test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

I would like to see a way where we can have fights inside the ships.

daniel672daniel672 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited May 2014 in Federation Discussion
This would be cool if we could have fights inside the ship. And in the air and on land :)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    daniel672 wrote: »
    This would be cool if we could have fights inside the ship.
    Some Foundry missions feature boarding actions against your ship.
    And in the air
    Undine BZ. "Atmosphere Assault".
    and on land :)
    Voth BZ, ground STFs, and almost every single storyline mission.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • daniel672daniel672 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    It would be cool to have an option to do with every ship you fight in any mission or space battle. Then that way some new people will join more and have more fun. If you get what i'm trying to say here.
  • icsairgunsicsairguns Member Posts: 1,504 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    capture the ship, execute the crew and tractor the hull back to home world as a trophy. I like it.

ohh wait this is the feddy bear gameplay section sorry. LOL nah stupid idea here great idea KDF side.
    Trophies for killing FEDS ahh those were the days. Ch'ar%20POST%20LoR.JPG

• centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    God kills a child every time someone says the words "Feddy Bear".
  • emarosa26emarosa26 Member Posts: 125 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Are you trying to say see a space battle while on the bridge of a ship? Sadly that would take a LOT of work for the developers, with little reward.

:D:D:D:D
  • icsairgunsicsairguns Member Posts: 1,504 Arc User
    edited May 2014

that's why the Klignons killed their gods. that way we don't have the same issues as you Feddy bears. opps there goes another one. LOL
    Trophies for killing FEDS ahh those were the days. Ch'ar%20POST%20LoR.JPG

• plaztikman64plaztikman64 Member Posts: 725 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    The D'Kora bridge would be perfect for that :D
  • red01999red01999 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    In theory, this is a good idea.

In practice, this is a terrible idea, and there are at least two main reasons.

1) When someone else boards your ship, you are forced into either a PvE or PvP ground mission or micro-mission that you very well may not want to play (some people disdain ground utterly), or even be equipped to play (some people leave ground gear/traits at home when not intending to do so). This could even end up being something of a griefing option, by continually tugging people into ground micro-missions.

2) While you are controlling your guy inside, your ship is outside, being controlled by an AI that is at best a mild improvement over the AI that controls the ships that you blow to pieces on a regular basis, and that sends your fighters/Aquarius/MVAE sections/saucer to go and insist on observing warp core breaches from a range of 3 centimeters.

There are plenty more problems that go with these, and technical problems with all of them, but ultimately it would be an unpleasant experience for a lot of people, and even the ones who want it may end up finding it is a chore that tears them away from what they really want to do.

This idea has come up many times in many different ways and contexts, and while I am not trying to discourage you, OP, you do need to think about things like this when coming up with ideas if you want them to gain much support.
  • xigbargxigbarg Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    icsairguns wrote: »
    that's why the Klignons killed their gods. that way we don't have the same issues as you Feddy bears. opps there goes another one. LOL

I see it more as a sign that people lack creativity than an insult. Hurt me like you mean it, dang it! Prove to me that Q isn't right. That Klingons have brains larger than a peanut.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,980 Arc User
    edited May 2014

So basically what you're saying is that the Klingons don't have any gods to keep the great lord deity of the Federation (which also makes all the convenient plot holes) from killing YOUR children whenever the phrase [Redacted] is used.

Good move there. :P

Anyway, to the actual point of the thread stuff going on inside your own ship would be of great interest. Look at, say, where Star Trek has mostly taken place and then look at Star Trek Online. There's a pretty big difference and its all to simply do (getting beyond the differential constraints and strengths of show and game) of how little involvement we have with the central figure of each show and movie. It's the ship, the station, the stuff going on behind the scenes when we hit the "torp high yield" button.

Adding content to our own ships would be a great way of flushing out a more familiar ST feel from STO (in addition to combat segments, more dialog driven dailies [similar to what we have for starbases] and new services) but that should probably come after some pretty serious revamps to, say, exploration which would do a hell of a lot more to achieve ST's ambitions in pixel driven format.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • melchior2003melchior2003 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014

Eat any good books lately?
  • cavaleriuscavalerius Member Posts: 126 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I think we're looking at this the wrong way.

Yes, if boarding actions were added as you said, it would become a troll option.

Fighting an enemy player in Ker'rat, their vessel is near destruction... SUDDENLY the game freezes, goes to loading screen and your in your ship fighting against boarding parties. You hate ground combat, too ungainly to use. Your bout to lose when the corridors explode. Apparently a borg cube had appeared and incinerates both vessels...

Rather, I think it would be better to add boarding parties to the game. It would function little bit like a Doff assignment, only you have a max of three teams. One team per npc vessel only. You can upgrade the teams to increase their chance of success.

When an enemy vessel loses its shields and has >25 hp, you can send a boarding party over, either to capture tech (shields, weapons) or consumables. You stay on your ship and continue fighting, and after a couple of minutes, the team either returns from a failed mission and has a cool down timer from suffering casualties, or they return with rewards from the ship. This could be a solution to ships dropping useless loot...

When you're at the npc boss ship, there should be an option for you to accompany your boarding party with your away team, and try capturing the ship for a special award (dilithium?).

PVP happens too fast in my opinion to allow boarding parties...
    Beta Antares Shipyards advanced Starship development project.
    CLASSIFIED
    [SIGPIC]the_forseeable_future_by_jetfreak_7-d3dvsud.png
    [/SIGPIC]
    SUPPORT LOGICAL FEDERATION STARSHIP DESIGNS!