test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Shiny Ship Hull - How to get?

cancelleracancellera Member Posts: 77 Arc User
edited May 2014 in Federation Discussion
Hi folks,

I'm sure some of you have seen fed ships with a silver reflective hull, shiny. Imagine an avenger class cruiser with a silver base hull and reflective stripes where the black marks would usually be.

Does anyone know how to get this look? Is it done through the shipyard (which doesn't seem to be the case), or does it come with a sapce equipment set?

THanks!
Post edited by cancellera on

Comments

• misterde3misterde3 Member Posts: 4,195 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Given your description I'd guess you're talking about the MACO space set which has a shield that provides this effect.
    Did the hull by any chance look something like this?

http://i1126.photobucket.com/albums/l620/Agustin_Ross/screenshot_2012-03-24-22-11-04.jpg
  • tcostiktcostik Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Sounds like the fleet hull material.
  • cancelleracancellera Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    @misterde3 yep I think so! There's only one way to get that sort of sheen right? How do you get his MACO set up?
  • gwassalorgwassalor Member Posts: 164
    edited January 2014
    You do not need whole set. The shiny hull effect is provided by MACO Shield Array. The Shield Array is obtainable by Task Force Omega Reputation System, more info here: http://sto.gamepedia.com/M.A.C.O._%28Space%29

And btw this shield has a reputation of one of the best shields in the game.

Another shiny material is provided by specific fleet ship material, available only to the fleet ships and selectable at ship tailor. But that one awkwardly only shines on some ships. For example Fleet Armitage has only small shiny strips and the bigger part of hull is matte.
  • earlnyghthawkearlnyghthawk Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    The MACO set is part of the Omega rep. There are 3 space sets (not counting the fact that there are also 3 Mk's of it as well (X, XI, & XII)

They are:
    Borg Assimilated
    MACO
    Adapted MACO

Klin side, replace one of those (I think MACO), with the Klingon Honor Guard (Or KHG)

To get them, run a project, for whatever piece it it, that you want, just like you ran the xp projects.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    butcher suspect, "What'd you hit me with?"
    Temperance Brennan, "A building"
  • unangbangkayunangbangkay Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    cancellera wrote: »
    Hi folks,

I'm sure some of you have seen fed ships with a silver reflective hull, shiny. Imagine an avenger class cruiser with a silver base hull and reflective stripes where the black marks would usually be.

Does anyone know how to get this look? Is it done through the shipyard (which doesn't seem to be the case), or does it come with a sapce equipment set?

THanks!

If you're talking about a "silver base hull" and "reflective stripes where the black marks would be", then the Fleet Hull Material would come closest to that description. Unfortunately that material is exclusive to Fleet ships, and getting a Fleet ship requires considerably more investment than getting a MACO shield array.

The MACO shield array just applies a blanket "shiny" sheen to the whole hull that usually preserves paint patterns, like the black stripes common on the "Andromeda" default paint pattern.

The Fleet material material replaces the base hull color with a silver-grey, and if combined with the Fleet paint patterns exclusive to that material, replaces any "black stripe" areas with a reflective chrome-like color.

Here's a couple of shots of my Fleet Avenger with the Fleet hull material:

In the Ship customizer

In Spaaaaaace
  • valrobertson93#5365 valrobertson93 Member Posts: 64 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    As someone who has both, both the fleet and MACO effect seem to put the shiny effect on the same portions of the ship. From what the OP is describing, I think he's talking about the MACO shield.
    The Valiant Valerie
  • joshglassjoshglass Member Posts: 159 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Hi folks,

THanks!

Besides the MACO and Fleet there is also the Veteran Skin which makes fed ships look shiny and somewhat lit by neon lights.
    edited January 2014
    If you're talking about a "silver base hull" and "reflective stripes where the black marks would be", then the Fleet Hull Material would come closest to that description. Unfortunately that material is exclusive to Fleet ships, and getting a Fleet ship requires considerably more investment than getting a MACO shield array.

The MACO shield array just applies a blanket "shiny" sheen to the whole hull that usually preserves paint patterns, like the black stripes common on the "Andromeda" default paint pattern.

The Fleet material material replaces the base hull color with a silver-grey, and if combined with the Fleet paint patterns exclusive to that material, replaces any "black stripe" areas with a reflective chrome-like color.

Here's a couple of shots of my Fleet Avenger with the Fleet hull material:

In the Ship customizer

In Spaaaaaace

That's exactly what I'm looking for! And my fleet is close to Tier IV already. Does that look still require the MACO shield?
    edited January 2014
    Hahas, a doff wax in wax out? Sulu have anything to do with that? :P
  • unangbangkayunangbangkay Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    That's exactly what I'm looking for! And my fleet is close to Tier IV already. Does that look still require the MACO shield?

Happy to help!

No, it does NOT require the MACO shield. In fact, to get this exact look I had to "disable visuals" on the MACO shield I had equipped. All you need is the Fleet Hull Material, and Fleet Paint Pattern 2. The little black marks you see on the shiny parts in the pictures can be erased by setting the paint color to white, I just wanted them there for texture.

However, this look is only available on Fleet ships, as mentioned, so you need access to a Fleet with an appropriate tier of shipyard (or Spire, depending on the ship you want to get), as well as the required number of Fleet Ship Modules (available from the C-store or Exchange) and Fleet Credits (earned by contributing to fleet holdings or doing content).

Fleet Ship Modules cost 500z each and you usually need 4 to get a Fleet ship, but if you own the C-store retrofit versions of certain ships the discount can be reduced to just 1 module. Not every ship has a C-store retrofit so it doesn't apply to everything that's available (like the Fleet Heavy Cruiser, for example).

And don't forget, Fleet ships are PER CHARACTER, so buy it on the character you want it for. And DO NOT discharge it - you'll lose it FOREVER!
  • gwassalorgwassalor Member Posts: 164
    edited January 2014
    Never noticed there were specific Fleet Paint Patterns. Thx. Will experiment with it on my Fleet Armitage :D
  • igloodudeigloodude Member Posts: 66 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    There's also a Reman shield (that you get as a mission reward) that turns your hull dark and shiny, too.
    "B'rel is klingon for 'TRIBBLE'." -cmdrskyfaller
  • vgaserty618vgaserty618 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    maco is really hard to get
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    maco is really hard to get

No harder than any Mk XII set via the different Reputation branches.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • emarosa26emarosa26 Member Posts: 125 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    igloodude wrote: »
    There's also a Reman shield (that you get as a mission reward) that turns your hull dark and shiny, too.

I got that when I was a noob, and was so, so confused. It's so purdy on some ships though. One others, it can be kind of awkward looking though.
  • admiralcarteradmiralcarter Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Especially on Galaxys and Ambassadors...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Star Trek Online Intro HD [3rd Fleet Anniversary]