test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Cryonic starship weapons.

senatorvreenaksenatorvreenak Member Posts: 0 Arc User
Ive always liked the Breen ice gun from the Breen story arc, the sound and the awesome cool icy beams it fires.
Its "unique" to say the least, with few other weapons like it.
And the Breen space set has a pretty cool icy effect on the engine trails.

Now what I would like to see if this taken further and somehow see cryonic weapons introduced as starship energy weapons.

They would of course fire icy energy particles like the ground weapons, but as a unique proc they could have something like a 2.5% chance to temporarily stop the cooldown timers on random boff powers for a few seconds.
And maybe eve have some sort of cryonic torpedoes and mines that can temporarily increase inertia and delay the firing cycles of weapons.

I think it would add a new and interesting dynamic to combat, and would be very "cool". :cool:
Post edited by senatorvreenak on

Comments

• Options
    reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Except it works on the ground because most species are full of warm liquids and react badly when that liquid solidifies. Starships are designed to operate in deep space, often at temperatures approaching absolute zero. I don't think they'd care.
  • Options
    killdozer9211killdozer9211 Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Reg beat me to it. But Yeah. Also, would andorian or breen ships even care?
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    And plasma weapons?
    Firing streams of "ionized gas" through space makes just as little sense. :rolleyes:
    Also, while space is cold it also isn't very conductive, and even in real life ships have needs to vent excess heat accumulated both from internal and external sources.
  • Options
    ortsimortsim Member Posts: 89 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Cryonic beam weapons don't seem too far fetched in their effectiveness. A small stacking "subnucleonic beam" type proc seems appropriate as well, assuming these beams limit environmental support and chills the crew (removed by standard debuff cleansers, which would fix the environmental problem). Another sensible option would be for them to cause the hull to become more brittle, decreasing kinetic damage resistance per debuff. It would make for a nice Breen series remastering related item (or perhaps the winter event).
  • Options
    killdozer9211killdozer9211 Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    And plasma weapons?
    Firing streams of "ionized gas" through space makes just as little sense. :rolleyes:
    Also, while space is cold it also isn't very conductive, and even in real life ships have needs to vent excess heat accumulated both from internal and external sources.

But that's just it... in space, heat is an enemy because it's hard to get rid of. So heating a ship would hurt it. Chilling one would probably help it more than anything...
  • Options
    darkjeffdarkjeff Member Posts: 2,590 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Not to mention that all the energy weapons are basically projecting energy at the enemy to muck up their hull. Plasma is in line with that.

"Cold" is the absence of energy. Projecting a lack of energy? Siphoning away their heat?
  • Options
    nulonunulonu Member Posts: 507 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Haven't fought them in awhile but don't Breen use polaron? I seem to remember that. I'm sure we'll get Breen lockbox eventually with an upgrade to their set/weapons. I just want cryonic mortars on the ground. :)
  • Options
    locutusofcactuslocutusofcactus Member Posts: 651 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    nulonu wrote: »
    ...I'm sure we'll get Breen lockbox eventually...

^I'm not so sure. They might be saving Breen ships for winter events only.

Considering how all the weapons in star trek and sto make noise in space, I don't think a logical argument using actual science to argue a point in this thread applies. :P
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    ^I'm not so sure. They might be saving Breen ships for winter events only.

Considering how all the weapons in star trek and sto make noise in space, I don't think a logical argument using actual science to argue a point in this thread applies. :P

Pretty much this.

I mean c'mon, somehow the Breen figured out a way to turn liquid nitrogen into an energy weapon with the CRM 200. :P
    And its definitely an energy beam since the Borg can adapt to it, and it can be "remodulated".

Thing is, space isn't a very good conductor and starships tend to produce a lot of heat with their power systems that needs to be vented, and I imagine directly applied rapid cooling or even an ice coating could cause some significant problems.
  • Options
    gigaman123gigaman123 Member Posts: 76 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Yes, but when something gets too cold, it crystalizes and shatters. It might possibly be effective.
    Veteran of STO, had it for 5 years. Unfortunately, my Original account is gone.

"Make it so" - Captain Picard

Build I am working for my Federation, Klingon, and Romulans.
  • Options
    ddesjardinsddesjardins Member Posts: 3,056 Media Corps
    edited May 2014
    Star Trek reality-mechanics aside...

Starships are already in the 'cold' of space. So a 'cold/ice' weapon seems unlikely.

Iced weapons are about removing energy in the form of heat from a target.

How about an Entropy Weapon instead? Something that draws all of the energy from a target and triggers a cascade collapse of heavier elements? It's proc would be cumulative in terms of energy loss over time.

Wait, we already have that. Polaron, Phased Polaron, Energy Siphon and the Plasmotic Leech.
  • Options
    darkjeffdarkjeff Member Posts: 2,590 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    This is all kind of silly anyway, given that the Breen use Disruptors.
  • Options
    wolverine595959wolverine595959 Member Posts: 726
    edited May 2014
    And plasma weapons?

Suns and stars seem to be able to handle the cold of space on their plasma. ;)
    Hey I Used to be Captain Data, well I guess I still am in game but the account link really screwed everything up :rolleyes:
  • Options
    this1isavailablethis1isavailable Member Posts: 228 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Cold of space? Your ship can lose heat in the form of radiations (not sure about the word in English) but it's minor compared to heat transfer between body masses.

And Star Trek is about Sci-Fi magic anyway so why not cryo weapons. More energy types is fun (i want electrical ones first :D).
  • Options
    hyefatherhyefather Member Posts: 1,286 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I tell you what the game needs. Its Proton weapons. Just plain proton. Theres already a few proton weapons in the game. This should have already happened.