test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

PvP incentives needed

darramouss1darramouss1 Member Posts: 1,811 Arc User
edited May 2014 in PvP Gameplay
I've never seen the queues this dead. I'm getting bored waiting and I'm betting I'm not the only one.

How to fix this? Incentives. Currently, you get rewarded with a crappy little amount of EC and dilithium when you PvP.

Big freakin' deal.

What is needed to attract players are TRUE incentives. A participation package and a winners package. You need to play (and finish) to get the participation package. If you win you get the winners package as an additional bonus. The PvP missions would remain the same.

Possible examples. (P) = participation, (W) = winners. Common sense dictates that you all would have guessed, but common sense can be uncommon.

(P) - Rep mark package of 25 marks. (W) - 2 reputation items of your choice (Borg neural processor, Voth neural implant, etc.)

(P) - 100 GPL. (W) - 1 lobi.

(P) - 500 refined dilithium. (W) - 100 fleet credits.

The possibilities are limitless. Some may say that giving certain things like lobi could be bad. Considering that a match must be finished and matches usually go for at least 10 minutes, the lobi earned in an hour would be around 6. That would require a player to play 133.3 hours of PvP to earn a ship. I don't see that as unfair.

Anyone else agree with any or all of this idea?
Post edited by darramouss1 on

Comments

• Options
    anyone#9933 anyone Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I've never seen the queues this dead. I'm getting bored waiting and I'm betting I'm not the only one.

If you're not the only one waiting, then why are you waiting? :cool:

But yes, the few times I apply, I have to wait at least 5 minutes too :/
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    edalgo wrote: »
    If you build rewards into PvP, people will participate.

If you give more rewards for winning, people will band together and there will be more premades/pug made instead of the 4-6 STO currently has. Ranking system would help. People will strive to improve to attain those added rewards for winning.

End of line

With solo or duo queues there is a limit to premades. Rewards would attract people to play and attract people to learn.
  • Options
    ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    deokkent wrote: »
    Why do we even wait? Sometimes there would be 30 players in the queue and it still won't pop. Or it would pop but it's uneven teams, even though there were enough players in the lobby. Something is strange with the queues.

Its not the number that are waiting, its the total number of participants, including waiting and actives. There could be 3 matches underway already, which is 3x10=30. It would certainly be better if it showed number waiting vs playing, like in the PVE queues. Maybe one day
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Heh...5 minute waits? I think the FvF folks got spoiled...you could wait 50 minutes or more for a FvK queue to pop. I've fallen asleep waiting for queues to pop as KDF. 5 minute waits are awesome by comparison.

As for rewards...offer more rewards, more folks will afk for those rewards...has history shown us nothing with the countless games that have gone through that same problem?
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Curious about if the open arena Q were made into a 5 man team only Q with higher rewards than the pug Q. Higher still for a victory.

Let Cap n Hold be the "sandbox" Q.

You run into potential issues of folks being able to earn better rewards for losing one than winning the other unless you're careful...
  • Options
    ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    PVP participation will stay like it as long as balance stays like it is. Nobody wants to get steamrolled.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Reward system can help against that.

Example:

Best reward is for a 5 man team victory

Next best is for Solo Q victory

Next would be loss in 5 man team

Lastly Solo Q loss

But that's exactly the issue I was speaking about.

Joe Random: Hey, Random if we get three more folks and form a premade losing team we can get better rewards than if we queue alone and lose.
    Random Joe: Sounds good me, let's get a few guys together.
    Joe Random: Yep, don't forget not to equip any shields or armor consoles.
    Random Joe: I won't...this will be great - we'll earn rewards in no time!
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Farmers are looking for the easiest most efficient way collect rewards but if those changes were to take place winning the match would be more efficient.

Could just be I'm jaded by the "Efficient" folks from so many games.

"Stop trying, the faster we lose the faster we get rewards!"

Even now, lol, it's causing my blood to boil...those folks used to drive me crazy - wanting to do all sorts of irrationally violent things over a silly game but wanting to do them all the same.
  • Options
    sharxtremesharxtreme Member Posts: 850 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Could just be I'm jaded by the "Efficient" folks from so many games.

"Stop trying, the faster we lose the faster we get rewards!"

Even now, lol, it's causing my blood to boil...those folks used to drive me crazy - wanting to do all sorts of irrationally violent things over a silly game but wanting to do them all the same.

It is easy to chase away that mentality.
    Good rewards for good score(not current: FAW will get you 15kills on current scoreboard although you didn't get one kill really)

Self Healing- no score
    FAW, mine, chroniton, clickie spam that leads to no kill - -0.10 score each
    Direct Kill - + 1 score
    Assist - 0.25 score
    Death - -1 score
    Healed teammate for triple of his hull+shield capacity - +1 score
    Subnuke, scan, sci debuff that directly lead to kill - + 0.2 each

etc.

It can be done, it is complicated, but it can be done.
    Current system that counts self-heals as heals in general, and damage system that favors FAW spam for example is broken.

Or they can make a reputation that requires you to win one and kill(assist on kill) one guy for small daily project and win 1 game kill/heal 5 ppl for big daily project.

Even if they make it fair, there will be crying so if they ever make PvP reputation they need to make it alongside some PvE reputation, and make leader boards and stat based matchmaking.
  • Options
    dontdrunkimshootdontdrunkimshoot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    mark box, based on team kills. each kill grants 2 marks, so the winning team will get 30, and the loseing team at most will get 28. cant AFK your way to marks this way, winning is incentive
  • Options
    alejogalejog Member Posts: 135 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    mark box, based on team kills. each kill grants 2 marks, so the winning team will get 30, and the loseing team at most will get 28. cant AFK your way to marks this way, winning is incentive

While I agree afk is a problem I'm hesitant to support rewards based on kills, since as healer, for example, I rarely even get more than one kill. I would say do it based on damage and healing. Like have a minimum of 100k combine and then scale it up to 1mil. Rarely have I seen even a pug stomp with people less than 100k numbers combined.

That being said, rewards are badly needed if pvp is to be made more appealing. I live pvping but there are plenty of time I can't do it as I need to grind and the rewards for pvp are so pathetic. However, if better rewards were available I would do it even more often. And many more people would try it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]-32nd Vipers- PvP Team

Nothing is impossible to him who would try.... except getting cryptic to care about pvp.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    I just realised that creating this thread was a bad idea.

Cryptic doesn't care about fixing the the game. They only care about giving people little shinies that preoccupy us until we start to get bored, then they give us the next shiny. This way we forget about all the flaws that bring this game down. That way they don't have to spend time on fixing the game, but rather making something that can be sold via lockbox.

They're not going to update/improve PvP as there's nothing in it for them. They'd only fix it if they could figure out a way to sell us the PvP experience that we've always wanted. They're mercenaries who don't allow player opinions to factor in to their money making equations.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    I just realised that creating this thread was a bad idea.

Cryptic doesn't care about fixing the the game. They only care about giving people little shinies that preoccupy us until we start to get bored, then they give us the next shiny. This way we forget about all the flaws that bring this game down. That way they don't have to spend time on fixing the game, but rather making something that can be sold via lockbox.

They're not going to update/improve PvP as there's nothing in it for them. They'd only fix it if they could figure out a way to sell us the PvP experience that we've always wanted. They're mercenaries who don't allow player opinions to factor in to their money making equations.

I partially agree with this. But pvp is an arms race which leads people to buy shinnies which means more money. So if cryptic is smart they would try and get more people to pvp. Since better ships and better gear usually means more wins (obv there are other important things for pvp).

In the alternative maybe we should pick up our pitchforks and torches and pay cryptic a visit :P

Nothing is impossible to him who would try.... except getting cryptic to care about pvp.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    alejog wrote: »
    While I agree afk is a problem I'm hesitant to support rewards based on kills, since as healer, for example, I rarely even get more than one kill. I would say do it based on damage and healing. Like have a minimum of 100k combine and then scale it up to 1mil. Rarely have I seen even a pug stomp with people less than 100k numbers combined.

That being said, rewards are badly needed if pvp is to be made more appealing. I live pvping but there are plenty of time I can't do it as I need to grind and the rewards for pvp are so pathetic. However, if better rewards were available I would do it even more often. And many more people would try it.

read the proposal again. its not based on how many kills it shows a person has, its based on the team score. you just have to be on the team that wins to get the 30 payout. if the loseing team gets 14 kills, they get 28 marks. maybe a minimum should be set too, 15-0 blowouts would suck if the other team gets 0 marks. maybe a minimum of 10 for the losers each match
  • Options
    dirtyharib0dirtyharib0 Member Posts: 47 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    How about this then, both teams get a mark for the total amount of kills in the game ( a close fought match giving each team 29 marks) and then the winning team getting a bonus mark (or maybe 2) for the difference in the score. That way the winning team would always get 30 marks and the loosing team 15-29 depending on there performance. I think this would at least encourage both sides to go for it till the final point is made.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    How about this then, both teams get a mark for the total amount of kills in the game ( a close fought match giving each team 29 marks) and then the winning team getting a bonus mark (or maybe 2) for the difference in the score. That way the winning team would always get 30 marks and the loosing team 15-29 depending on there performance. I think this would at least encourage both sides to go for it till the final point is made.

Apologies DDIS it seems I misunderstood your proposal. I actually really like this proposal as it would incentivize both side to try their hardest and, hopefully, discourage people who want to die fast for the rewards.

Aside from the marks however perhaps a modest boost to the dil earned and a major boost to the ec earn would also be warranted.

• Options
    therealmttherealmt Member Posts: 428 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Opvp numbers are still dropping even on peak times, I guess the OP has a point.

I guess the PvP content we got after 4 years wasnt as successful as people thought it would be :o
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    mimey2mimey2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    therealmt wrote: »

I guess the PvP content we got after 4 years wasnt as successful as people thought it would be :o

Indeed. Anytime I am on, it seems a lot more quiet overall. It's not dead silent by any stretch, but it is a great deal less talkative and such.
    I remain empathetic to the concerns of my community, but do me a favor and lay off the god damn name calling and petty remarks. It will get you nowhere.
    I must admit, respect points to Trendy for laying down the law like that.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    therealmt wrote: »

its not that they just aren't around in OPVP, its that they arent playing the game anymore at all. i see more and more people ive never encountered befor and dont subscribe to opvp in the ques though, i wouldn't read too much into it
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    its not that they just aren't around in OPVP, its that they arent playing the game anymore at all. i see more and more people ive never encountered befor and dont subscribe to opvp in the ques though, i wouldn't read too much into it

I have no idea who most of the people in OPVP are these days, which is why I don't write something there so often. But I was practically gone for about 2 years...
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    cidstormcidstorm Member Posts: 1,220 Arc User
    edited May 2014

This sounds pretty great.
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    read the proposal again. its not based on how many kills it shows a person has, its based on the team score. you just have to be on the team that wins to get the 30 payout. if the loseing team gets 14 kills, they get 28 marks. maybe a minimum should be set too, 15-0 blowouts would suck if the other team gets 0 marks. maybe a minimum of 10 for the losers each match

Cool idea, actually, I agree.

The only risk is people gamign the system and shooting each other to 15:14. But that's probably not something for the queues, and if the rewards are only given in the queues...
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.