ground traits being slotted at all.

I did try once, a battle zone, with ground traits, wasn't impressed (there was a difference, but as I can complete it with ease, without any ground traits, I felt it was a waste of time messing about).

But, ho hum, no matter what great things have been added, someone always moans.
  • Options
    solidneutroniumsolidneutronium Member Posts: 510 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    They need to cut it down to 2 ground 2 space trait for the sake of the power creep. Power creep needs to be addressed some more, it's destroying the very fabric of the game. There is too much power creep it needs to be reduced to a reasonable level.

Say no to power creep, yes to 2 ground 2 space traits.
    Professional Slider Since 2409

Officially Nerfed In Early 2410
  • Options
    nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I vote no.

really I've use 4 space and 4 ground since I started. it works fine and I don't have to switch it. at all, ever.

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
  • Options
    aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I'd happily put my vote to a trait loadout system.

I see this working about like the current loadout loadout system.

"Wait, I switched maps- I gotta redo all my traits!" :rolleyes: