test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

State of the Game ... Where's D'Angelo ?

f8explorer#7814 f8explorer Member Posts: 1,328 Arc User
Does it seem like the paths of communication are a lot more silent than they use to be?

It just feels ... quiet.

And as a result the game feels ... less ... somehow. For me, it feels like its becoming more removed.

When was the last time we had a State of the Game? ... Or had the ability for us the players to ask questions? (Remember the player submitted Q&As we'd get to participate in on a regular basis?)

I guess what I'm feeling is like we the players are more removed from the process and are no longer being as included.

It makes the game feel less. It leaves me carrying less about this game I've played since the days of closed beta.

When was the last time D'Angelo showed up and made himself accessible to the players?

I mean if we are going by what we see ... Am I the only one who feels like CaptainGeko is the one in charge these days?

Right now, I'm missing Dan Stahl ... and no offense to the newer community managers (love pwaughingtrendy) but I'm also missing BranFlakes.
Joint Forces Commander ... / ... proud member of ... boq botlhra'ghom / AllianceCenCom!
" We stand TOGETHER and fight with HONOR!"

U.S.S. Maelstrom, NCC-71417 (Constitution III-class/flagship) --- Fleet Admiral Hauk' --|-- Dahar Master Hauk --- I.K.S. qu'In 'an bortaS (D7-class / flagship)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• chalpenchalpen Member Posts: 2,207 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    It has been extremely quiet lately. Absolutely no information.
    Should I start posting again after all this time?
  • mattmiraclemattmiracle Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    More than likely, they have their nose to the grindstone working on Expansion 2. Anything they would have to say (including a State of the Game) is still too early to talk about. I would look for stuff to come out shortly about the summer event and then (my guess here) in late August, we will start to get hints as to what the Expansion 2 will include.
    Matt Miracle

Fleet Commander in Chief [Rank 7] for Covenant of Honor; a FED T5 Starbase
    House Leader [Rank 7] for Honorable House of Mor'gue; a KDF T3 Starbase
    Find us at CovenantofHonor.com.  My Twitter handle; @jmattmiracle
  • orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    It might be that I'm just too used to domestic versions of foreign games, but I think that the communication between Cryptic and its playerbase has been nothing short of amazing. I'm not even sure what regular access to D'Angelo would accomplish, to be honest. Or even what you'd define as 'regular access'.
  • hyefatherhyefather Member Posts: 1,286 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    chalpen wrote: »
    It has been extremely quiet lately. Absolutely no information.

After season 9, it wouldn't suprise me find them hidden under a rock. I wouldn't say much either after that atrocity. What could they say, that didn't justify a good old fashioned bibical stoneing. They can redeem themselves however. We'll just have to wait and see.
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I'm not sure it's a D'Angelo thing. It's just no longer a Branflakes world. If you want info coming out about the game, you're SOL. If you want to see mindless posts about bacon, you're probably in heaven.
  • aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    While on some level it makes sense that they're all hushed up , as they prolly have a long and painful plan to slowly unveil the next expansion -- the truth is that we're still a long way from that , and in-between we still have the Summer Event that already has been spoiled somewhat .

As to the OP's point , I too feel that we're totally cut off ... and have felt that way ever since they announce that the Q&A sessions would be going away to be replaced by Dev Blogs and (the now defunct) "choose your Devblog topic" .

Some feel that only the Podcasters can ask direct questions these days , while others are unaware that the Devs do pop in from time to time to comment here and there -- and while that is welcome , it is also frustrating as having a concern that many share answered @ page 4 of some thread somewhere , as that is very far away from being a well publicized answer .
  • thegreendragoon1thegreendragoon1 Member Posts: 1,872 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    So we're at the stage where all the hype about Season 9 is past and it's way to soon for info about the new expansion. It's not that they're withholding communication, it's just that there isn't any new information that's ready to share.

That said, D'Angelo specifically has always been a more reserved EP, even whet he was temporarily EP during the F2P transition. It's just not his forte. I suspect that's way Geko does more interviews. There's also the fact that in the last year or so, marketing for the game has become far more structured. It's not that they communicate less, it's a case of they keep tighter control of when big announcements get out.
  • greuceangreucean Member Posts: 111 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    orangeitis wrote: »
    It might be that I'm just too used to domestic versions of foreign games, but I think that the communication between Cryptic and its playerbase has been nothing short of amazing. I'm not even sure what regular access to D'Angelo would accomplish, to be honest. Or even what you'd define as 'regular access'.

Amazing? Really?
    Sometimes I feel like we're not playing the same game. We've been posting about the gfx issues that came with S9 for weeks now in that subforum.... Nothing. Not even a squeak.

But yeah, like someone said... if its about bacon, you'll probably find communication "amazing". Bout real issues tho... lacking at best.
  • lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    D'Angelo has never been a talker. We didn't hear anything from Dan for a long time before he left though. But yeah as mentioned, it isn't a Branflakes world anymore. He had a level of communication and community interaction that I doubt I'll see again. Those Firefall people who got the Bran Man lucked out.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • bitemepwebitemepwe Member Posts: 6,760 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    The lack of communication and support is having a negative effect of fan driven creations like PvP Bootcamp.
    Thats sad as many fan creations have a very positive effect on STO.
    Leonard Nimoy, Spock.....:(

R.I.P
  • anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    New EP counting his money, new Community lead getting used to the role, new expansion (and season half?) upcoming...

Give it time...
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
    edited May 2014
    greucean wrote: »
    Amazing? Really?
    Sometimes I feel like we're not playing the same game. We've been posting about the gfx issues that came with S9 for weeks now in that subforum.... Nothing. Not even a squeak.

But yeah, like someone said... if its about bacon, you'll probably find communication "amazing". Bout real issues tho... lacking at best.
    I wouldn't think that they'd want to communicate on every issue. They are a business with much to do, after all. They have made it clear(to me at least) that they read our input though.
  • revandarklighterrevandarklighter Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Unlike DStahl, D'Angelo wasn't that open the first time around either.

And I think a game executive doesnt HAVE to be that open in the first place.
    Problem here is, like the OP, they take more stuff away then they add and that D'Angelos cause of action damages this game more and more. That makes people angry. But that doesnt have anything to do with the communication....
  • smokeybacon90smokeybacon90 Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    lan451 wrote: »
    D'Angelo has never been a talker. We didn't hear anything from Dan for a long time before he left though. But yeah as mentioned, it isn't a Branflakes world anymore. He had a level of communication and community interaction that I doubt I'll see again. Those Firefall people who got the Bran Man lucked out.

Not so true, I have to applaud Trendy for getting quite involved with the community, particularly in-game, they can be talked to almost every night on ESD.
    EnYn9p9.jpg
  • xlocutusofborgxxlocutusofborgx Member Posts: 1,373 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Cryptic and communication buhahahha, that mark has been missed since the start. Not sure why that should be a surprise to anyone now.
    borgsignaturecopy2-zpse8618517.png
    R E S I S T A N C E - I S - F U T I L E
    edited May 2014
    Unlike DStahl, D'Angelo wasn't that open the first time around either.

And I think a game executive doesnt HAVE to be that open in the first place.
    Problem here is, like the OP, they take more stuff away then they add and that D'Angelos cause of action damages this game more and more. That makes people angry. But that doesnt have anything to do with the communication....
    Now that's patently absurd. In season 9, they took out what... the old ESD and a couple Undine episodes? And they added a much larger, more detailed ESD and better quality episodes. What else do you think they took away now...?
  • revandarklighterrevandarklighter Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    orangeitis wrote: »
    Now that's patently absurd. In season 9, they took out what... the old ESD and a couple Undine episodes? And they added a much larger, more detailed ESD and better quality episodes. What else do you think they took away now...?

Gotta love that kind of person.
    Half the community feels that way, but because you don't its "absurd". :rolleyes: Of course.
  • ktonof1aqktonof1aq Member Posts: 210 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    genhauk wrote: »
    Does it seem like the paths of communication are a lot more silent than they use to be?

It just feels ... quiet.

And as a result the game feels ... less ... somehow. For me, it feels like its becoming more removed.

When was the last time we had a State of the Game? ... Or had the ability for us the players to ask questions? (Remember the player submitted Q&As we'd get to participate in on a regular basis?)

I guess what I'm feeling is like we the players are more removed from the process and are no longer being as included.

It makes the game feel less. It leaves me carrying less about this game I've played since the days of closed beta.

When was the last time D'Angelo showed up and made himself accessible to the players?

I mean if we are going by what we see ... Am I the only one who feels like CaptainGeko is the one in charge these days?

Right now, I'm missing Dan Stahl ... and no offense to the newer community managers (love pwaughingtrendy) but I'm also missing BranFlakes.

Let's be real honest here. Calling State of the Game a Q & A is a stretch. It really was players asking "whenyagonnagimmethis?" and complaining cause the character didn't show enough clevage or some other bizzare twist. It got really sad.

I prefer the silence. It beats the pump and hype that we use to get followed by the "pushing it back to season "somewhere down the road."

The other thing is if they're talking, they aren't working. It drove me crazy back in the day when there was 100 podcasts and you'd hear Al's a guest on 90 of them--when would he have time to work?

Oh and seriously? TWO HOUR PODCASTS and then you complain that there is nothing to talk about in STO? Get over yourself. Bring back Chris and Jeremie! :)

No, I prefer the old days when the DEV's would jump into the game and play PvP, launch Borg at us in ESD, or do some other fun, unexpected thiing.

Ever see them on? Reason: they get flooded with "whenyagonnagimmethis?" or nerd rage about STO doom.

Brandon did a great job with the community. Give the new guy, Captainsmirk or whatever, some time. He'll be good too. I see Tacofang dancing in the forums also.

For now, the forums are full of "whenyagonnagimmethis?" threads and every other thread is doooooooooooooom.

Live long and prosper!
  • admiralcarteradmiralcarter Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    After the Rage'n'hate posts post Season 9 launch you wonder why noone from the Dev's is talking to us?

Honestly... I ve never seen so much hate for a Season as it was for Season 9. Maybe Season 6 but... no... not really.

Before I quit watching the forums 2 days after S9 launch, every newly created thread was a complaint, whining, raging... there was only little positive feedback.

Even the posts about the new ESD (wich is wonderful) were more negative then everything else...

Its our own fault that they dont talk to us as we were used to!

I ve seen Seasons worse then S9 and there was complaining and whining too but nothing near the outrage of Season 9.

Think about it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Star Trek Online Intro HD [3rd Fleet Anniversary]

edited May 2014
    Gotta love that kind of person.
    Half the community feels that way, but because you don't its "absurd". :rolleyes: Of course.
    I sincerely doubt that it's "half" of the community. Maybe half of this forum(and I even doubt that), but that doesn't equate to half of the total players in the game.

And I did ask what else was being removed. Care to shed some light on your claim of "they take more stuff away then they add", rather than criticizing the doubt? If you're trying to convince anyone, antagonizing us isn't a very productive way.
  • solidneutroniumsolidneutronium Member Posts: 510 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Stahl was the baby kisser type emperor, he communicated with the peasants. D'Angelo is the ivory tower type emperor. If you see any of his interviews you get the feeling Vader is standing just off camera. :D
    Professional Slider Since 2409

Officially Nerfed In Early 2410
  • chalpenchalpen Member Posts: 2,207 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    After the Rage'n'hate posts post Season 9 launch you wonder why noone from the Dev's is talking to us?

Honestly... I ve never seen so much hate for a Season as it was for Season 9. Maybe Season 6 but... no... not really.

Before I quit watching the forums 2 days after S9 launch, every newly created thread was a complaint, whining, raging... there was only little positive feedback.

Even the posts about the new ESD (wich is wonderful) were more negative then everything else...

Its our own fault that they dont talk to us as we were used to!

I ve seen Seasons worse then S9 and there was complaining and whining too but nothing near the outrage of Season 9.

Think about it.
    You haven't been playing long. The "hate" for this season was extremely mild. Every season has to have hate. It is the spice of a season.
    You want hate? Crossfire. Crossfire was not only vilified, but probably the worst release of anything. Ever.
    Season 9 was awesome sauce by comparison
    Should I start posting again after all this time?
  • erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Stahl was the baby kisser type emperor, he communicated with the peasants. D'Angelo is the ivory tower type emperor. If you see any of his interviews you get the feeling Vader is standing just off camera. :D
    That's not Vader, that's PWE. Which mean it's the Emperor, and Cryptic is Vader :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • admiralcarteradmiralcarter Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    chalpen wrote: »
    You haven't been playing long. The "hate" for this season was extremely mild. Every season has to have hate. It is the spice of a season.
    You want hate? Crossfire. Crossfire was not only vilified, but probably the worst release of anything. Ever.
    Season 9 was awesome sauce by comparison

Playing since Closed Beta. Sometimes more sometimes less. Well maybe its just me or maybe its just that I dont hang on the forums alot.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Star Trek Online Intro HD [3rd Fleet Anniversary]

• solidneutroniumsolidneutronium Member Posts: 510 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    erei1 wrote: »
    That's not Vader, that's PWE. Which mean it's the Emperor, and Cryptic is Vader :)
    You're confused mang. D'Angelo is the emperor Geko is Vader and PWE is the deathstar. And Cryptic is not a moon.
    Professional Slider Since 2409

Officially Nerfed In Early 2410
  • rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    The forums have slowed right down too.

The worst reaction by players isn't anger, it's apathy.

The summer event will need to be both interesting and generous.

There needs to be something that gets players excited again.

Endless congenial posts about bacon won't cut it, nor will ridiculously over sensitive reactions.
  • tarastheslayertarastheslayer Member Posts: 1,541 Bug Hunter
    edited May 2014
    I don't find it surprising a number of the devs don't like talking to people on here when a lot of what they get back is a load of frankly ill-thought out and unpleasant responses instead of constructive feedback and respect.

Very few people provide constructive, and I mean truly constructive, feedback. I feel unless that changes it's a pretty much a vicious cycle.
    Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head. - Euripides
    I no longer do any Bug Hunting work for Cryptic. I may resume if a serious attempt to fix the game is made.