What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

New sliders and organization coming soon to Character Creator/Tailor

Comments

• Options
    cerritourugcerritourug Member Posts: 1,376 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Type-in values are an interesting request but would require more work to address in this pass, but certainly something for us to consider later.

A better set-up for templates or copying and pasting proportions from character to character would be fantastic. As you could probably guess, also something out of scope for now, but definitely desirable.

As for changes to the UI layout (namely the head presets being in an awkward position), we have heard the feedback, but aren't getting UI dev time for the moment. The changes thus far (including the slider subheadings) have all been handled by the character team.

Also thanks for specific comments about species and body sliders. We may not get to them right away, but it's good to have them mentioned.

In other update news, we did some creative problem solving and you'll soon be able to decrease the appearance of the bust size with a newly added "Chest Depth" Slider.

It's not perfect, but without getting too technical, we have it go about as small as it can without it looking too distorted. Hopefully it will be received well.

As always, don't hesitate to give us feedback when you get your hands on the new changes.

Epic! And all that with also saving our current characters, what more can we ask?

Thank you sir.

Division Hispana
    www.divisionhispana.com
  • Options
    raistalionraistalion Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Type-in values are an interesting request but would require more work to address in this pass, but certainly something for us to consider later.

A better set-up for templates or copying and pasting proportions from character to character would be fantastic. As you could probably guess, also something out of scope for now, but definitely desirable.

As for changes to the UI layout (namely the head presets being in an awkward position), we have heard the feedback, but aren't getting UI dev time for the moment. The changes thus far (including the slider subheadings) have all been handled by the character team.

Also thanks for specific comments about species and body sliders. We may not get to them right away, but it's good to have them mentioned.

In other update news, we did some creative problem solving and you'll soon be able to decrease the appearance of the bust size with a newly added "Chest Depth" Slider.

It's not perfect, but without getting too technical, we have it go about as small as it can without it looking too distorted. Hopefully it will be received well.

As always, don't hesitate to give us feedback when you get your hands on the new changes.

Could we get a numerical rating for where we position the slider then? Would that be easier to implement in the short term? aka each slider has a rating of 0 to 100 so we can see what exact point we are at if trying to make duplicate positions across other slots/boffs.

- Raith
  • Options
    backyardserenadebackyardserenade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014

Woot! Sounds really cool, thanks for all the effort guys. Hope you get some UI time soon, but these changes already sound very good. Kudos!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Sometimes you have to do things that you hate, so you can survive to fight another day."
  • Options
    mightybobcncmightybobcnc Member Posts: 3,354 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    stuff

Hey Joe, I'd just like to thank you for coming in here and interacting with us forumites. It's great to have a direct channel to the people that Make Stuff Happen(TM), and it's really cool to get some previews and insight into what's coming in the short and the long term.

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
    Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.
  • Options
    frtoasterfrtoaster Member Posts: 3,352 Arc User
    edited May 2014

I understand that it's not something that can be done right away. I just thought that with so many people requesting numbers for the sliders, it would be better to give more detailed feedback.

I'm surprised that the UI changes were handled by the character team rather than the UI team. Is this division of labor normal, or does the UI team have too much work right now?

So there are three chest sliders now? Bust Size, Chest Size, and Chest Depth?
    raistalion wrote: »
    Could we get a numerical rating for where we position the slider then? Would that be easier to implement in the short term? aka each slider has a rating of 0 to 100 so we can see what exact point we are at if trying to make duplicate positions across other slots/boffs.

As I explained before, a raw value would be preferable to a number from 0 to 100.

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=16788021&postcount=26
    Waiting for a programmer ...
    qVpg1km.png
  • Options
    daboholicdaboholic Member Posts: 265 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Thank you for keeping us updated, mister. Can't wait to see the changes on Tribble! It's good to hear feedback from the developper team, and certainly feels good to know that suggesdtions from us do not end up somewhere in the black hole. :)

Agreed. Without wanting to sound like I'm having a pop at the other devs, it's amazing to see the amount of interaction and feedback we're getting from the character team.

You guys really do seem to be going above and beyond to try and give us the customisation options we'd like :D
  • Options
    crypticjoejingcrypticjoejing Member Posts: 211 Cryptic Developer
    edited May 2014
    frtoaster wrote: »

I'm surprised that the UI changes were handled by the character team rather than the UI team. Is this division of labor normal, or does the UI team have too much work right now?

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=16788021&postcount=26

UI team is definitely busy and sometimes those guys get shared across projects. Annnnd...really any time a task requires multiple disciplines it requires more planning, scheduling, prioritization...etc. Y'know, bureaucracy hell.

Luckily, in this case - the tech for the UI to "just work" is there, meaning anyone can just go into what are essentially a network of related text files and add all the appropriate lines and tags and tweak the values to have it appear "automatically" in game.

Unfortunately its difficult to understand and prone to errors (if I'm not mistaken, it's essentially the same system City of Heroes used - so pretty ancient tech).

So any work on it takes quite a bit of reverse engineering. Being on the technical side and all text based, obviously not exactly character art - but it couldn't be done right without a character artist either. Honestly, its more the sort of thing for a technical artist. But alas, that's another position shared across projects - and his focus is more on fixing bigger problems and/or Neverwinter.

Think I've possibly lost the point I was intending to make in my rambling, but basically it isn't easy finding a dev with the right mix of skill sets and time in their schedule to take this on.
  • Options
    captaind3captaind3 Member Posts: 2,449 Arc User
    edited May 2014

Fascinating, so the UI engineers have to be shared across not only the STO team, but all of Cryptic? Curiouser and curiouser.

Who has Data's job? Operations Manager that is. The person that allocates resources.

Excellent glad to know you're hearing us out, and fingers crossed on how well the chest depth works.

It's impressive to see you guys tweaking things with just ingenuity and hard work.
    Thanks for all the hard work! Glad to see some improvements to an already amazing character creation system.

I know that some people have already asked for more complexion type things, which would be great. I was wondering if it might be possible to break the "age" texture maps out to overlay on top of the existing complexions, similar to the way tattoos and scars work now. This would allow for even more diversity in my opinion.

On a separate note, I'd love to see some of the non-human races get some more diverse facial appearance as well. My Klingon BOFF has no real facial options, and the Ferengi really need some help there too.

Thanks again!
    In addition to the complexion, could we see a multiple layer pattern for aliens.

For instance I would like to be able to use spots and makeup on one alien, or two patterns on another.

Also Suliban.
    daboholic wrote: »
    Agreed. Without wanting to sound like I'm having a pop at the other devs, it's amazing to see the amount of interaction and feedback we're getting from the character team.

You guys really do seem to be going above and beyond to try and give us the customisation options we'd like :D

I'd say it's competition, the environment team was really interacting with us on new ESD.
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo9_r1_400.gif
    "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited May 2014

Magnificent!
  • Options
    phenomenaut01phenomenaut01 Member Posts: 714 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    captaind3 wrote: »
    Fascinating, so the UI engineers have to be shared across not only the STO team, but all of Cryptic? Curiouser and curiouser.

Who has Data's job? Operations Manager that is. The person that allocates resources.

Excellent glad to know you're hearing us out, and fingers crossed on how well the chest depth works.

It's impressive to see you guys tweaking things with just ingenuity and hard work.

In addition to the complexion, could we see a multiple layer pattern for aliens.

For instance I would like to be able to use spots and makeup on one alien, or two patterns on another.

Also Suliban.

I'd say it's competition, the environment team was really interacting with us on new ESD.

Fascinating. Thanks for the glimpse behind the curtain. You guys should do a blog post feature about what it takes to create a specific piece of content for the game and who does what where.

I know I'd read it.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Fascinating. Thanks for the glimpse behind the curtain. You guys should do a blog post feature about what it takes to create a specific piece of content for the game and who does what where.

I know I'd read it.

Wasn't the last behind the scenes blog very popular? The one showing the construction of new ESD. Actually I greatly enjoyed the Dyson's Sphere and Science Destroyer blogs too.
    "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"
  • Options
    wardmattwardmatt Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Perhaps as a suggestion of a more wider scope for your programers would to be as the work on difrent parts of the game to write notes and explinaitons for diffrent stuff. You mentioned that the UI is set in some text file but is prone to errors. I would think that the next person to work on it would document how each part works so that when someone else looks top change something they can look over the previous persons notes so that they know what was change and how it works. That way when they make changes it reduces the error by them not trying same stuff again.
    Basicly write documention on how each part works and maby even an example would be good to have This is quite common in dev kits for distubution such as java dev kits and the like. Yes I know this game is not as simple as java it is just an example.
    "We've Been Looking For The Enemy For Some Time Now. We've Finally Found Him. We're Surrounded. That Simplifies Things"
    - Lewis Burwell "chesty" Puller
    How Romulans Should Choose What Faction They Are In
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    UI team is definitely busy and sometimes those guys get shared across projects. Annnnd...really any time a task requires multiple disciplines it requires more planning, scheduling, prioritization...etc. Y'know, bureaucracy hell.

Luckily, in this case - the tech for the UI to "just work" is there, meaning anyone can just go into what are essentially a network of related text files and add all the appropriate lines and tags and tweak the values to have it appear "automatically" in game.

Unfortunately its difficult to understand and prone to errors (if I'm not mistaken, it's essentially the same system City of Heroes used - so pretty ancient tech).

So any work on it takes quite a bit of reverse engineering. Being on the technical side and all text based, obviously not exactly character art - but it couldn't be done right without a character artist either. Honestly, its more the sort of thing for a technical artist. But alas, that's another position shared across projects - and his focus is more on fixing bigger problems and/or Neverwinter.

Think I've possibly lost the point I was intending to make in my rambling, but basically it isn't easy finding a dev with the right mix of skill sets and time in their schedule to take this on.

I think I understand what you are saying. There are chrome or skin files that you can edit to customize the UI, but anything that is not already supported by the file format has to be done by the UI team. Of course, the sliders won't function unless a character artist makes the appropriate changes to the character models, so you require either the coordination of both teams or someone with both skill sets.
    wardmatt wrote: »
    Perhaps as a suggestion of a more wider scope for your programers would to be as the work on difrent parts of the game to write notes and explinaitons for diffrent stuff. You mentioned that the UI is set in some text file but is prone to errors. I would think that the next person to work on it would document how each part works so that when someone else looks top change something they can look over the previous persons notes so that they know what was change and how it works. That way when they make changes it reduces the error by them not trying same stuff again.
    Basicly write documention on how each part works and maby even an example would be good to have This is quite common in dev kits for distubution such as java dev kits and the like. Yes I know this game is not as simple as java it is just an example.

My experience is that internal documentation quickly becomes outdated. External APIs like the Java development kits are slightly different in that your documentation needs to be up to date for your users. In the ideal situation, internal documentation would be kept up to date as well, but in practice, this ideal is rarely met.
    qVpg1km.png
  • Options
    mergallenfurmergallenfur Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Any chance you guys can lighten up on the slider restrictions in the Romulan-side Alien creator while you're doing this? The range of the sliders there seem especially restrictive when compared to the Fed or Klingon version, most notably the overall height and various face sliders.
  • Options
    thefastone21thefastone21 Member Posts: 210 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Cool. :D:eek:;):o
  • Options
    generalmocogeneralmoco Member Posts: 1,634
    edited May 2014
    Very Nice Indeed..... I luve it...

So what is the ETA on this new feature??? Future Update or Seasonal Update???
  • Options
    orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    So what is the ETA on this new feature??? Future Update or Seasonal Update???
    And will you guys keep the name of the Badonkadonk slider?

For me? <3
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Not to rush you guys or anything, any idea when we might see some of these things on Tribble for testing?
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Yeah it's been awhile since this was brought up. Just curious about an ETA, nothing more. :cool:
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Okay, I just thought of a new slider that while it may seem a touch inappropriate bear with me here.

There should probably be a cleavage slider. I'm serious, because as we all know the TRIBBLE in this game are...less than realistic. Aside from the preternatural perkiness/general shape, there's also the fact that in a Starfleet open shirt uniform, females will have no cleavage at all, which also looks unnatural.

The slider would essentially be how full or close the intermammary cleft would be. Some TRIBBLE are far apart, others are quite close, some are a little lower, some higher.

I don't know, maybe I'm nuts, but it popped into my head.
  • Options
    psiameesepsiameese Member Posts: 1,646 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    captaind3 wrote: »
    I don't know, maybe I'm nuts, but it popped into my head.
    Or you were staring at your awesome signature. :cool:
    (/\) Exploring Star Trek Online Since July 2008 (/\)
  • Options
    jodarkriderjodarkrider Member Posts: 2,097 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Agreed. I would love to see some picturessss at least, if not ETA when this will be on Tribble... :)
    [10:20] Your Lunge deals 4798 (2580) Physical Damage(Critical) to Tosk of Borg.

Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator
    "bIghojchugh DaneH, Dumev pagh. bIghojqangbe'chugh, DuQaHlaH pagh."
    "Learn lots. Don't judge. Laugh for no reason. Be nice. Seek happiness." ~Day[9] 
    "Your fun isn't wrong." ~LaughingTrendy

Find me on Twitterverse - @jodarkrider

• Options
    edited May 2014
    psiameese wrote: »
    That's a possibility :rolleyes:

Maybe looking at old pictures of Deanna Troi and B'Etor.
    Agreed. I would love to see some picturessss at least, if not ETA when this will be on Tribble... :)

Actually a little WIP goodness never hurt anybody. :cool:
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    psiameese wrote: »

You're welcome.
  • Options
    guriphuguriphu Member Posts: 494 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Dear Cryptic,

We have had a boob slider since 2009. Now we are getting a butt slider.

When can we expect a "groin volume" slider for male characters?

Yours,
    -Subu

PS: iirc STO's character models aren't self-shadowing, so cleavage would have to be painted on, even if everybody wore a wonderbra.
  • Options
    doffingcomradedoffingcomrade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    orangeitis wrote: »
    And will you guys keep the name of the Badonkadonk slider?
    Wait, this is a thing? I thought someone photoshopped that in there.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    guriphu wrote: »
    Dear Cryptic,

We have had a boob slider since 2009. Now we are getting a butt slider.

When can we expect a "groin volume" slider for male characters?

Yours,
    -Subu

PS: iirc STO's character models aren't self-shadowing, so cleavage would have to be painted on, even if everybody wore a wonderbra.
    Nice one :)
    Wait, this is a thing? I thought someone photoshopped that in there.
    WIP. It's not intended to reach holodeck like that :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    docducksdocducks Member Posts: 50 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Groin slider to the right... it's the only way.
  • Options
    erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    docducks wrote: »
    Groin slider to the right... it's the only way.
    Are you happy to see me or is that a phaser in your pocket ?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    I don't know if it has already been mentioned in this thread, but the Gorn mass and physique sliders have been missing for a long time. Is there any chance we can get them back?

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=750021
    qVpg1km.png