test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Coloring of your ship

greycobaltgreycobalt Member Posts: 18 Arc User
edited May 2014 in The Academy
Back when the game launched (and for a year or so after), you could change the colors on your ship hull to almost anything. I saw some pretty outlandish things (my friend's ship being one of them), and I've noticed since I started again I don't see that anymore. Did they tone down or negate the coloring? I tried changing the color palette on mine and it didn't seem to have any effect.
Post edited by greycobalt on

Comments

• Options
    somebobsomebob Member Posts: 556 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Try hitting the Random button first and see if that helps.

You can still color your ship but how it works is...bugged. And has been for quite some time now.
    Owner and Lead Moderator for the Primus Database. Post your Hero today!
    Razira's Primus Database Page
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    dahminusdahminus Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    The risian corvette has an extreme colour pallete

Some "shields" do radical colour changes to your ship. The reman and Jem hadar are rather fancy
    Chive on and prosper, eh?

My PvE/PvP hybrid skill tree
  • Options
    chroma01chroma01 Member Posts: 60 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Disable the visuals on your Shields, and some other items too, I believe, and you'll see your "base" hull colour.
  • Options
    kaloriaa4kaloriaa4 Member Posts: 86 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I want more options to color my ship as well. But not really needed but it be cool. Why can't metal be different colors why only grey?

Also why only paint just small parts of the ship why not the whole ship?
  • Options
    dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    kaloriaa4 wrote: »
    I want more options to color my ship as well. But not really needed but it be cool. Why can't metal be different colors why only grey?

Also why only paint just small parts of the ship why not the whole ship?

Yeah, there are alot of options at the ship tailor but they are all so minor if you look at a ship from a difference. Cryptic needs to make some bold choices available. Even a solid color option would be welcome.
  • Options
    ortsimortsim Member Posts: 89 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Some of the ships do seem rather limited in color customization and the palette tends to be limited to very dark or light colors, vibrant options are rather limited. You might have to play around with the material type or ship parts to find a more customizable piece. I my current Vesta is primarily white on the nacelles and hull with light blue/teal-ish color on the saucer and a light yellow/gold trim on the saucer edges. It does seem they've toned it down vs beta/launch, but there are still some options (personally I miss setting the color of beams, but I admit that it was not very "Trek", RIP gold tetryon beams and hot pink phasers).
  • Options
    sirokksirokk Member Posts: 990 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I have not been able to change the stencil color for a long time. Can't remember if I tried to turn off visuals on the shields, etc.

I'd settle for just blue instead of black. I'll have to try again.
    Star Trek Battles Channel - Play Star Trek like they did in the series!Avatar: pinterest-com/pin/14003448816884219Are you sure it isn't time for a "colorful metaphor"? --Spock in 'The Voyage Home'
    SCE ADVISORY NOTICE: Improper Impulse Engine maintenance can result in REAR THRUSTER LEAKAGE. ALWAYS have your work inspected by another qualified officer.
  • Options
    shockwave85shockwave85 Member Posts: 1,040 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Part of it depends on the ship material as well. Some materials will make the hull reflective, which can cause the colors you see in the tailor to be misleading. Once you take it out, sometimes you can see the color better. Still, often times the colors will just be a faint tint if they change anything at all.
    ssog-maco-sig.jpg
  • Options
    jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Hmmmm....

Hot Pink Scimitar.
  • Options
    bendalekbendalek Member Posts: 1,781 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    jaguarskx wrote: »
    Hmmmm....

Hot Pink Scimitar.

I was waiting for it ... :rolleyes:

Mind you, My Orion Girl did have a grey/green BoP with hot pink decals all over it ... Looked totally smexy ... :D
    Oh, hoho hohhhhh, Oh,, hoho, hohhhhh
    My%20STO%20Sig%20Clear_zps5etu86s1.png
  • Options
    sirokksirokk Member Posts: 990 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    sirokk wrote: »
    I have not been able to change the stencil color for a long time. Can't remember if I tried to turn off visuals on the shields, etc.

I'd settle for just blue instead of black. I'll have to try again.

Um... no... the stencil colors DO NOT change. Disabled all console visuals...the colors are only black, black or black.

If you have to change ship materials, then the color change is TOO SUBTLE and should be modified to be brighter.

I remember doing this before and was able to get dark red, dark green, dark blue... etc. but it doesn't work anymore.

Devs, please un-nerf ship paints! :P
    Star Trek Battles Channel - Play Star Trek like they did in the series!Avatar: pinterest-com/pin/14003448816884219Are you sure it isn't time for a "colorful metaphor"? --Spock in 'The Voyage Home'
    SCE ADVISORY NOTICE: Improper Impulse Engine maintenance can result in REAR THRUSTER LEAKAGE. ALWAYS have your work inspected by another qualified officer.